Road records

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Re: Road records

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:51 am

find_bruce wrote:Its like the old joke, turn right where the pub burnt down, stop where the post office used to be

Or when you ask for directions and the response is "well, I wouldn't be starting from here".

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:59 am

find_bruce wrote:Its like the old joke, turn right where the pub burnt down, stop where the post office used to be

Funnily, the Gladstone post office was used as a pub for a year or so, after the Grand Hotel was badly burned. The Grand has now been repaired and the old PO is a cafe and shop.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:32 am

singlespeedscott wrote:I think most of the original post offices would still be standing as many are heritage listed. I believe the post office to post office thing should still stand.

I agree, but I guess was pondering the future. Maybe you will need to start and stop at the local drone helipad and distribution warehouse. :lol:
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:09 pm

ldrcycles wrote:I'll need to get in touch with Christoph Strasser to see if I can get my hands on the GPS track of his Perth-Sydney ride last year.

I can ask him if you need.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:13 am

AUbicycles wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:I'll need to get in touch with Christoph Strasser to see if I can get my hands on the GPS track of his Perth-Sydney ride last year.

I can ask him if you need.

Yes please! I came across the interview you did with him while I was searching last night. He is a true freak in the same vein as Oppy, it's hard to comprehend the level of physical and mental fitness.

Working out intermediate records between Perth and the east coast is going to be interesting, so far it appears Damian Richmond has the Perth-Melbourne record from 2008, and may have Gawler-Melbourne, but depending on exactly where and when Dave Alley's round australia ride went, he may have Perth-Melbourne, and will almost certainly have Melbourne-Brisbane and Adelaide-Brisbane.

Today's lunchtime task is to check if the Townsville library can find times for Charters Towers-Townsville and Ingham-Townsville, both broken around 1975 (or so says a bloke who tried to break the Charters Towers record around 1990).
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:32 pm

Just entered another few NSW records (I love the look of Tweed Heads to Murwillumbah and back, might need to arrange a road trip next year) and a quick count has the website at 150 records :shock: . I've only got 11 listed for Victoria so far, and there are definitely plenty more to come for NSW as well, so once I've got more of the Time and Distance records sorted it will probably reach over 200.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:59 am

Broke the Rocky-Yeppoon-Rocky record by less than a minute on Sunday :D Average speed was only 33.3kmh, so that's another one that will soon be beaten, but I'm looking forward to seeing other people get on the bandwagon. There's an article in the Rocky paper about it today, hopefully it will also have some details about the RRAA.

Vince Smith (an old Townsville rider) has found a few more details on the Charters Towers-Townsville record, so I'll get in touch with the Townsville library as it will make their search of newspaper microfilms a bit easier. There's a distinct lack of records for the Bundaberg area (with the exception of a very old record from there to Maryborough), which is a terrible shame as the post office there is particularly beautiful, so I'm looking at establishing a new record from Childers, or perhaps Bundy-Childers and back. Maryborough-Bundaberg would be a good record, but the surface on the highway north of Howard is especially dreadful and would make for an unpleasant ride.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:08 am

Christoph Strasser sent links to his GPS data yesterday (big thank you to Chris for arranging it!) and I spent a good few hours giving myself a headache with it :) The speed on the first day in particular is just unreal, 754km in 24 hours :shock:

Unfortunately, because his route was so direct there are a lot of intermediate records he missed, such as Port Augusta-Port Pirie, Perth-Gawler, Perth-Adelaide etc. He did go over 13 hours better than Oppy's 1937 Perth-Coolgardie time though, and all up I've got him as picking up 10 records along the way. 45h42m to cross the Nullarbor (Norseman-Ceduna) is just incredible. I'm looking forward to comparing Dave Alley's times.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:44 pm

Got the details from Dave Alley this morning, he's got the Perth-Brisbane (16d21h7m), Adelaide-Brisbane (7d13h5m), and Melbourne-Brisbane (5d4h43m) records. He was also only 2d9h behind Damian Richmond's Perth-Melbourne record, even though Damian went straight from Perth to the Nullarbor, and from Gawler to Melbourne, where Dave stuck to the coast which meant another 450km between Perth and Norseman, with a lot more climbing. I'll go over the northern sections of his ride this evening and see what turns up there.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:07 pm

Finished going over Dave's numbers, he also has Townsville-Darwin (6d13h43m), Darwin-Kununurra (2d7h32m) and Darwin-Perth (11d15h12m). Really underlines what an incredible ride that was.

In addition to some more records that turned up around Rockhampton, and a few in NSW, I've added the various records for the Brisbane Valley and South Burnett rail trails (stretches the definition of "road" a touch, but no one else is listing them) and the tally is now up to 201 :shock: . I haven't even bothered to get into the Time and Distance records yet.