How do you connect to the internet?

CKinnard

How do you connect to the internet?

Postby CKinnard » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:05 pm

My phone and internet plans are up for renewal.
I am finding more and more I don't need limitless data at home. Rather my priority is for mobile data.
Currently I have 8GB of data on my phone plan, and 200GB via an Optus home broadband wireless modem, that is kind of portable.
My needs are 100-200GB of shared data between my phone and a sim for a mobile device (laptop, i-pad).
A last question I have is if I use my phone as a hotspot when plugged into a charger, does that significantly reduce battery life?

Anyway, I'm interested in how everyone stays connected, whether from day to day, or on an extended cycling trip.
I understand people are turning more to mobile data plans, and away from adsl or nbn at home.

g-boaf

Re: How do you connect to the internet?

Postby g-boaf » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:13 pm

On an extended cycling trip, I was using my phone for most stuff and a WhatsApp group for communication with everyone else (where the support car would be, briefing information, dinner plans, etc) and WIFI at the 'hotels' as much as possible.

Phone was on roaming so I was using various telecommunications providers, Etisalat, Bouygues Telecom, etc which then connected through to my local Australian account. It was a bit exxy, so just limited what I used the phone for. Everything else was on WIFI as much as possible. You could also get a local prepaid sim card at your destination, that can be cheaper. Occasionally the local phone reception was a bit dodgy and sometimes the WIFI speed was terrible.

If the phone is plugged into a charger and you are using it as a hotspot, that should be okay.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:36 pm

for me, I get 3GB on the phone and use about... sweet f all of it, maybe a few 100 MB/month
at home we have NBN 100GB peak and 100GB off peak(2-8am) and we will usually use pretty close to 100GB of peak but sometimes get through 150GB and pay for it. Oh but we get unlimited netflix, so thats another 100GB or so /month.

another point, I hope they stat upgrading stuff to gigabit connections, this 100 nbn just doesnt cut it.
Look 675 Pro Team, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Scott Spark 710, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:41 pm

I had a look at my existing plan the other day...

It was being marketed as the perfect plan from "pre-teens" :shock: :oops: .

So I guess I don't use much phone data... About 1Gig a month, more if I'm travelling and working on the go. But still nothing too much. I have NBN at home and internet at work... When I'm not at home or at work then I'm probably doing something more interesting than staring at my mobile.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:31 am

I'm no tech head but I had been advised to limit the use of my phone whilst charging as it places higher loads upon the battery and will tend to make it work hotter. This could also mean hotter temps for the phone's processor.
To get the maximum charge from your battery, it's always best to turn the phone off whilst charging.
It's probably more to do with the power in vs power out of the battery whilst using the internet.
If you've got the phone connected with a power supply whilst using the GPS function only, then that shouldn't affect it much.

I use a Samsung S7 which is probably about a year old now and the battery in this thing is so much better than the one i had in my S4 but the one in the S7 is irreplaceable unlike the S4 which means i can't buy a replacement battery for it so I really need to look after it better than what i did with the S4 which lasted me 5 years of constant use.

Using your mobile as the hotspot, i think you'd be best using the battery only for this to save the risk of battery overheating.

As I said, not a tech head, it's just what i've been advised by technicians.

As for data, it's going to be interesting what is going to happen now with the merger of Vodafone and TPG in the competition stakes. Mobile phone plans are still a bit exxy in Australia so maybe a more powerful merger like these two could change this overtime. I'm with Telstra and share my phone data between my wife's phone and mine but i use more than her as she is generally at home using wifi from the home network but between us we have 11GB per Month to play with which is more than enough. Actually takes a while to use a gig of mobile data unless you're always playing online games or downloading tv or movie data both of which i don't do. At home I have Telstra home and internet bundle which gives me unlimited internet (it began at 100gig, then 200 gig then they gave us unlimited for no extra cost) We watch a lot of Youtube stuff so unlimited is awesome. We pay approx. $200 pm for all this.....not sure if exxy or not but we've gotten great service from Telstra so far despite many people slamming them.

Anyway....just my 5cents worth

Cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

thamete

Postby thamete » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:09 am

I spend the majority of the year touring on the road, essentially I am a cycling grey nomad, so I ended up deciding to dump wired broadband altogether.

I have a 100 Gb 4G post paid data plan with Optus at $70 per month. This gives me internet coverage for most of the small towns that I camp at although when wild camping I am often out of touch.

It has been the best option for me and is often faster than the wired NBN broadband at my mother's residence where I stay when not on the road.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:54 am

thx for input all.

brumby, I also use a S7 and had a S4 before. The S4 battery was flat out lasting a day after 18mths. Same for a new battery I bought for it. I wonder if Optus' OS somehow intentionally drains batteries at a faster rate some time after contracts expire. The S7 has been much more robust battery wise.

thamete, I have been working in regional Vic and NSW for the last few months...lots of driving.
Riding the Murray River is becoming a thing these days. Have you ever done sections?

I get my news via the internet these days, and watch/listen to a lot of utube in the country and at home in Brisbane.
The phone goes on the dash, and I play utube. (naturally I am listening rather than watching when driving).

When on the bike, I haven't been able to enjoy podcasts or utube. I don't like wearing earphones, and get too distracted focusing on where I am going.

I got the idea to run the Optus home wireless broadband modem in the car. It is meant to be tied to a fixed home address, but I have run it successfully on main highways between Brisbane Mildura and Adelaide. Slightly more blackspots than with the phone connection though. At $60 for 200GB it is the best value mobile data solution I have found.

Nevertheless, Optus are offering a 12mth contract for phone sim at $52/mth with 80GB data, and I'll probably go with that.
They also have a mobile data sim - mth 2 mth at $80 for 200GB.

Telstra's offerings are probably better for regional Australia still, but they are more exy.
On several remote work sites, I had to do a lot of data entry onto cloud based applications. The lag on Optus network made data entry impossible. so had to enter data onto a local word file, then copy paste to the cloud when back in the evenings.

Either way, I prefer my data mobile these days.
When at work, I rarely have time to use the internet, let alone for work related purposes.
Last edited by CKinnard on Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:03 am

brumby33 wrote:I'm no tech head but I had been advised to limit the use of my phone whilst charging as it places higher loads upon the battery and will tend to make it work hotter. This could also mean hotter temps for the phone's processor.
To get the maximum charge from your battery, it's always best to turn the phone off whilst charging.

This is mostly inaccurate. (I say mostly because any effect is inconsequential.) Battery wear is a complex topic but to keep it simple the biggest wear on Lithium-ion batteries is:

Fast charging
Fast discharging (more likely if your battery is small and/or you use high drain apps)
Leaving the battery flat for extended periods. (Probably not particularly relevant to your phone that you use everyday but can be quite relevant if you are storing items)

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:08 am

human909 wrote:
brumby33 wrote:I'm no tech head but I had been advised to limit the use of my phone whilst charging as it places higher loads upon the battery and will tend to make it work hotter. This could also mean hotter temps for the phone's processor.

This is mostly inaccurate. (I say mostly because any effect is inconsequential.) Battery wear is a complex topic but to keep it simple the biggest wear on Lithium-ion batteries is:

Fast charging
Fast discharging (more likely if your battery is small and/or you use high drain apps)
Leaving the battery flat for extended periods. (Probably not particularly relevant to your phone that you use everyday but can be quite relevant if you are storing items)

Well, I am going to go with a 12 mth plan relying on hotspotting via my phone whenever using my laptop at home or out. It will be with a 2yr old Samsung S7 that still gives me more than a day on one charge. I will be curious to see what happens to battery life. I also understand shops can replace the battery.
I'd get a new Galaxy Note 8, but think I'll wait 12 mths for Samsung's new foldable display phone.

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:41 pm

CKinnard wrote:Well, I am going to go with a 12 mth plan relying on hotspotting via my phone whenever using my laptop at home or out. It will be with a 2yr old Samsung S7 that still gives me more than a day on one charge. I will be curious to see what happens to battery life.

Battery life will decrease significantly with wifi hotspotting. Wifi is a relatively high consumer of battery. A continuous data stream connection will also add to the drain.

When activated screen and wifi are probably the highest consumers of battery, unless you play games or something.... On Androids you should be able to see a break down of what is using your power. (Me: 30% Standby, 20% Google Play Services (thats high) 15% Idle Phone, 9% OS, 8% Screen...... That is over the last 4 days when it was last fully charged.)

I get 2-3 days from my phone. No wifi, no gps. Probably 30-60minutes a day on voice calls. Add in a little GPS navigation and it drops to 2 days. (Motorola X Force)

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:58 pm

I just switched my Optus Home Broadband plan last night, and effictively dumped the Landline (which we get for free anyway). I was on a plan giving me Unlimited Data and Phone Calls (local and internatonal) for $92 a month, with a max download of 30mpb/s.

Last night I switched to a month-to-month plan costing me $75 a month, including a free landline (but I have to pay for all my calls). On top of that, they pushed me to 100mbp/s for free.

I have two young kids whose thirst for chewing up data knows know bound. I just put in a new Home Network, and it has some DPI featurs so I can see what traffic is being generated, and whose device it came from. In the 8 days it has been online, we have sucked 60Gb of data from the internet, so on target for 225Gb for a month.

I work from home a fair bit at the moment, so I am not overly concerned with the amount of data. I just need to have no lag. I am happy to say that it's pretty good. The extra bandwidth will mean everyone in the house can stream at the same time and it won't affect anything.

I had a look at the Optus Wireless offerings, and even though they are 4G, the speed seems to be capped at 12mbp/s down an 1mbps up. My iPhone on Telstra 4G performs similar to my home cable (24Mbps down, 3.7Mbps up), but I get almost no Optus signal at home.

The mobile broadband plan Optus has for $80 a month for 200Gb of data is not bad. It's a Data Only SIM though, so the main question is what devices you need to connect to the net with. You'd probably want to just get a phone & data plan and just use a Hotspot from your phone if you needed to connect anything else.

For me at home, I have a ridiculous amount of devices that need network access, and my crappy Optus supplied WiFi modem wasn't really up to the task, so a mobile Hotspot would have no chance.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '15 Cervelo S5

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:19 pm

Telstra NBN fixed wireless 40mbps, 1Tb/month for $79.

Only use mobile phone for calls, stopped using a fixed line 7+ years ago.

When I travel I use my phone's data and personal wifi hotspot. That's only got 10Gb/month available. For my occasional travel needs it's sufficient to do my work. I might struggle if I needed it to cover work stuff for more than about a week or so.

Phone is part of my plan so it gets replaced every two years. Old ones I sell on.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:57 pm

human909 wrote:
CKinnard wrote:Well, I am going to go with a 12 mth plan relying on hotspotting via my phone whenever using my laptop at home or out. It will be with a 2yr old Samsung S7 that still gives me more than a day on one charge. I will be curious to see what happens to battery life.

Battery life will decrease significantly with wifi hotspotting. Wifi is a relatively high consumer of battery. A continuous data stream connection will also add to the drain.

When activated screen and wifi are probably the highest consumers of battery, unless you play games or something.... On Androids you should be able to see a break down of what is using your power. (Me: 30% Standby, 20% Google Play Services (thats high) 15% Idle Phone, 9% OS, 8% Screen...... That is over the last 4 days when it was last fully charged.)

I get 2-3 days from my phone. No wifi, no gps. Probably 30-60minutes a day on voice calls. Add in a little GPS navigation and it drops to 2 days. (Motorola X Force)

I should have said I'll mostly be using hotspotting when the phone is on a charger.
Though there's times with remote work where I have to use cloud based apps. But this is reasonably low data usage.
I've noted how quick the battery drains when hotspotting.

Human, I see your phone has 2760mAh....better than the average.
Next phone I buy, I'll be favoring one that isn't loaded with a bloated OS.
I'd pay a premium to get a full weekend out of a phone say 55-60 hours, with moderate use.
I'd take a drop in screen size and brightness, and many software features to get this.