Greystanes canal / western sydney regional park hazards

g-boaf

Re: Greystanes canal / western sydney regional park hazards

Postby g-boaf » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:53 am

Hergest wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Watch out around Prospect Dam, the kangaroos there are becoming a bit of a nuisance. They are very unpredictable and in the afternoon with the sun glare in your eyes it can be hard to see them when they are behind low trees.

There was a ginormous one at the top of the dam yesterday. With the way his arms were hanging and his profile he looked like a younger Arnold Schwarzenegger. Fine looking animal but I wouldn't have wanted to challenge him to a fight.

That's the big male one that normally just stands there as you go past, right? I'm very cautious around him - you just don't know if it is going to stay put or not. The little ones are predictably crazy, they just scatter in all directions.

I heard there was another deceased one around Ferrers Road that was hit by a car, it was also very large.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:21 pm

g-boaf wrote:
That's the big male one that normally just stands there as you go past, right? I'm very cautious around him

Yep, that's him. Just stands and stares. I'll admit that I do like to see them there even with them hopping hither and thither. I once had one race me all the way down the dam road. He was on the grass side of the fence and as I rode down the hill it ran along at the same speed,every now and then it would put a spurt on then would slow down again. On the last downhill part I really hammered it and the bugger just picked up his pace a bit and cruised away ahead. Got me a PR on Strava for that one :D
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:43 pm

Hergest wrote:Yep, that's him. Just stands and stares. I'll admit that I do like to see them there even with them hopping hither and thither. I once had one race me all the way down the dam road. He was on the grass side of the fence and as I rode down the hill it ran along at the same speed,every now and then it would put a spurt on then would slow down again. On the last downhill part I really hammered it and the bugger just picked up his pace a bit and cruised away ahead. Got me a PR on Strava for that one :D

Don't try that with emus - they are quick but daft - the sods will get just in front then cut across your front wheel

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:08 pm

find_bruce wrote:Don't try that with emus - they are quick but daft - the sods will get just in front then cut across your front wheel

Funnily enough I once had an emu do the same thing when I was up around Coonabarabran. I was on the road, it was in a paddock and raced along side me keeping the same pace and kept on looking at me. Dumb thing ran into a wire fence. It shook itself and raced off across the paddock the other way.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:22 pm

Up near the top of Prospect Dam (the left turn to go up to Chandos Rd) there would have been about 10-15 kangaroos up there tonight. Most I've ever seen. All were behind the fence though.

Hergest wrote:
find_bruce wrote:Don't try that with emus - they are quick but daft - the sods will get just in front then cut across your front wheel

Funnily enough I once had an emu do the same thing when I was up around Coonabarabran. I was on the road, it was in a paddock and raced along side me keeping the same pace and kept on looking at me. Dumb thing ran into a wire fence. It shook itself and raced off across the paddock the other way.

Ouch that must have hurt! :shock:

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:28 pm

g-boaf wrote:Up near the top of Prospect Dam (the left turn to go up to Chandos Rd) there would have been about 10-15 kangaroos up there tonight. Most I've ever seen. All were behind the fence though.

Have you ever ridden up William Lawson Drive from the dam up towards Reservoir Road? There's normally about that many or more in the paddocks up there especially first thing in the morning.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:10 pm

Hergest wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Up near the top of Prospect Dam (the left turn to go up to Chandos Rd) there would have been about 10-15 kangaroos up there tonight. Most I've ever seen. All were behind the fence though.

Have you ever ridden up William Lawson Drive from the dam up towards Reservoir Road? There's normally about that many or more in the paddocks up there especially first thing in the morning.

Rarely, I've seen them up that way, but rarely down towards Chandos Road.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:40 pm

Prospect Dam gates are now shut at 4:30pm precisely on the dot.

The ideas of keeping them open at night obviously went nowhere.