Strength and endurance in the same workout.

Pipsyboy

Strength and endurance in the same workout.

Postby Pipsyboy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:49 pm

Hi Guys.

Would I be right in thinking that if I do an hour and 3/4 climb which is only 12 some kms long (Alpe Du Zwift) will it help me with my endurance as well as obviously helping my climbing? So in essence killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

Am i right in thinking that endurance isn't built by riding 50k it's built by riding for an hour and 3/4.

Cheers

g-boaf

Re: Strength and endurance in the same workout.

Postby g-boaf » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:39 pm

Different things.

I'm at work so can't reply fully at the moment.

Edit: The different things. One is getting used to doing a long ride, eg 150-200km, knowing when to eat and how much to eat.

The strength bit is getting your muscles stronger. Some riders hit the gym and lift weights to help with that, usually at the time when they are not doing much riding.

Climbing ability is improved by doing lots of climbs. The more you do of them, the better. And losing weight. Look at Carlo Fino or Liam Holohan, etc. Those guys aren't just powerhouses, they are lean. They ride a lot - in the mountains.

You can do a lot of virtual repeats of Alpe D'Huez or similar, but in some software like PerfPro Studio, you could just import a real course from a GPS (such as Col du Galibier) and do that relentlessly, with the trainer simulating the gradients. It'll help a bit.

Pipsyboy

Re: Strength and endurance in the same workout.

Postby Pipsyboy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:54 am

Cheers for the reply mate.

The title might have been a bit misleading. I think I was meaning climbing ability too as I think the two are somewhat intertwined.

As regards a fuelling strategy, wouldn't it be the same for a 12k ride and a 50k ride if they were the same length of time?

I'm trying to ride the Alpe once a week and being the better part of 100kg it is good training. Both for climbing ability and endurance. :D