Sydney Airport - Parramatta route required

Sydney Airport - Parramatta route required

Postby MountGower » Fri May 15, 2009 8:18 am

G'day

I may have to ride from the Sydney Airport to Parramatta later today or tomorrow morning. It's easy enough to look at the maps, but are there any roads to avoid or prefer along the way?

Thanks
MountGower

by BNA » Fri May 15, 2009 8:31 am

BNA

Re: Sydney Airport - Parramatta route required

Postby sogood » Fri May 15, 2009 8:31 am

Cook's River bike path connecting with Olympic Park and Parramatta river bike path around Homebush would be the shortest route. But I am not sure that you can easily find the path. Bikely would be your source. Avoid Parramatta Rd for obvious reasons.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby alchemist » Fri May 15, 2009 8:48 am

Avoid paramatta road.

You've got two relatively painless ways to Parramatta from the Airport.

1. From the airport head south and pick up the Cooks River Cycleway. A bit meandering, but you can switch off and not worry about traffic for a fair bit of the route.

2. Head through the City, across through ANZAC Bridge and down Lilyfield Road etc.
alchemist

Postby black4tress » Fri May 15, 2009 8:59 am

Hi,

This is probably what you're after for the first bit from Airport to Olympic Park. Then you can take the via duct (which is a path directly under the M4 motorway) to Parramatta. http://bikely.bikeradar.com/maps/bike-path/cent2bi

Hope this helps.
[Centurion LeMans Single Speed] [BMC Fourstroke FS03]
black4tress

Postby MountGower » Fri May 15, 2009 8:59 am

Thanks

I think I can see a creek beside the airport with a path joined in places by streets on google maps starting in Gough Whitlam Park. I'd look at bikely but find their search engine useless. I'll print off a few consecutive maps and should be right. I'll probably try the roads until that fails.

Thanks again.
MountGower

Postby sogood » Fri May 15, 2009 9:04 am

Good luck and enjoy Sydney!
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby MountGower » Fri May 15, 2009 10:01 am

I think I replied whilst others were also replying. Thanks for the links. I'm sure there is something simple I am missing when searching Bikely.
I'll get there.
MountGower

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri May 15, 2009 3:25 pm

Hey Mountgower,
Guess where I rode too and from this morning? I followed the Cook River Cycleway. You can go from Botany to Homebush SOP about 90% off road and from Homebush to Parra on the Parra Valley Cycle Path also about 90% off road.

When you're coming out of the airport (I'm assuming from T2 Domestic), ride the loop road around to O'Riordan St, up O'Riordan for a couple of sets of lights and Left onto Bourke Rd. Up Bourke and left at the lights onto Coward St. Ride Coward all the way along and at the end of the street is the start of the cycle path. Depending on the time of day, these roads are full of very large trucks. The path will take you all around Australia Avenue, and up to the Princess Hwy. Follow the signs to Homebush.

After that, follow the cuesheet and the map on this link to Homebush. Homebush to Parra is a standard run - look at Bikely.

http://www.bikenorth.org.au/calendar/ri ... &number=18

If you want any more info, you can PM me while it's still fresh in my mind.

David
bigfriendlyvegan

Postby rob e » Fri May 15, 2009 3:42 pm

My building is right at the end of Coward Street next to the bike path, so you will probably go right past my window!
rob e

Postby Kev365428 » Fri May 15, 2009 7:12 pm

Then Rob e most likely works for the same company I do.

Kev.
Kev365428

Postby hartleymartin » Fri May 15, 2009 7:37 pm

I'll have to try and remember this one - I'd like to ride to the Airport- fly to where-ever I am going and then ride off into the sunset...
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty
http://madmartysblog.blogspot.com - my cycling adventures
hartleymartin

Postby SteveTom » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:54 pm

I found this thread when Googling 'Sydney Parramatta bike' a few days ago; big thanks to the contributors - it was really useful, so I thought I'd add my experience for anyone else doing the same for the first time.

I've cycled twice from Darlinghurst to Parramatta in the past few days, and with time not being an issue used the Cooks River Cycleway (via Bourke St / Rd cycle paths), which was a pleasure to ride - pretty empty on both Saturday and Monday and well signposted.

On Saturday I went straight through Olympic Park using Australia Ave / Holker St then right onto Silverwater Road, before picking up the Parramatta Valley cycle path.
I guess there must be a reasonable off-road option through Olympic Park, but I was running a bit short of time by then. Took around 3 hours in total in a relaxed ride with a couple of breaks.

On Monday I used the Cooks River route as far as Parramatta Rd, then went in search of the Viaduct path under the M4. I messed around a bit til finding the Duck River Cycleway close to where Junction St meets Adderley St West. I wasted quite a bit of time trying to find my way, and hated the 3 or 4 km of Parra Rd that I rode. Definitely worth avoiding if you have an option.

Cheers

Steve
SteveTom

Return to New South Wales