Sydney bus strike called

JV911

Sydney bus strike called

Postby JV911 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:19 pm

Sydney bus strike called

The NSW Government will take the bus drivers' union to the industrial relations commission to try to head off a 24-hour strike that will wipe out services around Sydney tomorrow.

The Rail Tram and Bus Union says award negotiations between bus drivers and the NSW Government have broken down and drivers will stop work from 4am tomorrow until 4am on Saturday.

It is understood the State Government will challenge the proposed strike in the NSW Industrial Relations Commission at 1.30pm today.

If it fails to stop the strike, no State Transit Authority buses will operate from first service tomorrow.

Private bus services will not be affected.

The union’s bus division secretary Raul Baonza said drivers were sick of being ignored by the Government.

He said the Government had chosen to ignore the matter for the past six months.

‘‘Workers are sick of constant cuts to the quality of public transport in NSW and the quality of STA [State Transit Authority] bus services in particular, and have decided to take a strand,’’ Mr Baonza said in a statement.
- workers are? how about paying customers??? - JV

The union is apologising to travellers for any inconvenience, but says it has been left with no other option but industrial action, after six rounds of negotiations with the Government.

Mr Baonza said the STA posted a profit of more than $45 million last financial year but bus drivers were being asked to accept cuts to basic conditions before they could get a fair pay rise.

State Transit was offering bus drivers only a 2.5 per cent pay rise and would not consider anything above that unless there were cuts to workers' conditions and the quality of services, the union said.
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

ni78ck

Re: Sydney bus strike called

Postby ni78ck » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:49 pm

i guess a big inconvieniance for alot of people, my wife included!
we are revisiting the days of old where the posties and others are joining in :shock:
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

gavinr

Postby gavinr » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:38 am

They've picked a good day for it :D

I thought I'd see lots of extra cyclists this morning but it seems the rain has put everyone off.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:40 am

Lots of people walking over the anzac bridge for the first time! more walkers than riders today.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:22 pm

more sickies today too :!:
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

JV911

Postby JV911 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:05 pm

RiverCat was obviously more packed than normal this morning. Free travel for bus ticket holders.

workers walk as bus drivers strike (who was that in the DHBC jersey?) followed by "Keneally reacts to bus strike"
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:34 pm

JV911 wrote:who was that in the DHBC jersey?
Don't recognise. There are lots of red jerseys out there these days.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.