Can this power be realistic?

Snowie1

Re: Can this power be realistic?

Postby Snowie1 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:37 pm

One thing that hasn't been mentioned that I experienced when using rollers (and is just as applicable to a trainer that I have now). When you use a trainer/rollers you don't get to coast down hills and/or stop at lights etc.

Some people say that an hour on a trainer might feel like one and half on the road.

Not sure that helps, but you might find that the continuous effort is just harder than normal riding IRL.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:41 pm

You can coast down the hills on the trainer. It just feels a bit silly just sitting there though.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:56 am

hamishm wrote:You can coast down the hills on the trainer. It just feels a bit silly just sitting there though.
I have heard of people coasting down Alpe de Zwift, and getting off the bike and going and making a sandwich or getting a drink.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:33 am

hamishm wrote:You can coast down the hills on the trainer. It just feels a bit silly just sitting there though.
The fun of the real Alpe D'Huez is the descent and taking those corners - it's just awesome. On Zwift the descents are just silly. You either do nothing at all, or pedal like mad.
Snowie1 wrote:One thing that hasn't been mentioned that I experienced when using rollers (and is just as applicable to a trainer that I have now). When you use a trainer/rollers you don't get to coast down hills and/or stop at lights etc.
You can get coasting on trainers. You are thinking of ERG workouts instead of workouts with simulated gradients.