M7 Safety Alert Thread

Mountain_Wanderer

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby Mountain_Wanderer » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:13 pm

Don't understand why the M7 website can't just add closure info on its news page

Andrew09

Postby Andrew09 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:39 pm

They used to put it on their website. It was so easy to look up. That was the good ol' days. It probably takes a committee to put it together these days.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:29 pm

I heard that the M7 gates were open today but no email from Westlink.

Andrew09

Postby Andrew09 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:06 pm

I'll believe it when I see it. They probably don't send email to certain people out of spite after reading our first-world ramblings.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:15 pm

Westlink M7 Shared Path Safety Update

M7 Shared Path at Prestons is open

The section of shared path at Prestons (between Jedda Road and Kurrajong Road) is open, following a period of flooding from wet weather conditions.

Thank you for your patience and understanding during this time.

Contact Us
02 9834 9200
info@westlinkm7.com.au
WestlinkM7

g-boaf

Snake alert!

Postby g-boaf » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:37 pm

Elizabeth Hills on the M7 cycleway, near the bridge - there was a snake on the path today. :shock: We narrowly missed it.

Jawa

Re: Snake alert!

Postby Jawa » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:00 am

g-boaf wrote:Elizabeth Hills on the M7 cycleway, near the bridge - there was a snake on the path today. :shock: We narrowly missed it.
I almost ran over this "stick" yesterday heading south just before Elizabeth Dr ... probably the same one

Ken Oath

Postby Ken Oath » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:01 pm

Thought I would read about a few magpie attacks by now, any updates guys?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:05 pm

Ken Oath wrote:Thought I would read about a few magpie attacks by now, any updates guys?
I rode the M7 on the weekend and no magpies were sighted. I did see an ambulance on the path though but doubt it was a magpie attack.

syu

Postby syu » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:40 pm

Jawa wrote:
I almost ran over this "stick" yesterday heading south just before Elizabeth Dr ...
Ooooh, such a cute little baby.... ;)
probably the same one
Or one of its many unseen brothers and sisters.
biker jk wrote:
I did see an ambulance on the path though but doubt it was a magpie attack.
I think it was an older gentleman (50+) with heath issues, I'm pretty sure unrelated to a crash. I don't know of his condition :(

westab

Postby westab » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:02 pm

Friends just a reminder about the shared path - it is that "a shared path" and note that with the weather warming up and the afternoons getting lighter there are growing numbers of pedestrians & cyclists; so please take care.

Yesterday I was approaching a pedestrian who was keeping right and walking toward me. She seemed like a very courteous person who didn't wish to get in my way so she started to move left without realising that there was a cyclist approaching at speed from behind. I slowed, the other cyclist swerved and missed her (closer than I think he needed to be) and gave an angry comment. There was really no need for the comment and whilst I wouldn't have been pleased to have to change direction either it wasn't malicious. Everyone was OK and we all went on our way.

My point is please take care out there as the path use is increasing - we need to consider other path users (even if they don't behave as we would like) so that we can all enjoy its use safely.

Ps. Please don't get me started (start rant) on those people who are leaving "gel" wrappers about - I'm hoping that the number I also saw yesterday just might have fallen out of many a jersey pocket by accident :roll: :roll: (end rant)
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:49 pm

syu wrote:
I think it was an older gentleman (50+)
Ouch :( I guess I fall into that "older" category :wink:

syu

Postby syu » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:27 pm

robbo mcs wrote:
Ouch :( I guess I fall into that "older" category :wink:
Sorry ;) not meant to offend, even if I wrote "mature" it's not any better. Point being his age was more likely a contributing factor to his distress/health issues, but I don't want to speculate any further on matters. Poor bloke, he wasn't in a good way :(
westab wrote:Everything westab wrote
Yes to all.

On the weekend I saw two women strolling along signing to each other as I guess they were hearing impaired. My point being you're not always seen or heard no matter how much you carry on so give people a wide berth, or wait until you can.

I sometimes get lazy when I'm tired, but it's not an excuse for doing the wrong thing.

fishwop

Postby fishwop » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:25 am

Saw a fellow heading south on the cycleway between the bubbler and Old Wallgrove Road, riding on the very right of the path (ie my side of the path heading in the opposite direction). Avoided him easily as it was on a straight and he was just ambling along but wouldn't want to be confronted with this on a sharp bend. I thought maybe a visitor from the US or Europe.

maxx_hills

Postby maxx_hills » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:56 pm

Magpie Alert

Watch out for one angry Magpie at Quakers Hill exit/entry. Got swooped twice in two weeks, including today around 2.30pm :D

Jawa

Postby Jawa » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:51 am

maxx_hills wrote:Magpie Alert

Watch out for one angry Magpie at Quakers Hill exit/entry. Got swooped twice in two weeks, including today around 2.30pm :D
Have you logged in on the Magpie Alert website?

maxx_hills

Postby maxx_hills » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:46 am

Jawa wrote:

Have you logged in on the Magpie Alert website?
Didn't know such a site existed. Recorded my incident there. Thanks

WestlinkM7

Postby WestlinkM7 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:35 am

syu wrote:I've been on holidays so I've been away from riding for the last few weeks. Went out on Saturday and noticed the updates on the path at the intersection at Wallgrove Road.

The new traffic lights are installed and they've made an already narrow section of the path that much more narrower, but you probably should be slowing down quite a bit there anyway.

Then there's the addition to the "Slow" painted on the path at both approaches to the corner to warn riders as much, a good idea, but I hope it's not too slippery once wet with rain. The paint looked thick but slightly textured so it might be alright, I suppose time will tell.
Hi syu, I will bring this up with the Asset Team, so they can check and make sure the paint on the slow bubbles does not create a safety hazard in the wet.

thanks for your feedback,
kind regards
Tracey, WestlinkM7

WestlinkM7

Postby WestlinkM7 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:39 am

Mountain_Wanderer wrote:Not happy.

Did a ride on the cycleway today and unfortunately was not aware of the closure of the path at Jedda Rd until I got there.

Was a notification email sent out? I'm on the alert mailing list and didn't get one.
Hi Mountain_Wanderer

I'm sorry to hear you missed the email alert. It was sent out on 1 August, 2017.

kind regards
Tracey, WestlinkM7

WestlinkM7

Postby WestlinkM7 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:43 am

Hergest wrote:Just go through the hole in the fence one end and walk around the fence the other. It's dead easy. The water yesterday was a puddle halfway across the path and easily avoided.
Hi Hergest and Paxus, I will pass on your feedback to our maintenance team. We always try to reopen the gates as quickly as possible, but our crews need to wait for the water to fully subside before they can pressure blast the sand and silt away. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. This may have been the reason for any delay in reopening.

kind regards
Tracey, WestlinkM7

WestlinkM7

Postby WestlinkM7 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:45 am

Hi maxx_hills

I'll let our environment team know that you have encountered a Magpie, so that they can investigate further.

kind regards
Tracey, WestlinkM7

WestlinkM7

Postby WestlinkM7 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:23 pm

westab wrote:Friends just a reminder about the shared path - it is that "a shared path" and note that with the weather warming up and the afternoons getting lighter there are growing numbers of pedestrians & cyclists; so please take care.

Yesterday I was approaching a pedestrian who was keeping right and walking toward me. She seemed like a very courteous person who didn't wish to get in my way so she started to move left without realising that there was a cyclist approaching at speed from behind. I slowed, the other cyclist swerved and missed her (closer than I think he needed to be) and gave an angry comment. There was really no need for the comment and whilst I wouldn't have been pleased to have to change direction either it wasn't malicious. Everyone was OK and we all went on our way.

My point is please take care out there as the path use is increasing - we need to consider other path users (even if they don't behave as we would like) so that we can all enjoy its use safely.

Ps. Please don't get me started (start rant) on those people who are leaving "gel" wrappers about - I'm hoping that the number I also saw yesterday just might have fallen out of many a jersey pocket by accident :roll: :roll: (end rant)
thanks, westab
:)

WestlinkM7

Postby WestlinkM7 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:25 pm

Andrew09 wrote:I'll believe it when I see it. They probably don't send email to certain people out of spite after reading our first-world ramblings.
Hi Andrew09

we love your first world ramblings :)

kind regards
Tracey, WestlinkM7

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:36 pm

WestlinkM7 wrote:
westab wrote:Friends just a reminder about the shared path - it is that "a shared path" and note that with the weather warming up and the afternoons getting lighter there are growing numbers of pedestrians & cyclists; so please take care.

thanks, westab
:)
We need to all keep left, simple as that (especially on the bridges and those narrow sections).

Unless you are overtaking someone, please keep left. That should apply for all. The path has pretty clear signage everywhere and markings in various places that indicate the correct side to stay on. That's better for everyone and gets around those situations like you've described.

WestlinkM7

Postby WestlinkM7 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:41 pm

Andrew09 wrote:They used to put it on their website. It was so easy to look up. That was the good ol' days. It probably takes a committee to put it together these days.
Hi Andrew09

The new Roam/Westlink M7 Website was launched in early-October last year. As part of the new website development project, we made a decision to no longer post news about when the gates at Prestons would be open or closed on the website. However we still maintain the M7 shared path email alerts, and these messages are sent directly to subscribers. I hope this makes sense, and thank you for your understanding.

kind regards
Tracey, WestlinkM7

https://www.roam.com.au/using-westlink-m7