M7 Safety Alert Thread

Dave_C

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby Dave_C » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:26 am

M7 Crew - Repairs required
Riding this morning I noted that a mesh fence insert had been separated from a post and is jutting into the bike path by about 30cm. It is near the west end of the creek bridge crossing between Quakers Hill parkway and Symonds Rd.

The issue is it narrowing the path and may cause an issue, or if unsavory characters pull it out further into the path

thanks
Dave

syu

Postby syu » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:17 am

Doesn't sound good.

If you haven't done so already, email Tracey at info@westlinkm7.com.au to bring it to their attention sooner.

westab

Postby westab » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:44 pm

Confirmed - I saw it as well when I went through the area at about 7:20am. I pushed the mesh back the other side of the post where it was just catching but it could easily come out again. There was some tie wire that appears to be a temporary fix that had pulled out of the mesh.

Just take care near there.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

Dave_C

Postby Dave_C » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:59 pm

syu

emailed - thanks for the tip

Dave
Dave

WestlinkM7

Postby WestlinkM7 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:52 pm

Dave_C wrote:M7 Crew - Repairs required
Riding this morning I noted that a mesh fence insert had been separated from a post and is jutting into the bike path by about 30cm. It is near the west end of the creek bridge crossing between Quakers Hill parkway and Symonds Rd.

The issue is it narrowing the path and may cause an issue, or if unsavory characters pull it out further into the path

thanks

thanks Dave and syu

I received your email, and I've alerted our maintenance crew to this issue.

thanks again

kind regards
Tracey, WestlinkM7

WestlinkM7

Postby WestlinkM7 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:02 pm

westab wrote:Confirmed - I saw it as well when I went through the area at about 7:20am. I pushed the mesh back the other side of the post where it was just catching but it could easily come out again. There was some tie wire that appears to be a temporary fix that had pulled out of the mesh.

thanks westab

I've alerted our maintenance team to this issue. Hopefully it can be rectified.

kind regards
Tracey, WestlinkM7

WestlinkM7

Postby WestlinkM7 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:02 pm

syu wrote:Doesn't sound good.

If you haven't done so already, email Tracey at info@westlinkm7.com.au to bring it to their attention sooner.

thumbs up, syu

WestlinkM7

Postby WestlinkM7 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:24 pm

Hi all

As part of our ongoing and overall Shared Path Safety strategy, we've recently installed PANDA lights and 'caution' signage at Richmond Road (north and south). You may have noticed the new signs and flashing lights if travelling in the area. Our crews can activate the beacons (flashing lights) to alert cyclists and pedestrians when a Westlink M7 vehicle is approaching the area, or crossing the bridge. This safety initiative was developed through your feedback, to try and improve safety around bends or over bridges where visibility is reduced and especially when M7 maintenance vehicles are working in these areas. The signs are solar powered, so they are energy efficient too. We are trialling the signs in the Richmond location, with a view to installing at other locations if successful.

Keep a look out. We'd appreciate any feedback.

thanks
kind regards
Tracey, WestlinkM7

ps: i would load a photo but not sure how ?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:58 pm

WestlinkM7 wrote:Hi all

As part of our ongoing and overall Shared Path Safety strategy, we've recently installed PANDA lights and 'caution' signage at Richmond Road (north and south). You may have noticed the new signs and flashing lights if travelling in the area. Our crews can activate the beacons (flashing lights) to alert cyclists and pedestrians when a Westlink M7 vehicle is approaching the area, or crossing the bridge. This safety initiative was developed through your feedback, to try and improve safety around bends or over bridges where visibility is reduced and especially when M7 maintenance vehicles are working in these areas. The signs are solar powered, so they are energy efficient too. We are trialling the signs in the Richmond location, with a view to installing at other locations if successful.

thanks
kind regards
Tracey, WestlinkM7

Upload it to something like imgur. Or have your corporate web team upload it to your website and give you a URL. Click the IMG button and then paste the link between the IMG tags.

Good idea on those lights.

syu

Postby syu » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:52 am

Dave_C wrote:syu

emailed - thanks for the tip
You're welcome.
WestlinkM7 wrote: We are trialling the signs in the Richmond location, with a view to installing at other locations if successful.

Ah, I thought, good idea, but why only that one location? That explains it.

Let's hope they work as intended.

syu

Postby syu » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:40 am

I'm in need of opinions as to path etiquette.

I'd like to think I'm not completely clueless and I know how to politely give a verbal alert when I'm passing someone on the shared path, with out having to repeatedly ding a bell. I also like to think I know how to not be so polite when alerting people when they're being idiots and I don't confuse the two.

Anyway, recently I was passing a slower cyclist and said "passing on your right". Her first reaction/ immediate response was to say "sorry" as I passed. That's not the sort of response I am looking to elicit and said "no, that's ok". I was only ever polite and I think no harm, no foul on both sides. But I don't want to make someone feel sorry for being slower and required to be passed.

In this instance I wasn't bombing past and it was on a straight but slight downhill section and I definitely had a clear view that no one coming in the opposite direction.

If she hadn't had said sorry and said nothing at all I would have thought it was a text book passing manoeuvre, never to think of it again. Advice, is there anything I can do better?

Another example, admittedly at higher speeds based on the location. I'm riding south on the first downhill section passed Elizabeth Drive, so I've got a clear view down hill what's in front of me, I see a cyclist further in front that I anticipate is going slower than me and that I'll be required to pass shortly. I moderate my speed so I don't coming flying up behind him and have to brake heavily, but time when to pass him once I have a clear view that no one is coming the opposite direction. That puts us at the bottom where it bends to the left and then kicks up hill before cresting over the next hill, I see no one is coming and as he slows on the uphill I call "passing on the right" pull into the right lane and safely pass him.

Nothing further was said, but as I passed he swerved to the left as if to provide me even more room which was not necessary, I had the whole right lane to pass safely. I'd hate to think he though he needed to give me more room and I'd much prefer people to hold a straight line rather than swerve, even if it was a swerve away from me.

Again, is there anything better I can do?

With all the rain there's less riding to do and more contemplating the little things.

westab

Postby westab » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:13 am

syu - It sounds like you are polite and careful already. What you have described sounds fine to me as a regular on the M7 shared path (and a slower rider) I'd be happy to be passed that way.

Here is what I usually do when passing others (might not be perfect - but just food for thought):

Peds - 3 short rings on my bell when about 50m away and then 2 short rings when about 20m followed by short loud, but not aggressive, "bike passing right, Thanks"

Other cyclists - 2 short rings when about 10m away along with "passing right".

Kids - I simply slow up and don't ring my bell or say anything especially if they are riding - I simply pass very wide and keep going as they can over react and loose control.

When I'm being passed I usually just maintain my speed and line, which I would usually have moved as far left as practicable some time before; when I saw the riders in the mirror. I hope this helps.

WestlinkM7

Postby WestlinkM7 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:03 pm

g-boaf wrote:
WestlinkM7 wrote:Hi all

thanks
kind regards
Tracey, WestlinkM7

Upload it to something like imgur. Or have your corporate web team upload it to your website and give you a URL. Click the IMG button and then paste the link between the IMG tags.

Good idea on those lights.
thanks, g-boaf. :)

WestlinkM7

Postby WestlinkM7 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:06 pm

Dave_C wrote:M7 Crew - Repairs required

thanks

Hi Dave

The M7 maintenance team have fixed this section of damaged fence. Hopefully all good.

thanks
kind regards
Tracey, WestlinkM7

WestlinkM7

Postby WestlinkM7 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:07 pm

WestlinkM7 wrote:
westab wrote:Confirmed - I saw it as well when I went through the area at about 7:20am. I pushed the mesh back the other side of the post where it was just catching but it could easily come out again. There was some tie wire that appears to be a temporary fix that had pulled out of the mesh.

thanks westab

I've alerted our maintenance team to this issue. Hopefully it can be rectified.

kind regards
Tracey, WestlinkM7
Hi westab

The M7 maintenance team have fixed the section of damaged fence.

kind regards
Tracey, WestlinkM7

westab

Postby westab » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:15 pm

Thanks Tracey and the crew - have a good weekend.

Dave_C

Postby Dave_C » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:08 am

Thanks Tracey and you maintenance crew.
Dave

syu

Postby syu » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:27 pm

westab wrote:syu - It sounds like you are polite and careful already. What you have described sounds fine to me as a regular on the M7 shared path (and a slower rider) I'd be happy to be passed that way.
Thanks, I guess I just wanted to check to see if I wasn't being an a-hole/scaring slower cyclists as I pass them.

Of course I'm cherry picking the scenarios when I'm on my best behaviour.

When it's riders two or three abreast taking up 3/4 of the path (the whole path, not lane) I'll give a "passing" as I approach, "passing" when I'm behind and when they still haven't gotten the message I'll go around on the very edge of the right lane (only when it's straight and no one is coming) and give one more "passing" as I've gone past.
westab wrote:Kids - I simply slow up and don't ring my bell or say anything especially if they are riding - I simply pass very wide and keep going as they can over react and loose control.
+1

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:25 pm

No water at the bubbler today. Just beware of that.

BlueBikeRider83

Postby BlueBikeRider83 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:31 am

Hi everyone, i am new to this forum but been riding the M7 for few years. I just thought and share there is shattered glass near the north side overpass Cowpasture rd (entry near Serbian club). I usually ride early mornings and have noticed it yesterday and this morning again so take care when around that area.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:31 am

The gates were closed last night, but the path was totally dry.

Also, the lights in the section near the gates on the Prestons side were not working either.

Edit: The gates don't really matter now as it is pouring down again in Sydney.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:47 pm

BlueBikeRider83 wrote:Hi everyone, i am new to this forum but been riding the M7 for few years. I just thought and share there is shattered glass near the north side overpass Cowpasture rd (entry near Serbian club). I usually ride early mornings and have noticed it yesterday and this morning again so take care when around that area.
Welcome to the forum BlueBikeRider83. Thanks for alerting this.

There`s an email for WestlinkM7 to let them know. If you haven't done so already, email Tracey at info@westlinkm7.com.au to bring it to their attention sooner.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:26 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:
BlueBikeRider83 wrote:Hi everyone, i am new to this forum but been riding the M7 for few years. I just thought and share there is shattered glass near the north side overpass Cowpasture rd (entry near Serbian club). I usually ride early mornings and have noticed it yesterday and this morning again so take care when around that area.

There`s an email for WestlinkM7 to let them know. If you haven't done so already, email Tracey at info@westlinkm7.com.au to bring it to their attention sooner.
Yes, I noticed it last night. If I go through there again (doubtful with the weather) I'll try and find some branches with leaves and see if I can sweep it up.

westab

Postby westab » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:29 pm

Friends there is a tree down across the whole path just east of the railway bridge near Quakers Hill. The nearest exit is number 9 on the M7 shared path map.

I tried to move it a little so everyone could get past but I couldn't (too weak, wet, ....) so please keep an eye out
Last edited by westab on Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueBikeRider83

Postby BlueBikeRider83 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:34 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Bunged Knee wrote:

Yes, I noticed it last night. If I go through there again (doubtful with the weather) I'll try and find some branches with leaves and see if I can sweep it up.
I'll be planning on a ride around 5am depending on the rain and try and clean it up as much as possible if its still there.