M7 Safety Alert Thread

Andrew09

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby Andrew09 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:55 am

That's your rates and taxes hard at work right there.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:41 am

Jmuzz wrote:The flood bypass is terrible, can't believe they send carbon wheel roadies this way instead of going through one puddle!

Where are you going? That's the wrong way I think - I don't even recognise that route.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:51 am

g-boaf wrote:
Jmuzz wrote:The flood bypass is terrible, can't believe they send carbon wheel roadies this way instead of going through one puddle!

Where are you going? That's the wrong way I think - I don't even recognise that route.
Looks like they have exited the path after the underpass north of Kurrajong Rd and followed the dirt path to the start of Ash Rd. I agree that's not the official diversion.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:38 am

biker jk wrote:
g-boaf wrote:

Looks like they have exited the path after the underpass north of Kurrajong Rd and followed the dirt path to the start of Ash Rd. I agree that's not the official diversion.
Indeed, for Jmuzz, this is the correct way:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/-33.931 ... e0!5m1!1e3

You can also go further along Kurrajong Road and join the path again sooner, but most people just ride along Dalmeny Drive and Ash Road.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:03 pm

There is a gate halfway near the puddle which I attempted after the truck locked me in there with the new fortress gate.
Would have been easier to go right back to the start, but thought is was worth a shot.

Bikes are going that way though due to the gate, tyre marks show it.
Puddle vs that for risk factor?

I guess the state of that path and the illegal garbage dump growing there is Liverpool councils management, so can see how they won't be helping with a puddle, not going to be on their priority list.
They have a gate there and short paved section so obviously the path design intends it to be an access point but council must be refusing to join to it.

Gates back open today.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:57 pm

Closure Sunday 29th July for running race.

WestlinkM7

Postby WestlinkM7 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:06 pm

WestlinkM7 wrote:
biker jk wrote:
vosadrian wrote:
Not the downhill kink... the next one when you are heading South/West about 2-300m down. You kink right to go through a tunnel and then left to follow the path (then you go a few hundred metres to the creek with the longish bridge over it). On the right kink you can go straight to go up the quakers hill parkway exit. They have marked the path so there is a give way line if you are going right to continue on the path. There is a similar line for people coming down the entrance onto the path (straight in other direction). Someone coming up the path heading north/east would come under the tunnel, and if they wanted to exit the path to quakers parkway, the would have right of way over people staying on the path heading west.
It has to be an error. There's a Give Way sign on the entrance path but no sign on the main path (just the dashed line). I agree it will create some very dangerous situations. Perhaps Westlink/M7 needs to be informed?
Hi all, I've been reading through your comments about new line marking at Quakers Hill. I will bring it this matter up with the Assets team and they will be able to investigate and advise me on what changes have been made and why. As soon as I have some more information, I can update the forum with any actions we are taking. Feel free to email us directly with any observations or safety concerns, so they can be logged and we can address any issues - info@westlinkm7.com.au

thanks
Tracey, WestlinkM7
Hi all

Good news! We will be making some changes to correct the line-marking at Quakers Hill. Crews may be out working in this location in the next day or so. Take care if riding in the area. The path will be open under traffic control. Thanks again for raising it through discussion. Please email info@westlinkm7.com.au with any issues or observations like this, so our team can log and action quickly.

thanks
Tracey, WestlinkM7

WestlinkM7

Postby WestlinkM7 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:12 pm

Westlink M7 Blacktown Running Festival, 2018

Hi everyone

The M7 shared path will be closed to the public on Sunday 29 July 2018 between Quakers Hill and Hoxton Park for the annual Blacktown Running Festival. Closures start from 2am and the shared path is expected to be reopened by 2pm. There is information on the Westlink M7 website, and an email alert has been sent out this week. Signs are out too, thanks for image Jmuzz.

https://www.roam.com.au/using-westlink-m7

kind regards
Tracey, WestlinkM7

WestlinkM7

Postby WestlinkM7 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:28 pm

zebee wrote:As long as any "go through at own risk" gate/bypass is trike/velo friendly. So no raised bar or narrow gate.

Hey WestlinkM7 can you share the decision making process? Why is it important to close the path? The underpass at Tempe was never closed when there was water even if it was neck deep to a triker! IS it because this is owned by private corporations rather than a council? Who have different liability constraints?
Hi zebee, I understand the gates at Prestons were installed by Westlink M7 in consultation with RMS, as a safety measure due to the amount of water that impacts the shared path. In the past we have had rainfall events that have resulted in deep water sitting on the path for extended periods, sometimes less water that can subside faster, however as it brings silt and mud, that too poses a safety risk for shared path users. I'm not familiar with Tempe underpass or how it is managed. The M7 shared path is maintained by Westlink M7 on behalf of RMS. It is publicly owned land and infrastructure that is privately managed by Westlink M7. Hope this clarifies.

thanks,
Tracey, WestlinkM7

fishwop

Postby fishwop » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:35 pm

Kids playing chicken with remote control cars near the underpass between Sunnyholt Rd and Norwest Boulevard. Came belting around these esses heading towards Bella Vista only to encounter a remote control car just in front of my wheels, and a bunch of kids laughing. Stopped and called the cops. Be careful here during school holidays.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:58 pm

Cyclist cops on it this morning.
Good to see they are showing a presence for school holidays motorbikes and kamikaze RC cars.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:01 pm

Jmuzz wrote:Cyclist cops on it this morning.
Good to see they are showing a presence for school holidays motorbikes and kamikaze RC cars.
I saw them the other week too.

There was a madman on an electric bike shaped object today. Don't know what kind of power that thing had, but I was holding 400w and that thing went flying past me uphill at something like 45km/h. Don't know what speed he was doing elsewhere... :shock:
Last edited by g-boaf on Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JPB

Postby JPB » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:21 pm

g-boaf wrote:
There was a madman on an electric bike shaped object today. Don't know what kind of power that thing had, but I was holding 400w and that thing when flying past me uphill at something like 45km/h. Don't know what speed he was doing elsewhere... :shock:
Yes, someone flew past me on the climb up to Sunnyholt Rd adjacent to Kings Park this afternoon. I was stunned for a second or so until I realised what it was.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:15 pm

JPB wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
There was a madman on an electric bike shaped object today. Don't know what kind of power that thing had, but I was holding 400w and that thing when flying past me uphill at something like 45km/h. Don't know what speed he was doing elsewhere... :shock:
Yes, someone flew past me on the climb up to Sunnyholt Rd adjacent to Kings Park this afternoon. I was stunned for a second or so until I realised what it was.

Sounds like the same guy.

syu

Postby syu » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:24 pm

fishwop wrote:Came belting around these esses...
Solution - don't go "belting" around the esses.

fishwop

Postby fishwop » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:57 pm

syu wrote:
fishwop wrote:Came belting around these esses...
Solution - don't go "belting" around the esses.
Belting as in 25km/h or so.

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:08 am

Saturday noon - muppet on mini trailbike. might be the same guy revving up and down the street at Rooty Hill shops.
:evil:

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:15 am

M12 Geotechnical Investigations next to M7 Shared Path, Elizabeth Drive, Cecil Hills.
Monday 6 August - Friday 24 August 2018.
As part of the proposed M12 new motorway construction, Roads and Maritime contractor Jacobs Arcadis Joint Venture (JAJV) will be carrying out geotechnical investigation works in the M7 corridor, including next to the M7 shared path at Elizabeth Drive, Cecil Hills.

Works will be carried out between 7am and 5pm from Monday 6 August to Friday 24 August 2018, weather permitting.

Traffic Controls
The M7 shared path will remain open under traffic control. Shared path users are asked to observe signage and follow all instructions of traffic controllers who will safely direct pedestrians and cyclists around work areas. Due to the types of equipment needed to carry out the works, intermittent stoppages may be required while machinery is being moved.

More information
Westlink M7 thanks shared path users for their patience and understanding while this important work is carried out. For more information about the M12 project, please visit the RMS website.

To contact the Westlink M7, please call 02 9834 9200 or email info@westlinkm7.com.au.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:32 am

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/projects/sydn ... index.html

With the M12 looking like it going to happen it is probably time to start calling for a proper cycleway bypass during the interchange work.

It's usually a dog's breakfast when they do these motorway upgrades, cycleway get redirected into unsuitable streets for a year.

This will have to be a big interchange with big flyovers similar to M7-M4-Hume so can't see how the cycleway or breakdown lane will be able to stay open during the construction. Cycleway will have to be rebuilt though tunnel and stuff.

Should start making noise for a proper diversion path or dedicated road lanes to be inplace well in advance of construction.

The mountainbike park will be closing for the duration too.

Dropped pin
near Abbotsbury NSW 2176

https://goo.gl/maps/AebgZCUp3y72

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:23 pm

Jmuzz wrote:http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/projects/sydn ... index.html

With the M12 looking like it going to happen it is probably time to start calling for a proper cycleway bypass during the interchange work.

It's usually a dog's breakfast when they do these motorway upgrades, cycleway get redirected into unsuitable streets for a year.

This will have to be a big interchange with big flyovers similar to M7-M4-Hume so can't see how the cycleway or breakdown lane will be able to stay open during the construction. Cycleway will have to be rebuilt though tunnel and stuff.

Should start making noise for a proper diversion path or dedicated road lanes to be inplace well in advance of construction.

The mountainbike park will be closing for the duration too.

Dropped pin
near Abbotsbury NSW 2176

https://goo.gl/maps/AebgZCUp3y72
Yes, true - we should be making noise about it now. Get the local MPs of the surrounding areas involved in it - those MPs in electorates that aren't actually in the direct area, but whose constituents actually use the infrastructure. Parramatta would be one to try (Julie Owens MP)- I know a lot of Parramatta riders use the M7 (I see them on there). Quite a number of LACC riders on there too, and obviously Marconi riders.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:28 pm

This is their current area of effect, though they really havent settled on it yet so may change a lot.
But I assume that even if they plan to leave the path at its existing location that whole zone is going to be overtaken by construction and they will close the path for the duration. I cant really see how the eastern side ramps will happen without the path being demolished and rebuilt afterwards.

They will probably want to route via Cowpasture Rd right through to Horsley Drive because that has shared path for the route.
But its pretty sucky in comparison and will completely discourage most users.

Its a hard choke point to get through due to the two hills, which are the tree covered bits.
South of Elizabeth drive is easy enough but you have to go right down to Cowpasture Rd to get to the northern side and around the hill. Which enters congested area.

syu

Postby syu » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:45 am

I've been in a bit of a winter hibernation and it seems I've missed some action.

I admittedly haven't been riding much in the last several weeks and when I have it hasn't been on the M7 path. A short holiday hasn't helped.

Went out to dust off the cob webs this morning in the nice sunshine and noticed the change at everyone's favourite flood gate :shock:

I'm not sure what happened there, but I guess it's been reinforced due to people cutting through the wire when it's flooded. But then I can't remember the last time it rained heavily and therefore flooded so it appears I have had a long absence from M7 riding :oops:

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:21 pm

Yeah they went maximum security on it.
Some brute bent it back with their bare hands the next night though and then they had to go to even more effort bending it back.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:06 pm

Jmuzz wrote:They will probably want to route via Cowpasture Rd right through to Horsley Drive because that has shared path for the route.
But its pretty sucky in comparison and will completely discourage most users.
Last time I rode along Cowpasture Road shared pathway it was littered with smashed glass. I've not ridden along there in a very long time, maybe five years.

I would just go back to riding around Camden, Picton, etc or go up around West Head.

So far, there doesn't seem to be much interest or care in any potential effects of the construction work on the cycleway, so I guess it's just us two worried about it. The majority obviously aren't worried.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:01 am

Nothing is scheduled until 2020 and then it's a long project up to 10 years.
M7 interchange may not be for a long time, no big rush since Elizabeth Drive ramps would be adequate for a partially completed road to nowhere prior to airport opening.

Just best to get it onto the agenda sooner rather than later so that a temporary path or early construction of the new path sections has a chance of happening.

The survey work is just a reminder that it's coming.
Though the survey may result in the location being declared too hard and relocating which makes routes impossible to guess yet.
They wanted it further south but the parklands refused. The Eliz interchange looks like a nightmare with the hills and Eliz to dodge. If they go 1km North it's much easier terrain but will have to acquire more land.