Post your M7 experiences

NotFlyingScot

Postby NotFlyingScot » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:23 pm

Chuck wrote:
NotFlyingScot wrote: Closest I've come to 30 kph average riding solo on the footpath, 29.95.
Sandy I won't be riding with you again, you're doing 30kms p/hr on the cycleway SOLO :shock: and riding OBR just for fun :shock: :shock: .

:lol: :lol:

Seriously though congrats on the progress you're making. You really should race. Plenty slower than you (meaning me) out there doing it and it's great fun.
Chuck, Thanks for the encouragement. Actually dipped my toe in the water this morning for the first time out at Eastern Creek. Zozza & BMXBandito have been at me for last couple of weeks to have a go. Had a ball, raced in D grade which was just fine for me. Finished credibly (IMO) for my first race :) :)
What a fantastic track to get to fang around on bikes :?: :?:
Sandy

zozza

Postby zozza » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:04 pm

Glad you got out there Sandy, I know you had a ball by the smile on ya Mug :D

peter

Postby peter » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:07 pm

Where is a good place to start if I want to start from the south end of M7 cycle way? I'm planning to drive there so need somewhere safe to park.

I would like to try the climb after (or is it before) Elizabeth Drive, start from the south end so I can have an easy trip back.

daacha

Postby daacha » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:21 pm

Peter if you head south on Camden Valley Way, just after the Cross Roads, and turn right at the Macdonalds & service station crn (opposite Tree Valley Golf Course), you will see playing fields about 100m on the right hand side. There is plenty of parking and head on the track across the fields to hit the M7. I think it is Ash road.

mortsraks

Postby mortsraks » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:45 pm

I park down there at the sporting field. No issues thus far leaving my car there (accidently left my water bottle on my car roof yesterday and it was still there when I got back, lucky i had a camel pack on too).

Although there has been an increase in the amount of glass on the path leading to the track over the past few weeks I've noticed. Might be an idea to park in the Maccas/Servo carpark and ride up Camden Valley Way from there to the start of the track.

That first 10km or so up to Elizabeth Dr is a hard slog with cold legs but well worth the effort doing it that way as the rest of the ride out to the M4 and back seems easy by comparison.
2010 Giant Defy 2

Feel free to drop by my weight loss / training blog - http://www.hmfic-clothing.com/79point9/

peter

Postby peter » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:24 am

daacha wrote:Peter if you head south on Camden Valley Way, just after the Cross Roads, and turn right at the Macdonalds & service station crn (opposite Tree Valley Golf Course), you will see playing fields about 100m on the right hand side. There is plenty of parking and head on the track across the fields to hit the M7. I think it is Ash road.
Thanks for that! Did the ride from there to Sunnyholt Road the other day, all up a little over 70km round trip. I didn't realise I was only 3.5km or so from Old Windsor Road when I turned around, would have been nice to do the end-to-end to make up 80km.

The climb to Elizabeth Drive wasn't as bad as I thought, though I did have to use the smaller ring on the compact. Only thing was I didn't wear proper knicks so my back side was sore as during the last 20km. A lesson for future long rides.

peter

Postby peter » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:56 am

mortsraks wrote:I park down there at the sporting field. No issues thus far leaving my car there (accidently left my water bottle on my car roof yesterday and it was still there when I got back, lucky i had a camel pack on too).

Although there has been an increase in the amount of glass on the path leading to the track over the past few weeks I've noticed. Might be an idea to park in the Maccas/Servo carpark and ride up Camden Valley Way from there to the start of the track.

That first 10km or so up to Elizabeth Dr is a hard slog with cold legs but well worth the effort doing it that way as the rest of the ride out to the M4 and back seems easy by comparison.
The parking lot was a bit too quiet when I got there, so I parked at the residential area instead. It was a nice ride particularly not having to stop for traffic.

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:03 am

WOW what a facility! it was my first time on the cycleway after 3 months of riding. i loved it. i parked on wallgrove road ( near m4 m7 intersection) and headed towards the m5. got there and headed back. it was 38km from where i started to return so i then headed the other way. got all the way to sunnyholt road and headed back again for a total of 66km. my average speed was only 24km/h :oops: but im working on it.

there were many other riders on the path which was great to see. i regret not starting earlier and attempting to break the ton. i got there at 8am and by 10 oclock it was a stinker. thoroughly enjoyed it! :D :D :D
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:15 pm

ni78ck wrote:WOW what a facility! it was my first time on the cycleway after 3 months of riding. i loved it. i parked on wallgrove road ( near m4 m7 intersection) and headed towards the m5. got there and headed back. it was 38km from where i started to return so i then headed the other way. got all the way to sunnyholt road and headed back again for a total of 66km. my average speed was only 24km/h :oops: but im working on it.

there were many other riders on the path which was great to see. i regret not starting earlier and attempting to break the ton. i got there at 8am and by 10 oclock it was a stinker. thoroughly enjoyed it! :D :D :D
You could get pretty spoiled if all you rode on was the M7 cycleway.

But I'm not sure about it being a stinker. It was 23 deg c at Horsley Pk weather station at 10:30 and I measured 25 deg near the M4 about this time when I turned to head back to M5. There was naff all wind, so I thought it was a pretty good day for a ride.

Do agree starting early is a good thing - every hour costs about another 5 deg C at this time of day - but I wanted to let the worst of the morning peak traffic go before hitting the M5 shoulders, and was aiming for a modest 70 km. Starting earlier for a 100km ride would be the go.

Your 24 kph average seems ok to me - given it included covering the Elizabeth Drv hill, and didn't have any drafting assistance. Think you're doing real well for just 3 months of riding.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

NotFlyingScot

M7 cycleway run ex Sunnyholt Rd Fri Jan 02

Postby NotFlyingScot » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:31 pm

Anyone up for a run to Eliz. Dr. tomorrow morning leaving Sunnyholt entrance about 08.00?
NFS

Loosenutt

Re: M7 cycleway run ex Sunnyholt Rd Fri Jan 02

Postby Loosenutt » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:20 pm

NotFlyingScot wrote:Anyone up for a run to Eliz. Dr. tomorrow morning leaving Sunnyholt entrance about 08.00?
NFS
I am keen for a ride but I have to work tomorrow so I would have to start at 06:00, which is a little early for anyone on holiday :D

On a different note, is the LifeCycles ride on on Saturday 3/1/09, and does it start at 6:30?

Thanks
Ryan

NotFlyingScot

Postby NotFlyingScot » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:55 pm

Loosenutt wrote:
NotFlyingScot wrote:Anyone up for a run to Eliz. Dr. tomorrow morning leaving Sunnyholt entrance about 08.00?
NFS
I am keen for a ride but I have to work tomorrow so I would have to start at 06:00, which is a little early for anyone on holiday :D

On a different note, is the LifeCycles ride on on Saturday 3/1/09, and does it start at 6:30?

Thanks
Ryan
Ryan, pretty sure the boys and girls will be out and about from 6.30 this Saturday starting at the Lifecycles shop.
NFS

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:40 pm

NFS
I plan to be out and about from home at roughly 6:00 tomorrow. If I'm there at 8:00 I'll ride with you, just depends where my mood takes me before that ;-) (don't wait if I'm not there).
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

zozza

Postby zozza » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:27 am

What a bloody eventfull ride that was last night?? :shock: Thanks for the help Spiz and Daz.

leximack

Postby leximack » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:41 pm

zozza wrote:What a bloody eventfull ride that was last night?? :shock: Thanks for the help Spiz and Daz.
what happened Zozz?

zozza

Postby zozza » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:40 pm

Hiya Don, A sudden and unexpected stop resulted in a sore wrist and knee and some minor bike problems then on the way home I sustained a 20mm gash in the rear tyre causing an instantaneous flat. Some makeshift repairs got us back to Spiz' van and he kindly drove me home.

Owe you a coffee Spiz, Thanks again :)

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:32 pm

Lucky it wasn't your front tyre in the midst of a turn Zoz. Glad you got home safe :-).
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

zozza

Postby zozza » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:10 pm

Hi Boogy.. Too right! A moment earlier I heard that dreaded )))TWANG((( :? I didn't see what I hit because of the wet path, but it was something NASTY :x

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:32 pm

Yeah, glass is one thing as usual but something like that on the cycleway is unusual. Hopefully not deliberately placed there by bogans!

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:42 pm

zozza wrote:Hi Boogy.. Too right! A moment earlier I heard that dreaded )))TWANG((( :? I didn't see what I hit because of the wet path, but it was something NASTY :x
Great you got out of it with just minor aches and pains, and a little help from friends.

Was this on GP4000s ? In this thread from last Nov, you reported sidewall troubles with Pro3 Race and planned to switch. Maybe just bad luck ?
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

zozza

Postby zozza » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:16 pm

Funny you should say that because the Michelin blew out within 100 meters of where the Conti got cut last night :? .

Just a fluke perhaps, I really dont get that many punctures and am always cautious of glass. The tyre was a well used Gatorskin, actually the one that replaced the Michelin.

The Michelin on the front is faultless and still looks new so I cant blame the tyre, I did buy some Conti 4000s tyres today though, Good ol Ribbles, cheaper than the T7 special :wink:

xx68

Postby xx68 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:30 pm

Where was it ?
As I got a wild puncture on the downhill at Quakers Hill turnoff ? ? At 40kph+ om the front it sppooked me , luckily the railing and I did a little 'rubbin' ! :shock:
It's the overpass on the right , long constant downhill , little wiggle , and then a swoop under a road .......
Anyhoo it scared the poo out of me !

zozza

Postby zozza » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:46 pm

It happened where the embankment slippage occured just north of Richmond Rd.

leximack

Postby leximack » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:01 pm

zozza wrote:It happened where the embankment slippage occured just north of Richmond Rd.
so you hit something, bike stopped and you kept going? over the bars?
Must of been a large object

You racing sunday Zozz?

zozza

Postby zozza » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:14 pm

Does the Pope ride a Colnago? :lol: