Rotating Tyres

hismaimaimai

Rotating Tyres

Postby hismaimaimai » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:29 pm

Does anyone rotate their tyres, front to rear in an attempt to even the tyre wear out.

Duck!
Expert

Re: Rotating Tyres

Postby Duck! » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:34 pm

You want your better tyre on the front, so basically run them as they are until the rear dies, chuck it, move the front tyre to the rear and put the new tyre on the front.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

cyclingnolycra

Postby cyclingnolycra » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:50 pm

Yep, and the reason for doing so is because the front tyre is the one that has most of the contact with the road when (hard) braking. An older, worn tyre is more likely to skid while braking than a newer tyre. Thus it is much safer to put the old front tyre to the back, and put the new tyre at the front.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:19 pm

Wait until the rear tyre wears out, replace the front and put the old front tyre on the rear. Seems to be the recommendation as front tyres need to be in better condition.

DS

Cannondale Quick Speed 2, Allegro T1

malnar

Postby malnar » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:16 am

The profile of my rear tyre looks decidedly leveled off (not rounded) but there's no sign of the layer below the rubber showing through. At what point do I bin it?

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:16 pm

hismaimaimai wrote:Does anyone rotate their tyres, front to rear in an attempt to even the tyre wear out.

I was also told by Giant that their stock road tyres on my Contend have different compounds, ie stickier for grip on the front, tougher for longer life on the rear. They said definitely do not swap tyres front to back or you could slide out when cornering.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

cogs19

Postby cogs19 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:43 pm

malnar wrote:The profile of my rear tyre looks decidedly leveled off (not rounded) but there's no sign of the layer below the rubber showing through. At what point do I bin it?

I tend to bin tyres when I start getting regular punctures (for me that's more than 2 in a month).

I use Gatorskins on my commute bike and I tend to get a couple of years (a few thousand kms a year) before I start getting the regular punctures. I might get a random puncture here and there along the way but that's usually bad luck as opposed to a worn out tyre.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:57 pm

Mububban wrote:
I was also told by Giant that their stock road tyres on my Contend have different compounds, ie stickier for grip on the front, tougher for longer life on the rear. They said definitely do not swap tyres front to back or you could slide out when cornering.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :x :|

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Really ? And they kept a straight face :?:

What a crock.

Anyway, rotating tyres. Used to do it, but can't be faffed any more.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:12 pm

While not common, there are some tyre sets that are front/rear specific. While maybe not catastrophically, you can compromise the bike's handling by fitting a less grippy tyre to the front. And you'll chew out a soft rear very quickly.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:39 pm

As an aside to this, how's the cost of new rubber? I replaced a front tyre last week: $72! That's about the same price as a decent steel-belted 18-inch radial for my wife's car. Sheesh!
Not my circus, not my monkeys

OnTrackZeD

Postby OnTrackZeD » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:43 am

gorilla monsoon wrote:As an aside to this, how's the cost of new rubber? I replaced a front tyre last week: $72! That's about the same price as a decent steel-belted 18-inch radial for my wife's car. Sheesh!

Its outrageous, the price of bike parts compared to car parts and the length of km they last as well.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:29 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:As an aside to this, how's the cost of new rubber? I replaced a front tyre last week: $72! That's about the same price as

....half a tank of fuel

You need to shop around. e.g. Moruya bikes has tyres from $19.
(Last tyres I bought for a car were run-flats and before that Yoko A-032s. Both a bit more than $72 :D )
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:23 pm

There's a bike shop two blocks away, why waste fuel shopping around? That's false economy. And you are the first person I know who has ever actually admitted to buying run-flats (aka 'rubberised concrete').
Not my circus, not my monkeys

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:50 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:As an aside to this, how's the cost of new rubber? I replaced a front tyre last week: $72! That's about the same price as a decent steel-belted 18-inch radial for my wife's car. Sheesh!

Not sure I would be happy with anyone I know or care about driving around on a $72 tyre (car)...
Mmm, SunTour

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:52 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:And you are the first person I know who has ever actually admitted to buying run-flats (aka 'rubberised concrete').

Yup, truly aweful. But the car didn't have a spare. If I was to do it again I'd use conventional tyres and throw a few cans of tyre sealant in the boot (sealant and CO2 in one package :D ), enjoy the better ride and have a week's holiday with the change.

p.s. Moruya do mail stuff around. They are a long way from anyone and a bloody long way from me. But they have all sorts of weird little items I can't find elsewhere (like loose ball bearings in different grades ) so I use them a bit.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ