Powells Creek, North Strathfield Temporary Bike Path Closure

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Powells Creek, North Strathfield Temporary Bike Path Closure

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:03 am

--copy / paste--

Sydney Water has recently engaged Diona Pty Ltd to carry out naturalisation works in Powells Creek.

We plan to start work in May 2017. Before construction starts we will need to carry out investigation works. Please see attached copy of notification issued to surrounding residents advising of upcoming works.

Investigation work will start from Monday 27 March 2017 and will take about ten days to finish, weather permitting. Work will involve surveying the existing land levels, drilling a number of small boreholes, and excavating several test pits along the creek banks. Some vegetation clearing will be required to assist with this work. All disturbed areas will be temporarily restored to allow continued use.

Work hours will be 7 am to 6 pm Monday to Friday and 8 am to 1 pm Saturdays.

Cycle Path Closure
Access to the pathway along the creek will be restricted from Monday 27 March to Thursday 30 March 2017 between 9.30 am and 2.30 pm. Further diversions along the pathway will be required during this stage of work and signage will be in place to advise diversions. We will make every effort to minimise disturbance to customers during the work.
Cycling is in my BNA

Bunged Knee

Re: Powells Creek, North Strathfield Temporary Bike Path Closure

Postby Bunged Knee » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:57 am

Got to wait and see on how did it complete in late 2018. It is on Bay to Bay walk and there`s is bumpy asphalt on way to Cooks River cycleway. Good to have improved concrete share path alongside the creek.

Don`t know of where the diversions is in place for 1 1/2 years. Community newsletter PDF didn`t work as it reverts back to this same Sydney Water Talk website.

--copy / paste-- from https://www.sydneywatertalk.com.au/powells

Powells Creek Naturalisation

We are transforming sections of Powells Creek into a natural waterway by replacing the old concrete banks with sandstone and native plants

By transforming the banks of Powells Creek we will be creating a better environment for everyone to enjoy. We’ll remove the old concrete banks and replace them with more gently sloped banks with sandstone and native plants.

The naturalised banks will provide habitat for birds and other native wildlife. We will also build seats, a boardwalk and shared paths for the community to enjoy.

Work is due to start in May 2017 and finish by late 2018.

Community Information day

Join us for a free sausage sizzle and learn more about our work at Powells Creek. The project team from Sydney Water will be on hand to discuss this project and answer your questions.

Local council representatives will also be joining us.

Date: Saturday 8 April 2017

Time: 11 am to 1 pm

Where: Powells Creek Reserve, end of Conway Avenue, North Strathfield.

-editted- It had fixed the download link, please disregard my earlier comment of it as it was done in my attempt to try it.
Last edited by Bunged Knee on Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:53 pm

They seem to have fixed the link to the newsletter but it is still hard to tell from the dodgy maps just where the work is. As best I can figure, the work seems to extend on both sides of the creek from Pomeroy St past the Bridge at Conway Avenue, until Homebush Bay drive.

Its a very easy diversion - straight down George St North Strathfield between Pomeroy St & Victoria Ave as per this map - the road bridge over Powells Creek is a bit narrow & a few "traffic calming" hazards along George St, but it is otherwise not too bad

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:55 pm

For there to be shallower banks, the width of the waterway needs to be wider. Unless they plan on reducing the volume of water it carries however this would lead to more flooding and Sydney Water would not want that I wouldn't have thought.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:04 pm

Thanks find_bruce. Had 3 tries to download it and given up. Now it works. Looks much better than the asphalt path.

And as per your map link, I know the road as I used to ride to Aldi at North Strathfied years ago.
Strawburger wrote:For there to be shallower banks, the width of the waterway needs to be wider. Unless they plan on reducing the volume of water it carries however this would lead to more flooding and Sydney Water would not want that I wouldn't have thought.
Haven`t seen it flood the path yet when I rode past in wet weather.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:27 pm

Neither have I but I've seen it near the top.

Sorry, I should have clarified "more flooding" being along the entire creek line, not at that specific area.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:46 pm

Sydney water newsletter claims their model shows slightly improved flood capacity - Strawburger is right about the width, it is subtly couched as
We are naturalising as much of the creek as we can. We only naturalise banks in need of repair, where we have enough space, and a suitable budget to do the work. There are other restrictions like land condition and underground services. Where we can’t naturalise, and the bank needs repair, we’ll generally replace it with concrete.

jdh500

Postby jdh500 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:20 pm

I notice work has started this week with access closed to the cycle path.

JDH

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:35 am

jdh500 wrote:I notice work has started this week with access closed to the cycle path.

JDH
I rode through early on Wednesday morning no problem. Came back through around lunchtime and it was shut. Caught me by surprise it did. It will be lovely to have a better path as that one is dreadful.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

zebee

Postby zebee » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:05 am

It would be lovely to have a better path, but I didn't see anything on that very information-free website to indicate that would happen.

My money is it on being worse because they'll have been driving machinery over it and storing debris on it.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:40 am

Bunged Knee a few posts above mentions...Looks much better than the asphalt path... which makes me think he's seen something we can't find. I hope he's right.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

zebee

Postby zebee » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:58 pm

The newsletter linked above has a pic and this:

Canada Bay Council has asked us to build a three metre wide concrete shared path (for cyclists and pedestrians) through Powells Creek Reserve between the Conway Avenue pedestrian bridge and Warsaw Street.
Canada Bay Council will be talking to the community about the new shared path. To provide feedback
regarding the path please contact Canada Bay Council on 9911 6555.

However nothing on their Whatson section about it, so guess the best bet is ring them. Especially to find out just why Warsaw St and not Pomeroy St? Sounds to me like that will be a path on the other side of the creek! Meaning have to mix with the traffic on the bridge as it narrows then up the hill along George then down again.

jdh500

Postby jdh500 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:38 pm

No, cycle path is staying on existing side, they may also be adding something on the other side though. They have pegged out the path of the replacement path, some of it will be the raised metal mesh type path that will go through the edge of the swamp area etc.

I guess it won't be ready for the spring cycle in October, it normally uses this section of cycleway.

JDH

jdh500

Postby jdh500 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:41 pm

Seems to be open again, around lunchtime though. Cut down all the trees, and stock piling all the material before major works.

JDH

zebee

Postby zebee » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:20 pm

Got a reply back from Sydney Water

A section of the cycleway will be transformed to an elevated boardwalk which will allow the salt marsh to continue to grow.

As part of this work we will need undertake tree removal. The cycleway will be resurfaced and by removing trees through the construction works, there will be no roots growing to disturb the cycleway.

I didn't take it today, if it's open again I'll probably give it a look next week. Dunno they'll have all that done by then though.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:03 pm

UPDATE: The shared path closure between Powells Creek and Mason Park Wetlands has been delayed. This shared path closure will now be in place from 18 August 2017 for up to 11 months.

"Our tidal management system did not work as planned, so you may have noticed less construction work over the past few weeks whilst we fixed this. Construction work will increase over the following weeks."

Details for detour:
Alternate route along Salesyard Creek cycleway, Underwood Road and Pomeroy Street. The map below outlines this route. The route along Underwood Road has been widened .
Cycling is in my BNA

jdh500

Postby jdh500 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:28 pm

Seems to be working on the new shared path or access track on the other side of the canal today.

JDH

jdh500

Postby jdh500 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:58 pm

New section of bike path now has bitumin layer along the canal from bridge near the tennis courts back to North Strathfield.

I’d say probably another 6 to 8 weeks before it re-opens. Will still take time to complete rails and other related earthworks.

JDH

zebee

Postby zebee » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:01 pm

And it is open!

Was closed when I went past this morning but open when I returned this evening.

Mix of bitumen and metal grating, so far so good No trees near the road so we can hope that the bitumen stays flat.

I find it hilarious that they have this expensive bike path that spits you out to... a standard footpath. With no ramping to get you to the road. You have to ride a few metres to get to a driveway. Of course most people go up the path to get to the lights but there is no sign to say it is a shared path so I have to assume I am supposed to walk up the hill.

Zebee

jdh500

Postby jdh500 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:30 pm

Yes, I’ve been walking through this area throughout construction and arranged with another fellow rider from my work for the extra bit of concrete to be placed near the bridge on the tennis court side. I’ve ridden along it the last 3 days and will also tomorrow. I think they want overboard with bollards in the middle of the new path though.

JDH

jdh500

Postby jdh500 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:30 pm

jdh500 wrote:Yes, I’ve been walking through this area throughout construction and arranged with another fellow rider from my work for the extra bit of concrete to be placed near the bridge on the tennis court side. I’ve ridden along it the last 3 days and will also tomorrow. I think they want overboard with the bollards in the middle of the new path though.

JDH