M7 Safety Alert Thread

MoeJoe

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby MoeJoe » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:09 pm

You don't want to look out of the window now if you are planning on an M7 ride home

Only a little bit of lightning. One situation where a CF frame has an advantage over steel or alloy :|

glowe

Postby glowe » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:17 pm

gururug wrote:There was a narrow gap in one of thos panhole thingies heading north before rooty hill station overbridge. Not sure if it's been filled or not.
Hey everyone

If the panhole in question is the one near the bridge over the railway lines - the one which has three square metal plates in a diagonal - this has been repaired. I still don't ride over it out of habit.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:06 pm

Causeway down past Miller/Liverpool, closer to Prestons was flooded this morning. :roll: And a few of the S curves below the M7 were very slippery.

Good ride though. Didn't see many other cyclists out and about.. All these fair-weather people! :D :P

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:11 pm

g-boaf wrote:Causeway down past Miller/Liverpool, closer to Prestons was flooded this morning. :roll: And a few of the S curves below the M7 were very slippery.

Good ride though. Didn't see many other cyclists out and about.. All these fair-weather people! :D :P
I led a ride with eight cyclists (was going to ride no matter what the weather!). We had two punctures in our group and I counted half a dozen other cyclists on the M7 path with punctures. Must have been the wet surface.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:21 pm

biker jk wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Causeway down past Miller/Liverpool, closer to Prestons was flooded this morning. :roll: And a few of the S curves below the M7 were very slippery.

I led a ride with eight cyclists (was going to ride no matter what the weather!). We had two punctures in our group and I counted half a dozen other cyclists on the M7 path with punctures. Must have been the wet surface.
I probably saw you lot. I did see a group of around that number heading back towards Horsley Drive from Prestons direction.

I also wanted to get out - feeling bad not being on the bike for a long time so I'm making up for lost time. I didn't get any punctures - thank God. But I was really watching closely what was ahead and weaving around anything dodgy.

It was a wild old day with some hairy wind gusts and a nasty headwind on the way out there and some miserable rain showers on the way back. And then my glasses decided to fog up! :lol: And when I was close to home by about a kilometre - it poured down! :wink: Mother Nature was trying her best today. She didn't win. ;)

TimW

Postby TimW » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:02 pm

Heads up for this weekend,Saturday. Ride for refugees is on, which will affect the regulars. Starts at 7am is and finishes at 3pm according to the website.
https://rideforrefugees.com.au/sydney-2/#.UWY1aVeOB-Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Glendenning to Horsley park equestrian is the affected area.

zozza

Postby zozza » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:04 pm

TimW wrote:Heads up... Ride for refugees is on, which will affect the regulars.

I didn't lose any KOMs yesterday, so yeah...... :mrgreen: :P

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon May 06, 2013 7:37 pm

Take care around the northern end of the Horsely Drive underpass section. The edge of the road overpass has an almighty wasp nest hanging from it.

There are lots of wasps flying around it and the surrounding area. :!:

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue May 07, 2013 3:23 pm

g-boaf wrote:Take care around the northern end of the Horsely Drive underpass section. The edge of the road overpass has an almighty wasp nest hanging from it.

Thanks. I looked out for them but didn't see any today.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat May 11, 2013 12:47 pm

biker jk wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Take care around the northern end of the Horsely Drive underpass section. The edge of the road overpass has an almighty wasp nest hanging from it.

Thanks. I looked out for them but didn't see any today.
Yeah, it is gone - I looked today and it wasn't there. The M7 maintenance people must have had them removed. Thank you to whoever got rid of it.

mo_danishh

Postby mo_danishh » Tue May 14, 2013 10:59 pm

Man-trap found on 14th May at 7:13pm on M7 between Richmond Rd and Lamb St. Bunch of around 5 guys were hiding on the side with a video cam and they had setup a transparent plastic sheet at chest height. I haven't reported this incident to anyone or anywhere else.

stickgc

Postby stickgc » Wed May 15, 2013 1:27 am

Let the M7 people know about it ASAP. In my experience they've always responded well to these reports.

Also tell the police about it. I think it's Mount Druitt station that looks after that area?

Cheers,
Greg

eon

Postby eon » Wed May 15, 2013 9:31 am

stickgc wrote:Let the M7 people know about it ASAP. In my experience they've always responded well to these reports.

Also tell the police about it. I think it's Mount Druitt station that looks after that area?

Cheers,
Greg
+1 report to the police ASAP. i thought this sh1111t is done n dusted.

MREJ

Postby MREJ » Wed May 15, 2013 7:29 pm

Must be reported to the police, for the sake of all the riders.

Did you interact with them?
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat May 18, 2013 10:07 pm

mo_danishh wrote:Man-trap found on 14th May at 7:13pm on M7 between Richmond Rd and Lamb St. Bunch of around 5 guys were hiding on the side with a video cam and they had setup a transparent plastic sheet at chest height. I haven't reported this incident to anyone or anywhere else.
Damn. :shock: make sure it is reported to Police.

And also to others - don't leave your punctured tyre tubes behind either - they use them to set up traps as well.

Bazza76d

Postby Bazza76d » Mon May 20, 2013 8:53 pm

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right place for my rant, apologies if not.

I normally ride the m7 Saturday mornings and when I do I seem to encounter a massive group who seem to start or at least congregate at the bollards at Prestons. From my research I believe the majority are of Filipino decent. I appreciate it is probably the minority but some of these cyclists are the most ignorant and plain dangerous I have come across. They stand across the path, they don't seem to care when a cyclist is coming past, they walk in front of you, you call out to tell them you are coming and they continue. Even more dangerous is when they are riding in there groups of 40-50. I have seen them attempting to cycle up the hills towards Elizabeth dr, they are on the wrong side of the path not even looking, one guy I was following had to scream at them just to have them move to the correct side of the line.

This is pathetic and totally dangerous and I for one have had enough. If any one reading this rides with this group can you please speak to your riders because someone is going to be seriously hurt if not killed by this most dangerous and ignorant behaviour. Something needs to be done before the s#%t hits the fan.

Whilst I'm on it, the m7 is not suitable for large groups, break it up its much safer for all concerned and please stay on your side of the line, that's the left side by the way.

Apologies but I have had enough. Safe riding to all.

Baz
2012 S-Works Venge
2011 Fondriest R10

leximack

Postby leximack » Mon May 20, 2013 9:19 pm

Bazza76d wrote:Hi guys,

I normally ride the m7 Saturday mornings and when I do I seem to encounter a massive group who seem to start or at least congregate at the bollards at Prestons. From my research I believe the majority are of Filipino decent. I appreciate it is probably the minority but some of these cyclists are the most ignorant and plain dangerous I have come across. They stand across the path, they don't seem to care when a cyclist is coming past, they walk in front of you, you call out to tell them you are coming and they continue. Even more dangerous is when they are riding in there groups of 40-50. I have seen them attempting to cycle up the hills towards Elizabeth dr, they are on the wrong side of the path not even looking, one guy I was following had to scream at them just to have them move to the correct side of the line.

This is pathetic and totally dangerous and I for one have had enough. If any one reading this rides with this group can you please speak to your riders because someone is going to be seriously hurt if not killed by this most dangerous and ignorant behaviour. Something needs to be done before the s#%t hits the fan.

Whilst I'm on it, the m7 is not suitable for large groups, break it up its much safer for all concerned and please stay on your side of the line, that's the left side by the way.

Baz
hey Baz, think you need a snickers mate :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdIX1b8uBI0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i dont ride the cycleway on sat or sun mornings so havent seen these huge groups first hand but have heard some stories of there hugeness and riding style. there are a few members on here that ride with them, hopefully they will read this and pass on your concerns
Last edited by leximack on Mon May 20, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon May 20, 2013 9:20 pm

Baz
They are a known hazard on weekends. Poor bunch riding skills. Often ride two by two where they shouldn't and cross the centre line. I also have had them wandering on my side of the path while they are climbing and I'm descending. I've heard they have had some crashes. Thankfully, I rarely ride the M7 on weekends.

GasCyclist

Postby GasCyclist » Mon May 20, 2013 10:07 pm

yep someone needs a snickers for sure. Never seen groups of "40-50" on the M7 on weekends. I think the major problem is the impatient Individuals too caught up in trying to chase KOMs that make things more awkward than they should be.

I ride the M7 on weekends and never have an issue with groups. Btw there are lots of groups on the M7 not all from one nationality. Personally I'm more concerned of the odd walker with a pram blocking all lanes. That's dangerous.
Trek 1.5, Cannondale Supersix, Specialized Langster

redcorpsjames

Postby redcorpsjames » Tue May 21, 2013 4:35 am

Yeah I sometimes ride with a group there, we ride two abreast. Never seen 50 riders in the group. Maybe max 15? If a riders coming and they make themselves known, then we will get into single file.
Merida Scultura 905 2013
cell messenger fixie 2013

jm.catarroja

Postby jm.catarroja » Tue May 21, 2013 6:07 am

Never seen a group of 40-50 riding on the m7. I ride with a group and the group has great bunch riding skills in relation to safety. We warn each other when there are any hazards etc.

eon

Postby eon » Tue May 21, 2013 9:16 am

Baz
Hey Baz,

Appreciate the warning, certainly is the right place to post it on.
I ride the M7 path quite often, hence asked Admin to start this thread when I had my run-in with stupidity on the path.

I actually actively ride with 'a' Filipino group on the cycle way. Please do note that although there is a lots of Filipinos on the path, there is actually 5-6 different groups that i can think off.

At the start of each ride, we typically brief and reiterate to the group about riding the path and to keep it safe. we constantly remind our members through our FB page about the growing concern of the community regarding dangerous group riding & 'Filipinos' on the path --> unfortunately actions of one or others or a group, gets tagged as 'Filipinos' in general. This shouldn’t be the case.

If you don’t mind me asking, the group in question - can you elaborate what kit they we're wearing. "Blue", "Red/White/Blue", "All White" etc etc.

I can speak to the group in question as a reminder of safety.. If it is our group, I apologise in advance on behalf of our group.
Last edited by eon on Tue May 21, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue May 21, 2013 10:54 am

Baz
Yeah, sounds like the same lot I was annoyed with, though I ran into the stragglers.

What speed were you doing at the time?

The M7 is okay for large groups and there are some really well organised groups out there.

The government site suggests that you must be courteous to other riders and stay within the 30km/h speed limit:

http://www.bicycleinfo.nsw.gov.au/maps/ ... te_m7.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eon

Postby eon » Tue May 21, 2013 10:58 am

g-boaf wrote:Yeah, sounds like the same lot I was annoyed with, though I ran into the stragglers.
colours they we're wearing ? g-boaf

i ask this as most Filipino groups wear their group kits quite proudly so am curious which one is prone to issues.
can get in contact with most of these groups to send a reminder.

cheers

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue May 21, 2013 11:09 am

I can't remember exact colours, sorry. Quite dark colours.

I go know some people from one of the groups - those two are good at riding in bunches.