Roadworks - drummoyne

JV911

Roadworks - drummoyne

Postby JV911 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:46 am

The contractors started digging up wrights rd (between Drummoyne ave and Wolseley st) this morning in preparation for it to be resurfaced.

I know a few people use it on their commute. Definately not bike friendly so best to avoid it - work is scheduled to take 5 days according to the residents' notice.

map
Last edited by JV911 on Mon May 10, 2010 2:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

lang

Re: Roadworks

Postby lang » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:00 am

Just a good excuse to take the shortcut on the footpath! :)

gavinr

Re: Roadworks - wrights rd drummoyne

Postby gavinr » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:00 pm

Pretty much finished by this morning, it seems. The road was open again.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:24 pm

it was in fact 99% finished on friday arvo!

apart from a few small spots where there had been parked cars. and they were sawing some small sections this morning i assume for services.hydrants etc (waking me up in the process)
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

JV911

Postby JV911 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:20 am

so just days after resurfacing the rd they've decided to dig parts (edit: i.e. the length of the street!) of it up to run new pipes :roll:

it's close to the gutter so ok to ride
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

JV911

Postby JV911 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:37 am

JV911 wrote:so just days after resurfacing the rd they've decided to dig parts (edit: i.e. the length of the street!) of it up to run new pipes :roll:
it appears to be a case of council planning, or a failure thereof. Downer EDI were contracted to resurface the rd and a separate contractor to lay the new pipes. it would make sense to lay the pipes and then resurface the rd. i was speaking to one of the contractors yesterday arvo and he said these types of balls-ups happen all the time...good to see out tax dollars being spent efficiently :roll:
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

lang

Postby lang » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:12 am

LOL... it's called "nation building"! :P

JV911

Postby JV911 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:48 am

not sure what they're planning but there is machinery parked in the bike lane on wolseley st between rights rd and the entry to the gladesville bridge shared path - so be careful if you're coming down wrights rd (westbound) and turn normally right onto wolseley to get to the bridge!

JV911 wrote:
JV911 wrote:so just days after resurfacing the rd they've decided to dig parts (edit: i.e. the length of the street!) of it up to run new pipes :roll:
it appears to be a case of council planning, or a failure thereof. Downer EDI were contracted to resurface the rd and a separate contractor to lay the new pipes. it would make sense to lay the pipes and then resurface the rd. i was speaking to one of the contractors yesterday arvo and he said these types of balls-ups happen all the time...good to see out tax dollars being spent efficiently :roll:
it seems a number of residents complained to the coulcil and we were told that downer would return the road to "as new" condition...the sections where they laid the pipes are worse than prior to the resurfacing :roll:
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

gavinr

Postby gavinr » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:23 am

JV911 wrote:not sure what they're planning but there is machinery parked in the bike lane on wolseley st between rights rd and the entry to the gladesville bridge shared path - so be careful if you're coming down wrights rd (westbound) and turn normally right onto wolseley to get to the bridge!
I think they may be starting on the work mentioned here to restrict access to the path (which is not actually shared, according to the signs :) ) from Wolseley St up to the bridge. Some construction-type white lines got painted on the path near the gates there a few weeks ago.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Mon May 10, 2010 2:51 pm

CAUTION: somone has dropped a truck-load of sand on the corner of drummoyne ave and victoria place :shock:
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

gavinr

Re: Roadworks - drummoyne

Postby gavinr » Mon May 31, 2010 9:27 am

Good news - there are now 'bike gaps' in the barrier between the two parts of Wrights Road at the Seymour Street junction. They were opened late last week.

This means you no longer have to ride the footpath to get between the two halves of Wrights Road.

There is also what appears to be a bike lane (as yet unlabelled) up the side of the bus turning circle at the Wrights Road/Lyons Road junction.
Last edited by gavinr on Mon May 31, 2010 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Mon May 31, 2010 10:05 am

gavinr wrote:Good news - there are now 'bike gaps' in the barrier between the two parts of Wrights Road at the Seymour Street junction. They were opened late last week.
haven't noticed that - i always go up collingwood

roadworks on lyons rd west too - eastbound lane closed near the former golf driving range
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

JV911

Postby JV911 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:48 am

JV911 wrote:not sure what they're planning but there is machinery parked in the bike lane on wolseley st between rights rd and the entry to the gladesville bridge shared path - so be careful if you're coming down wrights rd (westbound) and turn normally right onto wolseley to get to the bridge!
no sooner had they finished the aforementioned work than another crew turned up and has re-ripped utp that secion of "bike path". furthermore the work now extends actoss the wrights/wolseley intersection and there is a road plate across the road

JV911 wrote:roadworks on lyons rd west too - eastbound lane closed near the former golf driving range
copped a front puncture (westbound) due to debris on the road this morning...hit a fair-sized rock just after advising a ninja to get some lights :oops:
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:55 am

gavinr wrote: There is also what appears to be a bike lane (as yet unlabelled) up the side of the bus turning circle at the Wrights Road/Lyons Road junction.
That is correct, it should be seperated by a kerb so the buses won't cut the corner. Any more cycling related feedback on this area (i have an involvement in the project and am interested how it turned out)?

By the way, i'm working on fixing the pinch point around the bus stops near the burned down pub at rozelle. Should be a lot smoother ride!
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

gavinr

Postby gavinr » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:07 am

Strawburger wrote:That is correct, it should be seperated by a kerb so the buses won't cut the corner. Any more cycling related feedback on this area (i have an involvement in the project and am interested how it turned out)?
It does, although I have to say I never really had a problem here, buses tend to be parked up and so there was little risk of them hitting me :-)

As for other things in the area, the newly painted cycle lanes on Renwick St are fine between Day St and Edwin St, but from Edwin St up to Lyons Road they are pretty much unusable as the road surface they enclose is rough and full of potholes. The main section of road is OK here, it's just the side section within the white lines where the problem is.

I'm also curious about what is happening regarding cycles at the Victoria Road/Cary St junction (just before Iron Cove Bridge). There's been a lot of roadworks here for a couple of weeks now but it's not easy to see what the end result is going to be. I've had a few near misses here in the past, trying to cross Cary St on the Victoria Road footpath when some idiot has turned left without indicating and almost taken me out. If the chances of that happening are reduced I'll be happy :-)

zero

Postby zero » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:22 am

You could get them to remove the cycle lanes from Renwick St altogether and if they must paint cycles on the road, do so in the traffic lane. They are 100% doorzone, encourage car drivers to block or double entry to the stop sign area and have terrible surfacing and make the act of backing a car out of odd driveway present as dangerous as possible for riders.

Its a back road that parallels a major road that entirely cuts off that peninsula, bicycles are fine (and safer) in the traffic lane, and are not holding up traffic.

I think councils should be encouraged to stop creating "cycle lanes" that are 24x7 zoned for parking, and if they are going to paint a cycle on ANY LANE anywhere, it should be painted in the middle of the lane. That way mixed use lanes hide the cycle when parked on and thus stop confusing everyone (drivers and riders alike) as to where the bicycle should be ridden.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:30 am

gavinr wrote:
I'm also curious about what is happening regarding cycles at the Victoria Road/Cary St junction (just before Iron Cove Bridge). There's been a lot of roadworks here for a couple of weeks now but it's not easy to see what the end result is going to be. I've had a few near misses here in the past, trying to cross Cary St on the Victoria Road footpath when some idiot has turned left without indicating and almost taken me out. If the chances of that happening are reduced I'll be happy :-)
Cyclists will be riding on a separated bike lane on the new bridge, then continue along a shared path on vic rd, or heading down a ramp to join the bay run. I think to get over to the other side of vic road riders will have to cross at park ave. I'm also unsure of how cyclists get to the new bridge from the eastern side but i'll look into it.

Good riddance to Cary st intersection and the skinny path along the old bridge!
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:32 am

By the way, there will be a new seperated lane either side of renwick st.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:50 am

Strawburger wrote:
gavinr wrote:Any more cycling related feedback on this area?
you mean like this? :lol:

<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:29 am

JV911 wrote:
Strawburger wrote:
gavinr wrote:Any more cycling related feedback on this area?
you mean like this? :lol:

I keep laughing at that one. It''s a cracker!

I think the council had a big influence in that one on gibbs st, whereas the rta has control on and around the victoria rd upgrade.

gavinr

Postby gavinr » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:17 pm

Strawburger wrote:Cyclists will be riding on a separated bike lane on the new bridge, then continue along a shared path on vic rd, or heading down a ramp to join the bay run. I think to get over to the other side of vic road riders will have to cross at park ave. I'm also unsure of how cyclists get to the new bridge from the eastern side but i'll look into it.
Hmm, don't like the sound of that. Are you saying we can only cross Iron Cove on the south side in future?

That means I'll need to cross Victoria Road twice to get from the Balmain peninsula into Drummoyne (north of Victoria Road).

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:44 am

gavinr wrote: Hmm, don't like the sound of that. Are you saying we can only cross Iron Cove on the south side in future?

That means I'll need to cross Victoria Road twice to get from the Balmain peninsula into Drummoyne (north of Victoria Road).
Looks like they are retaining the path on the old bridge, they are linemarking all the way along the citybound side for both directions of cycle traffic from thornley to anzac bridge, opening up the area where the steps down to the park near the bridge city side (to avoid near misses with pedestrians). The Cary st intersection is open for discussion at a very high level so debates continue what to do with that dodgy arrangement as it stands.

Westbound they are adding the separated lane on the new iron cove bridge for those who do the loop around the bay (so they don't need to cross over vic road any more) stretching back to moodie st (where it links up with the bike route on waterloo st). To rejoin Vic rd path, you will need to cross at thornley.

gavinr

Postby gavinr » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:16 am

Strawburger wrote:Looks like they are retaining the path on the old bridge,
Good! Thanks for updating me (and everyone else) on this.
Strawburger wrote: opening up the area where the steps down to the park near the bridge city side (to avoid near misses with pedestrians).
Even better! I've seen and been involved in a few near misses with pedestrians (and dogs) here.
Strawburger wrote:The Cary st intersection is open for discussion at a very high level so debates continue what to do with that dodgy arrangement as it stands.
There had been a bit of a change to the layout there last night, it looks like they are making the corner shallower from Vic Road left into Cary. Still a way to go but from how it looks just now the speed of cars through there is just going to increase, making it more difficult to cross Cary to get to the bridge.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:32 am

gavinr wrote:
Strawburger wrote:The Cary st intersection is open for discussion at a very high level so debates continue what to do with that dodgy arrangement as it stands.
There had been a bit of a change to the layout there last night, it looks like they are making the corner shallower from Vic Road left into Cary. Still a way to go but from how it looks just now the speed of cars through there is just going to increase, making it more difficult to cross Cary to get to the bridge.
The problem is with the bus stop a few metres up. They are doing work at the bus stop, but they aren't sure how the cycleway is going to interact with the new works. I will be interested to know what solutions they come up with!

JV911

Postby JV911 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:53 am

Strawburger wrote:Any more cycling related feedback on this area (i have an involvement in the project and am interested how it turned out)?
do you know anything about what's going on around lyons rd west?

is it me or are they narrowing the road??? the west-bound cycle lane was only 1m wide to begin with and east-bound non-existant :roll:
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->