Northern Beaches - Manly, Akuna, Westhead, Palm Beach

nard dog

Re: Northern Beaches - Manly, Akuna, Westhead, Palm Beach

Postby nard dog » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:31 pm

DG1984 wrote:Military Rd is all good. You can definitely take the bridge, however there is also a bike path should you not feel comfortable. Battle Blvd is the route you want, and along Sydney Rd as you've said.

It's a good little ride.
Thanks for the quick reply mate. Looking forward to the ride! Hopefully it will open my world to possibilities such as Akuna Bay!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:47 pm

Just a heads-up for anyone riding the Old Pacific Highway towards Brooklyn, it appears someone may be laying booby-traps for cyclists and motorbike riders in the shape of taped-up bits of timber laid across the road. Linked rather than displayed due to NSFW language.

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=59AC6D06

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:04 pm

Watch out for a couple of pot holes on the short climb on Pittwater Rd Bayview (after Loquat Valley Rd).

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:42 pm

Easily avoid by going the back way - up Loquat Valley to Lentara and then then make it around onto Kananook. And to give your legs a nice work-out, reverse it on the way back... a nice ride up Kananook.
Cycling is in my BNA

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:34 am

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere - NB cycleway/walkway project open for comment.

https://northernbeaches.mysocialpinpoin ... nnectingnb#/

bomber

Postby bomber » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:13 pm

Looks like they have removed the north and south cycle lanes on Forest way near the super centre.

Stupidly dangerous as just drops riders into the 80kph traffic.

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:21 am

bomber wrote:Looks like they have removed the north and south cycle lanes on Forest way near the super centre.

Stupidly dangerous as just drops riders into the 80kph traffic.

Wow, when? I rode there 3 days ago and the lanes were there.

bomber

Postby bomber » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:05 pm

Drove up there yesterday when I noticed it. No warnings up or anything. Can’t find any detail as to what’s going or why.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:41 pm

This was brought to my attention and I escalated it with my BNSW contact last night.

Credit to him, he got straight on it and it was fixed overnight.
I received a call back from <redacted> - who admitted a sub-contractor had "jumped the gun" with implementing shoulder closures without associated safety works. The closures were reversed last night. I think the combined responses from a number of riding areas caused this to occur.

I've suggested that somebody needs more than a slap on the wrists - <redacted>.

Following this I have emailed the RMS (North Precinct) Network & Safety Manager - with CC to RMS Active Transport Manager, and TfNSW AT people. Due to the lapse in safety by DM Roads/RMS, I have now requested that a Road Safety Audit on the entire project be carried out BEFORE it proceeds.

bomber

Postby bomber » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:03 pm

That's a great result TG

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:23 pm

Yeah, they're doing a great job. Much of it is down to this one guy - the key person dependency does worry me a bit!

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:50 pm

Good work - it is a high-traffic area which demands care and a preventative approach (in respect to all road users).
Cycling is in my BNA

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:40 pm

Riders who go out during business hours should avoid Akuna Bay between Nov 13 - Dec 1. The top section of Gen San Martin Dr (where Cottage Point Road begins) will be closed meaning you can't do a loop, but you will be able to go down McCarrs and ride down and up the eastern climb, just not the western side. Road closure will likely mean more traffic though.

caneye

Postby caneye » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:52 pm

Bobbin Head West .. partially resurfaced. It's a shame they didn't do the whole section. The new surface is super smooth. Triple thumbs up.

Spaniel

Postby Spaniel » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:42 pm

caneye wrote:Bobbin Head West .. partially resurfaced. It's a shame they didn't do the whole section. The new surface is super smooth. Triple thumbs up.
+1. Descended Bobbin Haad West this morning, it was like leaving extreme turbulence for a moment of silent silky-smooth flying, before hitting turbulence again!

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:55 pm

caneye wrote:Bobbin Head West .. partially resurfaced. It's a shame they didn't do the whole section. The new surface is super smooth. Triple thumbs up.
+1 Rode down it recently. Very nice surprise.
There is a larger stretch of the descent resurfaced, then a section where both sides are resurfaced.

Agree it's a bit disappointing that the whole stretch wasn't redone. But it made me a lot more comfortable descending this time.

Glad to see some money being spent on it.
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:17 pm

Rode Akuna Bay yesterday - part of the road was resurfaced on the west side (Cottage point side).
It was very nice to roll smoothly for a while.
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:08 pm

Zippy7 wrote:
+1 Rode down it recently. Very nice surprise.
There is a larger stretch of the descent resurfaced, then a section where both sides are resurfaced.

Agree it's a bit disappointing that the whole stretch wasn't redone. But it made me a lot more comfortable descending this time.

Glad to see some money being spent on it.
I hear that funding has been approved to do a resurfacing of the whole of Bobbin Hd West.

Spaniel

Postby Spaniel » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:24 pm

biker jk wrote: I hear that funding has been approved to do a resurfacing of the whole of Bobbin Hd West.
Can’t wait! But part of me will miss negotiating all the bumpy bits! :)

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:29 pm

Has anyone noticed what a sh!tfest Parrawi Rd has become? since they removed the boom gate at the bottom (late last year I think) the traffic has become crazy with an almost constant stream of cars. Last week I had a car pass me, a motorcycle pass the car and all this on a blind corner. someone is going to get hurt.

bomber

Postby bomber » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:32 pm

I've been wondering about this. I've been on the bus past there a couple times and the queue or cars at 7.40am goes further than you can see. I can't imagine its saving drivers any time with so many abusing it now.

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:40 pm

Response from RMS

Thank you for your email regarding the intersection of Spit Road and Parriwi Road, Mosman.

Mosman Council are currently undertaking changes to the traffic signals at this intersection, where as part of the project, traffic signals will be installed at the exit from the Spit East car park and a shared path parallel to the service lane. The upgrade will address the concerns of both residents and Councils over rat running. Works should be completed in the next coming months.

As Mosman Council are managing this project, Roads and Maritime Services suggest that any further questions regarding this project be directed to Mosman Council for comment via 02 9978 4000 or council@mosman.nsw.gov.au

Recently changes have been made to the NSW Road Rules around safety for motorists and cyclists. The updated Road Rules state that motorists are allowed to cross double lines to be able to ensure a safe distance whilst passing cyclists. Please see below excerpt from the NSW Road Rules 2014. More information around safe distances for motorist and cyclists can be found in section 144.

In the meantime I have found an alternative that also avoids the 20% section of Glen street.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:09 pm

Sparx wrote:Recently changes have been made to the NSW Road Rules around safety for motorists and cyclists. The updated Road Rules state that motorists are allowed to cross double lines to be able to ensure a safe distance whilst passing cyclists. Please see below excerpt from the NSW Road Rules 2014. More information around safe distances for motorist and cyclists can be found in section 144.
If you get any drivers passing you too closely, just show them section 144 of the NSW Road Rules 2014...

Surely it is the drivers who need to be informed of this and not the bike riders who are pointing out dangerous traffic infrastructure and situations. But from the council who supported the ultimate cyclists safety device which was created by an individual who publically noted that they don't ride a bike... what else do you expect.

The Northern beaches and Mosman areas will only be better for all with better cycling infrastructure... they just need to channel their energy correctly to making actual improvements.
Cycling is in my BNA

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:08 am

I wonder if the Land Cruiser that went over the side was somehow related to the increased use as a rat-run? 7:45am or thereabouts, although reports were of a medical incident. There would have been a few riders up that stretch at that time, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is a video someplace.

Also, Milsons Point locals are up in arms about improving access to the bike lane on the bridge: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newsl ... 6f33f59bed

While not strictly a NB portion, it would impact a lot of riders coming to the city from northerly points. Given that it is a state government asset and project, I don't see what North Sydney council can do but query the state as to better outcomes?

Jim

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:16 pm

The Norther Beaches Council have a survey for interested people. The focus is town centres and because transport has a role, this may be of interest: https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/4357257/NB18page

Unfortunately there is very little about transport to and around town centres and at the end only a '25 words or less' option for comments. But they conveniently ignore this topic even though real centres are about creating space for people and not cars.

Short survey, takes about 5 minutes.
Cycling is in my BNA