Job in Chatswood - best place to live for cycling to work?

biker jk

Re: Job in Chatswood - best place to live for cycling to work?

Postby biker jk » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:22 am

mindfulwheels wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:Absolutely read the details.... all of them in sny insurance. Included insurance with Bicycle NSW can differ to dedicated (more expensive) insurance on the coverage.

Ok that's good to know. From initial comparisons the different bike insurance providers seemed to be offering mostly the same set of features (but advertised differently on the surface e.g. some mentioning income insurance overtly and others not, even though it's in everyone's policy), but OK I'll definitely compare their policy documents carefully then, because it's important to know what to recommend to riders for our World Naked Bike Ride Sydney event as well.

Chafing insurance would be a must.

mindfulwheels

Postby mindfulwheels » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:00 am

Surely we have Magpie insurance by now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBpTAOkmX2c

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:25 pm

mindfulwheels wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:Absolutely read the details.... all of them in sny insurance. Included insurance with Bicycle NSW can differ to dedicated (more expensive) insurance on the coverage.

Ok that's good to know. From initial comparisons the different bike insurance providers seemed to be offering mostly the same set of features (but advertised differently on the surface e.g. some mentioning income insurance overtly and others not, even though it's in everyone's policy), but OK I'll definitely compare their policy documents carefully then, because it's important to know what to recommend to riders for our World Naked Bike Ride Sydney event as well.

I can't speak for bike insurance but I can say with some forms of work liability insurance, the actual insurance provider (underwriter?) is the same company for many selling in the market place. However there still can be some differences at the front end. So as you have just said, read the policies carefully and I wouldn't be surprised if some insurances would be nullified by the naked ride with the justification that laws were being knowingly being broken even though there is no relevance to the incident that triggered the insurance claim
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

mindfulwheels

Postby mindfulwheels » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:20 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
mindfulwheels wrote:

I can't speak for bike insurance but I can say with some forms of work liability insurance, the actual insurance provider (underwriter?) is the same company for many selling in the market place. However there still can be some differences at the front end. So as you have just said, read the policies carefully and I wouldn't be surprised if some insurances would be nullified by the naked ride with the justification that laws were being knowingly being broken even though there is no relevance to the incident that triggered the insurance claim

Since you've mentioned that, we're aware of exactly that issue, and we have a plan to mitigate that to prevent our PL insurance policy from being challenged, or a claim declared as void (long story short, naked events for charity are on the rise and we think it is now exempt from NSW's two nudity offences due to the community spirit in which they are operated):

https://www.facebook.com/groups/WNBRSyd ... 2016271151

And yeah I was thinking about the insurance front-end vs. back-end thing the other day myself, realising that there's no way Bicycle NSW is an actual insurance company, though with the clout of an already-established biking company, perhaps it could be a benefit.

However a counter argument could be made that it's better for our organisation running the event (a non-profit ACNC-registered charity) to sign directly on the policy to have one less body to deal with who might (on our behalf) give up if such a PL insurance claim was ever challenged by the actual insurance company.

But to individual event-goers, we wouldn't in good conscience recommend a bike insurance provider (for a naked bike ride) who isn't on board with our ethos and why we do the event (and thus wouldn't help us in such a situation), so for that reason alone it'd be best to align our own org's PL insurance provider with who we recommend to event-goers, and find allies and friends in the biking community (and reducing risk) as much as possible.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:38 am

I want to wish you luck and success... infact, in the next building from your new office, I think you will find one of the biggest bike insurance providers. They release under a few names and are not the underwriter. Generally a direct policy will likely be prohibitive in terms of cost, but you could look at the Sydney to the Gong and see how they do it.

Generally you would be after each participant insuring themself with a compatible policy... and Bicycle NSW could be an interesting partner.

mindfulwheels

Postby mindfulwheels » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:48 am

AUbicycles wrote:I want to wish you luck and success... infact, in the next building from your new office, I think you will find one of the biggest bike insurance providers. They release under a few names and are not the underwriter.

Wow you're kidding me! (Are you meaning 'Velosure' on Victoria Ave?) I could have a meeting with them during one of my 250 upcoming lunchbreaks!!! #feasible #synergy

Generally a direct policy will likely be prohibitive in terms of cost, but you could look at the Sydney to the Gong and see how they do it.

Thanks for the heads up. We'll need a $20M policy, as that level is required for City of Sydney or NSW Crown Lands event approval. I thought it was just a typical $1000-2000 for all-year-round, but after googling just now I see it actually varies a lot, so can see how it could potentially scale up more than that.

We'll definitely be running our ride with a well-thought-out Risk Management Plan adhered to by our ride leader and marshals (for liability purposes exactly like this, and for the safety of our riders anyway).

But I guess expense of a direct policy is yet another reason for us to partner with a bike event insurance provider who already have the economic machine set in place to serve us more cheaply, and us give them business anyway.

Generally you would be after each participant insuring themself with a compatible policy... and Bicycle NSW could be an interesting partner.

Yep. Well, it's great to raise awareness for the importance for regular riders to insure themselves (all-year-round) anyway, And a cool sponsor / partner opportunity to boot!