Former pro, Jonathan Cantwell, dies at aged 36

simurs4

Former pro, Jonathan Cantwell, dies at aged 36

Postby simurs4 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:10 pm

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/11/jonatha ... ies-at-36/

I really had to sit back and soak this in once I spotted this on Cyclingtips (It is posted elsewhere obviously) as I almost thought I had read it wrong. I am absolutely gobsmacked and totally saddened that this has happened.
I never had the chance to see Jonathan race while he was still a pro but I had many lengthly discussions with him on group rides back in Melb and also at his Swift shop in St. Kilda, he was a top notch honest bloke.
It really puts things into perspective when you read about things like this, especially considering he was still posting comments on his FB page and Instagram 1 day ago, and now this happens.
I would hate to speculate but I know that his brother took his own life 1 year ago and that obviously weighed very heavily on Jonathan, so I don't know if that event is somehow connected to his own passing, this information may or may not be provided.
My thoughts go out to his wife, his 2 children and everyone else connected with him.
RIP

MichaelB

Re: Former pro, Jonathan Cantwell, dies at aged 36

Postby MichaelB » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:31 pm

Sad indeed. Whilst nothing is written directly, the references to Lifeline seem to imply suicide

simurs4

Postby simurs4 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:35 pm

Yeah thats what I was hinting at but didn't really want to directly state it. Mental illness in any form is never an easy topic of discussion.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:16 am

It is always tragic, especially with two kids.

The tragic irony is that we need to talk about mental health, but there is a risk that reporting that a person died by suicide might push others over the edge, hence the common references to remind people that help is out there.

There is current debate about the way the media reports on suicide.

Either way though its tough on those left behind & my thoughts are with Jonathon's family & friends
Anything you can do, I can do slower

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:45 am

find_bruce wrote:It is always tragic, especially with two kids.

The tragic irony is that we need to talk about mental health, but there is a risk that reporting that a person died by suicide might push others over the edge, hence the common references to remind people that help is out there.

There is current debate about the way the media reports on suicide.

Either way though its tough on those left behind & my thoughts are with Jonathon's family & friends
However, hiding it is also perpetuating the stigma that suicide is something that should never be spoken about. Even people who seem to be alright - young people who look to be succeeding (https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-17/ ... ia/8351416) can be in trouble too.

The article on Jonathan Cantwell does suggest suicide. It's an awful tragedy.

We've all got to look out for each other - and for those who are in a low ebb, it's alright to admit it, you are not a lesser person for that.