M7 Safety Alert Thread

peter

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby peter » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:06 pm

North gate (they want you to divert to Bernera Road), there's a makeshift passage, went through it but did not make it any larger :lol:

Last edited by peter on Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:57 pm

^^ Please check the preview button to see if it works before submitting it. Again no pic yet.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:18 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:^^ Please check the preview button to see if it works before submitting it. Again no pic yet.
Works for me as did the earlier picture.

Warin

Postby Warin » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:49 pm

biker jk wrote:
Bunged Knee wrote:^^ Please check the preview button to see if it works before submitting it. Again no pic yet.
But not for me. Probably some privacy/login to what ever web site the image is on.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:21 pm

Warin wrote:
biker jk wrote:
But not for me. Probably some privacy/login to what ever web site the image is on.
Strangely, while I can see the photos on my PC I can't on my smart phone.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:43 pm

biker jk wrote:
Warin wrote:
Strangely, while I can see the photos on my PC I can't on my smart phone.

Peter had fixed the 1st one but he uploaded another 2 more blank pics again without checking it out.

I tried to copy the link in Peter`s "quotes" and input it, then it had asked me to log in Google but no pic in my PC or phone.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

peter

Postby peter » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:23 pm

Very strange, I actually tested it in incognito browsing and the images load fine. Will look into that.

Possibly the link is session sensitive and expires after awhile.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:42 pm

Peter,
Why not try to use the info that I`ve posted in the "How to post images" forum. No need to log in and just copy and paste it in without using the "Img" or "URL" boxes above.

peter

Postby peter » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:26 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:Peter,
Why not try to use the info that I`ve posted in the "How to post images" forum. No need to log in and just copy and paste it in without using the "Img" or "URL" boxes above.
Thanks for the tip. It was purely out of convenience, since I already have a google account and the app is on the phone and upload is easy.

I guest google doesn't want to turn their photo sharing into photo hosting, hence making things difficult, but not impossible.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:43 pm

peter wrote:
Bunged Knee wrote:Peter,
Thanks for the tip. It was purely out of convenience, since I already have a google account and the app is on the phone and upload is easy.

I guest google doesn't want to turn their photo sharing into photo hosting, hence making things difficult, but not impossible.
No probs,Peter.

I do have google account too but I don't post it here.
I see that you've fixed it and I do see your pics after you've edited it.
All's good now. :D

NOVISCOTT

Postby NOVISCOTT » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:52 pm

I just want to make a quick remark to other riders to remember to show a little care on what is a shared path and not a racetrack. I was nearly cleaned up yesterday evening by a group of cyclists (all matching colours and based on strava segment times I can speculate as to which cycling club they hail from, but I won't). The sharp turn westbound just before the drop under Quakers Rd is not a spot to be screaming down the hill as fast as you can, cutting corners.

Not one could even manage a "sorry mate" or even the slightest acknowledgement when I had to virtually stop dead to let them pass..

I doubt anybody really expects anyone to stick to 30km/h along the length of it, but there are certain areas where a higher degree of care should be exercised.

syu

Postby syu » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:49 pm

NOVISCOTT wrote:I was nearly cleaned up yesterday evening by a group of cyclists (all matching colours and based on strava segment times I can speculate as to which cycling club they hail from, but I won't). The sharp turn westbound just before the drop under Quakers Rd is not a spot to be screaming down the hill as fast as you can, cutting corners.
I'm not sure if I can place the spot your talking about off the top of my head but regardless, sounds dangerous. I'm not saying name and shame, but if you know the club I'd prefer if you said so, I'd rather know for my own safety who to give a wide birth to if they don't respect other users/riders.

Also if you feel strongly enough about it I'm sure the club itself is easily contactable and you could email them with the details and politely request as a club they should give other riders respect and adequate room because the opposite reflects poorly on them.

I forgot to mention last time I was out riding there was a proverbial shed load of broken vehicle window glass on the path right near the exit that leads to the entrance of the Equestrian Centre, looked like the stuff that's designed to shatter in small pieces. I'm not sure how it ended up in that spot unless a vehicle crashed in to the concrete barriers and the impact showered the glass over the barrier onto the path.

NOVISCOTT

Postby NOVISCOTT » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:21 pm

syu wrote: but if you know the club I'd prefer if you said so,
I can't swear hand on heart it was this club, just that there were 2 Strava times for the day were from the same club, at around the same time of the evening. The riders have their club initials in their Strava user names. It's a club that's pretty prevalent on the M7 and this general area.

That's why I'm refraining from naming. I'm pretty sure, but not 100%. So I'd rather my comment just be taken as a general reminder for all, not specific blaming.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:22 pm

syu wrote:
NOVISCOTT wrote:I forgot to mention last time I was out riding there was a proverbial shed load of broken vehicle window glass on the path right near the exit that leads to the entrance of the Equestrian Centre, looked like the stuff that's designed to shatter in small pieces. I'm not sure how it ended up in that spot unless a vehicle crashed in to the concrete barriers and the impact showered the glass over the barrier onto the path.
Thanks for the warning about the glass.
syu wrote:I'm not sure if I can place the spot your talking about off the top of my head
I think this is probably heading south on the M7, the downhill right corner that goes underneath Quakers Road (and if you go straight ahead along the exit, you go off onto Quakers Road). Never had any dramas around that turn. I've heard there are some fast groups on the M7 on week nights, but I've never seen them. I don't get any chance to ride on the week days anyhow. :roll:

syu

Postby syu » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:15 pm

NOVISCOTT wrote:
That's why I'm refraining from naming. I'm pretty sure, but not 100%.
Fair enough, a reading non comprehension on my part though. I thought you wrote you recognised them based on club colours and strava but re-reading what you wrote you knew they were a club and not which club based on matching colours and stava.

So I'd rather my comment just be taken as a general reminder for all
Always a good idea.
g-boaf wrote: Thanks for the warning about the glass.
The glass is still there but it's been parted like the red sea and there's much less of it, probably because 100s of cyclists have ridden over it and twice as many tyres have picked it up.

Jawa

Postby Jawa » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:52 am

syu wrote:
NOVISCOTT wrote:
That's why I'm refraining from naming. I'm pretty sure, but not 100%.
Fair enough, a reading non comprehension on my part though. I thought you wrote you recognised them based on club colours and strava but re-reading what you wrote you knew they were a club and not which club based on matching colours and stava.
Your club experiences may be different to mine however im happy to call a spade a spade ... NWSCC

- Using the equestrian centre stretch as a team TT
- 3 abreast heading south over the Hoxton Park Rd bridge
- Cutting the apex through the essess near the Blacktown Sports Park

All amongst other poor encounter experiences from a club that should know better

From their website;
Our Values. Promote interest and encourage safe participation in cycling for everyone.
Im not saying however ive always been peter perfect, though they must understand once they put on the jersey and behave inappropriately others will tar the club with the same brush

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:41 pm

There are loads of people who go quickly along the Equestrian centre section, hardly just that lot. Get some rider with a big engine hammering along there, or a triathlete on their TT bike tucked down and going along like a rocket.

It's a pretty safe section however - good visibility, quite wide. I only do about 32-34km/h along there (going south) and north, I just soft pedal.

The S-curve near there does have a 15km/h speed limit on it now, I didn't notice that before.

I've never seen much of that club for a long time though. Maybe one rider on their own, but the bigger bunches that I used to see some years ago were pretty well organised. Perhaps I'm just riding on the M7 at different times.

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:55 am

The cycleway is closed again between Prestons and Benera Av due to flooding.

Someone has made an attempt to block the hole in the fence pictured above, but with little effect. I just decided to take the shoulder and avoid the hassle.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:14 am

Kev365428 wrote:The cycleway is closed again between Prestons and Benera Av due to flooding.

Someone has made an attempt to block the hole in the fence pictured above, but with little effect. I just decided to take the shoulder and avoid the hassle.
We did the same yesterday. Brenera Road is pretty busy at 6:20pm in the evening.

syu

Postby syu » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:50 pm

It was closed on Saturday evening following the afternoon downpour. First time I remember it being closed on a weekend. I was a bit surprised to get the email at 9:35pm.

Every time it rains and once the path dries out there remains a torrent of water on the down hill heading south just after Elizabeth Drive. Inexplicably it's dry every where else but that one part, maybe one to two feet wide, is wet. There isn't a depression holding water and gravity doesn't seem to have an effect. To be completely honest, I think it should be fenced off when wet. /s

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:12 am

syu wrote:It was closed on Saturday evening following the afternoon downpour. First time I remember it being closed on a weekend. I was a bit surprised to get the email at 9:35pm.

Every time it rains and once the path dries out there remains a torrent of water on the down hill heading south just after Elizabeth Drive. Inexplicably it's dry every where else but that one part, maybe one to two feet wide, is wet. There isn't a depression holding water and gravity doesn't seem to have an effect. To be completely honest, I think it should be fenced off when wet. /s
Yeah, that's why I just opt for the motorway.
Safest ride in Sydney IMHO.

Kev.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:40 pm

Kev365428 wrote: Yeah, that's why I just opt for the motorway.
Safest ride in Sydney IMHO.

Kev.
Except for the stretch from around Quakers Hill to Horsley Park, always littered with rocks and stuff on the side.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:49 pm

A pigeon got stuck between the perspex sheet and the weldmesh in front of it on top of a soundbarrier this morning just a bit north of Rooty Hill. The fire brigade were looking up at it when I rode passed trying to think of the best way to free the feathered clot. Hopefully they got it out unharmed.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

fishwop

Postby fishwop » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:57 pm

Amazed at how many riders are completely without lights after dark this evening on the cycleway. They are a bit hard to see too. The cops would have a field day.

syu

Postby syu » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:31 pm

Lights weigh tens of grams and don't look pro.