Cycle Re-Cycle Club/bike nunery

tobyt

Cycle Re-Cycle Club/bike nunery

Postby tobyt » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:48 pm

Has anyone ever been to this bike fixit/recycling workshop in Waterloo Sydney?

Thinking of going tonight?

cyclerecycle.au2.com

olivercashman

Re: Cycle Re-Cycle Club/bike nunery

Postby olivercashman » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:31 pm

Hi Toby,

I have been working at cycle-re-cycle/the nunnery bike club for about two years now. It is a fantastic place for those wanting to develop their skills as mechanics or looking for access to tools and parts. Thanks to support from a few different organizations we are starting to expand the range of professional bike tools we have available. We happily dispense bike parts and often whole frames for a small donation of money or time. We also generally have anywhere from 6-10 volunteers every Monday night happy to help with repairs or questions.

So do come down and check it out, or even help out if you have the time!

All the best,
Ollie

Pax

Postby Pax » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:54 pm

I go to Sydney reasonably regularly for work, but the place isn't open when I am there...must try to organise a trip for when it is open. Am I right in believig that it is only open monday nights??? SOunds great and I really want to check it out. (My work is just around the corner in Redfern)

olivercashman

Postby olivercashman » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:11 pm

Hiya,

That's right we are only open Monday afternoons from 5 till 9:30.
Essentially we are run by volunteers, and while we would love to be open all week, it just isn't possible.
Check out
http://bikeclub.wordpress.com/
or
http://cyclerecycle.au2.com/

Hope you can make it down,

Cheers,
ollie

orphic

Postby orphic » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:40 pm

First I have heard of this, but will definately be coming down next Monday.

I'll be starting a bike building project soon - is it cool to bring your own stuff down and work on it? In the mean time I'm happy to come help out. Not that I know anything, but I can at least offer a spare set of hands ;)

Pax

Postby Pax » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:48 pm

I first found out about the nunery after reading this inspiring thread on the forum, its very worth a look if you didn't see it first time around

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11193

The topic was Bike Co-ops in LA

olivercashman

Postby olivercashman » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:35 pm

Thanks for the link Pax,

At bike club we are very lucky to get a bunch of stuff from one of our local bike shops, particularity tubes, small parts, parts they have swapped off bikes etc...
We also love it if people bring down bikes they see dumped in the street or thrown out with the garbage. Most of these bikes just need a bit of TLC and can be back on the road rather than ending up in landfill. I used to always see bikes I knew I had no use for (kids bikes, bmx, ladies frames) and wonder where they ended up.

So if you do see dumped bikes or have any lying around that are not being used, bring them down to bike club on a Monday night and we can get it to someone who needs it. Otherwise feel free to bring down you own project bike and either learn from one of the mechanics, or offer a helping hand to a budding bike repairer.

cheers,
ollie