Super Magnesium - the next bike frame material?

Calvin27

Re: Super Magnesium - the next bike frame material?

Postby Calvin27 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:51 pm

Velt wrote: They have some data on their website https://alliteinc.com/super-magnesium/
Cheers for that! No fatigue strength as I suspected. Might not be bad,but i guess when you are doing an expensive metal the advantages have to really be significantly better.
human909 wrote: ALLITE® SUPER MAGNESIUM as the name gives away is a proprietry alloy that most likely has a large component of the more expensive magnesium in it. Also claimed is "all have content of rare earth elements". .
I rekon it's just a variation of scandium. Kona have been doing scandium since 2001 lol.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:44 am

Calvin27 wrote: I rekon it's just a variation of scandium. Kona have been doing scandium since 2001 lol.
Doubtful. Although Scandium is an element in its own right, its use in the bike world has typically been as an alloying material in..... aluminium. Mucketing people pushing the limits of defining what the stuff actually is.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:39 pm

Duck! wrote:Mucketing people pushing the limits of defining what the stuff actually is.
Pretty much everything in this post is based off marketing people....

Magnesium alloys have been around for a long time and Allite Super Magnesium doesn't on the face of thing seem to be doing anything differently apart from having a good marketing spiel targeted towards cyclists. Cycle journalists have been lapping it up as though it is a new thing where there is zero evidence presented that this is a new alloy. Not surprisingly it isn't really being talked about outside of cycling...

https://alliteinc.com/magnesium/
From what I can tell they are just using regular old magnesium alloys with a fancy name.
AE81, ZE62, WE54 are all common magnesium alloys sold by plenty of other manufacturers.

Also note the steel in their comparison table pretty damn weak and probably quite hard to come by. Cast iron!? I'll have to go down to the antiques store for that one.