M7 Safety Alert Thread

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 9997
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby g-boaf » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:35 pm

syu wrote:Lights weigh tens of grams and don't look pro.


Nice try, but that's a miss. It's usually the teenagers on their mountain bikes or BMXs that ride along at night with no lights. Though I've also seen on another cycleway some older guy get really annoyed at someone for having front lights on a bike, while this grumpy old guy was riding along in the dark with no lights at all. :roll:

Everyone else I see on the M7 at night has lights on their bikes, and they are all on road bikes. And I am riding on there a lot of times now at night, so I do notice.

fishwop
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:20 pm
Location: St Marys NSW

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby fishwop » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:43 am

syu wrote:Lights weigh tens of grams and don't look pro.

I guess that explains the ubiquitous gel wrappers strewn along the cycleway. They must weigh at least a gram each.

syu
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:20 pm

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby syu » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:50 pm

fishwop wrote:I guess that explains the ubiquitous gel wrappers strewn along the cycleway. They must weigh at least a gram each.


Ah, a man after my own heart.

g-boaf wrote:Nice try


I know, I know, my comment was like 3 years old. What I should have said was there's no room on the aerofoil topped carbon bars or kamm-tail seat post to strap on a light. Still don't seem pro though.

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 9997
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby g-boaf » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:55 pm

fishwop wrote:
syu wrote:Lights weigh tens of grams and don't look pro.

I guess that explains the ubiquitous gel wrappers strewn along the cycleway. They must weigh at least a gram each.


Yuck... Those things are usually awful...

User avatar
xavdav
Posts: 235
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:37 pm
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby xavdav » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:00 am

I am ok g-boaf,just battered and bruised. Still in observation in Liverpool hospital as I had a bit of bleeding in the brain. Thanks to the guys that stopped to assist me. One of them has my bike since I lost conscienssness.his name is Peter and I would like to talk to him as n order to recover the bike. If anybody knows him, let him know please.
Image

User avatar
find_bruce
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8011
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby find_bruce » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:28 am

xavdav wrote:I am ok g-boaf,just battered and bruised. Still in observation in Liverpool hospital as I had a bit of bleeding in the brain. Thanks to the guys that stopped to assist me. One of them has my bike since I lost conscienssness.his name is Peter and I would like to talk to him as n order to recover the bike. If anybody knows him, let him know please.
Glad to hear you are doing ok xavdav, sounds like a nasty fall.

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 9997
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby g-boaf » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:57 am

xavdav wrote:I am ok g-boaf,just battered and bruised. Still in observation in Liverpool hospital as I had a bit of bleeding in the brain. Thanks to the guys that stopped to assist me. One of them has my bike since I lost conscienssness.his name is Peter and I would like to talk to him as n order to recover the bike. If anybody knows him, let him know please.


That's good to know you are alright, when I came past and saw you I was pretty worried. I think the Marconi group might know who has your bike, they were talking to the other guys that were with you. I don't always see them but they are usually always down at Prestons around 7:00am-ish.

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 9997
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:26 pm

That nasty sharp bump on the south side of Cowpasture Rd bridge has been fixed recently.

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 9997
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:30 pm

Take care on the bridge over the M4, north side where there is a rather large drop (if you are going quickly). One poor guy went down today there.

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 9997
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:11 pm

There was a serious accident tonight on the M7 cycleway down near the southern-most of the S-curves near Brenera Road.

A lady out riding tonight was hit head-on by one of a group of motorbike/trail bike riders apparently on the wrong side of a curve. They then failed to stop. The rider seemed okay considering the accident, but her bike was a complete wreck with some of the most severe damage I've seen.

So be super careful on there.

craigus74
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby craigus74 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:48 pm

g-boaf wrote:There was a serious accident tonight on the M7 cycleway down near the southern-most of the S-curves near Brenera Road.

A lady out riding tonight was hit head-on by one of a group of motorbike/trail bike riders apparently on the wrong side of a curve. They then failed to stop. The rider seemed okay considering the accident, but her bike was a complete wreck with some of the most severe damage I've seen.

So be super careful on there.


First time here, and a regular runner/sometimes rider on the m7 cycleway.
I was at Ash Rd athletics field for some running training and was terrorised by these 2 clowns. Took some video, called police. Bikes took off at speed along cycleway. Police eventually attended and told me that these 2 caused an accident. Video footage of the bikes was given to the police.

Thoughts are with the rider - hope she wasnt too badly injured.

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 9997
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:26 pm

Some guy lit a fire in the bushland just south of the bridge over Cowpasture Road. :x What on earth was he thinking. By the time we went back the RFS had fortunately extinguished it. With the gusty conditions today that could have taken off.

craigus74 wrote:Thoughts are with the rider - hope she wasnt too badly injured.


Thanks for getting the video footage, and apparently she is doing better. We did see a trailbike rider tonight in full face helmet (looked a bit older) come across the bridge over the M7 motorway at the top of Elizabeth Drive and then go hooning off down the cycleway headed south... Made me wonder.

fishwop
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:20 pm
Location: St Marys NSW

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby fishwop » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:51 am

A section of lights out about 1km north of Elizabeth Drive, about 300 metres or so long, right at the top of a climb in either direction. It's absolutely pitch black so be careful if you are riding at night without lights.

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 9997
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby g-boaf » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:14 am

The M7 people have done a lot of resurfacing of the track around Eastern Creek especially in the vicinity of the bridge over the M4 motorway. Excellent!

Jmuzz
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:42 pm

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby Jmuzz » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:49 am

Preston's end has-been locked all week and will be for the weekend at this rate.

Jmuzz
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:42 pm

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby Jmuzz » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:39 am

Closed all week again due to this very deadly puddle.
The hole the puddle crocodile chewed to escape the enclosure has been patched this morning.

Image

Jmuzz
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:42 pm

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby Jmuzz » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:43 am

Lights on Cowpasture Rd bridge have been out over a week.
It's quite dangerous for those who rely on the streetlights because sticks are common. The road lighting under the bridge kills vision of the dark path surface.

Hergest
Posts: 1180
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:05 pm
Location: Guildford West, NSW

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby Hergest » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:23 am

Jmuzz wrote:Lights on Cowpasture Rd bridge have been out over a week.
It's quite dangerous for those who rely on the streetlights because sticks are common. The road lighting under the bridge kills vision of the dark path surface.


Have you contacted the M7 through their website? They are usually really quick to sort out the lighting failures but they need to be informed as there are no staff driving on the path in the hours of darkness who would notice the problem.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 9997
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby g-boaf » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:35 pm

Jmuzz wrote:Lights on Cowpasture Rd bridge have been out over a week.
It's quite dangerous for those who rely on the streetlights because sticks are common. The road lighting under the bridge kills vision of the dark path surface.


Always have your own lights - never rely on the M7 lights, they are sometimes unreliable.

Jmuzz
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:42 pm

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby Jmuzz » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:59 pm

Wasn't sure they look, site seems to have made contact and alert emails more obvious since I last looked (or just missed previously) so sent them one now.

I have lights, but plenty aren't adequately prepared.

Does anyone know the history of campaigning for better handling of the flood closure?
They close it as soon as there is any rain, and then leave it the whole week even when the puddle at most covers half the path (everyone knows, they still see it and shake head at rediculousness).
Last time there was just 1 ft wide puddle, I saw the cleanup truck there with feet up in the morning they opened it, there was nothing to clean and the thin dirt stain hadn't changed in the afternoon.

They are putting heaps of effort into the cat and mouse game with the gate chewing puddle crocodile and it's all just for nothing. The puddle is far safer than the street detour.

A low 1m high gate at the puddle would be more sensible. If people climb over and slip in a puddle then they climbed over and it's their own fault isn't it.

robbo mcs
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:25 pm

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby robbo mcs » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:33 pm

Better than posting on the website, ring the M7 control office directly and report the problem. You get to speak to a human, and you know the message has got through. Tell them how dangerous it is. They do listen and respond.

number is 98349261

keep that number on your phone. If there is ever an accident that needs emergency services etc, it is very helpful as they can coordinate and facilitate access etc

User avatar
biker jk
Posts: 6240
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby biker jk » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:37 pm

robbo mcs wrote:Better than posting on the website, ring the M7 control office directly and report the problem. You get to speak to a human, and you know the message has got through. Tell them how dangerous it is. They do listen and respond.

number is 98349261

keep that number on your phone. If there is ever an accident that needs emergency services etc, it is very helpful as they can coordinate and facilitate access etc


But they won't provide access keys to the local ambulance service.

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 9997
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby g-boaf » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:02 pm

Jmuzz wrote:They are putting heaps of effort into the cat and mouse game with the gate chewing puddle crocodile and it's all just for nothing. The puddle is far safer than the street detour.

A low 1m high gate at the puddle would be more sensible. If people climb over and slip in a puddle then they climbed over and it's their own fault isn't it.


I've argued it before, but obviously sharing the road with trucks doing 60-70km/h is far safer than riding through what is sometimes just a puddle.

zebee
Posts: 447
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:37 am

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby zebee » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:50 am

Interesting question... how do they tell when it is a dangerous flood and when is it just a puddle riders can be expected to cope with?

If you were asked to give the M7 people guidelines as to what constituted a dangerous situation of water over road, what would they be? Remember this is not the sort of confident cyclist who contributes to BNA, it is say my mother on her electric adult trike who hates to do more than 10kmh and is scared of inclines cos the trike tips, it is a mother who has just started riding (first time since school) with kids in trailer or in child seat. It is a non-confident not very skilled person with minimal or no lights who is expecting a safe ride cos this is an offoad path.

Your guidelines have to be applied by the non-cyclist maintenance staff who have to be confident to give a go/nogo call and be able to back it up if someone does get hurt. So as much as possible needs to be objective and measurable.

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 9997
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby g-boaf » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:34 am

zebee wrote:Interesting question... how do they tell when it is a dangerous flood and when is it just a puddle riders can be expected to cope with?

If you were asked to give the M7 people guidelines as to what constituted a dangerous situation of water over road, what would they be? Remember this is not the sort of confident cyclist who contributes to BNA, it is say my mother on her electric adult trike who hates to do more than 10kmh and is scared of inclines cos the trike tips, it is a mother who has just started riding (first time since school) with kids in trailer or in child seat. It is a non-confident not very skilled person with minimal or no lights who is expecting a safe ride cos this is an offoad path.

Your guidelines have to be applied by the non-cyclist maintenance staff who have to be confident to give a go/nogo call and be able to back it up if someone does get hurt. So as much as possible needs to be objective and measurable.


Just leave it open, put warning signs up about it and leave it up to the riders. Even not very confident riders should be able to get through there, it is not a incline, and the water every time I've been through there isn't very deep. I just go through at about 6km/h to avoid spraying the water up everywhere.

if you aren't confident, then you'd be even less likely to mix it with heavy trucks and car drivers on Brenera Road.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users