M7 Safety Alert Thread

WestlinkM7

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby WestlinkM7 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:57 am

BlueBikeRider83 wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
Bunged Knee wrote:
Welcome to the forum BlueBikeRider83. Thanks for alerting this.

There`s an email for WestlinkM7 to let them know. If you haven't done so already, email Tracey at info@westlinkm7.com.au to bring it to their attention sooner.

Yes, I noticed it last night. If I go through there again (doubtful with the weather) I'll try and find some branches with leaves and see if I can sweep it up.

I'll be planning on a ride around 5am depending on the rain and try and clean it up as much as possible if its still there.

thanks all, I'll let our maintenance team.

kind regards,
Tracey, WestlinkM7

WestlinkM7

Postby WestlinkM7 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:03 am

g-boaf wrote:No water at the bubbler today. Just beware of that.

Hi g-boaf,

I received an email from a regular shared path user about this earlier this week. We investigated the bubbler on Monday and found it was working, so I'm unsure why there was an issue with water on the Saturday. Possibly the water network was temporarily affected with the overload on drainage due to the amount of rainfall we have been experiencing - it's just a theory. I am sorry for any inconvenience.

kind regards
Tracey, WestlinkM7

WestlinkM7

Postby WestlinkM7 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:07 am

BlueBikeRider83 wrote:Hi everyone, i am new to this forum but been riding the M7 for few years. I just thought and share there is shattered glass near the north side overpass Cowpasture rd (entry near Serbian club). I usually ride early mornings and have noticed it yesterday and this morning again so take care when around that area.

Hi BlueBikeRider83

thanks for your post. I've passed this information on to our maintenance team. They will inspect the area and arrange for clean up. Please feel free to also email me at info@westlinkm7.com.au if you see something, so we can address any issues.

kind regards
Tracey, WestlinkM7

WestlinkM7

Postby WestlinkM7 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:09 am

westab wrote:Friends there is a tree down across the whole path just east of the railway bridge near Quakers Hill. The nearest exit is number 9 on the M7 shared path map.

I tried to move it a little so everyone could get past but I couldn't (too weak, wet, ....) so please keep an eye out

Hi westab

thanks for your message. I have passed this information on to our maintenance team and they are responding today. Hope you are well.

kind regards
Tracey, WestlinkM7

WestlinkM7

Postby WestlinkM7 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:15 am

g-boaf wrote:The gates were closed last night, but the path was totally dry.

Also, the lights in the section near the gates on the Prestons side were not working either.

Edit: The gates don't really matter now as it is pouring down again in Sydney.

Hi g-boaf, I think the guys were trying their best to keep the path open this week, but weather has beaten us. The gates are being closed this morning as there is a lot of water over the path today, following all the rain from yesterday. Hopefully some clear weather will help, but it may take a few days for the water to subside. I'll let our electrical team know about the lights.

thanks
kind regards,
Tracey, WestlinkM7

WestlinkM7

Postby WestlinkM7 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:30 am

Hi all

Following all the rain and in particular the weather event from yesterday, our maintenance team are responding to clean up. We are working along the shared path to remove any debris, vegetation or rubbish to ensure the path is safe. Please take extra care when riding.
The path is also heavily flooded down at Prestons and we are out there this morning monitoring the area. The gates have been closed and we would encourage you to avoid going there (if possible) until the area can be made safe. I am sorry for any inconvenience with the gates being closed, and thank you for understanding.

thanks
kind regards,
Tracey, WestlinkM7

WestlinkM7

Postby WestlinkM7 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:34 am

WestlinkM7 wrote:
BlueBikeRider83 wrote:Hi everyone, i am new to this forum but been riding the M7 for few years. I just thought and share there is shattered glass near the north side overpass Cowpasture rd (entry near Serbian club). I usually ride early mornings and have noticed it yesterday and this morning again so take care when around that area.

Hi BlueBikeRider83

thanks for your post. I've passed this information on to our maintenance team. They will inspect the area and arrange for clean up. Please feel free to also email me at info@westlinkm7.com.au if you see something, so we can address any issues.

kind regards
Tracey, WestlinkM7

Just a quick update to let you know the glass has been cleared. thanks again for letting us know.

BlueBikeRider83

Postby BlueBikeRider83 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:39 am

Thanks Tracy, for the prompt response. I'll be out there tomorrow morning again.

westab

Postby westab » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:43 pm

Thanks Tracey and the rest of your crew for your hard work - and quick replies. I hope you all have a good weekend.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

Jawa

Postby Jawa » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:14 am

Now that daylight savings has ended does anyone know when the lights are meant to come on? Been riding last couple evenings around 5:30-6pm and some sections are lit where others remain in the dark.

westab

Postby westab » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:43 am

Jawa wrote:Now that daylight savings has ended does anyone know when the lights are meant to come on? Been riding last couple evenings around 5:30-6pm and some sections are lit where others remain in the dark.

Jawa - whilst I'm not sure: I don't believe they are on a timer but rather a light sensor as I tend to ride through the same section at the same time of day and with the weather of late sometimes the lights are on and sometimes off. The difference appears to be the amount of natural light available.

I'm riding about the same time as yourself - and while the lights on the path are just great I would encourage you that a light on your bike both front and rear so you can be easily seen is a good idea. Then another one on the front that allows you see others/everything is even better (so it doesn't matter if the lights are out for whatever reason) - there are many people out on the shared path wearing black or other dark colours at that time.

Hope that helps - maybe Tracey will see this and let you know for sure how the lights work.
Enjoy riding there it's usually one of the best parts of my ride each day.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:38 pm

Elizabeth Hills area, heading south, just before the right corner going under the motorway - be careful of the sharp bumps on the path there. One guy crashed quite heavily today, ambulance was in attendance when I came through. I stopped and took a couple of photos:

Most people are aware of them and weave around them or otherwise just take usual precautions. But if you aren't aware of them, they could be quite hazardous.

syu

Postby syu » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:17 pm

I wondered what the cause of the crash was. I was thinking it was either the bumps or someone cutting the corner/on the wrong side of the path and then a swerve to avoid a collision. Now I know, thanks for alerting people of the hazard.

At the lights/pedestrian crossing at Wallgrove Rd just south of the bubbler/control centre there are paint markings on the path. It looks like they're indicating what part of the path surface to cut in to. Maybe Tracey can let us know what is planned and if access to that section is going to be restricted while the work takes place?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:24 pm

syu wrote:I wondered what the cause of the crash was. I was thinking it was either the bumps

I guessed it might have been those bumps, and asked. Sure enough. You can be caught out by them because it is shaded there and they are not so obvious. I know they are there and don't have any problems.

A quick solution would be to spray paint around them so people are aware of them, otherwise if you are riding the right way across them, shouldn't be a problem.

syu

Postby syu » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:44 pm

g-boaf wrote:You can be caught out by them because it is shaded there....

Always covered in shade and quite often fallen pine needles. Honestly I've never seen how sharp the bumps are and in such detail until you posted pictures.

syu wrote:At the lights/pedestrian crossing at Wallgrove Rd

I forgot to add, there's quite a bit of brown broken glass just south of here, you go down the steep decline across the bridge over the creek and then back up the incline, just as you crest the hill. It's adjacent to the on ramp so it doesn't take much to hurl a bottle out the window of a vehicle and have it land and smash on the path.

And speaking of brown things that can ruin your day, I spotted a brown snake today on the path approximately half way up the section parallel to the equestrian centre. There's a twisted piece of bark that's been lying there for days, I spotted it coming down the hill and thought that other long twisted thing just next to it is not supposed to be there, sure enough brown snake. Covert little bugger.

There's a big one that lives around here but this one was a lot smaller, probably the big ones offspring. It doesn't help the grass if like 4 foot tall along there.

syu

Postby syu » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:53 pm

g-boaf wrote:Image

Also just north of this position, where there are witches hats there are 3 panels missing from the fence and the posts are bent. What the hell.

I'd love to know what caused this. That's some significant force to bend that steel.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:52 pm

syu wrote:Also just north of this position, where there are witches hats there are 3 panels missing from the fence and the posts are bent. What the hell.

I'd love to know what caused this. That's some significant force to bend that steel.

I was wondering about that too, if it came from the motorway, then it must have been a very significant "event". :shock:

Sinny

Postby Sinny » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:03 pm

The damage to the shared path fence north of Cowpasture Rd was due to, believe it or not, a car went up the batter and took it out. Driver I am told was DUI, that or fell asleep, which makes you wonder how fast they were going to be able to get a car that far up the batter and then come down again without rolling.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:33 am

Sinny wrote:The damage to the shared path fence north of Cowpasture Rd was due to, believe it or not, a car went up the batter and took it out. Driver I am told was DUI, that or fell asleep, which makes you wonder how fast they were going to be able to get a car that far up the batter and then come down again without rolling.

Cripes! :shock: :shock: :shock: That's a huge embankment to go up! For those who don't know the area, just take a look on Google street view. That's a long way up. The car must have been a complete wreck after that. :shock:

syu

Postby syu » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:07 am

:shock:

That's some Dukes of Hazzard level stuff.

Jawa

Postby Jawa » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:22 am

g-boaf wrote:
Sinny wrote:The damage to the shared path fence north of Cowpasture Rd was due to, believe it or not, a car went up the batter and took it out. Driver I am told was DUI, that or fell asleep, which makes you wonder how fast they were going to be able to get a car that far up the batter and then come down again without rolling.

Cripes! :shock: :shock: :shock: That's a huge embankment to go up! For those who don't know the area, just take a look on Google street view. That's a long way up. The car must have been a complete wreck after that. :shock:

Saw that yesterday too ... was thinking a car but then though no way not possible :shock:
Other observations, punk kids on their motorbike still hooning along Richmond Rd. Noticed a lot of smashed glass just south of the Power St overpass too, cleaned off as much as possible but it was dark so might not have got it all.

syu

Postby syu » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:18 pm

Is it just me or is the parallel crack in the path near Redmayne Rd getting wider?

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir//-33.8375501,150.8563616/@-33.8376548,150.8562677,18z

westab

Postby westab » Wed May 03, 2017 4:13 pm

Friends there was a section of lights out last night between the railway bridge near Quakers hill and the footbridge over the M7 roadway.(I went through at about 8:30pm) please note it was very dark in this section for the shared path is either behind a barrier or high up above the roadway.

The nearest cross streets are Railway road and Quakers road (but not for this whole section.

westab

Postby westab » Thu May 04, 2017 8:48 pm

Friends the lights are still out in the section mentioned above.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sat May 06, 2017 5:04 pm

westab wrote:Friends the lights are still out in the section mentioned above.

Have you contacted the M7 people about this through their website? A direct contact should result in action quicker than through this forum.

https://www.roam.com.au/contact-us
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

Return to “New South Wales”