Blue Mountains Experience

Blue Mountains Experience

Postby ShanDog » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:57 am

So I've been out of action for about 3mths due to some total bs to do with a cracked frame on a (relatively) new bike, the bike store and warranty bs. I've just got my bike back and the lbs didn't set the gears properly even though it was supposed to be serviced as well. But after all that I'll have my bike back in a couple of days and after a few refresher rides to get back into it, I'm looking at organising a ride on the trails up in the Blue mountains, specifically either narrowneck, the oakes or st helena.

I just wanted to find out from anyone who has ridden on any of these rides, what their experience or opinion of these trails was. I'm not talking too much on how hard the ride is, more about the quality and enjoyment and technical side. I've done a bit of googling but nothing beats some first hand experience.

Cheers
Last edited by ShanDog on Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShanDog

by BNA » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:09 pm

BNA

Postby Bnej » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:09 pm

Narrow Neck is great.

The part accessible to cars has some corrugation, but is otherwise in good condition. Most of the rest is in good condition, but some sections are very rocky. Fantastic views.

Some parts are very steep, check your brakes are in good condition, and your granny gear is ready to go.

On weekends there can be quite a few other cyclists and hikers out there.

Make sure you take enough water.

Haven't tried Oaks/Anderson trails, but they're longer and mostly down hill - if you do both it's some 60 or 70 kms. I doubt the scenery is as good though.

Mt Hay road is another one, and there are a bunch of good rides up in Blackheath. If you drop in to the Velo Nova bike shop in Katoomba street, they have a little "Rides in the Blue Mountains" booklet.
Bnej

Postby daacha » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:43 pm

I have ridden the oaks trail a few times. The first 10kms is pretty tough going with plenty of up hills and down hills. The trail is really loose and rough in some spots but keep going it is really worth it. From there you get about 14kms? of graded trail all downhill (yes 40-50km/hr stuff that is awesome). When you hit the dirt road it's pretty corrugated so when you get to the picnics grounds (Ingar maybe?) there is a few kms of single track stuff until you reach the causeway at Glenbrook. The single track is great fun, not too technical and well worth it. If you have any energy left ride up the causeway. I've never been able to and have walked up everytime.

daacha
daacha

Return to New South Wales