Fernleigh cycling track

Bingis

Re: Fernleigh cycling track

Postby Bingis » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:06 pm

breezer1 wrote: GOOD NEWS THE REDHEAD TO JEWELLS SECTION IS "OPEN TO PUBLIC"AS FROM 10 AM TODAY,THE SITE MANAGER AND COUNCIL INSPECTOR SIGNED OFF AS I WAS COMING BACK FROM ADAMSTOWN.ALL GATES HAVE BEEN REMOVED
awesome! just in time for a wet weekend :D

breezer1

Postby breezer1 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:54 pm

bingis wrote:
I've probably passed you a few times :wink:
keep an eye out for me and this bike,a gold giant tcr and stop and say hello! :D
Last edited by breezer1 on Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

da-man

Postby da-man » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:21 pm

breezer1 wrote: GOOD NEWS THE REDHEAD TO JEWELLS SECTION IS "OPEN TO PUBLIC"AS FROM 10 AM TODAY,THE SITE MANAGER AND COUNCIL INSPECTOR SIGNED OFF AS I WAS COMING BACK FROM ADAMSTOWN.ALL GATES HAVE BEEN REMOVED
Yes I rode home from work today AND THE FENCES HAVE BEEN REMOVED!!!!! It's been ready for a while but they've been doing fiddly little jobs for the last couple weeks.

Bingis

Postby Bingis » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:40 pm

Hmmm maybe I am riding the wrong way :?: Went out on sunday and there's still the dirt road and fence up, its as you cross the road somewhere out near Redhead. There is a split in the path somewhere before hand - but I always assumed it went up to the road?

da-man

Postby da-man » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:14 pm

Bingis wrote:Hmmm maybe I am riding the wrong way :?: Went out on sunday and there's still the dirt road and fence up, its as you cross the road somewhere out near Redhead. There is a split in the path somewhere before hand - but I always assumed it went up to the road?
The part that is open now (officially) is from Redhead to Jewells. The only dirt road is the track going from Jewell's to Belmont. It will be about 3km. I used to run and ride that track for the last 4 years when it was dirt, sand and a couple of rusted out girders for a bridge. This part is scheduled to be completed at the end of the year so I reckon that means Feb or March.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:06 pm

Bingis wrote:Hmmm maybe I am riding the wrong way :?: Went out on sunday and there's still the dirt road and fence up, its as you cross the road somewhere out near Redhead. There is a split in the path somewhere before hand - but I always assumed it went up to the road?
Why not start at Adamstown and see how far south you can get? When you run out of bitumen (or concrete) you will know where the end of the track is! :D Then you can ride back to Adamstown. About 24km for the round trip, from memory.

See you all on the (extended) track.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

breezer1

Postby breezer1 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:17 pm

well someone decided they wanted a BRIDGE that is up near the belmont end...as it was on the ABC news this morning,
THAT IT WAS STOLEN LAST NIGHT? :roll:
the track at the moment finishes at jewells/kalaroo road,the sand track opposite is the jewells to belmont...to be open by xmas

Bingis

Postby Bingis » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:05 am

gorilla monsoon wrote:
Why not start at Adamstown and see how far south you can get? When you run out of bitumen (or concrete) you will know where the end of the track is! :D Then you can ride back to Adamstown. About 24km for the round trip, from memory.

See you all on the (extended) track.
Done it a few times, start at Mayfield though and ride to Adamstown, then Fernleigh and back again. I checked my GPS track and it says Redhead, but I don't know that area very well.

@bridge thing: can't fathom why someone would want to disassemble and steal a bridge?!? And to get it apart and loaded in the dark...

da-man

Postby da-man » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:40 pm

Done it a few times, start at Mayfield though and ride to Adamstown, then Fernleigh and back again. I checked my GPS track and it says Redhead, but I don't know that area very well.

@bridge thing: can't fathom why someone would want to disassemble and steal a bridge?!? And to get it apart and loaded in the dark...
We live close to where the track finishes and we live in Belmont North and the roundabout is commonly referred to Jewell's roundabout. So the track terminates at Belmont North at the moment and will soon go all the way through to Belmont South.

The last part will be open January sometime. Originally they said before Christmas but now it is delayed another month.

It was only the temporary plywood bridge they used to cart supplies over. While it is a nuisance it doesn't set them back any.

breezer1

Postby breezer1 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:49 pm

da man where abouts are you,keen to catchup and go for a few rides ocassionally!,pm if anyone close to jewells is keen also,would be good to get a group ride happening!
check out my signature for a new forum for newcastle riders!

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:59 am

Guys, we have to be a bit careful on the track. On Saturday Mrs Monsoon and I came across a pedestrian, an elderly lady, who had been hit by a rider. Her face was pretty messed-up and she'd had a tooth knocked-out and the discussion with others who had arrived there before we did seemed to suggest that the rider was at fault.

Another rider was suggesting to the lady that she needed to get the alleged culprit's details and report the incident to police. Not knowing the full details we stayed out of it but the thing is riders on the track have a pretty ordinary rep and we don't want it to get worse.

The last thing we need is militant peds or, worse, sabotage that could cause equipment damage or personal injuries.

Let's rachet it down a notch or two and be a bit courteous to our pedestrian friends.

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:47 pm

I agree with that sentiment. Take it easy and be courteous to the pedestrians - most are friendly and helpful provided you don't do stupid things to them.

Track is awesome and I ride it either in training or with the family fairly regularly - Belmont extension will be awesome. It is just a shame it has to end at Adamstown and not continue further into Newcastle as an off road resource.

breezer1

Postby breezer1 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:02 pm

check out this new place for group rides for local's near fernleigh track
http://biker.forumotion.com/index.htm

speedoss

Fernleigh cycling track

Postby speedoss » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:20 pm

The Fernleigh Track is open from Adamstown to Jewells as to Dec 10th 2010.
Stage 5 from Jewells to Belmont is said to be open early next year but from the look of things at the Jewells end that seems unlikely. It appears that they built some gabion retaining walls then took them all down again and started again with new gabion walls. Seems the design or construction did not go to plan.

speedoss

Fernleigh cycling track and lack of signs

Postby speedoss » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:58 pm

Great track nice ride and lots of shade in sections. As it follows an old rail line is not very steep so a fairly easy ride.
To bad that for all the money spent on the track they forgot to allocate money for signs to direct people to the track from major roads.
Plus very few signs along the track indicating places along the way, and only one sign that mentions distances, pretty bad planning.
Would be good if cyclist passing through the area could see some signs directing them off to the Pacific Highway and onto this excellent safe, car and truck fee track.
As they say a picture says a 1000 words, this is the start of the track at Adamstown, no signs indicating where the track goes or how far anything is

speedoss

Fernleigh cycling track as of Dec 13th 2010

Postby speedoss » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:46 pm

What few signs marked the start of the Fernleigh Track are now no longer there.
Hopefully the council is going to put up some useful, destination and distance signs.
No harm in hoping.

breezer1

Postby breezer1 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:51 pm

If they put signs up we won't be able to use the track, as even now it get's crowded, and if it was advertised too much you wont be able to move on the track at weekend's :D

speedoss

Postby speedoss » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:58 pm

breezer1 wrote:If they put signs up we won't be able to use the track, as even now it get's crowded, and if it was advertised too much you wont be able to move on the track at weekend's :D
Seems a bit mean spirited, great asset more should be able to find and make good use of. I use it most weekday morning and it is pretty quiet.

breezer1

Postby breezer1 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:05 pm

yeah i use it most day's, if you wait till after 9.00am you normally can get a good ride!, but really it is funny that they don't sign post it, they are pretty slow :shock: , as they still haven't officially opened redhead to jewells section yet :D

speedoss

Fernleigh cycling track

Postby speedoss » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:51 pm

breezer1 wrote:yeah i use it most day's, if you wait till after 9.00am you normally can get a good ride!, but really it is funny that they don't sign post it, they are pretty slow :shock: , as they still haven't officially opened redhead to Jewells section yet :D
Seems like really bad planning to spend millions on a bikeway and not think to put signs up from at least the Pacific Highway to direct people passing through or new to the area onto the track. Is a way safer place to cycle than the Pacific Highway.
To date My email to the Mayor of Lake Macquarie City Council about the lack of signs has gone unanswered.
At the junction of Wommara Ave and Pacific Highway Belmont North there is no sign directing anyone to the Fernleigh Track. Scout Hall yea but bike track No.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:11 pm

You might try redirecting your email to the correct department (Parks and Gardens). last time I looked the mayor didn't actully erect signs. You might also consider the track is jointly managed by Newcastle City Council as well AFAIK so an email to their department could be useful.

That said, there are quite a few things that go unsignposted around the Hunter. They probably figure that the locals know where they are and don't care all that much for anyone else.

That's an observation, by the way, not a statement of fact.

breezer1

Postby breezer1 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:33 pm

newcastle don't have anyone capable of planning anything! :oops: .... but your right the pacific hwy at redhead turnoff would be a good place for sign to fernleigh cycleway, may save someone's life instead of them having to ride up the highway towards newcastle cbd.

speedoss

Fernleigh cycling track bad design

Postby speedoss » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:50 pm

breezer1 wrote:newcastle don't have anyone capable of planning anything! :oops: .... but your right the pacific hwy at redhead turnoff would be a good place for sign to fernleigh cycleway, may save someone's life instead of them having to ride up the highway towards newcastle cbd.
Exactly my thoughts to Breezer, seems the governments of all levels are more about seeing to be doing something than actually doing the right thing and think it through properly.
Sadly it is not Just Newcastle that has bad planning, was in Tasmania for 3 years and they come up with some pretty strange plans there too.
They did have a City bikeway that followed the rail line and it was must better sign posted along the way with distances and direction signs.
Was in Brisbane before that and the bikeways were all in short sections much of which did not join up.
Painting a few lines on a road seemed to be some planners idea of a bike way.
Talking of bad planing what were they thinking with those strange swinging gates the section to Redhead. They sure weren't designed by a bike rider, they aren't even all the same size.

breezer1

Postby breezer1 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:35 pm

Yeah,i came across one halfway up the first section at redhead, near the end of the houses, and i had to lift my bike over to get onto the track, i know there to stop other vehicle/motor bikes etc, but you cant get a push bike through there turnstiles :oops: we have educated idiot's that sit behind desk's and plan these thing's, and really they are the total joke of the cities planning! :evil:

speedoss

Postby speedoss » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:47 pm

breezer1 wrote:Yeah,i came across one halfway up the first section at redhead, near the end of the houses, and i had to lift my bike over to get onto the track, i know there to stop other vehicle/motor bikes etc, but you cant get a push bike through there turnstiles :oops: we have educated idiot's that sit behind desk's and plan these thing's, and really they are the total joke of the cities planning! :evil:
The designers are not real world people or bike riders, the gates are not even all the same size and I see similar gates are on Stage 5 that is now being built but they are a different design again, but same stupid idea. Why gates on these sections and nowhere else, what were they thinking I wonder.
Commonsense got lost along the way somewhere it would appear.