Any suggestions for a rain jacket?

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Any suggestions for a rain jacket?

Postby Cluey » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:20 pm

Hi all,

Wondered on any suggestions for a rain jacket. Given that South Australia seems to be going under water at the moment it got me thinkin' about what to ride in when its wet.

Probably wouldn't ride in torrential downpours, more light showers etc. if caught out on my commute.

I went to have a look at Gore-Tex jackets at the hiking shops etc (I use these on dirt bikes) but they are pretty expensive and they also have a lot of high necks with fleece lining etc. The other thing is that they don't have the drop tail which might help to keep muck off jersey and knicks....

I saw a Netti jacket (D3) on an online cycle shop that has the breathable fabric, bright colour, zip off sleeves etc for about $200 - is that about what to use? I did go to an Adelaide store but the range was really small.... maybe should wait till winter...

Thanks... :D Cluey
Cluey

by BNA » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:01 am

BNA

Postby tinstaafl » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:01 am

I wear T shirts and a flanney under a zip up spray jacket and peel off as I warm up.
Just a shirt and the jacket in warm rain and add more layers as the mercury falls.
The spray jacket doubles as a warm jacket in the cold.

Robert
tinstaafl

Postby LuckyPierre » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:30 am

I don't start a ride in the rain, but then, we've just about forgotten what rain is anyway.
I have a 'stashaway' spray jacket (mine's a 'Pro' brand one) that I carry in my underseat bag if it looks threatening. So far, it's worked well - every time I've carried it, it hasn't rained! :?
I'm starting to think about touring / longer rides later in the year and will be checking whether to get cycle specific stuff or use my hiking stuff then.
LuckyPierre

Postby commi » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:43 am

You can get a spray jacket that fits in a saddle bag?
commi

Postby europa » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:15 pm

I think it depends on how much you sweat and how much you ride. I'm a shocker for sweating so anything that's going to protect me from the rain is going to result in sodden cycling gear anyway. My take is that if I'm riding cycling clothes, I'd might as well ignore the rain.

HOWEVER (these always one of these isn't there), you need to consider temperature. Despite the recent weather being very wet and the rain very cold, I was able to keep warm just through riding. Come winter though, when ambient temperatures are much lower, I think I'd be losing heat I don't know about. That however, is a case of dressing for the cold and deciding whether you want to trap heat inside the raincoat along with the sweat or not.

Summer rains, don't worry.
Winter rains, different issue.

And yes, I know about goretex and all that other stuff - I sweat too much even for the likes of them and handle cold pretty well anyway.

Like Peter, I'm a 'get caught in the rain' rather than a 'take a ride in the rain' sort, so I guess I can get away with living dangerously. But in Adelaide, many years of riding pushbikes and motorbikes have taught me that you don't need to worry too much about rain using that tactic. However, I also know that if rain gear is necessary, buy the best you can afford - it'll pay off in comfort.

Richard
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby LuckyPierre » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:30 pm

Yep!
It's a bit of a tight fit, but I can get rain jacket, spare tube, tyre levers, multi-tool, house key and my mobile all in my under seat bag. I can't fit my usual messy key ring in though!
The jacket is a Pro (a Shimano brand) rain shell - see http://www.pro-bikegear.nl/publish/content/pro_site/sbx/Pro_Landing/EN/Products.html. It's very much a rain shell - it acts like a big plastic bag, so I sweat up pretty badly inside it. Usually, I just ride on and only use the jacket to keep the wind off when I'm finished.
The bag is a Topeak Aero Wedge - see http://www.deanwoods.com.au/store/prod967.htm (the medium one). It carries everything but the jacket in its normal mode and I just expand it to fit the jacket in too. It's actually on my bike in my avatar, it's a great size for day to day riding.
LuckyPierre

Return to General discussion