HTFU Thursday

NotFlyingScot

HTFU Thursday

Postby NotFlyingScot » Thu May 14, 2009 3:16 pm

Thanks Jeff, Anthony & Todd for dishing out another dose of HTFU to the old fella this morning. To think I used to spend my Thursday mornings in a 23rd floor office in Kent St!
Top mornings exercise, 2 x 40 km individual TT's along the M7/M4 interupted only by a selection of Jeff's best lower Blue Mts climbs.
Can't beat it.
NFS
PS Thanks for waiting
FPR Jubilado Bludger

Addict

Re: HTFU Thursday

Postby Addict » Thu May 14, 2009 4:02 pm

what time do these htfu sessions take place?

NotFlyingScot

Postby NotFlyingScot » Thu May 14, 2009 4:13 pm

Addict wrote:what time do these htfu sessions take place?
9.00 am from Lifecycles Penrith bike shop on Thursday mornings.
NFS
FPR Jubilado Bludger

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Thu May 14, 2009 9:09 pm

NotFlyingScot wrote:Top mornings exercise, 2 x 40 km individual TT's along the M7/M4 interupted only by a selection of Jeff's best lower Blue Mts climbs.
Can't beat it.
:idea: :idea:
FPR Ragamuffin

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Thu May 14, 2009 9:23 pm

NotFlyingScot wrote:Top mornings exercise, 2 x 40 km individual TT's along the M7/M4 interupted only by a selection of Jeff's best lower Blue Mts climbs.
bloody hell did you pedal to and from the HTFU ride?????

You're already HTFU Sandy :lol:

Russ
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

sandman

Postby sandman » Wed May 20, 2009 9:25 am

I still dream about the HTFU rides......the Thursday rides were the best fun I've ever had on a bike :-) well until Antman broke me on OBR...if anyone plans to get stronger on a bike, this ride is for you !

Sandman

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Wed May 20, 2009 11:15 pm

Best way to HTFU on these rides is to try them on a single-speed!

I'm a 3-speed lover myself.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

NotFlyingScot

Postby NotFlyingScot » Thu May 28, 2009 3:16 pm

First there were three starters, then there were two, and come 9.00 am it was down to one! Toyed with having a look at Bowen Mt Rd so rolled out along the Castlereagh Rd towards Richmond. Then remembered BadBlood's description having ridden up it couple of weeks back. "Pretty tough" was the simple description as I recalled. Now coming from Todd that should be taken as a warning! I think I need some psychological help for first ascents of that degree, like Jeff behind me muttering encouragement like "take your foot out the pedal and you'll feel this pump on the back of your helmet", so when I spotted the Hawksbury Lookout turn off at Agnes Banks the get out clause was duly exercised.
What a great ride turned out to be. Never been up there before. Really good steady long climb. Just sat and pushed 39/19 steadily up and around the bends. Highly recommended ride if you feel like stretching the legs a bit. Up to Springwood then the usual blast back down the highway to Penrith.
You need a louder alarm clock Lou :P

NFS
FPR Jubilado Bludger

sandman

Postby sandman » Thu May 28, 2009 10:09 pm

Well done Sandy, aint it just a great ride. Up there and loop back to Springwood. I'd have to agree with Todd, Bowen mountain has got hurt written all over it, last bits are up over 20%....You're so right, need BMXBandito swinging the pump for us to get up that one :-)

Cheers..Pete

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Thu May 28, 2009 10:28 pm

NotFlyingScot wrote:First there were three starters, then there were two, and come 9.00 am it was down to one! Toyed with having a look at Bowen Mt Rd so rolled out along the Castlereagh Rd towards Richmond. Then remembered BadBlood's description having ridden up it couple of weeks back. "Pretty tough" was the simple description as I recalled. Now coming from Todd that should be taken as a warning! I think I need some psychological help for first ascents of that degree, like Jeff behind me muttering encouragement like "take your foot out the pedal and you'll feel this pump on the back of your helmet", so when I spotted the Hawksbury Lookout turn off at Agnes Banks the get out clause was duly exercised.
What a great ride turned out to be. Never been up there before. Really good steady long climb. Just sat and pushed 39/19 steadily up and around the bends. Highly recommended ride if you feel like stretching the legs a bit. Up to Springwood then the usual blast back down the highway to Penrith.

NFS
He he he....yep...indeed...but not yet...am still at work right now...just about to finish up...
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=33 ... ij&z=a.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BadBlood

Postby BadBlood » Thu May 28, 2009 10:55 pm

Great work Sandy, a solo HTFU ride :) Sorry to pull out at the last minute but i just had to get some things done :?
Hawkesbury Lookout is easily my favourite climb, must have something to do with the hairpins. Infact, i might even go ride it tomorrow :)
I'll be there next week Sandy, for another torture session.
Todd
viva la bianchi

leximack

Postby leximack » Fri May 29, 2009 8:24 am

good going Sandy, your definately racking up some hardcore kms, and not wimpy M7 km's too, mountain stuff.
I know whos wheel to sit behind at the next race

Don

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Fri May 29, 2009 9:38 am

NotFlyingScot wrote:First there were three starters, then there were two, and come 9.00 am it was down to one! Toyed with having a look at Bowen Mt Rd so rolled out along the Castlereagh Rd towards Richmond. Then remembered BadBlood's description having ridden up it couple of weeks back. "Pretty tough" was the simple description as I recalled. Now coming from Todd that should be taken as a warning! I think I need some psychological help for first ascents of that degree, like Jeff behind me muttering encouragement like "take your foot out the pedal and you'll feel this pump on the back of your helmet", so when I spotted the Hawksbury Lookout turn off at Agnes Banks the get out clause was duly exercised.

NFS
Wow Sandy that's very impressive. I've got relo's that live at Nepean Estate (off first 80kph corner after the climb passed the creek) that I've ridden to a couple of times. That hill passed the creek is bad enough, let alone the hairpins/switchback section... Other than riding to the relo's I've only done that road from Springwood to Richmond, i.e. down not up. Will have to try it one day.... yeah one day :shock:

Did you come down Mitchell's Pass or Lapstone Hill? If the latter how did you go with traffic on the 55kph bend after the RAAF base?
Russ

NotFlyingScot

Postby NotFlyingScot » Fri May 29, 2009 10:35 am

ruscook wrote: Did you come down Mitchell's Pass or Lapstone Hill? If the latter how did you go with traffic on the 55kph bend after the RAAF base?
Russ
Russ, I only ever ride UP Lapstone, never DOWN that stretch. Too fast, too close to big rigs etc IMO when there is the much safer option of Mitchell's Pass (as long as one is not trying to hang onto bmxbandito or sandman :shock: :shock: )
Sandy
FPR Jubilado Bludger

sandman

Postby sandman » Fri May 29, 2009 1:51 pm

Sandy

You're missing the "slingshot" effect or the HUGE DRAFT from a truck :-)

1) Slingshot: Follow BMXBandito down the hill and just where it has the last drop before it goes under the railway lines, thats where you pull out from behind him and hit 90km/hr :-)

2) Pick the truck on the left hand sweeper where the concrete barrier is, thats where they tend to be the slowest. Your challenge is then to get behind him without the car behind getting close, and sit in behind the truck for as long as you can, obiously if you can hang on to the last drop, you'll go over 90 :-)

Not for the fainthearted but its awesome ;-) I caught one going up, roughly from the Lapstone/Leonay turnoff up to the RAAF base, made the ride up the hill a lot of fun, cant say it was easier as sustained speed was heaps faster ;-)

Cheers..Pete...

NotFlyingScot

Postby NotFlyingScot » Fri May 29, 2009 5:34 pm

Pete, I think you have clearly explained why a wimp like me goes down Mitchell Pass rather than Lapstone :lol: :lol: Shouldn't speak too soon but Todd reckons he can drag my a--e up Bowen Mt Rd next week. We shall see :roll: :roll: :roll:
Sandy
FPR Jubilado Bludger

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Fri May 29, 2009 10:25 pm

hmmm sorry Sandman I'm with Sandy. 90kph on a pushy with nothing but lycra between skin and bitumen is a touch too scary for me....
I've gone down Lapstone Hill a few times, but generally do Mitchell's Pass because of the slower speeds, less traffic and NO trucks :D

But then since my stack last year, I'm a total woose on downhill and don't go over 50 (well probably up to 55 on some occasions now).

Bet you don't have any bitumen downhills at the Alice like Lapstone :lol:

Russ

sandman

Postby sandman » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Hey Russ et al

We do have one mean MF hill here down from the TV tower but the thing is so locked up with razorwire, Lycra wouldn't protect my skanky ass trying to cut the wire :-) I agree with it being nutty, not sure if I'd do it again......awwhhh stuff it yes I would, wot the hell. UP and out of the seat and pedal like a bastard I reckon....

Missing ya all

Sandman

NotFlyingScot

Postby NotFlyingScot » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:36 pm

Well BadBlood you served me up a good one this morning! Thanks mate. I think just as well we did this before I go on on holiday because after two months off the bike doubt if I'd be up for that again for some time.
Bowen Mt Rd from Penrith, certainly a 75 k ride with a bit of bite to it. Maybe we could make it an optional extension onto the Saturday morning Lifecycles ride?
NFS
FPR Jubilado Bludger

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:07 pm

sandman wrote:Hey Russ et al
We do have one mean MF hill here down from the TV tower but the thing is so locked up with razorwire, Lycra wouldn't protect my skanky ass trying to cut the wire :-) I agree with it being nutty, not sure if I'd do it again......awwhhh stuff it yes I would, wot the hell. UP and out of the seat and pedal like a bastard I reckon....

Missing ya all
Sandman, you're definitely a crazy dude - meant int the nicest possible way of course :D . I don't call those speeds with trucks in the area fun at all :lol:

Sandy, you're getting addicted to this hill climbing thingy... I think you need the 2months off so we have at least a chance of staying with you!

Have a good one all.
Russ

BadBlood

Postby BadBlood » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:42 pm

Thanks Sandy, it was a great ride. Kurrajong lookout is the next one to check off.

Here's the great Sandy in action just near the summit of Bowen Mountain.
Todd
viva la bianchi

NotFlyingScot

Postby NotFlyingScot » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:18 pm

With the coming of spring an old man's fancy turns to .................... climbing steep hills :wink:

So for the first time since early June it was out the M7/4 to meet up with Todd aka "Badblood" outside Lifecycles for my re aquaintance with some of the better stretches of uphill tarmac in the lower Blue Mts. Always a bit intimidating riding in the company of a young grimpeur of Todd's ability but he's a patient young man and stayed with me on all the hills with encouraging words.
Was not as hard as I was expecting so must be getting a bit of strength back in the legs which suggests the training is paying some dividend.
A couple of Shotz tablets in the water bottle courtesy of Bmxbandito provided additional sustenance for the ride home. Just as well since the stretch on the M7 coming home from the M4 interchange round to Richmond Rd was murder into a howling wind. Struggled to hold 25 kph on a stretch I was doing 45 kph on Monday!
With 130 km and a few good hils under the belt was ready to consume a small horse when I got home. Tks for ride Todd.
NFS
FPR Jubilado Bludger

leximack

Postby leximack » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:18 pm

your a machine Sandy
I havent riden all week. Might try and commute tomorrow but since i ripped off my nail on my pinky toe it hurts like hell to wear cycling shoes. (thanks Julies Pot plants :evil: )
I need to ride though or i am going to get totally smashed in the Worlds Masters Games :!:

Seeyou out there somewhere

Don

NotFlyingScot

Postby NotFlyingScot » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:53 pm

leximack wrote:your a machine Sandy
Don
Kind words Don but there are fast machines and there are slower machines and sadly I think I know which category I inhabit and are likely to continue to inhabit :cry: :cry:
Ouch! Missing toe nails are nasty until the freshly uncovered bit starts to toughen up. Probably only hurt for about six months :wink:
NFS
FPR Jubilado Bludger

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:03 pm

Good on ya Sandy!
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=33 ... ij&z=a.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;