Correct frame and seat height.

Globallywater

Correct frame and seat height.

Postby Globallywater » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:55 pm

Hello all,

Where’s the best place to find out about frame or seat height? Is there a site or can I just rock up to a bike shop and ask for their opinion?

I have raised the seat pole and my leg is slightly bent(almost straight) on the down stroke. Is this correct?

10speedsemiracer

Re: Correct frame and seat height.

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:32 pm

Globallywater wrote:Hello all,

Where’s the best place to find out about frame or seat height? Is there a site or can I just rock up to a bike shop and ask for their opinion?

I have raised the seat pole and my leg is slightly bent(almost straight) on the down stroke. Is this correct?
A pro bike fit is the best solution, but the video below may help some..

Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

uart

Postby uart » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:23 pm

Globallywater wrote:Hello all,

If you accurately measure your inseam then there are a few formulas which can get you pretty close pretty quickly.

Method 1. Distance from pedal top to saddle top, with pedal at the bottom stroke, in line with the seat tube and measured along the line of the seat tube. Around 1.08 to 1.09 times your inseam.

Method 2. Distance from the crank spindle centre to the saddle top, again measured along the line of the seat tube. 0.887 times your inseam.

Try both methods, they usually agree to within about half a cm for me (after taking account of crank length). I find this gives me a really good starting point, though you may need to tweak it slightly.

BTW. You have to accurately measure your (barefoot) inseam from the floor up, don't just go by clothes size inseam. There are plenty of online guides on how to do this.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:23 am

Globallywater wrote: I have raised the seat pole and my leg is slightly bent(almost straight) on the down stroke. Is this correct?
A straight leg with your heel on the pedal is another quickie. Just not in tall heels/boots.

My favourite is to stand and pedal with some effort (doesn't have to be a sprint), then ease your way back onto the saddle while still riding, and you shouldn't be either lifting up or dropping down to do so.
This method maintains the knee and ankle angles that you naturally prefer, and accounts for pedal and shoe height.