Fernleigh cycling track

breezer1

Re: Stage 5 Fernleigh cycling track

Postby breezer1 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:20 pm

speedoss wrote:Been on the Track every day this week and the new section is proving to be popular, lots of families out on it on Friday, Show day.
Good to see people out there enjoying it. 8)
I wonder when it will be extended to Swansea. When I spoke to Robert Coombs last year he said he was all for pushing for it to be extended.
the best thing about the section between jewells and belmont is it is not suitable for training to the A graders as there are too many bends and the corrugated concrete area is not suitable either, so they stop at jewells and turnaround and go back towards adamstown, your speed on this new section is restricted .... so that alone could be a good thing for casual riders/walkers etc.

speedoss

Land slip Re: Fernleigh cycling track

Postby speedoss » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:03 pm

The Landslip onto the train tracks at the area at the back of Park Rd Kotara should be cleaned up by June the Council says.

speedoss

Stage5 Picture of the latest Section of Fernleigh cycling t

Postby speedoss » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:17 am

If you have not had the chance to ride or walk on Stage 5 of the track between Jewells and Belmont you can see pictures of how it looks at this link.
Is an interesting section, that ends by Belmont TAFE.

https://picasaweb.google.com/fernleigh. ... march2010#

I hope the link works.

sjw0410

Re: Fernleigh cycling track

Postby sjw0410 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:29 pm

I tried out the whole thing for the first time today. It was great! :D

Crowella

Postby Crowella » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:50 pm

Thought I'd do a round trip on it today for my first intro into 40km rides. Broadmeadow to Belmont and back up to Newcastle Uni.

I absolutely loved every bit of this track. Everyone on it was very courteous and it looked like it is being very well maintained. Did have to stop for a truck clearing a side of a hill about half way down but aside that it was a very smooth run. I thought coming back from Belmont would be hell but it wasn't too bad. Saw quite a few riders doing some form of training on it. That and a lot of casual walkers and riders so turns out most sides are in favour. :)

Slightly wider than I was expecting too and the water fountains on occasion were brilliant for the bottle top up on the way back. Must say I really like what the councils have done. Refreshing experience :D

That all said, wish I lived closer to this track to do it more often but it was worth coming up for my morning off Uni to do something new.

The Walrus

Fernleigh cycling track

Postby The Walrus » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:36 pm

The Walrus wrote:I hit the track yesterday and although that hill from Redhead is tough going for me I managed the 32k's round trip
Out again today and flew up the hill like it wasn't there! I think it was a combination of better prep (decent breakfast), having company, being fitter and correct gear selection. It just felt almost easy!
Never underestimate the power of ignorance

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:36 am

From Redhead up to Whitebridge? I actually reckon the grind up from Adamstown to the tunnel is a harder slog.

Nice ride though and a good way to spend an hour and a half.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

speedoss

Track grade Re: Fernleigh cycling track

Postby speedoss » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:07 am

Whitebridge is 99 metres above sea level the highest point on the track I believe.
Adamstown to Whitebridge is 4 kms and Adamstown is at 37 metres above sea level
Redhead to Whitebridge is 4 kms and Redhead is at 17 metres above sea level.
So Redhead to Whitebridge is the route that climbs the most.
I always felt the Redhead to Whitebridge was a longer climb, but I tend to cycle the other direction most of the time.

Kaete

Postby Kaete » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:11 pm

Having been ill for a number of months, today, Sunday, has been the first time I've been bicycling a day any more than six or so kilometres. I spent this morning riding the Fernleigh track, Adamstown, to Belmont, and return.

It was a lovely trip, and peaceful, albeit on the other hand, disconcerting, in that I wasn't faced, as usual I am, with cars, buses, and trucks, and the noise of them each produces.

Those who contributed to the Fernleigh bicycle track idea, development, and completion, have my admiration, and major thanks. Whilst there have been some criticisms of the cycleway- for instance, pertaining the concreted parts, nearer Belmont, and the narrower width in some sections of the cycleway, cf, with others- and, whilst there may be room for other improvements, on the whole its a very wonderful achievement.

We do need, I suggest, to very constantly remember, that the Fernleigh track cycleway is shared cyclists and pedestrian access. Further, that we cyclists need be mindful of the safety issues inherent our riding. Three times today, on the Fernleigh bicycle track, I observed, very near accidents, when cyclists, traveling at high speed, narrowly avoided hitting both pedestrians and young children on bikes. This is not good.

Kind regards,

Kaete Walker,
Past former Secretary/Executive Member, Bicycle Federation of Australia.
Mobile Tel: 0407 176 786
Email: mytanwy@gmail.com

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:07 pm

Well, Kaete, welcome to the BNA forums and great that you got out for a good ride on a terrific track.

I personally second your comments and believe that the track can be enjoyed AND shared by everyone, whether they are on two wheels or two legs.

I also believe that the Fernleigh Track, along with the Warners Bay Foreshore track, is one of the greatest public assets Greater Newcastle has and I believe we are all responsible for making sure it stays that way.

Hope to see you out on the track sometime, Kaete.

Kaete

Postby Kaete » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:16 pm

Many thanks, Gorilla Monsoon.

I do think we need to mutually safeguard our own reputation, as cyclists, by seeking to modify the actions of those cyclists who threaten our general image. The cyclists who, by dangerous riding style, and whom very narrowly miss hitting pedestrians, adults and children alike, frighten, or unerve them, I suggest, do the rest of us a major diservice.

well wishes all,
Kaete Walker,
Past former Secretary/Executive Member, Bicycle Federation of Australia.
Mobile Tel: 0407 176 786
Email: mytanwy@gmail.com

PS. Notice, below, of an upcoming forum which may be of interest. Apologies to folk who may have already seen.

Bike City forum - planning a liveable city
When: Wednesday, 13 April 2011
Times: 5:30pm to 8.15pm
Where: Fort Scratchley Function Centre, Newcastle, NSW
Cost: $30. Concession: $10

A city easily accessed by walking and cycling is a safer, more attractive destination.

The forum will address the key role that cycling can play in providing practical urban transport, reducing impact on our environment and improving health for all ages.

Guest speakers include two of Australia's leading experts in bicycle planning:

Fiona Campbell, Manager, Cycling Strategy, City of Sydney, will give us insight into her experiences developing Sydney's cycling infrastructure: the vision, strategic planning, facilities design and community engagement. Fiona will address their achievements and challenges - great experiences for Newcastle to draw upon.

Omar Khalifa, CEO of Bicycle NSW will speak about how we can translate the widespread support for cycling into action. He'll address opportunities for overcoming obstacles and reaping the benefits of setting and achieving ambitious targets for cycling.

This forum is organised by the Hunter Cycle Planning Network - an alliance of cycling, planning and ESD professionals.
It is presented specifically for people engaged in policy development, urban and transport planning, community health and sustainability.
The number of attendees will be strictly limited to facilitate opportunities for questions and discussion.

Registration is essential. Contact Bernard Hockings (Hunter Cycle Planning Network).

phone: 0438 556 378
email: bikecity@pacific.net.au

For brochure (680kb pdf download), click on: http://www.architecture.com.au/i-cms_fi ... Invite.pdf

speedoss

Signs and the Fernleigh cycling track

Postby speedoss » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:47 am

Unlike the Fernleigh Track some Sydney bike routes do have direction signs :-)
Enjoy the track every one. I am in Sydney for a few weeks, a lot harder to cycle around here than the Newcastle area.

Kraeg

Postby Kraeg » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:01 pm

I'm planning to ride this track this week sometime (depending on this weather)... catching a train to Adamstown and riding down to Belmont. From there, I am considering the Pacific Highway and Wyee Road to Wyee station. What's the road/traffic like along that route? Or would riding back up the track to Adamstown be a better idea?

albe

Postby albe » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:12 am

i wouldn't take wyee road from the pacific, its pretty dire as far as 'road shoulders' go on the two hills there. Where are u going from the station? Sounds like a return trip back up Fernleigh to adamstown would be better. It's a nice ride in both directions.

I go up to Fernleigh and back from Budgewoi and its a nice ride along the highway. But i'd never brave Wyee road. Other option would be going via Mannering Park from the pacific highway to get to Morrisset station. That is if u need to head south.

boltoba

Postby boltoba » Tue May 17, 2011 6:59 pm

Does anyone do a regular ride up the Ferneligh track?

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed May 18, 2011 12:45 pm

boltoba wrote:Does anyone do a regular ride up the Ferneligh track?
Many people. Up and back down again. Swap PMs with Breezer 1.

albe

Postby albe » Thu May 19, 2011 8:38 am

Move for Fernleigh extension
BY BEN SMEE
17 May, 2011 04:00 AM
BETTER parking, signage and other facilities are needed on the Fernleigh Track says Newcastle councillor Aaron Buman, who has called for planning to extend the bicycle path into the city.
Cr Buman and Cr Mike King have tabled a notice of motion for tonight's council meeting that proposes reforming a joint Fernleigh Track committee with Lake Macquarie City Council.

One of the purposes of the committee would be to investigate extending the track from Adamstown alongside the existing rail line.

"It may take five to 10 years as part of the renewal of Newcastle, but we've got to have a plan," Cr Buman said.

His suggestion is to extend the track to Islington, via Woodville Junction, so it joins up with other cycleways, including the path from Islington through Honeysuckle and along the foreshore.

"The route would utilise unused land immediately east of the railway corridor to Broadmeadow and would require realignment of the existing fence," the notice of motion states.

It details how the cycleway could connect at Woodville Junction to an off-road cycleway along the existing rail corridor to the CBD, subject to a decision on the future of the Newcastle rail line.

Cr Buman said he was excited about the prospect of an entirely off-road cycleway that extended from the CBD to the Fernleigh Track.

Issues such as inadequate signage, as well as a lack of toilets and other facilities, needed attention, he said.

The motion calls for distance and landmark signage along the track, the expansion of the car park at Yuelarbah and the possible installation of a small cafe.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/ ... 64807.aspx

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu May 19, 2011 12:31 pm

Five to 10 years means 25 to 30 years in NCC speak and I reckon Cr Buman would have first dibs on that small cafe which wouldn't be a bad thing (Bogey Hole II?).

Go Cr Buman, I say. And while NCC is extending the track into the city centre Lake Macquarie Council can work on two extensions, the first joining Fernleigh Track with the shared path around the top of Lake Mcquarie and the second to extend that track all the way through to Toronto from where it currently terminates at Booragul.

Now that would be a sensational bike ride!

What a great way to spend a Sunday, packing a picnic lunch and heading-off on the bikes for a nice spot somewhere along the track.

Maybe all of us who regularly ride in the Greater Newcastle area should be getting-up a petition to serve on the elected officials of our two major councils.

boltoba

Postby boltoba » Thu May 19, 2011 6:20 pm

I'm gunna give it a go on Sat morn with the mrs and maybe a couple of mates.

Kraeg

Postby Kraeg » Thu May 19, 2011 9:14 pm

I still haven't tried it since my plan to do so... it rained much of that week but I also worked out that the times I wanted to leave and arrive home would have meant I'd have had 20 minutes to cycle it down then back. It'll also involve 6 different train services (onya, CityRail).
I think what I'll plan for is a weekend and leave home early, and probably ride from Broadmeadow.

albe

Postby albe » Fri May 20, 2011 7:43 am

went up last week, ended up driving up and parking at belmont ... point being was to allow a bit more time to explore Glenrock which is at the northern end of Fernleigh. There's some decent off-road trails going from that car park at Yuelarbah, through to Burwood beach i think it was. Got lost a few times, looks like there's a bunch more there to check out.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Fri May 20, 2011 5:13 pm

boltoba wrote:I'm gunna give it a go on Sat morn with the mrs and maybe a couple of mates.
The full return trip is 32km, should take you a very easy one-and-a-half hours.

The Walrus

Fernleigh cycling track

Postby The Walrus » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:08 pm

Had a delightful ride from Adamstown to Belmont today to shed some of those extra calories I've been collecting over the last few days! Such a great bonus to have and good to see loads of people doing the same...not many smiles though!
Never underestimate the power of ignorance

speedoss

Smile and the Fernleigh cycling track

Postby speedoss » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:41 am

The Walrus wrote:Had a delightful ride from Adamstown to Belmont today to shed some of those extra calories I've been collecting over the last few days! Such a great bonus to have and good to see loads of people doing the same...not many smiles though!
Long time between the last post and your post, glad you enjoyed the ride.
I cycle the track 4 or 5 times a week, most weeks it is fairly well used I find. Sure is quiet on rainy days though, not many people venture out in the rain. Those out on the track on the wet days seems to have big smiles and enjoy being out in the rain.
Enjoy the rides

Jake

Postby Jake » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:26 pm

Saw a rider down on the FT this arvo, the poor guy looked in a bad way. Already plenty of people looking after him so I just cruised on. Would be good to know he is ok if anyone knows anything about it.

He was still there when I came back past on my way home a while later, the ambulance just turning up.
Trek Madone 5.5 - 2009
Epic Expert 29er - 2012