M7 Safety Alert Thread

Kev365428

M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby Kev365428 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:00 pm

All,

At the request of Ehly, I've created this sticky about the growing problem in the Dean Park area on the M7 cycleway.

Links to the two threads where injury, or potential injury have already occurred are here and here.

I've asked Ehly to post any updates on the incident he reported to the police on this thread. Of course, he is free to also post them in his original thread also if he wishes.

Any M7 cycleway user is urged to post any safety related incident in this thread, so that all users of the cycleway are made aware of any potential situation without having to troll through numerous threads. This includes acts of vandalism, deliberately set man-traps, or damage to the cycleway that poses a threat to users of this excellent facility.

******************** Incident Report Log ********************

Date: Time: Location: Nature of Incident

12-05-2009: 2200hrs: Dean Park: Wire across track
17-05-2009: 1630hrs: Dean Park: Branch across track
11-07-2009: 0610hrs: Richmond Rd Overpass: Duct tape across track
26-08-2009: UNK: Glendenning: Tree across track
09-09-2009: 0600-0615hrs: Eastern Rd Doonside: Wire across track
10-09-2009: 0910-0930hrs: Cowpasture Rd Hoxton Park: Wire across track

Kev.

Spiza

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby Spiza » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:05 pm

Great idea. Thanks guys.

brendancg

Postby brendancg » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:33 pm

Great idea, I will alert my mate to the thread so he can monitor as well as keep an eye out for reports.
Yesterday was an easy day.

Georgey

Postby Georgey » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:51 am

It's good to see that we care. This cycleway is the main reason why I started to ride again and I have meet a good bunch of people as well. (that includes you too Zozza :roll: )
It would be a damm shame to pass it on to these D:{K HEADS. I'll do what I can to help as this is a great cycleway.

George
Real men ride compacts

eon

Postby eon » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:05 pm

thanks Kev.. Will make sure I pass on any updates I get from M7 and the police.

Ride Safe ppl.

chickenlegs

Postby chickenlegs » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:52 pm

I love the M7 cycleway because of it's length and safety from cars and trucks.

I used to ride on the M7 shoulder but gave in to the sanctuary of the cycleway, so it's a shame to read of these inbred bogans setting traps. Now I have to choose between getting flattened by a truck or decapitated by wire.

Thanks to the folks on this forum for putting the warnings out there for the rest of us. I'll now keep an eye out for sus activity and report straight to Quakers Hill coppers.

Fluddman

Postby Fluddman » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:30 pm

Yeah - what a shame somebody is stuffing up a really nice stretch of cycleway. I must admit after reading about this I always look out for anything a bit sus - no matter where i ride.

I use to love flying under a low bridge - now I keep thinking that some idiot will have wired something to it.

What a shame but thanks for the warnings

brendancg

Postby brendancg » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:17 pm

I have a meeting with the M7 people next Wednesday 5th August to discuss safety on the cycle way. The M7 people are concerned by the incidents and want to do as much as they can to prevent any more incidents and hopefully catch the offenders.

Some of the things we will bring up will be;
1) a greater police presence (currently hampered by staffing issues)
2) Possibility of increased signage regarding police uniform and plain clothes patrols
3) Moveable cameras to cover the areas of concern.
4) Whether patrols by private security can reduce the incidents in the area
5) Increased reporting of incidents. Currently we have very little information in relation to the incidents timings and dates other than what few reports we have received from members of this forum. The M7 people generally do not report most incidents as the task would be onerus and as such the intelligence as to timings to target patrols is lacking.

If you have anything else you wish me to bring up with the management pm me by Tuesday night and I will take it to the meeting.

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:28 pm

A good idea would be to put up signs that there are regular patrols by police (perhaps indicating that they may be in plain clothes), followed up with actual patrols by police (perhaps the local bike cop squad could be persuaded to use it as a fitness/skills training area?) and with visible security cameras.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

danielt

Postby danielt » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:14 pm

brendancg wrote:I have a meeting with the M7 people next Wednesday 5th August to discuss safety on the cycle way. The M7 people are concerned by the incidents and want to do as much as they can to prevent any more incidents and hopefully catch the offenders.

Some of the things we will bring up will be;
1) a greater police presence (currently hampered by staffing issues)
2) Possibility of increased signage regarding police uniform and plain clothes patrols
3) Moveable cameras to cover the areas of concern.
4) Whether patrols by private security can reduce the incidents in the area
5) Increased reporting of incidents. Currently we have very little information in relation to the incidents timings and dates other than what few reports we have received from members of this forum. The M7 people generally do not report most incidents as the task would be onerus and as such the intelligence as to timings to target patrols is lacking.

If you have anything else you wish me to bring up with the management pm me by Tuesday night and I will take it to the meeting.
Great stuff Brendan! Please let us know the meeting's outcome! Will be interested what are the safety measures they will put in. I hope these criminals get tracked and locked up, just don't understand how their mind works to have the intention to injure (quite seriously too!) innocent people. Just hope media also won't bring this up as this will just 'motivate' them or encourage copycats!

brendancg

Postby brendancg » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:18 pm

Results;
The M7 people are as concerned about the incidents as we all are. The points I raised on the forum were put to them and they were very receptive. They are going to take that away and get back to us shortly with a response.

The police have three new bike operatives being trained this month for the area. That will result in a bigger pool of people to use for the patrols on the cycleway. Further increased trail bike operators will be used to patrol the cycle way. The problem we have is that a lot of incidents that occur on the cycleway are not reported to police and as such there is little intelligence as to the times and days to specifically target. So for the next couple of months police will be on the cycleway at various times trying to gain some intelligence to specifically target the offenders.

In relation to specifics about offenders for the wire trapping and duct tape, they have requested that I do not release the response to this at this time and I will do that. As soon as I have some news I will report back to all.

I will request that all persons, if unfortunate enough to be involved in any incidents on the cycle way, or if you see anything that can help catch the culprits then PM me, report it to the police or put something up on this page and I will use it to formulate the response.

eon

Postby eon » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:12 pm

Thanks for the info Brendan. Good to hear that authorities are doing something about it..
Hopefully actions to be taken will result in catching these people or atleast prevent people setting up more traps.

Keep us posted.. :D

danielt

Postby danielt » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:02 pm

Thanks for the update Brendan! It is encouraging to hear they are keen on the issue on hand. These people need to be flushed out.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:43 pm

A bike rider apparently had a serious stack whilst on the track when Cities Marathon was on...and still closed to cyclists and general public.

He allegedly ignored marshals (SES) and came over the bridge at Woodstock Rd, hit the exposed stump of the bollard that had been removed (for supply and tailing vehicles) and broke collarbone amongst other injuries.

This happenned at about 11:45 am, i.e. 4:45 into race at about 39.5km ..so he would have passed some runners still on track, and the track was officially closed until 12:30pm. (last runner finished about 12:45pm)

Word from informed sources is that he is in correspondence with Westlink M7 re compensation for injuries/damages.
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

leximack

Postby leximack » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:58 pm

JV911 wrote:A bike rider apparently had a serious stack whilst on the track when Cities Marathon was on...and still closed to cyclists and general public.

He allegedly ignored marshals (SES) and came over the bridge at Woodstock Rd, hit the exposed stump of the bollard that had been removed (for supply and tailing vehicles) and broke collarbone amongst other injuries.

This happenned at about 11:45 am, i.e. 4:45 into race at about 39.5km ..so he would have passed some runners still on track, and the track was officially closed until 12:30pm. (last runner finished about 12:45pm)

Word from informed sources is that he is in correspondence with Westlink M7 re compensation for injuries/damages.
what a w@anker, he disobeyed the marshals, rode on a closed course, gets injured, then sues the M7.
I cant believe some people :x

leximack

Postby leximack » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:59 pm

thanks for the update Brendan.
Good to see they are working on some solutions

Rorsch67

Postby Rorsch67 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:48 am

Tree felled and left lying on North/East heading lane at the Glendenning Exit (between Richmond Road and Lamb Street).

On my commute home from Baulkham Hills passed the small 2-2.5 m tree felled across the right hand lane, being fairly new to riding in Sydney 20years since I was last on a bicycle and riding since last Sept 2008, and seeing the broken glass organised into a neat single line across the M7 bike path and now a tree felling, I am shocked at the malicious nature of these attacks on the cyclist community.

I stopped and dragged the tree back onto the nature strip and noted it hasn't been moved since- maybe just a tool playing with a new toy, had no other use for his new chainsaw? but he bought one anyway.

stated

Postby stated » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:47 pm

Beware of motorised bikes(mountain bike type) in the underpass areas, today at midday one entered the underpass about 300m west of Quakers Rd heading west, he was doing around 30~35kph and entered completely on the wrong side cutting the lanes, it was lucky that I was 20m away when he did that. Should we be pulling over to the grass when we hear an engine coming from now on every time we are about to take sharp bends? :evil:

brendancg

Postby brendancg » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:31 pm

Quakers Rd is becoming a problem for us. However, if it was a motorised bicycle primarily propelled by pedalling power, it qualifies as a bicycle and it is allowed. However, he should stay to the correct side of the path. Thanks for the heads up.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:16 pm

brendancg wrote:Quakers Rd is becoming a problem for us. However, if it was a motorised bicycle primarily propelled by pedalling power, it qualifies as a bicycle and it is allowed. However, he should stay to the correct side of the path. Thanks for the heads up.
If he's doing 30 to 35 kph, and not pedalling at the time, wouldn't that be a prima-facie case that the motor exceeded 200W, and hence is illegal under current aus (and nsw) road rules ?

I see blokes riding similar motorised bikes around the eastern creek section of the M7 quite often, they usually don't wear helmets or any other safety related gear, and they don't pedal their "bicycles" at all. Even look like decent law-abiding citizens. Know you're pretty fast on your bike brendan, but I suspect you'd need a trail-bike and 4 wheeled backups to catch these guys.

Fed dept of transport has proposals to change road rules to require speed limiting of power-assisted bicycles - to 25 kph - plus automatically cutting out engine when not pedalling. Can't come soon enough for me.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

brendancg

Postby brendancg » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:32 pm

I am working on the bike on Saturday Afternoon. I will keep an eye out. Thanks for the heads up. I am assuming that the bike in question is a MTB with a motor attached? This is what I base my comment on. Whilst I am aware that they very rarely require the rider to pedal, they still however qualify as a bicycle. However, as such they are required to wear a helmet. More than one way to skin a cat.

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:01 am

wombatK wrote:Fed dept of transport has proposals to change road rules to require speed limiting of power-assisted bicycles - to 25 kph - plus automatically cutting out engine when not pedalling. Can't come soon enough for me.
+1 from me
Although I'd like to see the upper limit changed to 30kph, I'd be quite happy for these new laws to take effect and people to start getting booked.

I remember watching "The New Inventors" and one had brought along a power-assisted bicycle where it detected how much force you were putting into the drive train and it then automatically provided an appropriate amount of power-assist. THAT would be a very handy bicycle. I don't know if it incorporated regenerative braking, but if it did, it would be the perfect machine for a lot of people.

webman

Postby webman » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:57 am

hartleymartin wrote:
wombatK wrote:Fed dept of transport has proposals to change road rules to require speed limiting of power-assisted bicycles - to 25 kph - plus automatically cutting out engine when not pedalling. Can't come soon enough for me.
+1 from me
Although I'd like to see the upper limit changed to 30kph, I'd be quite happy for these new laws to take effect and people to start getting booked.
I don't see why a power assisted bicycle should be limited to less than what can be commonly achieved on a non power assisted bicycle! We don't set a different speed limit for other vehicles, or are you suggesting all cyclists doing over 25 (or 30) should be booked? I can just imagine the indignation if that was ever proposed..

Also, is it safer for cyclists to do a max speed of 30 in a 50/60/70 road, or safer for them to do 50 in those same zones?
I remember watching "The New Inventors" and one had brought along a power-assisted bicycle where it detected how much force you were putting into the drive train and it then automatically provided an appropriate amount of power-assist. THAT would be a very handy bicycle. I don't know if it incorporated regenerative braking, but if it did, it would be the perfect machine for a lot of people.
This I think would be much better, if we could have a law that says the motor is only permitted to amplify the effort to a ratio of X. Thus, people putting in a decent effort can get a decent speed boost, but they can't just use them like a motorbike.

PS, I have to admit I am a electric bike user, but I do believe that I put a decent effort into pedalling all of the time. The only thing that annoys me is that sometimes I can't apply enough effort due to the limited gearing/wheel size.

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:38 am

The upper limit refers to when the electric motor must cut-out, not a forced limitation on speed.

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:01 am

[Mod hat on]

Forumites,

Whilst a discussion on electric bikes/scooters is an interesting topic, it does not belong in this thread. There are numerous threads that do discuss the issue of these bikes elsewhere on the forum.

Please try to restrict posts to the topic at hand.

Thanks,

Kev
[/mod hat off]