Endangering the life of a person in a vehicle

redsonic

Endangering the life of a person in a vehicle

Postby redsonic » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:14 pm

Quite amazing that Queensland Motorcycle Police, when swerved at by a car, can come up with a charge "Endangering the life of a person in a vehicle" but can't possibly enforce metre passing laws.

ABC News
He was charged with dangerous driving, endangering the life of a person in a vehicle and failing to stop, and was remanded in custody.
I am not belittling the offence, but have never heard of it, and I imagine that those of us who have been deliberately harassed, swerved at, or had objects thrown at us are wondering why the police didn't suggest this charge be brought.

Thoglette

Re: Endangering the life of a person in a vehicle

Postby Thoglette » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:45 pm

redsonic wrote:I am not belittling the offence, but have never heard of it, and I imagine that those of us who have been deliberately harassed, swerved at, or had objects thrown at us are wondering why the police didn't suggest this charge be brought.
Simple: you're wearing the wrong shirt.

No smiley.

In WA the police believed that without actual contact they couldn't lay the equivalent charge, even with video evidence of collision avoidance by the cyclist (IIRC aushiker posted transcripts of his attempts to get charges laid). This was not, to my knowledge, supported by case law.

This refusal to use the existing laws was one of the main drivers for the meter passing laws.

Likewise much of this sort of behaviour is covered by existing assault laws: if you create a belief that you will cause an injury that's (prima face) assault. Again, to my knowledge, never laid for throwing bottles or swerving passes. (Stopping and waving a knife around in front of a camera does seem to do it)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:43 pm

Thoglette wrote: This refusal to use the existing laws was one of the main drivers for the meter passing laws.
I fail to see how introducing a new law thay can also refuse to use can possibly remedy this.
Oh wait, it hasn't. :roll:

Ken

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:46 pm

human909

Postby human909 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:11 pm

Empathy. Until the public and the police develop empathy for people riding bicycles close passes will continue and lack of enforcement or road rules protecting cycling will remain.

Unfortunately in many places our society (the public and law enforcement) are at the opposite end of the spectrum. Dislike and hate.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:14 am

Of course police care a whole lot more when they are personally attacked.

Get unmarked bicycle police out on the roads and watch them quickly get worked up.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:22 pm

Jmuzz wrote:Of course police care a whole lot more when they are personally attacked.

Get unmarked bicycle police out on the roads and watch them quickly get worked up.
Fat chance of that. Their OH&S people would never allow it (and no doubt the irony of that would be completely lost on them, too).

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:55 pm

Jmuzz wrote:Of course police care a whole lot more when they are personally attacked.

Driving behaviour too would change very fast.

As long as they are riding random bikes.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:32 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:

Fat chance of that. Their OH&S people would never allow it (and no doubt the irony of that would be completely lost on them, too).
Yes they do. I've been collared on Bell St, Preston.

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:27 pm

fat and old wrote:Yes they do. I've been collared on Bell St, Preston.
Tell us more! :mrgreen:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:34 am

I've had numerous clearly deliberate close passes, but QPS won't enforce because .. who knows.

Clearly they have two standards though..