Wollongong to Bega. What to take?

MustangSally187

Wollongong to Bega. What to take?

Postby MustangSally187 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:01 am

Hey Peoples,

Im planning a trip down to Tathra (near bega) from my home at Wollongong.
I used to live in Tathra and visit this beautiful countryside quite often. However i usually drive. I will spend 2-3 days down there, before i complete the return journey.

I plan to log the entire trip using my N95 and nokia sports tracker, so i will need another battery for my phone!

I will be breaking the trip up into two days, roughly 170kms per day. I will probably stay at a B&B at mollymook somewhere.

My mobile phone running Sports Tracker will be logging the whole journey, It also has a 5mp camera so that's sorted. I've ordered 3 additional batteries for it also.
Im just working on a list of equipment to take, so far i've got;

• Tyre Liners
• Sunscreen
• $200 cash + Credit Card.
• 2 x Sweat bands
• 1 multi tool with chain breaker
• 1 mini pump
• Electrical tape
• 1 camelback
• Tyre Levers

• 2 Spare tyres, front and back
• 4 Spare tubes + patch kits.
• Spare Chain Links
• Batteries for Lights
• Brake pads
• Sunnies!
• 2 pairs of padded niccs.

If anybody can add to this list or point out something i've overlooked, please don't hesitate to post.

Cheers,

Luke.
Last edited by MustangSally187 on Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dial

Postby Dial » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:44 pm

A good set of legs for sure, thats a big ride with all those hills
Have you got car support? It would make a huge difference to what you take

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:58 pm

Are spare tyres a bit overkill? You are going to be on the east coast in a relatively densely populated area. I did a two day tour from Buchan (Vic) to Jindabyne through the national park and apart from the usual tools (a small shifter, multitool/pliers thing, a Topeak Survival Gear Box and maybe a crank puller) and puncture repair kit I only took one spare tube.
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC

NathanC

Postby NathanC » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 pm

I would take an engine.

MustangSally187

Postby MustangSally187 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:56 pm

Dial wrote:A good set of legs for sure, thats a big ride with all those hills
Have you got car support? It would make a huge difference to what you take
I'm presently working on the good set of legs, i'm doing a few 100km trips soon to work up to it. No car support, i want this to be completely ME powered.
lemmiwinks wrote:Are spare tyres a bit overkill?
We'll without a support car, i don't want to get stuck 50kms from a town with a split tyre. Better safe than sorry i figure.

After getting yet another punctured tube today im starting to think 6 spare tyres might not be enought to get me there and back! I have a puncture kit with about 50 patches also.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:08 pm

Less stuff and good knowledge of where the LBS's are and what hours they are open.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:35 pm

1 spare tyre will be enough...but I agree with taking it...I used to take one on my training rides in Sydney,after having to catch a $50 cab home from one tyre failure it seemed like the right thing to do...and a few months down the track I got caught out 80k from home,it was life saver.
Take a repair kit and a bit less tubes...I have done 6 in one ride thou :lol: .
Enjoy the sun!...sun whats that!...is it that white stuff that is falling on my roof!!!.

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:55 pm

take a bus :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

Dial

Postby Dial » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:05 pm

No car, you’re going to want to travel light. I’d get tyre liners to stop punctures and forget about all those extra tyres and inners. Before I went I’d have new tyres, new brake pads and new chain (with a couple of hundred k’s on them to make sure there not faulty), and a full service.

I'd pack:
1 mobile phone with list of local taxis and LBS
$200+ in cash
Basic first-aid kit
1 inner tube (pick up others as needed on the way)
1 repair kit
Tyre levers
1 multi tool with chain breaker
1 mini pump
Electrical tape
1 camelback
2 x Sweat bands (nothing worse than salty riding gloves)
Sunscreen
Yellow or Red lens glasses. Sunnies aren’t that good in dappled forested areas.
Energy gels ($$$) but for this trip, worth the bickies. Get your food on the road.
Pocket camera.
Anything else like batteries you can get on the road.

I’d also carb up the night before at a nice Italian joint, get up early and carb up again before setting out.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:05 am

You would ride 340km with one inner tube!?!...the puncture fairy's must love you :D

lukas

Postby lukas » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:17 am

toolonglegs wrote:You would ride 340km with one inner tube!?!...the puncture fairy's must love you :D
Have to second that. Can't see any reason not to take a few. If you burn through a couple of them then visit that LBS in the middle of nowhere that your research identified.
Cervelo R3
Canyon Ultimate AL

mikeg

Postby mikeg » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:28 am

A list of the bicycle shops along the way, especially Moryua Bicycles, and their phone numbers for emergency component failure.

I would suggest 1 folding tyre, and several tubes.

A 5 dollar note as an emergency tyre boot

Know how to make adjustments on the bike - (gears, F & R deraillers, brakes etc)

Edit: Might also suggest a good bright strobe type rear light for daylight.
The Princes Highway on the south coast is notorious for accidents.
A white strobe for the front would be good as well. Many drivers underestimate the speed or the presence of an oncoming cyclist before overtaking another vehicle. (had this done to me on the coastal road north of Moyura Airport.)

There some segments where you cannot avoid using the Princes Hwy, and sections with lower traffic tourist routes or back roads. There are plenty of drivers who drive too fast on the winding sections and don't expect cyclists on the highway.
Last edited by mikeg on Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike G.

CAMWEST member

lukas

Postby lukas » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:29 am

... and your credit card!
Cervelo R3
Canyon Ultimate AL

Dial

Postby Dial » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:01 am

Since getting liners: 40k round trip commute, 3+ times/week for 6 months and not a single puncture.

Before that: at least 1 puncture/week. At least.

Forget the fairy's get liners and what's wrong with a patch to get you to the next LBS.

Alright, then take two inners. Maybe you could use the second as padding in your nix :)

[Edit: while swallowing old inner tube]
I think I might have over-looked the fact that 3000k+ riding on Sydney roads is a lot different to even 300k riding the shoulder. I’d still get the liners but your right, I’d have to be off with the Puncture Fairy’s to think one inner is enough.
Last edited by Dial on Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MustangSally187

Postby MustangSally187 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:52 am

Just got some new tires, my old ones had a few cracks and cuts in the side wall. I did have Continental Sport1000 (front) and Vittorio Rubino (rear).

Now i have 2x (pictured below) Continental GP4000's in blue to match my bike.

I was trying to track down some Hutchinson Fusion Long Distance tires as i've heard great things about these, but i couldn't find them anywhere. I picked up the conti's for $100 for the pair, delivered, so im quite happy with this.

zoom bean

Postby zoom bean » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:26 pm

If you are one to experience the odd broken spoke here and there you might want to consider having one or two of them as spares.

There was also a little nifty mini lock ring tool mentioned in this thread to remove the cassette if need be.

Other than that... ummm maybe a cheese knife?... think you have the rest covered.

Good luck with the ride.

MustangSally187

Postby MustangSally187 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:42 pm

I managed to snap some teeth of a few different rings on my cassette today!
Not a fun experience. I had to ride to my mates place with it skipping and slipping every pedal stroke.

It did however give me the excuse to upgrade to the new Shimano Hyperglide Cassette (CS-6500) 12-27 and a new ultegra chain (CN-HG93).

I was going to go with a Dura Ace cassette but from what i read in various reviews, they're not worth the extra $$$.

MustangSally187

Postby MustangSally187 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:02 pm

It's been a while since i've posted on this thread.

I'm slowly acquiring the necessary equipment and i've finally settled on an exact date for the trip. I will be leaving Wollongong on the Thursday 5th of Feb and traveling 200kms to Batemans Bay where i will stay the night. The next day i will ride 150kms to Tathra. I will commencing the return journey on Monday 9th Feb. I can only hope for good weather at this stage.

I will keep this posted.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:55 pm

good luck!

stay safe,

JV
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->