Post your M7 experiences

nitecheck

Re: Post your M7 experiences

Postby nitecheck » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:36 pm

wombatK wrote:
Rockford wrote:
nitecheck wrote: Cycleway was pretty quiet this morning
Guilty as charged ....not for munching on Easter Eggs though...(Am I the only one that hates crappy chocolate?) Give me Rum/rasin dark chocolate bar any day :)

I got a calf cramp of all things - in my sleep even..this was the worst cramp I've ever had...no amount of massaging got it out (bigger muscles bigger cramp I guess?) - anyway after 10 minutes of pain - decided to force it out by standing pushing it out ...BIG mistake...actually felt the muscle pulling....then "rip"....it hurt even more!
Been hobbling for days - getting better but no riding & off the road - anyone have any ideas on how to avoid these sort of cramps? I take salt in my sport drinks...? Is that enough?
I do have a low salt diet with everything else.

heliage

Postby heliage » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:15 am

Hey,

Just make sure you replace your salt with sports drink, also, dont do a massive effort then stop and rest, make sure you do cycle down a bit at least before you get off. Someone else mentioned magnesium in a related topic, check your sports drink to see if it has it. And make sure your eating what you use as well.
This works for me.
Repeat the hill to hurt less.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:09 am

heliage wrote:Hey,

Just make sure you replace your salt with sports drink, also, dont do a massive effort then stop and rest, make sure you do cycle down a bit at least before you get off. Someone else mentioned magnesium in a related topic, check your sports drink to see if it has it. And make sure your eating what you use as well.
This works for me.
Staminade has magnesium, and IIRC Endura too. But it's in pretty small amounts. Try some Magnesium supplements - something with about 300 mg of magnesium equivalent (or usually 500 mg of Magnesium Oxide). Research has shown that most western diets are deficient in magnesium. One a day is usually right - too much can give you the runs (milk of magnesia is a laxative).

A good natural source of magnesium is bananas, and nuts. And they come with additional benefits (extra fibre and other good minerals and vitamins).

Also keep yourself well hydrated - sports drinks are good for that - and make sure you keep drinking after you finish a long ride (>1 hour). For more information, see the Australian Sports Dietician website and download their Fluids in Sport fact sheet and Sports Drink fact sheet.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

jayson09

Postby jayson09 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:10 pm

well it was isolated,therefore it could be easy to target,i like it..

zozza

Postby zozza » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:54 pm

Saw 3 dogs off the lead tonite, 3 bogan owners walking their dogs all with leads in hand :?

One near miss head on with dopey dog after owner lets go of dog as I approach?

Say What? Why do these people treat this path as an off lead area?

nitecheck

Postby nitecheck » Fri May 01, 2009 5:00 am

zozza wrote:Saw 3 dogs off the lead tonite, 3 bogan owners walking their dogs all with leads in hand :?
There used to be a old lab-x that waited at one of the underpasses each night - he would wait just to the side of the pathway - then give chase as you approached ....used to meet up with the "hairy troll" every other night...usual story ..slow down a bit - hook the sharp right under the M7 - then sprint madly before hooking left with a quick glance behind ....he used to lag a few meters behind then gibe it up...luckly this dog was not much of a spirinter...but he did learn..... The bugger would "ambush" you closer each occassion so he had a better chance "getting" you :shock:

Not sure what he would have done ..if he did manage to catch up (labs are fairly harmless breed generally) - more of a game for him I guess. But I often thought what were his owners thinking letting him out..anyway have'nt seen him for months ..."kinda" miss the the old bugger...he used to add a bit more "spice" to this section of the pathway. Maybe someone got on the owners..or the mutt is doggy heaven... :?:

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri May 01, 2009 9:10 am

zozza wrote:Saw 3 dogs off the lead tonite, 3 bogan owners walking their dogs all with leads in hand :?

Probably trying to demonstrate their superior intelligence by their ability to control a dog telephathically.

Either than or they are ignorant arrogant rshls with no respect for the law :evil:
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

leximack

Postby leximack » Fri May 01, 2009 9:44 am

i got chased by a massive german shepherd on tuesday night wanting to rip my legs off.
Around the power st exit, it was chasing 2 kids till it saw me and gave chase. I had to sprint my a$$ off for about 2 mins till it gave up. I was hammerred afterwards and had to stop for a bit to recover.
Was a huge dog, very scary, not sure what i would have done if it would of caught me. I think i saved the 2 kids life as it gave them time to get away.

Don

Rockford

Postby Rockford » Fri May 01, 2009 3:53 pm

Maybe it was Alex's new interval training dog :wink:

NathanC

Postby NathanC » Thu May 14, 2009 5:00 pm

Saturday night saw a record three snakes on the path!
Plus a rabbit and a cat off to the bushes.
Merckx Gara Ultegra SL
http://www.livestrong.org

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu May 14, 2009 6:56 pm

NathanC wrote:Saturday night saw a record three snakes on the path!
Can you give us a tip as to where the snakes were, and what time of night ? I was riding between 4 pm and 6:30 pm from Prestons to Glendenning and back last saturday - no sign of any wildlife, and there were very few other riders out at that time.

Would have scared the bejesus out of my daughter if there had been. Planning a similar ride tomorrow, so it would be good to know where to be wary.

Have also used it twice this week on my commute between Old Wallgrove Rd and Horsely Drive, with no sign of snakes. People have reported brown snakes being around the chicken farm/tip area in spring, and we plenty of eastern browns and red-belly black snakes around my work in spring. But I can't recall any autumn sightings before.

Plenty of rabbits and foxes though - so it's not for want of good feed.
WombatK

NathanC

Postby NathanC » Fri May 15, 2009 8:05 am

Snakes were slighlty south of the Elizabeth Drive overpass. About 7pm at night.
Merckx Gara Ultegra SL
http://www.livestrong.org

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri May 15, 2009 7:38 pm

NathanC wrote:Snakes were slighlty south of the Elizabeth Drive overpass. About 7pm at night.
Thanks Nathan. Will try to keep a lookout there.
WombatK

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Fri May 15, 2009 8:59 pm

NathanC wrote:Saturday night saw a record three snakes on the path!
Snakes in autumn??? :shock: Wow I haven't ever seen any on the M7 cycleway will have to keep a good look out. With all those bloody bitumen tar snakes it would be easy to miss a real one until too late!!!

I nearly did that on the M4 last summer at the east bound mulgoa rd exit....
Thanks for the heads up.
Russ
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat May 16, 2009 8:55 am

ruscook wrote: With all those bloody bitumen tar snakes it would be easy to miss a real one until too late!!!
Thanks for the heads up.
Russ
+100 if you're bolting down the hill from Elizabeth drive at > 45 kph :lol:
WombatK

peter

Postby peter » Mon May 18, 2009 4:49 pm

Can someone suggest a safe and easy parking area near the northern end of the M7 cycle way? Cheers!

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon May 18, 2009 8:39 pm

peter wrote:Can someone suggest a safe and easy parking area near the northern end of the M7 cycle way? Cheers!
Footpath racers can probably give you a rolled gold tip - they start somewhere near Sunnyholt Rd IIRC.

I would think that the car park around the Macca's/KFC on Sunnyholt Rd (Kings Park) would be worth a try - but don't know if the nearby tavern might make it less desirable.
WombatK

Rockford

Postby Rockford » Mon May 18, 2009 9:18 pm

peter wrote:Can someone suggest a safe and easy parking area near the northern end of the M7 cycle way? Cheers!
They only problem is if some scum sees you unloading your bike he knows you are not going to be anywhere around for the next hour or so.

NotFlyingScot

Postby NotFlyingScot » Wed May 20, 2009 4:46 pm

Following last Tuesday nights incident involving the fencing cable tied across the track I commented on the Thursday that the M7 people had by then fully repaired all the loose cable fencing in the Dean Park area. Looks like they have since decided to remove temptation from the vandals ( criminals?) way and I saw this afternoon that now ALL the cable has been removed from the fences around that area. Maybe they will replace with the weldmesh panels used elsewhere on the pathway?
Oh, and for Chuck's information, you'll be pleased to know that I got thoroughly soaked in the last 3 kms on the way home. I suspect Lou would be in the same boat, last spotted heading south about 3.30pm
NFS
FPR Jubilado Bludger

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Wed May 20, 2009 6:00 pm

NotFlyingScot wrote:Following last Tuesday nights incident involving the fencing cable tied across the track I commented on the Thursday that the M7 people had by then fully repaired all the loose cable fencing in the Dean Park area. Looks like they have since decided to remove temptation from the vandals ( criminals?) way and I saw this afternoon that now ALL the cable has been removed from the fences around that area. Maybe they will replace with the weldmesh panels used elsewhere on the pathway?
NFS
Thanks for the update NFS. For those who missed it, the incident last Tuesday was reported in the Footpath Racers thread. The victim rode into a trip wire strung across the path, and suffered a broken shoulder socket.

This was not an act of vandalism. Just setting the trap was Criminal: http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/ ... 2/s49.html
NSW CRIMES ACT 1900 - SECT 49 wrote: Setting trap etc
49 Setting trap etc

(1) Any person who:
(a) places or sets, or causes to be placed or set, any trap, device or thing (whether its nature be electronic, electric, mechanical, chemical or otherwise) capable of destroying human life or inflicting grievous bodily harm on any person, or
(b) knowingly permits any such trap, device or thing to continue to be placed or set,
with intent to inflict grievous bodily harm shall be liable to imprisonment for five years.
NSW Crimes Act wrote: "Grievous bodily harm" includes:
(a) the destruction (other than in the course of a medical procedure) of the foetus of a pregnant woman, whether or not the woman suffers any other harm, and
(b) any permanent or serious disfiguring of the person, and
(c) any grievous bodily disease (in which case a reference to the infliction of grievous bodily harm includes a reference to causing a person to contract a grievous bodily disease).
Greg's injuries might fall short of grievous bodily harm definition, but the trap was certainly capable of inflicting grievous bodily harm or worse. Teenage rider on a shorter frame bike could have been sliced in two.

Given the actual injuries incurred, the offender could possibly be charge with assault at the least, and has shown a reckless indifference to human life that gets very close to the definition of murder.

For anyone thinking that riding the M7 shoulder might be a safer option, this Feb 2008 rock-throwing incident on the M7 at Deans Park preceded the reports of attacks on the cycleway. Those juvenile criminals would now be 14 to 16. Don't know if its linked to the problems around parts of Blacktown with rock throwing at buses, but I'm told bus-drivers fear taking buses into the Deans Park estate. Yet, it's a long way from being the most disadvantaged estate in the West.

Neither motorists, cyclists nor pedestrians are safe whilst these criminals are free to roam the streets. Its good to see Westlink taking some prompt action, but good policing is needed to restore public safety.
WombatK

brendancg

Postby brendancg » Wed May 20, 2009 7:01 pm

but good policing is needed to restore public safety
I agree however, limited staffing makes this a bit more difficult than it appears. Further to this many incidents that occur on the track are not reported to the police and as such the area is not seen as a priority. All incidents should be reported to the police so that a problem comes up on their stats and they are forced to react to it. The entire problem that the Westlink people have with the M7 cycleway is around Dean Park. There are more disadvantaged and worse areas around here but these hoodlums seem to make a great deal of trouble. I know that a number of hoodlums were stopped and dealt with in the Dean Park area last Friday night for lighting fires and smashing glass on the tracks.

Further to this limiting the police hand is the Young Offenders Act. Most offences committed by these hoodlums are covered by this act, meaning the most that can be given in most circumstances is a warning.
Yesterday was an easy day.

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Wed May 20, 2009 7:34 pm

NotFlyingScot wrote:Following last Tuesday nights incident involving the fencing cable tied across the track I commented on the Thursday that the M7 people had by then fully repaired all the loose cable fencing in the Dean Park area. Looks like they have since decided to remove temptation from the vandals ( criminals?) way and I saw this afternoon that now ALL the cable has been removed from the fences around that area. Maybe they will replace with the weldmesh panels used elsewhere on the pathway?
Oh, and for Chuck's information, you'll be pleased to know that I got thoroughly soaked in the last 3 kms on the way home. I suspect Lou would be in the same boat, last spotted heading south about 3.30pm
NFS

Mate...It was all dry till I was heading back around 1615hrs at Cecil Hills...soaking wet and so bloody cold! Not a good idea... :(
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=33 ... ij&z=a.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Wed May 20, 2009 8:50 pm

brendancg wrote:
but good policing is needed to restore public safety
All incidents should be reported to the police so that a problem comes up on their stats and they are forced to react to it...

Further to this limiting the police hand is the Young Offenders Act. Most offences committed by these hoodlums are covered by this act, meaning the most that can be given in most circumstances is a warning.
+1 for reporting to police. Unfortunately, I know of a case where the cyclist didn't think it worthwhile and I'm sure there's been plenty of others. We need a stronger community spirit and more faith in the police. Good policing can't start without good reporting from the public.

Every part of the Young Offenders Act allows the investigator to take more serious action than warnings, cautions and conference, if it is not in the interest of justice - so there seems to be a path for the police to take when there is sufficient community pressure.

Cheers
Last edited by wombatK on Thu May 21, 2009 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
WombatK

Spiza

Postby Spiza » Wed May 20, 2009 10:45 pm

I agree 100% with the comments posted by brendancg and wombatK.

I think it's fantastic that Westlink M7 have decided to remove the cable from the fences in the Dean Park area. It shows they are listening to our concerns and are serious about making the cycleway safe. Thank you Westlink :D

brendancg

Postby brendancg » Thu May 21, 2009 8:09 am

Every part of the Young Offenders Act allows the investigator to take more serious action than warnings, cautions and conference,
That is true but on many occasions when the matters are sent to the court they are sent back for a caution or conference. Both of these can be good outcomes but I know of many young offenders who have three cautions and three conferences, and are sent to court and return with a caution from the courts.

Anyhow this is a diversion from the main problem getting more action on keeping the M7 cycleway safe int he first place.
Yesterday was an easy day.