M7 Safety Alert Thread

biker jk

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby biker jk » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:28 pm

Magpie Alert! I was swooped twice but not attacked. It happened near the Eastern Creek Waste Management Centre, heading south. After the first swoop I stopped and turned around and the magpie flew to a tree branch around 30 metres away. When I started off again it swooped a second time. So it's not very aggressive. On the return leg I didn't see it at all.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:47 pm

biker jk wrote:Magpie Alert! I was swooped twice but not attacked. It happened near the Eastern Creek Waste Management Centre, heading south. After the first swoop I stopped and turned around and the magpie flew to a tree branch around 30 metres away. When I started off again it swooped a second time. So it's not very aggressive. On the return leg I didn't see it at all.
I recall someone asking about those on the M7... Wish they didn't ask. :shock: I hope no others are around.

broker

Postby broker » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:08 pm

biker jk wrote:Magpie Alert! I was swooped twice but not attacked. It happened near the Eastern Creek Waste Management Centre, heading south. After the first swoop I stopped and turned around and the magpie flew to a tree branch around 30 metres away. When I started off again it swooped a second time. So it's not very aggressive. On the return leg I didn't see it at all.
I've experienced this magpie in the past, usually feel his wings rubbing across my upper back. Quite tame in comparison to that bad guy at McGraths Hill!

Then again when your heading north bound at speed it's a little daunting when he swoops :shock:

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:38 pm

eon wrote: 1. Red/White/Blue -> OZPinoyRoadies which I actively ride with

If we can at least identify the group then we can try address.
Hi ehly,

Almost got run over by this bunch this morning. Using the whole path in a group of what looked like 15-20. I came out of a sweeping bend to be faced by a wall. Did mention to the bunch to keep left but seemed disinterested.

No dramas for me but others could find that a bit off putting.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:02 pm

This bird is getting more aggressive. I was attacked today at the same location. It pecked the back of my helmet. No damage to the helmet. My mate was riding just ahead of me and he wasn't touched by the magpie. Both times I was wearing a red helmet (my mate had a blue one) so perhaps the magpie is attracted by bright colours? Anyway, I will likely give the M7 a miss for a while.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:57 pm

I think they just go for the nearest target.

Get a nice pointy TT helmet and poke the bird with it.

I don't know if magpies are attracted by colours or not.

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:40 pm

biker jk wrote:
This bird is getting more aggressive. I was attacked today at the same location. It pecked the back of my helmet. No damage to the helmet. My mate was riding just ahead of me and he wasn't touched by the magpie. Both times I was wearing a red helmet (my mate had a blue one) so perhaps the magpie is attracted by bright colours? Anyway, I will likely give the M7 a miss for a while.
I met this bloke today, he swooped twice but was pretty tame. I was with my wife and got her to ride in front, so he only swooped me...Im pretty sure they go for the target at the back. This strategy has worked for the aggressive bugger on Cawdor Rd at the base of Razorback too:)

Cheers,

Phil.

zozza

Postby zozza » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:53 pm

He got me a couple of times today, :P

Dippo

Postby Dippo » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:22 pm

Made an attempt on me as well, took 3 light poles before he gave up. Awesome day for a ride.

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:26 pm

Roger Rabbit was out on 'Shut Up Legs' about 5.45 this morning. I think he is one of Greg C's henchmen, sent to guard his segment. He threw himself under my wheels about half way along and saved the KOM. Could only roll through for a 1.07 after the ambush:(

TimW

Postby TimW » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:59 pm

Greg buys him premium lettuce, to keep him onside :)

stickgc

Postby stickgc » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:51 pm

That's a very highly trained rabbit. Costs a fortune to keep in his good books :-P

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:08 pm

Hopefully he made it back to base...it was a pretty hard hit :cry: Can still feel him transitioning from front to rear via bottom bracket :shock: Maybe he will be back on duty as Robo Rabbit :D

stickgc

Postby stickgc » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:43 pm

Don't worry, there's a whole army of them on standby

TimW

Postby TimW » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:21 pm

Next big north west wind, the rabbit gets it!!!!!!!!

ab012

Postby ab012 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:31 pm

biker jk wrote:
Went for me today as well. Swooped at me going north once, and twice on the return leg (i was getting buggered so was slower so it got two tries... :oops:

(on top of this, on the way home another one went for me near the Greystanes Aqueduct - nice thing is it was getting late in the day so i could monitor exactly the moment it was going to get close by the shadow :o

broker

Postby broker » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:03 pm

Was absolutely hilarious as I was heading north today watching everyone get attacked by sir magpie, that was...

Until he got me!!! :roll:

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:24 pm

The magpie wasn't so tough with a few riders around when we went through...he sat there probably waiting for someone on their own!! Also a Brown Snake just after the first bridge on the climbs toward Eliz Drive....and Robo Rabbit must be in for repairs...he let his guard down today which allowed a solo zero wind assist 'Shut Up Legs' attack!! 1.03!!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:38 pm

Cossie Phil wrote:The magpie wasn't so tough with a few riders around when we went through...he sat there probably waiting for someone on their own!! Also a Brown Snake just after the first bridge on the climbs toward Eliz Drive....and Robo Rabbit must be in for repairs...he let his guard down today which allowed a solo zero wind assist 'Shut Up Legs' attack!! 1.03!!
Yuck - I ride through there a lot. I'll watch for the snake. This is going south isn't it?
Cossie Phil wrote:Robo Rabbit must be in for repairs...he let his guard down today which allowed a solo zero wind assist 'Shut Up Legs' attack!! 1.03!!
Don't know about Robo Rabbit, but 1.03 through there is awesome. :mrgreen: I can see your time on Strava.

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:56 pm

We were heading south, but if heading north, its just after the first foot bridge to the left across the M7. It was about 1.5m long. Its that time of year now...Magpie's, Rabbits, Snakes...their all in cahoots with each other!!

Cheers G, I haven't been riding the M7 as much as I have been known to in the past, 'Shut Up Legs' has lured me back!!

Spaniel

Postby Spaniel » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:23 pm

1st of Spring and a big brown snake just past the chook factory. It had a crack at the rider ahead who didn't see it even though I called out. Keep your eyes peeled folks.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:31 pm

ab012 wrote:
biker jk wrote:
Went for me today as well. Swooped at me going north once, and twice on the return leg (i was getting buggered so was slower so it got two tries... :oops:

(on top of this, on the way home another one went for me near the Greystanes Aqueduct - nice thing is it was getting late in the day so i could monitor exactly the moment it was going to get close by the shadow :o
That one near the Greystanes aqueduct is a big pest. It is very aggressive - hits the helmet and goes for the ear too too if given a chance. It was vicious last year. You can't outrun him either - he got me at over 50km/h three times. :oops:

If you see it - try and bribe it with food, for the better of us all.

zozza

Postby zozza » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:52 pm

Spotted on M7C
Take care folks

TimW

Postby TimW » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:55 pm

Sheesh Thats Spiz, he should be locked up lol :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

TimW

Postby TimW » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:05 pm

Keep a lookout for this guy as well, he is known to conceal weapons :):)