POLL - Your bike. How old and how much?

How old (since new) and how much did you buyyour bike(s) for? (Two most frequently used bikes.)

<$400
4%
<$800
5%
<$1300
8%
<$2000
9%
<$3000
9%
<$4500
8%
<$6500
2%
>$6500
6%
<1 year
7%
<2 years
7%
<3 years
7%
<5 years
9%
<8 years
8%
<13 years
5%
<20 years
1%
<30 years
2%
>30 years
4%

Total votes: 306
human909

Postby human909 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:32 am

Hey all, I though this might be a bit of fun. It was inspired by the "Best bikes under 6500$" thread along with my curiosity.

If your bike is particularly cheap/expensive or old please tell us more!

human909

Re: POLL - Your bike. How old and how much?

Postby human909 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:34 am

Bought a Giant ATX 840 brand new for $1200 in 1999. A mountain bike but with thin slicks it makes a decent workhorse commuter. Almost 20 years of ownership is pretty good.

Bought 2nd hand a Sakae Litage ~1991 Vintage. $450. It is my road bike beauty, rides like a dream.

My next bike will probably be something reasonably modern. When my commuting patterns change back to riding every day I expect to drop $1-$2k on a decent commuting bike either new or near new.
Last edited by human909 on Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:04 am

Bought my Kona Paddywagon new in 2009 for $1000.

Bought my '85 Pinarello Montello second hand for $300...have spent ten times that restoring it.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:34 am

Which one? not an easy question to answer. Most of my bikes are built, and upgraded over time. But Dec last year I purchased a new Trek Remedy for $3.5k. First new bike from a shop since last century, but I have bought, built and sold a myriad of second hand bikes since then.
Currently:
Flat bar roadie (disc), new frame + transferred near new components from a damaged bike purchased cheap. About $700, 12months old
Fixie: Vintage steel, some new components, about $350, built 2013.
Vintage MTB x 2. One bought new in '97, the other for $150 about 3 months ago.
Big W fat bike with a budget weight loss program. Owes about $200, 2.5yrs ago.
Cruiser: about $50, 4 months.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:54 am

Couldn't really say - I do have one bike that would be extremely expensive (+$15k) to buy here in the shops new, but I didn't get it that way or pay that much. I got the never used frameset from a pro team and built it up from parts I either already had or purchased the ones I didn't have. It is only missing the big chain-ring setup and a deep Mavic front wheel + disc rear wheel. And maybe Garmin vector pedals.

My bikes are all 2014 or earlier vintage, but some of them have been upgraded way beyond original fit out.

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:25 pm

bychosis wrote:Which one? not an easy question to answer. Most of my bikes are built, and upgraded over time. But Dec last year I purchased a new Trek Remedy for $3.5k. First new bike from a shop since last century, but I have bought, built and sold a myriad of second hand bikes since then.

g-boaf wrote:Couldn't really say - I do have one bike that would be extremely expensive (+$15k) to buy here in the shops new, but I didn't get it that way or pay that much. ......

My bikes are all 2014 or earlier vintage, but some of them have been upgraded way beyond original fit out.

Yeah, it is a question that doesn't have an easy or obvious answer for some. But I still think it yields an informative picture on the whole.
Older bikes that have been well used have likely had many consumables replaced.

craigg

Postby craigg » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:26 pm

I bought an 07 Giant TCR A1 Alliance in late 2008 for around $1500 which is still going strong. Is on it's 4th wheelset and have replaced the bottom bracket 3 times, front derailleur, jockey wheels and big chainring. It came with Ultegra 10 speed, the brifters and calipers and rear derailleur are still going strong.

The frame has seen better days but is still serviceable, it was one of the early hybrid aluminium / carbon frames when carbon was still exotic and hideously expensive.

My other is a Steel Thorn Audax MkIII in British Racing Green bought as a frameset and built up with 105 5600, brooks saddle, carbon steerer for around $1800. I got it in early 2009 to do that years London Edinburgh London, it's been to Europe a few times since and now does duty as my daily commuter. It's great, similar wheelbase and geometry to the Giant but with 50/34 instead of 53/39 and mountain cleats rather than road.

Over the years both have converged to having common components for things like BB, chain, brake inserts, wheelset and tubes to keep maintenance easy and cheap.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:25 pm

I put the newer, fancier bike in. Also have the mighty Apollo, 200 bucks in 1999, going strong.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:44 pm

The roadie is currently a 80s Vitus Dural frame with 2016 campy chorus....poll fail :wink:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:12 pm

Yep.. that was a tough one. So many bikes... :twisted:

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:16 pm

2003 Avanti Montari hardtail MTB - about $1000 new at the time (can't remember if that was the bike, or the bike/locl/pedals etc combo price).
2016 Giant Contend SL1 Disc road bike - $1500.

Don't have the funds to replace either for the foreseeable future :D Although I did replace the stock wheels on the road bike which has improved it in a big way.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:32 pm

@human909 - you do know it is also your responsibility to do some funky maths so that it all makes sense.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:43 pm

human909 wrote:Yeah, it is a question that doesn't have an easy or obvious answer for some. But I still think it yields an informative picture on the whole.

And you know what, the bike I ride the most - it was a very top end road bike back in 2014 and with all the component upgrades on it, it still is very top end today. I can't think of another bike I would enjoy riding more - or any today that do anything better than it.

I've lost count of the kilometres I've done on that bike. Just this year already it has got another 10,500km on it - I ride it everywhere.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:53 pm

Most frequently used by how often or mileage?

I own a few bikes, use varies, a couple of been out of service for repairs/groupset swaps etc.

In last 12 months, most used:

over 110 days, but less than 500kms 1990 Repco Superlight, bought it a few years for back $60 with a larger Olympic 14 (which I passed on). New chain, brake blocks, cables. Upgraded with used wheels, tyres and saddle I had lying around so less than $200, used to be pub bike, ride to work 40km, go to pub, lock bike outside pub, take bike home on train. Been pressed into service as my ride to train station, leave in cage all day, if I lose it will not be disaster, ride home.

80 days, 4,500km 2017 Canyon Ultimate AL9 SLX, my race bike, used for racing, some training and some fast group rides, cost a little over $4K on special with SRAM Red and Reynolds wheels.

60 days, 3,000km 2010? Canyon Ultimate AL8, had been my race bike for last 3 years, decided it was about time to get a medium frame and not a small and the 2017 model came up on special. Relegated to training, group rides and the odd race. Bought it as a frameset here 4+ years ago for $400, running SRAM red 10, decent build kit and now alloy wheels, cost of current build well under $2k. (with power meter and deep carbons under $4k)

There was another 5 bikes splitting 60 days and another 3,000kms

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:57 pm

human909 wrote:Yeah, it is a question that doesn't have an easy or obvious answer for some. But I still think it yields an informative picture on the whole.

I guess in reality I have one high budget bike - my mountain bike. Originally purchased ‘for life’ then replaced when broken after close to 10 years (twice. I like to wear things out). Other bikes just stop me wearing out an expensive bike outside it’s intended use and get turned over because upgraditis. Can justify buying and selling cheap stuff a lot easier than expensive stuff.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:05 pm

AUbicycles wrote:@human909 - you do know it is also your responsibility to do some funky maths so that it all makes sense.

Absolutely. I fully intended to provide some summary statistics. I'll let it run its course for a while.

Though to be honest I think that glancing at the histogram gives a pretty good picture in of itself. Summary statistics won't provided too much more information.

The method of gathering the data isn't ideal, but I think it is effective for purpose. The fact that currently 70 price votes have been made and 63 year votes have been made shows that some people don't know how to fill out a poll! (Or the pollster didn't explain things adequately.) I could have split the polls to avoid such glitches but I think it is easier all in one place.

Not that I had a completely clear picture in my mind, but overall the average purchase price is a little less than I might have imagined. The average age of the bikes is probably around what I expected.

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:14 pm

nickobec wrote:Most frequently used by how often or mileage?

I own a few bikes, use varies, a couple of been out of service for repairs/groupset swaps etc.

I think it is safe to leave that open to interpretation. Trying to nail that one down precisely would just make the question too complex? Frequency of trips, time of trips, distance of trips. And what temporal time frame? Last month, last year, etc.... Again I don't think it is too complicate. Pick one or two of the bikes you own that your consider you use most frequently.

(EG over the couple of months I've used a third bike more often. But I didn't include that bike because in the last five years it has been barely used.)

But to answer the question specifically to the examples you gave. I'd be picking the Repco Superlight and the Canyon Ultimate AL9 SLX. The Repco is clearly used frequently, almost twice as much as your third bike. Sure it isn't doing the high mileage but it is out there getting used for almost a third of the year.

bychosis wrote:I guess in reality I have one high budget bike - my mountain bike. Originally purchased ‘for life’ then replaced when broken after close to 10 years (twice. I like to wear things out). Other bikes just stop me wearing out an expensive bike outside it’s intended use and get turned over because upgraditis. Can justify buying and selling cheap stuff a lot easier than expensive stuff.

Not too different from me. My Giant ATX 840 was purchased as my only bike to replace the previous one. Big budget for my financial means at the time. I followed that up almost a decade later with another new bike for faster speed. Then I really got into buying cheap 2nd hand bikes and doing them up. Keeping the ones I wanted and moving the other ones one. It was fun while I enjoyed but I find bike maintenance less therapeutic and more of a chore so I don't do nearly as much anymore.

Oh and I did by a mountain bike for ~$450 new, bargain. It base level RockShox and disc brakes so good enough for single black downhill runs. Given I only go mountain biking half a dozen times a year I can't justify spending more.

gdb

Postby gdb » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:01 pm

bike 1 - colnago master. it's a very late 80's / early 90's which i purchased 10 years ago. paid 800 for the frame and i guess ~1600 on groupset/wheels etc? groupset was updated to an 11 speed campag in early 2016
bike 2 - scott sub10. its a 2013 model with alfine 8 speed, belt drive etc. paid 1300 for it in late 2014 and i guess spent another few hundred on ortleib panniers, rack, fenders etc

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:17 pm

As an on going commentary about the stats:

A clear outlier group is the high end expensive bikes. While as a whole the 'even' distribution about the mean with it trailing off rapidly as it reaches $5000. There is a clear jump in the top end bikes worth more than $6500. If the trail off before $6500 wasn't obvious you would put this don't to an inadequate basket choice. However the fact that is does trail off and the spike again probably does indicate a different segment of people.

I'm guessing competitive racing types (or possibly just people with ample financial means).

It would be informative to know. So if you are one of the nine people who have a bike worth over $6500 and haven't previously commented it might be informative on why you have such an expensive bike. If you are happy sharing....

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:41 pm

craigg wrote:The frame has seen better days but is still serviceable, it was one of the early hybrid aluminium / carbon frames when carbon was still exotic and hideously expensive.

No it wasn't. Carbon was well-established, quite mainstream and similarly-priced to what it is now by then, and about 20 years too late to be an "early" frame. The Alliance was designed as a mid-level frame, better than full aluminium, but cheaper than full carbon. Not a bad compromise as far as carbon/aluminium blends go, but a compromise nonetheless.

I have four bikes, dating from 2005 to 2012 models, and from $1000 to $6000 list price when new.

Bike 1: 2005 Giant TCR Composite 2, RRP $3499, I paid around $2.7k. Pretty much the equivalent to a modern TCR Advanced 1 in terms of frame & component spec. Upgraded to Gravity-Zero carbon wheels worth considerably more than I paid for them.... (perks of the job). "Play bike", doesn't get much use since I discovered dirt....

Bike 2: 2006 Giant OCR 3, RRP around $1k, paid nothing 'cos it was the result of an insurance payout after my old bike got written off by an errant driver. It's the commuter bike, still mostly stock aside from converting the crank from triple to double, with FD to suit, and hand-me-down wheels from the TCR because the original rims wore out. Still have the original hubs, so will build them into new rims when required.

Bike 3: 2011 Giant Anthem Advanced SL 1 full carbon MTB. Purchased 2nd-hand for $1200, was pushing $6k new. Added carbon wheels with XTR hubs, which cost another $1k to build.

Bike 4: "Bitsa" - began as a 2008 Giant Anthem 2, $2k off the shelf. Frame replaced with a 2012 under warranty. Progressively upgraded before and after the frame swap, so really a "grand-dad's axe" kind of bike!
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:38 pm

A little hard to choose.

I went with my Aldi Bike and my aero roadster, but I'll list them all based on number of uses.

1. Aldi road bike 2016. Whilst the purchase price was just under $400, it was always intended to be my main commuter so the price of mudguards, rack, dynohub and lights pushed it up close to double that as initial outlay. I've since gone through lots of running gear, tyres, chains etc.

2. Madison. It started out as a 1982 aero road bike (low end). I bought it for $200 and it was my main commuter for a few months until the Aldi bike came along. It now sports flat bars and a sprung saddle and is set up to tow my track bike, so that I don't need the car on Saturday mornings in summer.

3. Pegasus Brumby tandem. A mid 2000's MTB style tandem bought for $400. It has already cost more than than since I always intended to convert it into a road tandem (for reasons of fit as much as anything else), so wheels tyres, a fork and disc brakes have added to that.

4. Blucher track bike. Built up from a new frame in 1992. Probably about $1000 all up, but I was getting my parts cheaper. I managed to get some use out of it last summer when the young bloke took up track racing. I hope to continue this season.

5. Daccordi road bike. Built up from a new (Columbus Max) frame in 1990. Dura-ace (7400 STI), Wolber profil 18 rims, Flite saddle, Ritchie (Nitto) seatpost. Difficult to put a price on at the time since it took a year to collect the parts, but it was thousands. 8spd STI was cutting edge for the time. It was upgraded to 7800 and carbon wheels when I came back from China in 2008. Sadly my road racing has dropped off with other commitments and it has only been out a handful of times in the last couple of years.

6. Unknown Ti road frame. $4000 (mostly groupset and wheels), I happened to be working in Taiwan at the time of the 2006 Taipei Bike Show. I made a friend and was able to cook up a deal to buy a cutting edge (for the time) 10spd 7800 groupset, and carbon wheels through a shop (not allowed to buy direct). I asked the shop owner about a frame to put them on and he came up with this unbranded Ti frame and I chose a carbon fork to go with it. I was then able to build the bike up in his shop with his tools and was able to go on a couple of 'shop rides' before I left. When we came back from China the parts were swapped over to my good bike, and it became my #2 road bike - it even sported friction shifters for a few years since it was variously used with 8,9 and 10spd wheels. Until recently it was the bike I chose for the weekend rides when I wasn't racing. However it doesn't do anything that the Daccordi doesn't do, so it has now been stripped and will be sold off soon.

Cheers,

Cameron

Bendo

Postby Bendo » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:17 pm

I didn't put my second bike. I hit 'vote' before I read the poll properly...

bike 1) My expensive bike, a Toei 650b randonneur frame and forks built in 2015. The frameset cost $2000. The rest of the bike was migrated from an older 650b rando so costs had been somewhat amortised over time. The bike is the product of at least 5 years of collecting various parts new, old and NOS. I think I put it in around the $3500 mark, but it would have cost more to assemble in a shorter timeframe.

bike 2) My second commuter, a Viscount Aerospace Pro, made around 1975. Extensively refurbished and converted into what I call a High Performance Gentleman's Town Bike (swept bars with thumb-shifter, 5 speed) with period correct parts, again, collected over time. Original bike cost $150. Mostly 70s Suntour and Viscount/Lambert parts, with the exception of Dura Ace centre-pulls from the late 70s. $1000 all up?

bike 3) My Viscount Aerospace Sport (again about 1975) restored and built up into a 70s lightweight racer using complete first generation Dura Ace groupset. Original death fork as well. I shopped carefully and so the whole thing probably came to under $3000 over about 6 or 7 years.

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:50 am

Bendo wrote:I didn't put my second bike. I hit 'vote' before I read the poll properly...

You are welcome to change you vote! The poll allows it. :mrgreen:

Patt0

Postby Patt0 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:23 am

All 4 of my bikes fall into the same categories. >$6500, <2 years. Except my commute bike, that was a $30 ebay spec.

HenryCharlie

Postby HenryCharlie » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:59 pm

human909 wrote:Bought a Giant ATX 840 brand new for $1200 in 1999. A mountain bike but with thin slicks it makes a decent workhorse commuter. Almost 20 years of ownership is pretty good.

I bought an ATX 840 in 1999 too....at least I think it was an 840. It had a mechanical front disc brake, which I swapped out for XT V brakes. Was a good bike, but I bought a size too small and ended up buying a Kona Caldera in 2004, which I still have today.
I overtook some people going uphill once.