M7 Safety Alert Thread

Hergest

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby Hergest » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:14 pm

That's a shame that it will be closed off. I've been through when the barriers are across when there's just been half an inch across the path which is no different from riding through a big puddle. I wish we could just have a warning sign indicating that you go through at your own risk so that the M7 is freed from any responsibility.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:24 pm

I've also gone through there slowly at about 5-8km/h. That's slow enough to be safe and not throw up too much spray and as always, indicate that you are slowing down. It seemed common sense to me, and probably others did the same.

You can take a detour onto side-streets however, or just turn off at Cowpasture Road and follow the cycleway on there along to Camden Valley Way.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:38 pm

I hope there will be signage to tell people where to go for the detour!

Walastik

Postby Walastik » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:46 pm

this is what those nuckleheads put up along the path near Simms road yesterday. I passed there around 430PM, sun is still shining up and they were just finishing laying the rocks across.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:06 pm

Walastik wrote:this is what those nuckleheads put up along the path near Simms road yesterday. I passed there around 430PM, sun is still shining up and they were just finishing laying the rocks across.

How proud their parents must be. :shock: Well at least they're not setting fire to the local high school while they try to maim cyclists.

westab

Postby westab » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:07 pm

Thanks Walastik if you got a good look at these people please report them to the police. As I ride around this area often it is time I got a camera so if I see them I can send some pictures.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

kPrdfHTb

Postby kPrdfHTb » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:08 pm

Hergest wrote:That's a shame that it will be closed off. I've been through when the barriers are across when there's just been half an inch across the path which is no different from riding through a big puddle. I wish we could just have a warning sign indicating that you go through at your own risk so that the M7 is freed from any responsibility.
+1

Rockford

Postby Rockford » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:32 pm

westab wrote:Thanks Walastik if you got a good look at these people please report them to the police. As I ride around this area often it is time I got a camera so if I see them I can send some pictures.
How old are these kids? Teenagers? Older? (probably quoted wrong post but anyway)

Walastik

Postby Walastik » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:38 am

I wasn't able to get a nice look at their faces but definitely wont be older than 20. They were just scampering on the tunnel underpass going to Oakhurst. A pedestrian who helped us on removing the logs and rocks said that they are the same kids who laid those thick white paint on the path near this area a few month ago.

Anne-Marie@M7

Postby Anne-Marie@M7 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:57 am

Good Morning everyone

I'm sure you would all have noticed the rain over the weekend and today - this has led to flooding on the shared path near Ash Road, Prestons. As per one of my last posts, we have had to shut the newly installed gates between Jedda Road and Kurrajong Road and at Ash Road to prevent access to this portion of the shared path. This is to ensure the safety of pedestrians and cyclists.

We will be monitoring regularly to ensure that the gates are opened at the earliest possible opportunity once the flooding subsides.

If you have any questions, you can contact me on info@westlinkm7.com.au or phone 02 9834 9200.

Westlink M7 apologises for any inconvenience this may cause.

Kind regards
Anne-Marie@M7

zozza

Postby zozza » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:12 pm

Anne-Marie@M7 wrote:
If you have any questions, you can contact me on info@westlinkm7.com.au or phone 02 9834 9200.

Anne-Marie@M7
Can I throw rocks at that?

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:32 pm

I can't imagine there would be much support for those gates Anne-Maree, I maybe misguided, but in the many thousands of kms I have racked up on the M7C over the years, I am yet to come across anyone who has had anything but wet feet from that water. However I suspect broken limbs are to come from climbing the gates in cycling shoes to get through. More attention should have gone to resurfacing the metal covers along the path. I personally have been claimed by several. Never in all my rides through that water have I had an issue. Best leave the gates open.

Regards,

Phil.

leximack

Postby leximack » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:09 pm

zozza wrote:
Anne-Marie@M7 wrote:

Anne-Marie@M7
Can I throw rocks at that?
thats a fine specimen of the human race you have found there Zozz, should be a model :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:33 am

Gates are open but M7 Westlink web site still says they're closed.

Daniel@M7

Postby Daniel@M7 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:54 am

HI all

The shared path flooding gates south of Bernera Road (near Ash Road) were opened again at 8:20am. We do understand that this is inconvenient, however, in addition to the water over the path, we need to manage the silt which is transported across the path. This can be slippery. When neccessary we have to wash it off with a high pressure hose. Unfortunately we can not rely on 'at your own risk' signs in this instance.

Please be assured that we open the path as soon as it is safe to do so.

Daniel@M7

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:43 pm

Daniel@M7 wrote:HI all

The shared path flooding gates south of Bernera Road (near Ash Road) were opened again at 8:20am. We do understand that this is inconvenient, however, in addition to the water over the path, we need to manage the silt which is transported across the path. This can be slippery. When neccessary we have to wash it off with a high pressure hose. Unfortunately we can not rely on 'at your own risk' signs in this instance.

Please be assured that we open the path as soon as it is safe to do so.

Daniel@M7
Hi Daniel

Could you update your web site in a timely manner when the gates are re-opened? This would be helpful. Secondly, I believe you need to have a map indicating the diversion at the gates. Today I took a chance and decided to ride the M7 path and fortune smiled on me with the gates re-opened this morning. However, should the gates have remained closed how would I know how to get to Prestons?

JohnJoyner

Postby JohnJoyner » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:30 pm

Hi to all the regular M7 cycleway users... I have ridden it a few times in the recent past & was looking to ride it again this Saturday morning.
So my question is how does it hold up after all this rain? Do you think it will be worth getting out there & riding it? I start at the Prestons end. Are there parts that will be flooded? Debris? Any of that?
Thanks.
JJ

tez001

Postby tez001 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:35 pm

I rode it after the week downpour last Saturday and it was fine however I turned off at Chandos st. Bike just gets a bit dirtier :(

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:33 pm

I think you can just go down Camden Valley Way and then take Cowpasture Road to join M7 from that point. Rest of M7 is usually okay.

You can also join the motorway shoulder just down from the start at Prestons if you feel like that. Watch for debris though.

Daniel@M7

Postby Daniel@M7 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:17 am

Hi All

The shared path is closed as at 8:15 when I write this post. See our web site for updates.

We agree that we can improve the signage in relation to advice on the alternate routes and we'll get some signs made up shortly advising of alternate routes.

Thanks
Daniel@M7

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:42 pm

Daniel@M7 wrote:Hi All

The shared path is closed as at 8:15 when I write this post. See our web site for updates.

We agree that we can improve the signage in relation to advice on the alternate routes and we'll get some signs made up shortly advising of alternate routes.

Thanks
Daniel@M7
That's great news on the signage Daniel and well done for notification of the closure so promptly.

leximack

Postby leximack » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:04 pm

the magpie at Eastern Creek (near the waste depot) was in action today, he seems to have recruited a few buddies to help him out also :lol: :lol: .
He's not particularly nasty, few waves over your head and before you know it your through his zone.
Say high for me when you go through next :lol: :lol: :lol:

Andrew09

Postby Andrew09 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:03 pm

I tried to say hi to the M7 magpie today but he wasn't having a bar of it.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:02 pm

Andrew09 wrote:I tried to say hi to the M7 magpie today but he wasn't having a bar of it.
Saying hi doesn't usually involve physical violence of a homicidal nature :lol:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:22 pm

Is it the same one that physically crashes into people? If it is, shouldn't it be removed? By removed, I mean exterminated.

Don't get me wrong, I love the things - but that behaviour could seriously hurt someone. I think it did last year if I'm not mistaken.