Post your M7 experiences

Re: Post your M7 experiences

Postby gauchoracer » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:04 pm

+1 Rockford,
was on the M7 path this morning and had a couple coming the other way, him on his roadie, her on a flat bar, her on the left of the lane, while he was on my side of the line, almost the middle of my lane (As a matter of fact, yes, i do own the lane...), TWICE. once each way... :evil: :roll: :shock: :?
I suppose it was after i stopped at E/Ck this morning to watch some of the racing. Its almost sureal watching bicycle racing there when i am used to watching motorcycle racing there... :) It was almost peaceful.... 8)
Rule No 1: Have Fun.
07 Avanti Blade Comp.
08 Teschner Piuma SL.
10 Norco Storm MTB.
Image
gauchoracer
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:49 pm
Location: Liverpool, Sydney

by BNA » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:30 pm

BNA
 

Re: Post your M7 experiences

Postby roadkisser » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:30 pm

Hi,
I had a major experience on the Bike track at Dean Park North of Richmond Road just before Xmas. I was doing a morning ride and my front wheel fell into the gap of the man whole. I came off at 38kmh and dameged two new wheels, Velocity fusion rims with Suntour Cyclone hubs just built. Tore my new Continental cycling jersey and bibknicks. I scrapped my chin, elbows, wrists and knees only. I thought I would do this ride before work.

When I approached Westlink M7 for the replacement of clothing and wheels and a few minor things. I was told that Westlink had performed their safety checks and found no problem and believe the man hole was accessed by unauthorised people and Westlink cannot be held liable.

I have all the photos and the letter from Westlink.

I think I will stick to the roads around Windsor, Richmond and Penrith at least I know I will be safer on the roads because I expect to be injured by drivers so I can plan for it. I do on average 200kms a week around the Hawkesbury.

On the M7 bike track you wouldn't expect it so you don't plan for it.
ie wire across path, teenagers on motor bikes stealing peoples ipods,etc, stones being thrown at cyclists, and accessing manholes or setting up man holes as booby traps.
roadkisser
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:08 pm

Re: Post your M7 experiences

Postby wombatK » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:54 pm

roadkisser wrote:Hi,
I had a major experience on the Bike track at Dean Park North of Richmond Road just before Xmas. I was doing a morning ride and my front wheel fell into the gap of the man whole. I came off at 38kmh and dameged two new wheels, Velocity fusion rims with Suntour Cyclone hubs just built. Tore my new Continental cycling jersey and bibknicks. I scrapped my chin, elbows, wrists and knees only. I thought I would do this ride before work.

When I approached Westlink M7 for the replacement of clothing and wheels and a few minor things. I was told that Westlink had performed their safety checks and found no problem and believe the man hole was accessed by unauthorised people and Westlink cannot be held liable.

I have all the photos and the letter from Westlink.

I think I will stick to the roads around Windsor, Richmond and Penrith at least I know I will be safer on the roads because I expect to be injured by drivers so I can plan for it. I do on average 200kms a week around the Hawkesbury.

On the M7 bike track you wouldn't expect it so you don't plan for it.
ie wire across path, teenagers on motor bikes stealing peoples ipods,etc, stones being thrown at cyclists, and accessing manholes or setting up man holes as booby traps.

Shocking experience Roadkisser - probably very lucky to get out of it so lightly.

It seemed things had settled down a bit in that area - thanks to some renewed police patrols. A forum member here is involved in doing these - I understand the police are patrolling at least once a month, more regularly in school holidays. You'll see posts related to this in the M7 Safety Alert Thread

It would be good if you could add a post to the M7 Safety Alert Thread with more specific details of the date and time of the incident. I've also made up google map where you could add a flag marking the location of the manhole - would be very helpful for others to know where the local jerks are making trouble. It's editable by anyone. M7 Safety Alert Google Map. I've put a marker on it with my best guess of where it happened from what you've reported so far.

Almost lastly, and probably the most important, make sure you report it to the police - they are taking a very active interest and have been very supportive.

Have you lodged a claim on Westlink's insurer ? I don't think they can wipe their hands of this so easily, particularly with the history in that area. If the manhole covers can and have been removed, they need to address it and be given the necessary legal prompt.

Thank you for posting this, and welcome to the forums. Hope your future experiences here are about something less worrying !
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
User avatar
wombatK
 
Posts: 5303
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Yagoona, AU

Re: Post your M7 experiences

Postby ruscook » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:07 pm

wow roadkisser, that sounds really bad glad you weren't seriously injured. I ride the roads between Rooty Hill - Penrith - Richmond a bit and the M7 cycleway. Overall I think the roads more dangerous overall. You are right though, we need to be vigiliant and expect the unexpected everywhere to survive. Enjoy your riding and here's hoping it's less eventfull in the future.
Image
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad
ruscook
 
Posts: 2338
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:59 pm
Location: Tregear, NSW

Re: Post your M7 experiences

Postby PHL » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:56 pm

ruscook wrote:Overall I think the roads more dangerous overall. You are right though, we need to be vigiliant and expect the unexpected everywhere to survive. Enjoy your riding and here's hoping it's less eventfull in the future.


Found the roadway on the M7 to have fewer puncture problems than the bikepath; at least on the road you are on the lookout for glass etc, whereas on the bikepath having to concentrate on oncoming and corners, I tend not to look down as much.
PHL
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:12 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Post your M7 experiences

Postby leximack » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:10 pm

sorry to hear about your experience but the man hole covers have been there for ages, some have gaps, some dont.
Just avoid all of them, either go around it if you can or over it in the middle, never on the edges.
No different to manhole covers on roads on the grate thingies in the gutters, just avoid them.
I prefer to dodge manhole covers then cars doing 100km/h on the shoulder.
But dont want to start a debate, ride where YOU think is best for yourself.

Don
User avatar
leximack
 
Posts: 3358
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:14 pm

Re: Post your M7 experiences

Postby wombatK » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:12 pm

leximack wrote:No different to manhole covers on roads on the grate thingies in the gutters, just avoid them.

There are different types of manhole covers - on almost all roads you would find a gas-tight fit manhole cover. Not one that a vandal could shift to make a 1 inch gap.

While you and I might be careful to avoid edges of covers, newbies and youngsters might not (particularly if riding in a group or passing someone). Given the history of man-traps in this area, it would be reasonable for Westlink to upgrade the type of manhole covers here.

It's dissappointing that their security patrols hadn't noticed the issue with the covers and reported it to get it fixed - particularly if there's more than one affected as spiza suggests. That might be an improvement opportunity for the patrols.

Overall the cycleway is safer than roads, just needs some tweaking when things like this happen.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
User avatar
wombatK
 
Posts: 5303
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Yagoona, AU

Re: Post your M7 experiences

Postby Rockford » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:13 am

To the guy in the Australian Cycling jersey on the Tri bike on the M7 today that paid me a compliment while I was on my MTB, I was saying I was on the grog last night not as in 'I can go a lot faster' more that's why I was pushing myself as punishment. So I hope I didn't come across as a bit of a tosspot :oops:

Carry on, nothing more to see here... :mrgreen:
Image
User avatar
Rockford
 
Posts: 903
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:37 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Post your M7 experiences

Postby ruscook » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:34 pm

Rockford wrote:To the guy in the Australian Cycling jersey on the Tri bike on the M7 today that paid me a compliment while I was on my MTB, I was saying I was on the grog last night not as in 'I can go a lot faster' more that's why I was pushing myself as punishment. So I hope I didn't come across as a bit of a tosspot :oops:

Carry on, nothing more to see here... :mrgreen:

Wasn't me, but I was out on the TCR (Black/Red with blue shirt) between 730 & 10 this morning.. There were a few hardy mountain bikers though (quite big builds a couple of them too) so I wouldn't which you were.
Image
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad
ruscook
 
Posts: 2338
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:59 pm
Location: Tregear, NSW

Re: Post your M7 experiences

Postby TheIncredibleBulk » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:03 pm

One of those "hardy" blokes could have been me. First time I've been on a bike in 10 years, I've lived just off the track in Kings Parks for a year and since day one I've thought "I really should give it a try"

The short ride I did confirmed that I am ridiculously out of shape (cardio wise, most of my training is weight based)
TheIncredibleBulk
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:58 pm

Re: Post your M7 experiences

Postby wombatK » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:04 pm

TheIncredibleBulk wrote:One of those "hardy" blokes could have been me. First time I've been on a bike in 10 years, I've lived just off the track in Kings Parks for a year and since day one I've thought "I really should give it a try"

The short ride I did confirmed that I am ridiculously out of shape (cardio wise, most of my training is weight based)

Welcome to BNA IncredibleBulk. As for the cardio fitness, would expect your anaerobic fitness would be good from weight based training, although aerobic fitness or endurance mightn't be quite so well honed. The only cure for that is lots more practice on the bike or running track. Hope you enjoyed your ride, and get out on the cycleway more often. It really is a hidden gem.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
User avatar
wombatK
 
Posts: 5303
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Yagoona, AU

Re: Post your M7 experiences

Postby TheIncredibleBulk » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:12 pm

Yeah I'm a bigger bloke (slimmed down 25kg in the past year though) but that was through diet and mostly weight based training. I was walking regularly but got quickly bored with it haha

I enjoyed the ride (even though it was a short one). I figure that by using the track, I can set myself goal distances for each week (or quicker depending on how often I go out). My ride today was just a round trip between my house in Kings Park, up onto the track and then to the Quakers Parkway and back.
TheIncredibleBulk
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:58 pm

Re: Post your M7 experiences

Postby wombatK » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:55 pm

TheIncredibleBulk wrote:Yeah I'm a bigger bloke (slimmed down 25kg in the past year though) but that was through diet and mostly weight based training. I was walking regularly but got quickly bored with it haha

I enjoyed the ride (even though it was a short one). I figure that by using the track, I can set myself goal distances for each week (or quicker depending on how often I go out). My ride today was just a round trip between my house in Kings Park, up onto the track and then to the Quakers Parkway and back.

Well done on the weight loss. You've used a great strategy, starting with walking and progressing to more vigorous pursuits. And you've combined exercise with diet changes. Very well proven strategies.

Walking doesn't have to be boring - options like bush-walking, or coastal walks can make it more interesting; incidental walks to shops can be much more interesting than the equivalent drive. And quite a few walkers and joggers use the M7 cycleway. But I have to admit, I find cycling the least boring way of exercising as well as it being kindest to older joints.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
User avatar
wombatK
 
Posts: 5303
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Yagoona, AU

Re: Post your M7 experiences

Postby TheIncredibleBulk » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:09 am

wombatK wrote:
TheIncredibleBulk wrote:I find cycling the least boring way of exercising as well as it being kindest to older joints


Key reason I stopped was due to excessive blistering on my feet and pain in my ankles from the impact of walking / running. At least with riding, it's only muscular pain from having to haul myself along the path haha
TheIncredibleBulk
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:58 pm

Re: Post your M7 experiences

Postby TheIncredibleBulk » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:51 pm

Went out for the second time on the M7 track tonight. Did the same distance (about 5km) but this time, no passing out after getting home haha

It's going to be a hard slog to build up my stamina
TheIncredibleBulk
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:58 pm

Re: Post your M7 experiences

Postby wombatK » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:01 pm

TheIncredibleBulk wrote:Went out for the second time on the M7 track tonight. Did the same distance (about 5km) but this time, no passing out after getting home haha

It's going to be a hard slog to build up my stamina

Keep at it, and you'll be surprised how quickly it builds up. Just add 1 km each time to your trip, and maybe when you get to 15 or 20, you can try adding 5 km every few days.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
User avatar
wombatK
 
Posts: 5303
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Yagoona, AU

Re: Post your M7 experiences

Postby Boognoss » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:22 pm

TheIncredibleBulk wrote:Went out for the second time on the M7 track tonight. Did the same distance (about 5km) but this time, no passing out after getting home haha

It's going to be a hard slog to build up my stamina


To mangle a quote from a good animated movie "just keep riding, just keep riding". ;)

In my first couple of months with my bike back at the end of 2007 I was lucky to do rides of 15-20km. Then I picked it up with some full M7 cycleway rides at about 102km all up and hit 1000km for the month of December. Have since covered over 23000km. With the passion (or obsession in my case) you'll get fitter and cover longer distances. The M7 cycleway is a very rare jewel of infrastructure in a pretty average city IMO.
2011ish Avanti Quantum (DIY), 2010 Specialized Tricross, 2010 Salsa Casseroll

Image
User avatar
Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 5894
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:45 am
Location: Castle Hill, NSW

Re: Post your M7 experiences

Postby wombatK » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:17 pm

One of the great shames of the M7 cycleway is the lack of water taps or bubblers, with the only one on the cycleway being at the M7 Westlink Office just south of the M4.

At the Prestons end, there's the Maccas and adjacent servo where you can get refreshments. But until today, the northern end seemed sadly lacking. I've now been shown how to find the bubbler at the back of the tennis courts in Pearce Reserve, Kings Langley and thought it could be of interest to others.

It's about 1 km from the Old Windsor Rd exit/end of the cycleway. Just turn right (south-east) along Old Windsor Rd beside the transitway, and pick up the cycleway on the southern side of Toongabbie Creek just beyond the M7 overcrossing - the start of it's not shown on the current Googlemap, but it's not hard to find.

There is also an alternate way to it. If you look at the Googlemap, you can to get to it by riding south from the Kings Langley exit from the cycleway (although that's got nasty speed bumps all along it).

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
User avatar
wombatK
 
Posts: 5303
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Yagoona, AU

Re: Post your M7 experiences

Postby Munster » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:11 pm

Hi,

i completed my first 100km on the cycleway on Sunday and was absolutely stoked, been riding now for 4 months and have dropped 12kg to 84kg, cant believe how much cycling has done to improve my fitness and bodyshape, my next goal is to complete 160km.
2010 Giant TCR Advanced
2010 GT Avalanche 2.0

Image
User avatar
Munster
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:36 pm

Re: Post your M7 experiences

Postby tele22 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:21 pm

wombatK wrote:One of the great shames of the M7 cycleway is the lack of water taps or bubblers, with the only one on the cycleway being at the M7 Westlink Office just south of the M4.

At the Prestons end, there's the Maccas and adjacent servo where you can get refreshments. But until today, the northern end seemed sadly lacking. I've now been shown how to find the bubbler at the back of the tennis courts in Pearce Reserve, Kings Langley and thought it could be of interest to others.

It's about 1 km from the Old Windsor Rd exit/end of the cycleway. Just turn right (south-east) along Old Windsor Rd beside the transitway, and pick up the cycleway on the southern side of Toongabbie Creek just beyond the M7 overcrossing - the start of it's not shown on the current Googlemap, but it's not hard to find.

There is also an alternate way to it. If you look at the Googlemap, you can to get to it by riding south from the Kings Langley exit from the cycleway (although that's got nasty speed bumps all along it).

Cheers



Is there a way we can petition for more taps? Running out of water and cranking out the lactic acid is painful :lol:
tele22
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Post your M7 experiences

Postby Boognoss » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:05 pm

tele22 wrote:Is there a way e can petition for more taps? Running out of water and cranking out the lactic acid is painful :lol:


I doubt it. I read somewhere that the M7 wouldn't install more along the path for security reasons (of the taps no doubt). Seeing the bubbler and tap have been heavily vandalised within 50m of the M7 office front doors makes me think there's no hope at all. :roll:

I have noticed one additional sign recently along the cycleway in Glendenning indicating food and toilets 1.6km from the cycle path, so hopefully more of those will be added to indicate where facilities are.
2011ish Avanti Quantum (DIY), 2010 Specialized Tricross, 2010 Salsa Casseroll

Image
User avatar
Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 5894
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:45 am
Location: Castle Hill, NSW

Re: Post your M7 experiences

Postby wombatK » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:02 pm

Boognoss wrote:
tele22 wrote:Is there a way e can petition for more taps? Running out of water and cranking out the lactic acid is painful :lol:


I doubt it. I read somewhere that the M7 wouldn't install more along the path for security reasons (of the taps no doubt). Seeing the bubbler and tap have been heavily vandalised within 50m of the M7 office front doors makes me think there's no hope at all. :roll:

I have noticed one additional sign recently along the cycleway in Glendenning indicating food and toilets 1.6km from the cycle path, so hopefully more of those will be added to indicate where facilities are.

You're probably right Simon, but there are more vandal proof bubblers than the type installed at the M7 office. Leichardt Council recently installed one at the city end of the bridge across Hawthorn Canal (end of Lilyfield Rd) that looks like it'd take more than a sledge hammer to move it.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
User avatar
wombatK
 
Posts: 5303
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Yagoona, AU

Re: Post your M7 experiences

Postby Alycat » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:14 am

Went for a short recovery ride down the cycleway this morning. About 9:00, right at the Eastern end, hear the familiar buzz of one of those petrol scooters, seen a few lately on the cycleway... but this young kid has a small surfboard strapped across his back, continued to just drive fast down the cycleway, not giving enough room as he passed and almost collecting riders and pedestrians as he goes. :shock:
Problem with acronyms is one acronym can have several meanings.. so I joined USA, Unique Standard Acronyms which is enforcing one acronym=one meaning.... powerful group, I saw Obama is president...
Alycat
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Winston Hills, Sydney, Australia

Re: Post your M7 experiences

Postby nickj_d » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:08 am

Is it just me, or are the cracks in the pavement gotten much worse recently. Flying down from Elizabeth Drive heading south on Thursday night, I was very put off by the longitudinal cracks. They have been sealed, but seem to be opening more. I had thoughts rushing through my head of getting a front wheel caught in a rut at high speed.

Maybe they've always been there and I've never noticed. But now that they're in my head, I'm gonna be paranoid about them.
2006 Giant OCR Comp
2010 Felt TK2
2010 Niner 29'er
User avatar
nickj_d
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:37 am
Location: Sydney - Kellyville Ridge

Re: Post your M7 experiences

Postby Alycat » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:08 pm

nickj_d wrote:Is it just me, or are the cracks in the pavement gotten much worse recently. Flying down from Elizabeth Drive heading south on Thursday night, I was very put off by the longitudinal cracks. They have been sealed, but seem to be opening more. I had thoughts rushing through my head of getting a front wheel caught in a rut at high speed.

Maybe they've always been there and I've never noticed. But now that they're in my head, I'm gonna be paranoid about them.
I did the cycleway end-to-end and back on Thursday (puff, puff, 90k), my first thoughts were that the cyclepath has a lot less cracks heading south past about Elizabeth Drive (but a lot more hills :evil: ), didn't notice cracks were wide, mind you I was starting to feel it bit heading back up the climbs to Elizabeth Drive :lol:
Problem with acronyms is one acronym can have several meanings.. so I joined USA, Unique Standard Acronyms which is enforcing one acronym=one meaning.... powerful group, I saw Obama is president...
Alycat
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Winston Hills, Sydney, Australia

PreviousNext

Return to New South Wales

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


PM Issues
Known Bug - error message displayed when sending PM's caused by tapatalk. Read more


Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit