Job in Chatswood - best place to live for cycling to work?

mindfulwheels

Job in Chatswood - best place to live for cycling to work?

Postby mindfulwheels » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:30 pm

Hi everyone.

I'm looking at a possible new 9-5 Mon-Fri job in Chatswood (on Help St), and am uber flexible as to where I'd live.

I'd like to take up cycling to work as an option, and even would pick a certain location to rent if it meant more suitable biking to work.

Any tips or advice for this idea and situation? Obviously safety is the main concern.

I like the west side of the Pacific Highway (nearer to all the nature) but I'm assuming it's a nightmare for cycle safety to navigate that big intersection into Help St 10 times a week during peak hour.

TBH I'm a beginner (and would build up experience carefully), but I'm serious, so that's why I'm asking here.

Glen

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Job in Chatswood - best place to live for cycling to work?

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:17 pm

My feedback may be a bit dated, west near Lane Cove is nice but bike access is nasty. Easier is Willoughby but it does’t really matter because traffic is always busy and not really accommodating to bike commuters unfortunately. Chatswood Apartment or Gordon, Pymble Turramurra are nice if you can afford it.

mindfulwheels

Postby mindfulwheels » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:36 pm

Ok.

I've now been offered the job but am in negotiation re: salary (so I may still not get it). Their offices are on the east side of the highway (Help St) so I assume living on the eastern side (to avoid the highway entirely) is safe, but man if we can't reasonably ride bikes in suburban / metropolitan areas like this then something needs to be done about this to make our roads and society more bike-friendly, because it's bloody good for our health and the environment and safer than cars for pedestrians too.

(I'm actually co-organising the inaugural 2019 'World Naked Bike Ride Sydney' event, to specifically address this (along with body image), which is why I'm so serious about this.)

Sigh.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:01 pm

Your instrument could have been better placed in your avatar. :lol:

tez001

Postby tez001 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:28 pm

mindfulwheels wrote:
(I'm actually co-organising the inaugural 2019 'World Naked Bike Ride Sydney' event, to specifically address this (along with body image), which is why I'm so serious about this

It is just me that thinks a nake bike ride wont really help the cycling culture at all?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:04 am

Cycling culture is not necessarily the motivation... but that is besides the point.

You will find the routes that suit and there are a number of commuters who cycle from the north shore towards the city, it is just well behind where it should be for balanced transport.

See if willoughby council have any bike paths / mapping that can help you with your orientation... and good luck with the job.

mindfulwheels

Postby mindfulwheels » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:30 am

Thanks admin. This is a good tool to use for anywhere in NSW, I'll use this to assist me and recommend it to anyone: http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maps/cycleway_finder

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:49 am

There is plenty of access to Chatswood from either side. What you can't avoid is the hills.

How far away from work are you looking at? For example, you could easily live in North Ryde/Marsfield/Macquarie Park, which is now pretty well covered by cycling paths. To get to Chatswood from there, you can just cut through Lane Cove National Park, which is a great morning commute. If you want to extend the commute you can just do a few laps of the park on almost completely empty roads. The climb up from the park to Chatswood, at least for the first and last part is not exactly easy, but it is fairly short. The official bicycle route bring you out onto the Pacific Hwy at Centennial Ave, so you only have to cross over the highway then take the first left into Albert Ave, which is only about 50m away. You can then work you way over the Help St from there.

If you don't want to deal with Lane Cove National Park or the climb back up, you can use the Epping Rd/Gore Hill Bike Path that runs all the way from North Ryde. When you get to he back of Artarmon, you can cut up through Artarmon Reserve and follow the path/bicycle route back through to Chatswood, crossing over Mowbray Rd at Devonshire St, which then takes you into Chatswood.

If you go North along the Pacific Highway, the Sydney Easy Riders commute along the North Shore, following the Railway Line on the opposite side to the Highway, so this is also an option. Turramurra/South Turramurra can be good, as you are then nicely placed to ride the 3 Gorges on the weekend, and you have easy access to Macquarie Park via Kissing Point Rd & Browns Waterhole.

I am riding from Dural to North Sydney. FIrst day back on the bike today after an extended break due to injury and family commitments. At my peak fitness, that was only a 50 minute ride.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '15 Cervelo S5

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:02 pm

Years ago I use to work in Help st, different buildings over time. Only one of the buildings at that time had a shower and there was only one. I ended up joining the gym so I could use the shower and ended up using the facilities too :)

I was bike commuting from south of the Harbour bridge (from Ashfield). The question I bring to you is how much cycling in Traffic do you want to do? If you are trying to avoid traffic then (as it was at the time) you could cycle south along the western side of railroad tracks to the road that crosses between Chatswood and Artamon train station then swap to the eastern side of the railroad tracks cycling past Artamon train station and into the park at the bottom. There you can join the M2 cycleway and go quite some distance west or a reasonable distance east and south east. It's hilly so will be great for your fitness. Look up the M2 cycleway, it may give you some ideas as to where to live
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

mindfulwheels

Postby mindfulwheels » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:40 pm

queequeg that is really, really excellent info thank you (and thanks mikesbytes too)! What you've said makes me think RMS's Cycleway Finder isn't necessarily up-to-date, and their maps are definitely not as detailed as Google Maps (it doesn't even show the Chatswood Golf Club zoning e.g.), despite the tool feeling snazzy. I know a guy who used to design bike routes for the City of Sydney (he's giving us advice for the World Naked Bike Ride), might ask him if he knows what's happening there.

What's better is Google Maps with its 'Bicycling' overlay:

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-33.7944777,151.1618385,15.47z/data=!5m1!1e3

A ride through the park (and a non-busy road, just with with a decent flashlight for the occasional speeding car I guess) sounds beautiful, and how good would it be to get non-polluted fresh air like that into the lungs each day too!

I'm a total noob regarding how long of a twice-daily ride I'd be prepared for. Fitness is zero issue (I'm a good runner and swimmer and eat an amazing health diet that I've found gives me a big edge for fitness capacity in general). It's more the time taken out each day over a whole year (given the job is a pretty intensive one). On the plus side, a 45-min ride after work could empty my brain and flush it all away, while giving my body an awesome workout! (And in the morning, get oxygen into my brain so I can THINK better, which the job is all about!) Thanks for the nice idea about that park. With a bike, maybe it can be my playground.

It'd be a real adventure if I do get this job. I am in pretty good talks with a house I've already visited on Bayswater Rd (Lindfield) and that's only 17-min cycle to Help St if you minimise highway usage (...minus traffic of course).

Who knows.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:18 pm

mindfulwheels wrote:queequeg that is really, really excellent info thank you (and thanks mikesbytes too)! What you've said makes me think RMS's Cycleway Finder isn't necessarily up-to-date, and their maps are definitely not as detailed as Google Maps (it doesn't even show the Chatswood Golf Club zoning e.g.), despite the tool feeling snazzy. I know a guy who used to design bike routes for the City of Sydney (he's giving us advice for the World Naked Bike Ride), might ask him if he knows what's happening there.

What's better is Google Maps with its 'Bicycling' overlay:

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-33.7944777,151.1618385,15.47z/data=!5m1!1e3

A ride through the park (and a non-busy road, just with with a decent flashlight for the occasional speeding car I guess) sounds beautiful, and how good would it be to get non-polluted fresh air like that into the lungs each day too!

I'm a total noob regarding how long of a twice-daily ride I'd be prepared for. Fitness is zero issue (I'm a good runner and swimmer and eat an amazing health diet that I've found gives me a big edge for fitness capacity in general). It's more the time taken out each day over a whole year (given the job is a pretty intensive one). On the plus side, a 45-min ride after work could empty my brain and flush it all away, while giving my body an awesome workout! (And in the morning, get oxygen into my brain so I can THINK better, which the job is all about!) Thanks for the nice idea about that park. With a bike, maybe it can be my playground.

It'd be a real adventure if I do get this job. I am in pretty good talks with a house I've already visited on Bayswater Rd (Lindfield) and that's only 17-min cycle to Help St if you minimise highway usage (...minus traffic of course).

Who knows.
Ha 2.1K, you might as well walk it :) https://goo.gl/maps/e9cGDywQoPy

The dotted lines on the bicycle version of the map you posted is probably the best route from Bayswater rd. Back in the day when I worked in Chatswood, those roads were good but things change.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:49 pm

I live in the Northern Beaches and used to commute to Sydney Olympic Park via Chatswood. Did that for few years and got good at climbing hills. :lol:

Mowbray Road is a quieter option than Fuller's Road if you're looking for digs in Lane Cove. I don't miss the isolation out at SOP but I do miss the commute.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:40 am

trailgumby wrote:I live in the Northern Beaches and used to commute to Sydney Olympic Park via Chatswood. Did that for few years and got good at climbing hills. :lol:

Mowbray Road is a quieter option than Fuller's Road if you're looking for digs in Lane Cove. I don't miss the isolation out at SOP but I do miss the commute.

Coming up from the park, the official route avoids the busy part of fullers rd entirely. It’s actually a pretty quiet ride, but when you get to Centennial Ave, you have that nasty hill to deal with, although it is nothing compared to the horrendous first 100m after leaving the park near Lady Game Drive.

I have done a detour through LCNP On my way from Dural, exiting the M2 at Lane Cove Rd and entering the park by either looping under the bridge or just enter via the top gate, do 3 or 4 laps to add km (9km total per lap), then up to the highway at Chatswood and down to Nth Sydney.

Today i ride for the first time in a few months, after a failed attempt at starting up commuting in winter. I took the old M2 detour and discovered three sections where the NorthConnex and NWRL construction completely blocked the bike path and forced me to either ride on a busy road, or get off and life the bike up and over.
Was going to try my other route next, but with all this rain the M2 underpass at Sutherland Rd will be flooded for sure.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '15 Cervelo S5

Warin

Postby Warin » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:27 am

queequeg wrote:Was going to try my other route next, but with all this rain the M2 underpass at Sutherland Rd will be flooded for sure.

I expect there will be debris on the underpass road, but if you use the footpath on the southern side you can miss most of it.
Water .. yes it is up a bit but the rain has been fairly light so the water level is actually not too bad. There has been at least one large flow but is went some days ago (that is where the debris came from).

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:05 am

Warin wrote:
queequeg wrote:Was going to try my other route next, but with all this rain the M2 underpass at Sutherland Rd will be flooded for sure.

I expect there will be debris on the underpass road, but if you use the footpath on the southern side you can miss most of it.
Water .. yes it is up a bit but the rain has been fairly light so the water level is actually not too bad. There has been at least one large flow but is went some days ago (that is where the debris came from).

I usually ride on the footpath as the road is nearly always full of rocks and silt. Usually, like clockwork, there is a massive downpour just after they get the bobcat in to clear it our, and it fills up again.
I have ridden through there on the high side of the footpath with the water up to the bottom bracket on the bike.The worst I have ever seen it is water up over the top of the fence.
I have photos from the aftermath of one rather big downpour, where the fence on the exit ramp on the Epping Side was torn in half by debris hitting it.

Warin

Postby Warin » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:42 pm

queequeg wrote:I have ridden through there on the high side of the footpath with the water up to the bottom bracket on the bike.The worst I have ever seen it is water up over the top of the fence.
I have photos from the aftermath of one rather big downpour, where the fence on the exit ramp on the Epping Side was torn in half by debris hitting it.

Further downstream this week I have seen debris ~1.5 metres high in the vegetation. The drainage is fairly good though, so it does not hang around for long.

If there were no gutter on the underpass stream side then I think the remains would be less deep.

Had a little more rain last night, looks like more coming in now. But tomorrow is supposed to be good.

mindfulwheels

Postby mindfulwheels » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:16 pm

Well, I've secure the job now (signing contract tomorrow), this'll be quite the adventure, now I'll feel boring if I live in the place only 15 mins cycle from work and not going through that park!

Warin

Postby Warin » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:09 am

mindfulwheels wrote:Well, I've secure the job now (signing contract tomorrow), this'll be quite the adventure, now I'll feel boring if I live in the place only 15 mins cycle from work and not going through that park!

Going through the park in the early morning I have seen;
swamp wallaby
possums
a duck flew past me at head height ... broke the 1 meter passing rule .. no number plate either.

In the afternoon
several ant eaters
large lizard .. ~1.5meter

Keep your eyes and ears open.

hunch

Postby hunch » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:20 am

Castle Cove! No big hills there or back....and not high rise hell.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:22 pm

Warin wrote:
mindfulwheels wrote:Well, I've secure the job now (signing contract tomorrow), this'll be quite the adventure, now I'll feel boring if I live in the place only 15 mins cycle from work and not going through that park!

Going through the park in the early morning I have seen;
swamp wallaby
possums
a duck flew past me at head height ... broke the 1 meter passing rule .. no number plate either.

In the afternoon
several ant eaters
large lizard .. ~1.5meter

Keep your eyes and ears open.

Was the duck wearing a helmet...mandatory y' know!! :P
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:15 pm

No excuses for being late to work :)

You could go for a ride before work and explore the local area at the same time. Your've picked a great time to hit it, the weather is changing for the better

mindfulwheels

Postby mindfulwheels » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:09 pm

Well, I've decided on living on Bayswater Rd Lindfield as indicated before, and my daily cycling mini-commute is looking better than ever: I rang the bike shop Cyclery Northside which is literally right next to the building I'll be working in every day, to ask for any tips or local knowledge for cycling into the area and apparently there's a shower block free to use inside the building carpark!! And if I ever need repairs or a new bike, I've got them right there to use. :) This whole thing is looking great.

I won't start riding on the highway until I get personal bike insurance though.

Warin

Postby Warin » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:28 pm

mindfulwheels wrote:I won't start riding on the highway until I get personal bike insurance though.

Look at joining bicycle NSW .. for the insurance.
https://bicyclensw.org.au/membership/

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:39 am

Absolutely read the details (PDS).... all of them in any insurance. Included insurance with Bicycle NSW can differ to dedicated (more expensive) insurance on the coverage.

mindfulwheels

Postby mindfulwheels » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:55 am

AUbicycles wrote:Absolutely read the details.... all of them in sny insurance. Included insurance with Bicycle NSW can differ to dedicated (more expensive) insurance on the coverage.

Ok that's good to know. From initial comparisons the different bike insurance providers seemed to be offering mostly the same set of features (but advertised differently on the surface e.g. some mentioning income insurance overtly and others not, even though it's in everyone's policy), but OK I'll definitely compare their policy documents carefully then, because it's important to know what to recommend to riders for our World Naked Bike Ride Sydney event as well.