Does a Roadie Fit in a Mitsubishi ASX?

Jim68

Does a Roadie Fit in a Mitsubishi ASX?

Postby Jim68 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:25 pm

Could anyone please advise/confirm if a road bike will fit in the rear of a Mitsubishi ASX (rear car seats down, both wheels remaining on the bike, rear wheel in first and front wheel ‘turned up’)Thank you.

djw47

Re: Does a Roadie Fit in a Mitsubishi ASX?

Postby djw47 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:59 pm

Jim68 wrote:Could anyone please advise/confirm if a road bike will fit in the rear of a Mitsubishi ASX (rear car seats down, both wheels remaining on the bike, rear wheel in first and front wheel ‘turned up’)Thank you.
Almost certainly and if not, why not just take off the front wheel? With both rear seats down, you can fit a bike into most cars.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:01 pm

I have found that a road bike without the front wheel fits in fairly small cars... sometimes if the boot is full, it can even slide behind the front seats (obviously no rear passengers).

The front wheel is easy to remove / assemble - just the brake cable (there is usually a lever that opens up the brakes) and the skewer.
Cycling is in my BNA

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:21 am

Slightly smaller bike but also slightly smaller car... I used to be able to fit my old hybrid bike, a Kojima which looks very much like this https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA== ... 3/$_20.JPG into the back of a 2004 model Kia Rio https://www.productreview.com.au/p/kia- ... -2005.html . I had to move the front seats slightly forward, then the handlebars were turned 90 degrees so that the "back half" of the front wheel went between the front seats and the folded-down-back-seats (with the front of the bike pointing upwards); and then the car was long enough to lay the rest of the bike flat, with the back wheel just inside the back hatch. But it was an old bike which I didn't mind treating roughly; I haven't tried putting my new bike in the Rio yet.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:20 am

AUbicycles wrote:I have found that a road bike without the front wheel fits in fairly small cars... sometimes if the boot is full, it can even slide behind the front seats (obviously no rear passengers).

The front wheel is easy to remove / assemble - just the brake cable (there is usually a lever that opens up the brakes) and the skewer.
My Cervelo minus front wheel will fit like that (behind the front seats) in my wife's Mazda 2. It lives like that in my Patrol or Audi. No probs

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:51 am

+1

have fit a full size roadie with the front wheel off in my suzuki swift (4dr) with the rear seats down.

mate has his cervelo in his VW golf (4dr) with seats down as well, front wheel off.

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:02 pm

mrs antigee doesn't really like taking off and refitting the front wheel on her road bike (similar for punctures she can but its easier to ring me) ...we regularly hire a car to supplement our 1 car household when schedules clash and public transport/cycling doesn't work I can guarantee a similar size/group Toyota Corolla can take a roadie with both wheels on...if asking because renting one then remember you may not get what you think you've hired though explaining you def need a hatchback usually resolves

Newcastle Dave

Postby Newcastle Dave » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:55 pm

Mine fits in the back of a Mazda 3 no problem (even had 2 stacked with a blanket between them)
Interestingly my wife's hybrid "learner" bike didn't, it was a few cm longer and with wide flat bars you couldn't turn the wheel 90 degrees

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:07 pm

My 56cm road bike will fit in the back of a Ford Laser hatchback (dunno year model, KC model I think), a Mazda 323 2003 hatch/wagon and a current model Ford Focus 4 door hatch, and also a Mazda 2. This is with both wheels still on the bike but the back seat(s) folded down.

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:07 pm

Buy a Honda HR-V (or even the Jazz) as it has MUCH more room than the other options. The boots are amazing. Check them out before you decide.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:56 pm

TheWall wrote:Buy a Honda HR-V (or even the Jazz) as it has MUCH more room than the other options. The boots are amazing. Check them out before you decide.
Or buy the outlander. The 7 seaters have adjustable rear seats. Plus you don't pay the Honda tax

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:37 am

Given that I've fitted both a roadie and MTB - on separate occasions, not at the same time! - in the back of a classic Mini, which is still smaller than just about everything else on the road now (but oddly bigger inside than many newer cars), I can't imagine an ASX posing too much trouble.

My regular rig though is a Subaru Outback (which is just a Liberty with a suspension lift kit), and I've easily fitted two MTBs, a spare set of wheels plus a weekend's worth of camping gear in the back, although the second bike did need the front wheel taken out, and still been able to see out the back window! :-)
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:20 am

Duck! wrote:….My regular rig though is a Subaru Outback (which is just a Liberty with a suspension lift kit), and I've easily fitted two MTBs, a spare set of wheels plus a weekend's worth of camping gear in the back, although the second bike did need the front wheel taken out, and still been able to see out the back window! :-)
I've also travelled with two bikes in a Liberty Wagon plus spare wheels and gear for a long weekend for two people. I generally use an old rug to separate the bikes and just lay them flat, with the rear seat down. Spare wheels in wheel bags, and gear boxes in the rear footwells.

I dislike the use of external carriers or roof mounted bikes. I've travelled with a mate who used a rear carrier but since that time he's always borrowed his partners wagon and stowed everything inside the vehicle. I had another mate who removed both wheels and packed his bike neatly in the boot of a Honda Civic sedan...or maybe it was an Accord. This all assumes you only have two people max on board of course.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:57 pm

A bit late to the scene as usual but I carry a 57cm road bike at a diagonal in the back of my 2008 Mitsubishi Colt with the front wheel out and the seats down. Front wheel fits neatly against the folded seats. So I would imagine an ASX would have no trouble. I can fit bikes with rear carriers no problem but can't cope with mudguards. Any bike with mudguards has to go on the roof.

Richard

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:38 am

Also a bit late but try this: take your bike to the dealership and ask for a "test fit". I did, and that's why I bought a Mitsubishi Lancer instead of a Mitsubishi ASX, which is actually quite compact inside. I now have a Hyundai Kona with a bike rack.
Don't be worried about asking because if a salesperson can sniff a potential sale they will bend over backwards to help. Tip: take a sheet or similar to put in the back of the vehicle before putting the bike in - it lets them know you care.
I also do not like taking-off the front wheel, far easier to just lift the bike in and out as a single unit.
Not my circus, not my monkeys