M7 Safety Alert Thread

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby zozza » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:47 am

TimW wrote:
Spiza wrote:
Wayfarer wrote:Was heading home from the tap (at the M4) along the M7 path on sunday, and saw three fools on the road, flying past the cars like there was a bike lane there, overtaking cars who were turning left, on the left. There were 3 of them, so naturally they're invincible.

Dude, I think I saw you this morning screaming along the cycleway without a helmet :?

In a red skinsuit :shock: :shock: :shock:

:mrgreen:
zozza

by BNA » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:13 pm

BNA

Postby Wayfarer » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:13 pm

Spiza wrote:Dude, I think I saw you this morning screaming along the cycleway without a helmet :?

Is that a crime now? Oh wait, it is :lol:
Yeah, I was testing out this new aerodynamic prototype model for this new company you wouldn't have heard of yet that's approved in every country except Australia Canada & NZ called the 'dontfalloffdumar$3'. but really i got outta bed when the doorbell rung, jumped into the tri suit and smacked the bike in the van just to realise later that i'd forgotton my hardhat and gloves .. So what then, what's your point? Remember that one time when you did that one thing that made you a hypocrite? Yeah, thats exactly what I thought :wink: :lol:
What are these salesmen peddling?
Wayfarer

Postby leximack » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:00 pm

Wayfarer wrote:
Spiza wrote:Dude, I think I saw you this morning screaming along the cycleway without a helmet :?

Is that a crime now? Oh wait, it is :lol:
Yeah, I was testing out this new aerodynamic prototype model for this new company you wouldn't have heard of yet that's approved in every country except Australia Canada & NZ called the 'dontfalloffdumar$3'. but really i got outta bed when the doorbell rung, jumped into the tri suit and smacked the bike in the van just to realise later that i'd forgotton my hardhat and gloves .. So what then, what's your point? Remember that one time when you did that one thing that made you a hypocrite? Yeah, thats exactly what I thought :wink: :lol:

i dont know about everyone else but 95% of the time i have no idea what the f### your on about :shock:
leximack

Postby Wayfarer » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:38 pm

My words are like poetry. I was using irony to suggest the fact I already knew what they were getting at, (how I'm the worlds biggest expert on helmet laws, but didn't wear one on saturday), and pretending to lousily defend my choice to ride without one on saturday by claining it was safe to ride without it (like everywhere, bar Australia, Canada and NZ where there are MHL's), when really I'd just left the helmet at home after a long night. Then, to avoid being called a hypocrite, I exploited the assumption the OP was probably a hypocrite sometime in his life, and that he shouldn't be raising his nose at me.

Something like that anyway. Point taken though, i should really write more coherent paragraphs..
What are these salesmen peddling?
Wayfarer

Postby Old and Rusty » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:24 pm

Wayfarer wrote:My words are like poetry. I was using irony to suggest the fact I already knew what they were getting at, (how I'm the worlds biggest expert on helmet laws, but didn't wear one on saturday), and pretending to lousily defend my choice to ride without one on saturday by claining it was safe to ride without it (like everywhere, bar Australia, Canada and NZ where there are MHL's), when really I'd just left the helmet at home after a long night. Then, to avoid being called a hypocrite, I exploited the assumption the OP was probably a hypocrite sometime in his life, and that he shouldn't be raising his nose at me.

Something like that anyway. Point taken though, i should really write more coherent paragraphs..

"scaffolders, where learning to walk upright is in the training manual"
2011 Jamis Ventura Elite
2011 Pinarello FPQ
Old and Rusty

Postby westab » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:13 pm

This morining when I was riding there was a large digger near the entrance for at Quakers road. They were going to empty a drain (or something like that) near the footbridge over the M7 roadway. they were setting up with good warning signs like most of the M7 crews but just keep an eye out.

On the helmet front I got told off by my 9 y.o. on monday for standing on her scooter - it wasn't even moving I just put a foot on it. She had great pleasure in telling me off in front of my wife, other two kids, sister, her husband, her three kids, and her in-laws. She gave me the instructions I usually give her - "no brain bucket; no ride - get off" :shock: :oops: everyone laughted and I agreed with her and got off. Nice to see that my lot know the message - I don't like the law but think I would wear a helmet even if it changed. I hope to never need to use it.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.
westab

Postby TimW » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:12 pm

Nearly had a nasty incident this morning with a ride on lawn mower at the Prestons end. Lou and I were riding back from Prestons, and just before the footbridge part, a guy was mowing the lawn in the same direction as us. We saw what was going to happen, but when the guy suddenly turned the mower into our path, it was only luck that stopped us being cleaned up by the guy. We let go with a couple of words and he just returned a blank look :roll: :roll: :roll: Anyway i will follow it up with an email, to the m7 just as a heads up.Tim

edit: Courteous message sent to M7 via their website, for their information.
TimW

Postby gauchoracer » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:41 pm

It will be interesting to hear what the response will be..
Probably the standard, "we strive to create a safe environment for all users and employees, and will reinforce this with all our staff and contractors. Thank you for the taking the time to let us know of this potential hazard, so we can prevent it happening again..."
That sounds like i work as a public liason officer... :o :shock: :shock: :o
Let us know Tim, Glad you guys averted the "Fight with the lawnmower..."

Max...
Rule No 1: Have Fun.
07 Avanti Blade Comp.
08 Teschner Piuma SL.
10 Norco Storm MTB.
gauchoracer

Postby TimW » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:31 pm

Max, I advised in my email to them that it was for their information only

here is what i wrote
Just a heads up re an incident on the M7 cycleway this morning. Myself and one other were riding north from the Prestons end, and as we were approaching a worker, riding a ride on lawn mower,he turned the mower around without looking and nearly took the both of us out. Luckily we pre-empted what was about to happen and avoided a collision.
Thankfully, nothing serious eventuated, but it did make me somewhat angry, that the young fellow did not even look to see what was comming before he turned around.
No further action is required, as i just thought i should inform you. I am a very grateful user of the M7 cycleway daily, and fully appreciate the environment in which i can safely ride my bike.So I just thought i would forward this for your information. Kind Regards Tim

The reply

Main thing was getting something recorded, if it happens again and someone is injured, then they are in strife. I mentioned in another thread, that there must be new lawnmowing contractors at the moment, they are leaving behind a lot of grass on the cycleway, which will be another hazard when the rain returns.Tim
TimW

Postby biker jk » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:46 pm

According to some friends who rode the M7 today they were passed by a road bike at speed being paced by a motorbike. Go figure!

Just on the maintenance workers, I have noted a significant rise in dangerous behaviour in recent months and have been nearly taken out on several occasions.
biker jk

Postby TimW » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:59 pm

biker jk wrote:According to some friends who rode the M7 today they were passed by a road bike at speed being paced by a motorbike. Go figure!

Just on the maintenance workers, I have noted a significant rise in dangerous behaviour in recent months and have been nearly taken out on several occasions.

Yeah, they passed me on the bridge near the Serbian club, scared the living poop outta me, and going quick as well. They might have been better on the M7 shoulder, much safer today as the masses were out.
TimW

Postby TimW » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:25 pm

Further reply received today
Tim,

Thank you for letting us know of your experience and that you appreciate the shared path.

We forwarded your email to our maintenance area and the encounter has been raised with the team members involved, and our practices reiterated in terms of their need to be ever alert when working on or near the shared path and to take particular care to check before maneuvering equipment. As I know you would appreciate, we have regular ‘tool box’ sessions with the crew to raise any issues and discuss, refresh and enhance safe working methods and your feedback has been a helpful reminder of how quickly something may happen.

I’m glad you enjoy using the shared path and that you also were watchful and able to take actions to avert an incident. We encourage riders to take care, knowing that others use the shared path including maintenance vehicles, other cyclists, walkers, dog walkers, joggers and families as well as Police patrols.

Thank you again for contacting us

Regards,

Bronwyn Hunter
Community and Stakeholder Relations Manager
WSO Co Pty Limited
ACN 102 757 924
ABN 73 102 757 924

101 Wallgrove Road
Eastern Creek NSW 2766

PO Box 236
Horsley Park NSW 2175

D 02 9834 9204 T 02 9834 9200 (Tuesdays-Thursdays)
F 02 9834 9211
E [email protected] W www.westlinkm7.com.au
TimW

Postby meridaman » Thu May 10, 2012 10:11 pm

Righto which one of you sicko's dropped a turd on the little cut back under the bridge at Kurrajong Road, peel off the Cycleway to head along Kurrajong Road and nearly rode straight over the top, it's terrible, whoever did it, please take a bag next time you need to drop one while out!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
meridaman

Postby Crowella » Fri May 11, 2012 4:04 pm

Riding out this morning, found some broken glass under Sunnyholt Rd bridge so just take care near the road barrier there. There was maintenance nearby so it may be gone now.

Also, dog mess around the Preston end. Wish people would clean up. :(
Adam
Specialized Sirrus 2011
Avanti Quantum 2.0 2011

Crowella

Postby zozza » Sun May 13, 2012 8:12 pm

meridaman wrote:Righto which one of you sicko's dropped a turd on the little cut back under the bridge at Kurrajong Road

Well I know for a fact it wasn't Georgey :|

OK... I dont know for a fact that it wasn't Georgey :roll:
zozza

Postby leximack » Sun May 13, 2012 9:31 pm

meridaman wrote:Righto which one of you sicko's dropped a turd on the little cut back under the bridge at Kurrajong Road, peel off the Cycleway to head along Kurrajong Road and nearly rode straight over the top, it's terrible, whoever did it, please take a bag next time you need to drop one while out!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

sorry about that, when you got to go you got to go :wink: :wink: .
Next time i will be more considerate and hang over the railing and drop one into the local creek :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
leximack

M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby meridaman » Sun May 13, 2012 10:34 pm

Wouldnt be the dirtiest thing in the creek by a loooong shot!!! Lol
meridaman

Postby NotFlyingScot » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:20 pm

If the level of rubbish dumped by my fellow cyclists at top of Elizabeth Dr gets any worse may have to consider erecting sign-age similar to that spotted in Chinese national park recently.
FPR Jubilado Bludger
NotFlyingScot

Postby zozza » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:26 am

The Gel wrappers were back last night Sandy :evil:

Maybe we need to request from the kind M7 peeps a bin to be placed in that location?
zozza

Postby Sinny » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:11 am

Maybe people should take their rubbish with them, you take it with you you can certainly take it back out. It's not like it will weigh you down once it's empty and it takes up no ore room then when it was full or unopened.
Besides a bin wont do any good anyway, a mate works at the M7 and he has told me how the bins in the truck bays will be empty or not even half full yet there will be rubbish all along the bay and around the bin, people are just plain lazy.
Sinny

Postby biker jk » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:31 am

Sinny wrote:Maybe people should take their rubbish with them, you take it with you you can certainly take it back out. It's not like it will weigh you down once it's empty and it takes up no ore room then when it was full or unopened.
Besides a bin wont do any good anyway, a mate works at the M7 and he has told me how the bins in the truck bays will be empty or not even half full yet there will be rubbish all along the bay and around the bin, people are just plain lazy.

I agree that people shouldn't litter. However, the bin at the bubbler on the M7 path is often full and I have had to contact Westlink to have it emptied on several occasions. So even if they instal another bin at the Elizabeth Drive summit it will need to be emptied regularly.
biker jk

Postby rogan » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:20 pm

An enforceable 30 km/h speed limit on the M7 path? Apparently it's coming...
rogan

Postby westab » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:08 am

rogan wrote:An enforceable 30 km/h speed limit on the M7 path? Apparently it's coming...

Thanks for the update rogan - But why? I can't understand this thinking (or lack of) are they trying to make it harder again for the cycling community in one of the only places there is an ability to train or go fast safely. Do you know whose "wise" idea this is please let me know so I can let them know how silly this is and how it will affect cyclist safety so badly by forcing them onto the roadway with cars doing 100km/h (maybe there should be a limit for them of 50 km/h - ie half for what is reasonable like us). :cry:
Not fast, no style, but still get there.
westab

Postby gururug » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:24 am

[sarcasm]Great! now i'm allowed to fly past pedestrians at 30[/sarcasm]

I understand the sentiment but on such a low use path, such a limit would have a negative effect on safety. I can see all the mom and dad riders staring down at their speedos and running into the steel barriers.
gururug

Postby Shred931 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:00 pm

Are they going to require all bicycles to have bike computers with calibrated speedometers that meet Roads and Maritime NSW specifications?
Shred931

PreviousNext

Return to New South Wales