M7 Safety Alert Thread

eon

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby eon » Tue May 21, 2013 11:20 am

g-boaf wrote:I can't remember exact colours, sorry. Quite dark colours.
I go know some people from one of the groups - those two are good at riding in bunches.
cheers bud.

There are 3 groups i can think off that could possibly attract that kind of numbers

1. Red/White/Blue -> OZPinoyRoadies which I actively ride with
2. Dark Blue - "Patriots" - they branched off and started their own group from OZPR for reasons not worth a mention here.
3. White - TKS ( i doubt its them as 40 is a huge number)

There are a few other groups but i dont think it would be as huge as what's described.

If we can at least identify the group then we can try address.

thanks guys.
Last edited by eon on Tue May 21, 2013 11:32 am, edited 4 times in total.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue May 21, 2013 11:23 am

I'll keep an eye open next time. I only ride there on the weekend - my preferred route is closed on week nights and I hate Chandos Road.

superbarok

Postby superbarok » Tue May 21, 2013 1:17 pm

this is the right forum to raise issues like these so thanks baz.

just my 2 cents here .... it will be more appropriate methinks that we address these rogue bunch of cyclists by exactly that, their bunch name, instead of ethnicity. there will always be a person/s or group/s that will give everyone a bad name, just like rogue cyclists who run red lights etc, thus, the generalisation that we get from non-cyclists. as identified by eon, there are a handful of "filipino" groups that ride the m7, the 2 biggest being the OzPinoyRoadies & Patriots. if we can identify which group rides unsafely, some BNA members here can go back to their groups (and this by the way goes to ALL who ride in a bunch, "filos" or otherwise) and correct their mistakes. safety is of UTMOST importance on a shared path like the m7 cycleway!

group riders will stay on the relative safety of the path & probably see more of these in the future as cycling becomes the exercise of choice for a lot of people from all walks of life. that's just the way it is. what we need to do as a cycling community is raise the safety awareness for all by being vigilant, as baz did,and try and educate our fellow cyclists. this way, we keep the harmony between cyclists, which has always been great, and enjoy the ride, by ourselves or with a group that may one day be the one to help us out when in need.

(2 cents ran out)

PAIN - this TOO will pass

Walastik

Postby Walastik » Tue May 21, 2013 2:55 pm

Hi Baz, I ride actively with one of the larger group out the M7 cycleway (Patriots) and know eon and superbarok from OzPR personally. On a usual Saturday morning, we can have 15 to 20 riders on our bunch (definitely not 40-50, that's a lot!). If this is our riders you've come across with and had issues, I apologize on their behalf. We always brief our riders before our ride about safety and how to be courteous of the other cycleway users. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I will talk to our members and reiterate your concerns, nobody want to see any accidents happening to anyone whatever the color of their skins are.

Daniel@M7

Postby Daniel@M7 » Wed May 22, 2013 9:11 am

Hi

We were made aware recently of plastic packing tape (like extra strong 'glad wrap') being strung across the shared path. Appropriately we understand forum users reported this to the Police. Could we please request users of the shared path to additionally please contact Westlink M7 on 9834 9200. We will have our maintenance team attend and remove the material.

Thanks
Daniel Lovett
Community, Stakeholder and Environment Manager
Westlink M7

Walastik

Postby Walastik » Wed May 22, 2013 10:32 am

eon wrote:
g-boaf wrote:I can't remember exact colours, sorry. Quite dark colours.
I go know some people from one of the groups - those two are good at riding in bunches.
cheers bud.

There are 3 groups i can think off that could possibly attract that kind of numbers

1. Red/White/Blue -> OZPinoyRoadies which I actively ride with
2. Dark Blue - "Patriots" - they branched off and started their own group from OZPR for reasons not worth a mention here.
3. White - TKS ( i doubt its them as 40 is a huge number)

There are a few other groups but i dont think it would be as huge as what's described.

If we can at least identify the group then we can try address.

thanks guys.
eon (ehly), why the witch hunt? there's a lot of d*ckheads on the M7 and they are not confined to a certain ethnicity. I've seen people on bunches going KOM hunting on my rides, and they the ones who I personally believe are the dangerous ones as they take corners too fast (they are from different ethnicity BTW). Bazz certainly has a point but to just single out Filo riders as dangerous when other people of different skin colors do the same, I think has a racist tone. I agree with him about his safety concerns but I don't agree with singling out a certain ethnicity.

by the way, to set your facts straight, Patriots members branched off because your OzPR president ask us to leave. I don't agree with his reasonings, but respected it just the same as it was his group anyway. I just found it funny that we were excluded but other groups were welcomed. Anyway this is not the forum to discuss this but I just had to put in out there as you mentioned our group name

eon

Postby eon » Wed May 22, 2013 12:39 pm

Walastik wrote:why the witch hunt? there's a lot of d*ckheads on the M7 and they are not confined to a certain ethnicity
agreed, but the OP did mention that it is a group containing mostly FILIPINOS. so we'readdressing that - its not a witch hunt, we're simply trying to identify which group. If it is OZPR then we will reiterate and remind the group. If its Patriots, TKS, Pajakeros etc etc etc,, my thoughts was we would speak to one of the group members as a safety reminder to let the group be aware :| - now for Patriots i don't have to. you can. :D

I mentioned OZPR & Patriots cos really this is the only groups that contain mostly Filipinos that can attract 40 odd numbers. Right :?:

I've had the same remarks from pps i race with and at the end of the day there are plenty of Filipino riders on the path and I'd hate to have Filipinos be tagged as dangerous riders because of a handful few.

That's all.

... for the other stuff - dude I'll PM ya.

Walastik

Postby Walastik » Wed May 22, 2013 1:12 pm

eon wrote:
Walastik wrote:why the witch hunt? there's a lot of d*ckheads on the M7 and they are not confined to a certain ethnicity
agreed, but the OP did mention that it is a group containing mostly FILIPINOS. so we'readdressing that - its not a witch hunt, we're simply trying to identify which group. If it is OZPR then we will reiterate and remind the group. If its Patriots, TKS, Pajakeros etc etc etc,, my thoughts was we would speak to one of the group members as a safety reminder to let the group be aware :| - now for Patriots i don't have to. you can. :D

I mentioned OZPR & Patriots cos really this is the only groups that contain mostly Filipinos that can attract 40 odd numbers. Right :?:

I've had the same remarks from pps i race with and at the end of the day there are plenty of Filipino riders on the path and I'd hate to have Filipinos be tagged as dangerous riders because of a handful few.

That's all.

... for the other stuff - dude I'll PM ya.
Would it matter which group? The guys already had a preconceived notion of us being dangerous and already called us names. He already generalized and put everyone of our ethnicity on a single bucket. This is what I don't agree with. On every group, there will always be a few rogue riders. It's just the way it is. What I don't want to see/read/hear is for people just sprouting generalization when it is , as you say, only a handful few are guilty of such behaviour

superbarok

Postby superbarok » Wed May 22, 2013 1:42 pm

for walastik & eon, chill out boys & kindly PM each other, before someone grabs a popcorn. :P no need to spill your beans here.

jay

PAIN - this TOO will pass

eon

Postby eon » Wed May 22, 2013 2:05 pm

Walastik wrote:Would it matter which group
I think it matters bud. weather it be a filipino group, penrith, paramatta, KOM hunters, etc etc or whatever, if we can identify then it can be addressed - The original concern by the OP was a Filipino group --> we have the opportunity to address it, within amongst our group or friends of ours in other groups, so lets do that.

I don't see any remarks or name calling here - or have I missed something ? :?: :?: :?:
superbarok wrote:for walastik & eon, chill out boys & kindly PM each other, before someone grabs a popcorn. no need to spill your beans here.
lol :lol: :lol: :lol: ... i've got my pop corn bud. microwaved ones only though.... :D

Lets just leave it at reminding members of our groups regarding the growing concern.

Walastik

Postby Walastik » Wed May 22, 2013 2:59 pm

eon, I'd like to reply but I won't. Let's just say, agree to disagree shall we? I already said my piece and will leave it at that. Sent you a PM btw

metalmuncher2013

Postby metalmuncher2013 » Wed May 22, 2013 3:09 pm

Eon, walastik, please don't forget the bandits, another filipino group of whom I seriously doubt disregard safety. May we all put this matter to respective groups before the aforementioned concern by baz is quashed before it grows into all out war and tarnish safe and decent riders like yourselves, Eon and Walastik.

Bazza76d

Postby Bazza76d » Wed May 22, 2013 9:25 pm

Hi guys,

Firstly the snickers ad is tops:)

Sorry I haven't responded earlier I have been offline. Firstly can I clearly state I am not in anyway being racist, I don't care who you are or where you are from etc it is not of significance BUT I can assure you from my knowledge this group in question is of Filipino background, this however is not important, I initially thought it may have been the easiest way to identify the group/s, obviously not. After reading your posts I am confident in saying there are two groups I have identified, OZPinoyRoadies & Patriots. There have been several incidents and unfortunately my memory fails me on specific dates/groups, I will pay more attention to this in future and post more detail, perhaps after highlighting the issue/s maybe things will be sorted?

One example, last Saturday I was finishing at Camden Valley Way and so rode the last climb up to the bollards at CVW, there was a group there who I believe were in dark blue, certainly the fool I had the incident with was in dark blue. He was off his bike and basically walked directly in front of me, couldn't have cared less even when I voiced my intention of coming through. I can assure everyone that someone is going to be badly hurt when massive groups gather at this spot. It is a corner with bollards, its very tight with poor visibility, surely the organisers of these rides can see how dangerous this is? Seriously not 200 metres down the path there is a park, go there gather and take photos. Thats another point they gather for their group photos and block the entire path. Furthermore I have seen individuals stopped on the actual path either sitting on their bikes or having a mate hold it whilst they walk (in front of other cyclists), this all on the path. Move off the bloody thing and have some respect, it's a simple request really.

I appreciate this is the minority BUT if you are in these groups it is your responsibility to pull into line that minority because it is painting your group in bad light and that is not what we want to do. It is getting to the point where I am hearing cyclists discussing what dramas they will have at the Preston's end with these larger groups. Not good at all.

Without pointing any fingers I know of one serious incident in the past where a rider from one of these large groups decided to cross the centre line and had a head on with another cyclist coming the other way. I know this because I spoke to the bloke involved in the accident, I asked how that happened, he said he was riding in a large group, moving up the bunch and wasn't told by those ahead of him that a rider was coming the other way. So it has and does happen. I am hoping we can avoid any further incidents by discussing on here.

The point of my post is not to point the finger at particular ethnic groups, as such I have identified specific riding groups so I don't want this getting into a slanging match all I ask and I am sure all of you would agree, we want all to enjoy the path, be safe and have confidence that other riders will do the right thing.

Cheers
Baz
2012 S-Works Venge
2011 Fondriest R10

scotto

Postby scotto » Wed May 22, 2013 9:44 pm

On years of riding the m7. I've come across quite a few bunches of riders . Done OzPR, and some on Thursday nights with no "brand". My experience is that they ride fast and tidy, Announce themselves when sitting on a strangers wheel, and extremely friendly and courteous at the end of the ride. Oddly enough when we proceed to coffee at Preston maccas, they stop and chat at Preston bollards and are there after we've finished, off the track and out if the way. I don't know any of them, but would ride with them happily.

Walastik

Postby Walastik » Wed May 22, 2013 10:58 pm

Bazza76d wrote:Hi guys,

Firstly the snickers ad is tops:)

Sorry I haven't responded earlier I have been offline. Firstly can I clearly state I am not in anyway being racist, I don't care who you are or where you are from etc it is not of significance BUT I can assure you from my knowledge this group in question is of Filipino background, this however is not important, I initially thought it may have been the easiest way to identify the group/s, obviously not. After reading your posts I am confident in saying there are two groups I have identified, OZPinoyRoadies & Patriots. There have been several incidents and unfortunately my memory fails me on specific dates/groups, I will pay more attention to this in future and post more detail, perhaps after highlighting the issue/s maybe things will be sorted?

One example, last Saturday I was finishing at Camden Valley Way and so rode the last climb up to the bollards at CVW, there was a group there who I believe were in dark blue, certainly the fool I had the incident with was in dark blue. He was off his bike and basically walked directly in front of me, couldn't have cared less even when I voiced my intention of coming through. I can assure everyone that someone is going to be badly hurt when massive groups gather at this spot. It is a corner with bollards, its very tight with poor visibility, surely the organisers of these rides can see how dangerous this is? Seriously not 200 metres down the path there is a park, go there gather and take photos. Thats another point they gather for their group photos and block the entire path. Furthermore I have seen individuals stopped on the actual path either sitting on their bikes or having a mate hold it whilst they walk (in front of other cyclists), this all on the path. Move off the bloody thing and have some respect, it's a simple request really.

I appreciate this is the minority BUT if you are in these groups it is your responsibility to pull into line that minority because it is painting your group in bad light and that is not what we want to do. It is getting to the point where I am hearing cyclists discussing what dramas they will have at the Preston's end with these larger groups. Not good at all.

Without pointing any fingers I know of one serious incident in the past where a rider from one of these large groups decided to cross the centre line and had a head on with another cyclist coming the other way. I know this because I spoke to the bloke involved in the accident, I asked how that happened, he said he was riding in a large group, moving up the bunch and wasn't told by those ahead of him that a rider was coming the other way. So it has and does happen. I am hoping we can avoid any further incidents by discussing on here.

The point of my post is not to point the finger at particular ethnic groups, as such I have identified specific riding groups so I don't want this getting into a slanging match all I ask and I am sure all of you would agree, we want all to enjoy the path, be safe and have confidence that other riders will do the right thing.

Cheers
Baz
This post is much better than the first one so I thank (again) you Baz for bringing these concern into our attention. They are valid concerns that needs to be corrected. I agree with your points about safety, courteousy, respect to others whatever groups they belong too. I've already made my group aware and so will pull any offending riders in line in case this happens again. Btw, last saturday,looking at the photos we took, nobody on our group was wearing dark blue. Most are on black jerseys. But that is besides the point. I'll take your word that is is one of our riders that you've encountered.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Thu May 23, 2013 6:20 am

I wish the riders who stop at the CVW bollards would take their empty gel wrappers with them rather than throw them on the ground. They take a full one there in their pockets but won't take an empty one home to chuck in the bin? It's like a tip there sometimes.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

sminns

Postby sminns » Thu May 23, 2013 10:24 am

Hergest wrote:I wish the riders who stop at the CVW bollards would take their empty gel wrappers with them rather than throw them on the ground. They take a full one there in their pockets but won't take an empty one home to chuck in the bin? It's like a tip there sometimes.
Exactly, so much rubbish lying around from gels and bars. There should be some more responsibility taken, but some people are just lazy

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu May 23, 2013 10:29 am

Mod note: Just a note to let you know that mods are aware of this post and potential to escalate but so far so good. Let's keep it that way.

Personal note: Agree 100% with the littering and how dodgy it is at various points on the cycleway. Seriously not hard to take a few empty gel packets home with you. Just lazy and rude not to.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

redcorpsjames

Postby redcorpsjames » Thu May 23, 2013 11:15 am

Perhaps a bin up the top near the bollards? If I consumed gels I wouldn't want to put it in my pocket and get gel thru it. Maybe that's why there are so many there? As for people being on the path up there, you shouldn't be gunning it thru there, and have enough time to stop if something were to block your path. I have never run into this problem around there, but am aware there maybe people on the path due to the pedestrian crossing up there . . .
Merida Scultura 905 2013
cell messenger fixie 2013

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu May 23, 2013 11:46 am

redcorpsjames wrote:Perhaps a bin up the top near the bollards? If I consumed gels I wouldn't want to put it in my pocket and get gel thru it. Maybe that's why there are so many there? As for people being on the path up there, you shouldn't be gunning it thru there, and have enough time to stop if something were to block your path. I have never run into this problem around there, but am aware there maybe people on the path due to the pedestrian crossing up there . . .
The few occasions I have ridden the M7 path on a Saturday I have also encountered a large group stopped across the path just past the bollards at CVW. They are a hazard even if you are riding slowly, as I always do through there (since I ride the M7 weekly I know where the dangerous sections are located).

redcorpsjames

Postby redcorpsjames » Thu May 23, 2013 12:17 pm

Yeah look just be careful it's all you can do to avoid people around that area. Every time I ride them7 I see people stopped there
Merida Scultura 905 2013

zozza

Postby zozza » Thu May 23, 2013 12:30 pm

Did anyone see the Bum/Busker with his ukelele near Sunnyholt?

It looked like he was setting up camp :lol:

TimW

Postby TimW » Thu May 23, 2013 12:39 pm

redcorpsjames wrote:Perhaps a bin up the top near the bollards? If I consumed gels I wouldn't want to put it in my pocket and get gel thru it. . .

Carry a sandwich bag in your jersey pocket and put the gel wrapper in that, then your jersey won't get sticky from the Gel. There is no excuse for just littering. Re the bin. Rubish in a bin is a fantastic idea, untuil the bin overflows due to not being emptied, or the poor little misunderstood members of society set the rubbish on fire :shock:

redcorpsjames

Postby redcorpsjames » Thu May 23, 2013 3:51 pm

Well you could argue that they are doing the m7 a favour by burning it. Wouldn't have to be emptied then. . .
Merida Scultura 905 2013

TimW

Postby TimW » Thu May 23, 2013 3:59 pm

redcorpsjames wrote:Well you could argue that they are doing the m7 a favour by burning it. Wouldn't have to be emptied then. . .
and that sums up one of the attitude's of today's society. I'll drop that piece of paper on the floor cause the cleaner is paid to pick it up, sheesh :roll: :roll: :roll: