Post your M7 experiences

misterpms

Postby misterpms » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:04 am

I rode the M7 from Camden Valley Way to the Norwest exit and back for the first time yesterday :D. I went with a bunch of mates and all were impressed by the quality of the track. We've already decided to try it again in the near future.
2009 Trek 2.3
2008 Avanti Blade 8

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:47 am

misterpms wrote:I rode the M7 from Camden Valley Way to the Norwest exit and back for the first time yesterday :D. I went with a bunch of mates and all were impressed by the quality of the track. We've already decided to try it again in the near future.

Glad you like it. The more people using the cycleway will hopefully serve to reduce the vandalism that seems to be on the increase.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

kmad

Postby kmad » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:59 pm

Hi All,

Well alarm went off this morning @4:00am......AGGGHHHH. Packed the bike in the car for my regular morning M7cycle before work.
Almost completed my ride.....only a couple of corners to go! Come around the second last bend, only to be confronted with 2 joggers taking up the entire cycleway......What made it worse was they had 2 - YES 2 dogs LOOSE off the collar. Dodged the joggers, almost got cleaned up by the DOGS running wild. Fortunately hung on to the bike in a way that would rival any circus clowns routine. Did not come off, but was half expecting to top it all off by being bitten on the ankle.
I know the cycleway is there to share, But DOGS.......sheeeesssshh!

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:11 pm

The M7 cycleway is an ON leash area. FFS some dog owners are fricking stupid :evil: :evil: . Same has almost happened to me a few times.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

kmad

Postby kmad » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:16 pm

Hey Simon,
How did you get your BIKEJOURNAL progress meter up on BNA? I am currently signed up with BikeJournal and have set BNA up as club affiliation.
thanks for any info. :D

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:49 pm

Hi kmad,

Just noticed that you found the right thread. All good ;-).

Cheers

kmad

Postby kmad » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:07 pm

Yep it's all good. Posted in General Discussions and Philip helped me out.
Notice you're doing well in the kms progress. Got you're sights set on the top 10?
Bikes are like Beer Nuts.....Just try and stop at 1

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:10 pm

Well I actually want to make my goal of 12000km this year - missed out by 1400km last year. If I get a good spot in the top 10 that'll be a bonus :-)

misterpms

Postby misterpms » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:11 pm

Didn't see anyone on the cycleway tonight, I thought that there would be at least a couple of nutters out in this cold weather. I got on at about 8:30pm and rode up to the Elizabeth Dr exit. Does everyone take Thursday's off or was I riding too late ? I also noticed that on a cold night you can smell McDonald's French Fries about 200m from the CVW entrance. Great motivator :)
2009 Trek 2.3
2008 Avanti Blade 8

heliage

Postby heliage » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:18 pm

I guess most people must of gotten their ride done earlier because there was a quite a few in the afternoon around 7-8, didnt see anyone either from 8-830, very quiet.

Nicholas

Spiza

Postby Spiza » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:22 pm

Yeh I road early tonight. 4.45pm to 6.30pm. I saw a lot of riders. Mainly commuters I'd say.

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:01 am

Bring out those arm and legwarmers...its getting colder indeed!

nitecheck

Re: Post your M7 experiences

Postby nitecheck » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:45 am

Hi - new here. But have been commuting via the M4 to Boulevard leg of the M7 for a few years - both the M7 cycle/breakdown lane & the off-road cycle/pedestrian pathway.
Over this time I have found myself using the M7 cycle/breakdown lane more often at night (when there a less cars about) or if I need to shave off some time on the commute to work...but mainly due to the poor condition of the pathway.
In addition to:
* getting more flats on the pathway than the cycle lane
* poor lighting in sections - had my light fail in totally blacked area .....emergency braking on a bumpy curve while being blind as a bat - is not to be recommended :shock:
*Kamikaze Rabbits - darting under your front wheel each night....I actually am starting to believe they wait for me & it's a rabbit version of "playing chicken" :P
*The rabbits are harmless enough when compared to 3 "teenage hoods" who decided accost me at about 11pm on a Friday night... :evil: apparently they were under the misconception that I would give up my ride just because they told me too... Food for thought though - the pathway is not patrolled at night - it is isolated …lone commuters & ladies riders could be seen as easy targets…
* the pathway surface is really getting very bad in some sections - causing pinch flats at speed - never fun...& that tar smear (the bane of motorcyclist) the workers a putting down to seal the cracks - is as slick as ice in the wet & just as deadly in summer as it simply melts & slides under your wheels. Normally you simply do not ride on it - but is so common now - that even "side winding" up the path you simply can not avoid the stuff.

Not that M7 does not have its own risks...

*twice week on average having a passenger of a car yell some sort of abuse at me or the driver sounding the horn & swerving closer!
* worse - "professional" truck drivers - sounding their air horns just as they pass you - the 1st time this happened - it startled me so much I almost swerve into the concrete barrier - then over corrected & headed off in the direction of the truck's trailer - it was one of the dual trailer long trucks....scared me silly how close I came to being a pancake :!:
* even - worse - glass bottle tossed from a car - doing a 100kms & shattering all over the road only a few meters in front of me....

When these things happen ...I generally ride the pathway for a few weeks & become reacquainted with my "furry hoppers with a death wish" :P Although they are unpredictable at least they are more intelligent than the "belligerent M7 driver" & actually mean no harm from their actions.

Now - with all the above - why do I commute 300km a week by bike? Besides the health bonus's, being "economical" & "green" - I'm hooked....it's purely fun!!! Well not so much when it teams down rain - but once you are fully drenched - it can be fun again.....& little more challenging.

The trick is keep the shiny side up ….take care. & cu on the trail.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:30 am

nitecheck wrote:/snip
*The rabbits are harmless enough when compared to 3 "teenage hoods" who decided accost me at about 11pm on a Friday night... :evil: apparently they were under the misconception that I would give up my ride just because they told me too... Food for thought though - the pathway is not patrolled at night - it is isolated …lone commuters & ladies riders could be seen as easy targets…
/snip

Which section of the cycleway was this? Fortunately I've never has such an encounter but am not on the cycleway that late on a Friday night. Usually about 9.30pm at the Norwest end at the latest or as early as 5am on weekends.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:09 pm

nitecheck wrote:*The rabbits are harmless enough when compared to 3 "teenage hoods" who decided accost me at about 11pm on a Friday night... :evil: apparently they were under the misconception that I would give up my ride just because they told me too... Food for thought though - the pathway is not patrolled at night - it is isolated …lone commuters & ladies riders could be seen as easy targets…

Not that M7 does not have its own risks...

Might be worth reporting any hoodlums to the local police (Mt Druitt ?). There have been rock-throwing incidents in the vicinity of Dean Park/Richmond Rd, which the police are aware of, and have been taking seriously - and they have been making bicycle patrols of the pathway. See this thread for more info. Wouldn't be surprised if your troubles were in the same area.

Unfortunately, as the January fatality shows, riding on the breakdown lane does have its risks - and your reports of the hoodlum truck drivers are alarming. Think it could only be worse at night when there's much more risk of drivers being tired, impatient and drunk. Since the January fatality, I've been sticking with the cycleway. Suspect your chances against a bunny are much better than against a fool in a B-double.

At least south of the M4, the condition of the cycleway was very good this morning. There were loads of cyclists out enjoying it, just a few peds, and one lone dog-off-leash dope whose largish dog was fortunately well-behaved. There wasn't one patch of broken glass between Prestons and M4 - but I guess it won't stay that way for long over the school hooligan/holiday period.

In contrast, the M5 shoulder from Casula to Revesby looks like it hasn't been swept for months: broken glass everywhere - including an average of one broken V-bottle every 5 km that looked obviously tossed from speeding vehicles. Geez, if I could ban the sale of just one drink, it'd be that V crap.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:30 pm

wombatK wrote:Might be worth reporting any hoodlums to the local police (Mt Druitt ?). There have been rock-throwing incidents in the vicinity of Dean Park/Richmond Rd, which the police are aware of, and have been taking seriously - and they have been making bicycle patrols of the pathway. See this thread for more info. Wouldn't be surprised if your troubles were in the same area.

Same here :roll: .

wombatK wrote: There wasn't one patch of broken glass between Prestons and M4 - but I guess it won't stay that way for long over the school hooligan/holiday period.

Plenty of glass as usual between Sunnyholt Rd and Eastern Rd. Obviously close proximity to residential areas for that stretch of the cycleway equals more idiot teens who can only be bothered walking for up to 10 mins to be a complete arse.

zozza

Postby zozza » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:26 pm

Swept it away this arvy Simon :)

But it is Friday night, so it might be back by morning :roll:

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:42 pm

Great work Zoz, thanks. It'll be back tomorrow though.... :evil:

brendancg

Postby brendancg » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:02 pm

if I could ban the sale of just one drink, it'd be that V crap

Good, I thought it was just me. I reckon three out of every four bottles I see on the side of the road are green V bottles.
Yesterday was an easy day.

nitecheck

Postby nitecheck » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:29 pm

Which section of the cycleway was this? Fortunately I've never has such an encounter but am not on the cycleway that late on a Friday night. Usually about 9.30pm at the Norwest end at the latest or as early as 5am on weekends.[/quote]

I'm really not sure of the suburb - but it was on a 200-300m steep up hill climb (when u are at your slowest) from a sharp left turn (with really crappy pathway repairs - under a bridge) - where u need to slow down to make the turn 1st left then right before ascending - heading south..heavy bush to the right to the M7 & bush to the left (rear fences of houses about 50m's away about 15 meters below the pathway) ...I'll take the GPS unit next ride to locate the area.

The issue I had was that the "hoods" involved came out of the bush only a few meters in front of me from the right (M7 direction) - while I was pushing up hill - my 1st reaction was to stop ...however I was cautious …as I wondering what the hell were they doing between the M7 & the pathway ...BUT when hearing the 1st "....fukerrr.. Git of the bike.. words" - I understood the situation ...jumped out of the saddle & pedalled extra hard aiming at the apparent leader of the pack ...yelling my own abuse...no illusions here - 3 on 1 is a not good odds....(especially in cleats.....) & I do not doubt over the 1st 20 meters one of them could not have caught up to me ...if they sprinted as well ....thankfully this it didn’t happen.

"Winning” a altercation against 3 “drunken/doped/possibly weapon carrying youths - still can carry serious legal considerations - ” Losing the altercation could proven deadly. Rock & a hard place..I'm afraid. I’m not a “rambo type” by any means....but then again ..I’m not a soft touch either- but things can & do go wrong ..I have a family that loves me & depends on me..... nuf said. There is no way I would let my daughters travel the pathway at night! I’m not joking ....here is an another Anita Colby situation in the making...the security of the pathway is woeful. I would like to see some off-road motor bike police - assigned to the to the M7 pathway - patrolling the entire length with the assistance of the installed cameras. Although this would not stop all issues - It would certainly be an improvement..

nitecheck

Postby nitecheck » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:29 am

[/quote]
Unfortunately, as the January fatality shows, riding on the breakdown lane does have its risks - and your reports of the hoodlum truck drivers are alarming. Think it could only be worse at night when there's much more risk of drivers being tired, impatient and drunk. Since the January fatality, I've been sticking with the cycleway. Suspect your chances against a bunny are much better than against a fool in a B-double.
[/quote]

The needless death of Dave is a true tragedy - that high lights the risks involved in riding in a country that does have sufficiently have truly punitive penalties for killing people. As a driver - the responsibility of safe conduct should be on the onus the person who is capable of the most damage…the driver!

IF serious gaol terms are associated with harming or killing a cyclist or pedestrian then this would result in more cyclist/pedestrian “aware” driver. Hopefully less killings per year or criminals sentence for a majority of the life - thus providing a safer environment.

I lost a cousin a little over12mths ago on his motorcycle - who was run down while a waiting at a set of lights (RED of course) by a car…he is survived by a widow & 2 young girls…the driver although totally in the fault is looking at less than a 7 year term & will be on the roads in less than 3 years with good behaviour! !!!! This is not justice….as a motorcyclist I have been in 2 MVA’s & a as a cyclist 1. NONE of which were my fault….BUT as a lone witness I have seen 1st hand how a driver & a passaenger/s may simply get the story straight & LIE. So that the rider is deemed to be at fault…to be blunt the cops do not care about the truth - they just want the job finished so they can get on what ever cops do ….

leximack

Postby leximack » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:09 am

i would never ride the cycleway late at night by myself, it goes through some pretty dodgy areas which on the cycleway can be very isolated. I stick to the early morning rides (hopefully hoods dont wake up at 6am) and the only night ride i do is with 10-20 other lunatics.
I guess though riding late at night solo anywhere has its risks of being mugged. Unfortunately its the type of society we live in

Don

Rockford

Postby Rockford » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:13 am

nitecheck wrote:I'm really not sure of the suburb - but it was on a 200-300m steep up hill climb (when u are at your slowest) from a sharp left turn (with really crappy pathway repairs - under a bridge) - where u need to slow down to make the turn 1st left then right before ascending - heading south..heavy bush to the right to the M7 & bush to the left (rear fences of houses about 50m's away about 15 meters below the pathway) ...I'll take the GPS unit next ride to locate the area.

Sounds like the hill just after the narrow bridge coming from Quakers Hill Parkway overpass and just before where they have half the cycleway blocked off for repairs? Not a good area to be caught out.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&sour ... 6&t=h&z=17

Cycleway was pretty quiet this morning, I think everyone was at home eating their Easter Eggs. :twisted: Bike was a mess when I got home but a quick clean up had it looking like new.

brendancg

Postby brendancg » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:30 pm

Sounds like the hill just after the narrow bridge coming from Quakers Hill Parkway overpass and just before where they have half the cycleway blocked off for repairs? Not a good area to be caught out.

Did you report it to the police. I know that the police have very little information coming into them about damage to the M7 and also the people causing trouble on the M7 cycleway. As such it does not rate as a priority to patrol as statistics say there is nothing happening there. I am hoping to get the M7 people to report these problems more regularly and also if people here report the issues then the police will be forced to do something about it.

For information, from Sunnyholt Rd to Richmond Rd is the area of Quakers Hill Police, from Richmond Rd to M7 offices at Old Wallgrove Rd is Mt Druitt Police. Those areas are where the bulk of the problems are I believe.

Anyhow stay safe out there people, watch what is around you and report to the police that way something will be done..
Yesterday was an easy day.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:39 pm

Rockford wrote:
nitecheck wrote:I'm really not sure of the suburb - but it was on a 200-300m steep up hill climb (when u are at your slowest) from a sharp left turn (with really crappy pathway repairs - under a bridge) - where u need to slow down to make the turn 1st left then right before ascending - heading south..heavy bush to the right to the M7 & bush to the left (rear fences of houses about 50m's away about 15 meters below the pathway) ...I'll take the GPS unit next ride to locate the area.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&sour ... 6&t=h&z=17

Cycleway was pretty quiet this morning, I think everyone was at home eating their Easter Eggs. :twisted: Bike was a mess when I got home but a quick clean up had it looking like new.

The area from Symonds Rd to Richmond Rd is where the rock throwing incidents occurred. As brendancg suggests, make a report to the police if you haven't already. The culprits might have form.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia