Greenway - comment on new proposals

zebee

Greenway - comment on new proposals

Postby zebee » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:02 pm

https://www.yoursayinnerwest.com.au/greenway

includes a bunch of docs to look at and one of those interactive map thingies as they had for the Harbour Bridge path consultation.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Greenway - comment on new proposals

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:43 am

I hear bad things about budget, will this project get deferred and deferred and ....
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:24 am

How many times have they "planned" to replace the wooden bridge over the Cooks River? Forgive my cynicism but it still looks to me like a "wish list"

While they claim that it includes "Safer crossings under major roads" as far as I can tell this is only Parramatta Rd (which currently has a poorly designed overpass) with a tunnel under Old Canterbury Rd a "long term option" It appears that Marion St remains at grade with low priority pedestrian crossing
Anything you can do, I can do slower

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:20 pm

Its not cynicism find_bruce, they had the option for the best / cheapest greenway in conjunction with the tram construction in 2011 but they blew it because it was a "labor" plan and would have only benefited inner city types (at a trivial cost even with their bloated cost estimate), that opportunity is gone and will never come again, anything in the future ( likely long long future) will be 2nd / 3rd best and more expensive, we have Gladys to thank for that, it is a pity that stupidity / lack of vision isn't a criminal offence so we could drain the swamp of our current state "leadership"
Bill (Long Distance Dreamer)
2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:35 am

find_bruce wrote:How many times have they "planned" to replace the wooden bridge over the Cooks River? Forgive my cynicism but it still looks to me like a "wish list"

While they claim that it includes "Safer crossings under major roads" as far as I can tell this is only Parramatta Rd (which currently has a poorly designed overpass) with a tunnel under Old Canterbury Rd a "long term option" It appears that Marion St remains at grade with low priority pedestrian crossing
That bridge is a classic heritage item, they can't get rid of it! :wink:

roberto73

Postby roberto73 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:42 pm

I spoke to a Canterbury Bankstown engineer about the Cooks River bridge and he said they were going to replace it. A tender was submitted but apparently was too expensive or something so the Council was thinking of doing it themselves. So don’t give up hope!
Last edited by roberto73 on Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

roberto73

Postby roberto73 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:48 pm

On the Greenway, Inner West Council approved the project a couple of weeks ago. There is $27 m in the budget, which should do a bridge over the canal under Parramatta Rd, so you can avoid the current steep ramps up and over, and also will do a tunnel under Longport St and Old Canterbury Rd, and also I think a tunnel under Davis St.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:16 pm

roberto73 wrote:On the Greenway, Inner West Council approved the project a couple of weeks ago. There is $27 m in the budget, which should do a bridge over the canal under Parramatta Rd, so you can avoid the current steep ramps up and over, and also will do a tunnel under Longport St and Old Canterbury Rd, and also I think a tunnel under Davis St.
Thanks Bob - any idea when the work will actually start ?
Anything you can do, I can do slower

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:53 am

In recent years there's been a awful lot of cycling projects that have been approved, often in conjunction with other transport infrastructure changes and then canned before or during the project. Hopefully this won't happen to the greenway
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

roberto73

Postby roberto73 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:45 pm

Latest is that the detailed design is just about complete. One last chance to view and comment at http://yoursay.innerwest.nsw.gov.au/greenway. Note the tunnels and bridges have already been designed and aren’t included in this lot of designs. Of interest is the Lilyfield Rd bridge path being shifted to the south side, and narrowed from 3.4 m to 2.8 m, and bollards being installed. Also the big roundabout there will go and be planted out with trees. The path along the canal is being altered and looks a bit too bendy to me. To save money they aren’t tunnelling under Old Canterbury Rd but are putting in lights at the Edward St/Weston St intersection, with a Bike Bvde along Weston St. Anyway, have a look at the landscape drawings.

Disturbing news is that Sydney Trains still needs to sign off on the Greenway, and that they have been very slow to do so, over a year so far. If they don’t approve by end of month it may delay the start of the vital tunnels and bridges from end of 2019 to end of 2020, due to a micro bat colony. See message from Mayor https://www.greenway.org.au/news/inner- ... way-delays