Fernleigh cycling track

breezer1

Re: Fernleigh cycling track

Postby breezer1 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:23 am

Well i've come to the conclusion that the fernleigh track is only rideable within certain hours, the amount of walkers, dogs, kids is just a real hazard some days, and its cold, always wet from being in shade all the time, ok in summer but then the crowd is the problem, i try to avoid the cycleway as much as possible and ride the bypass/hwy in towards town these days, traffic is more predictable i find! i only ride home on the cycleway if its in the middle of the day and its hot, just to get some of the shade on the way home from a good ride and its mainly downhill to belmont :)

The Walrus

Fernleigh cycling track

Postby The Walrus » Tue May 01, 2012 8:00 am

I've been getting out on the track quite a bit lately and I see your point. Saturday at around midday it was busy but not too bad.

Monday at the same time it was a breeze and almost had it to myself. Trying to do Adamstown to Belmont and back everyday at the moment on the roadie, or just as far as Redhead on the MTB if it's raining.

Of course its not perfect but I think we should be grateful we have it...I'm loving it right now
Never underestimate the power of ignorance

newie

Postby newie » Wed May 02, 2012 9:17 am

I guess it depends how you want to ride. Most days it doesn't bother me that I will have occasionally to slow down behind people for a bit until it is OK to pass. Nearly everyone who uses the track is pretty good at staying left so I don't have any dramas. If maintaining a high speed is important to you, then weekends during "normal hours" is probably not the go. Personally I love it. The peace of being away from cars, in the bush, listening to the bellbirds is fantastic. And if you push it you can get a really nice workout from Redhead up to Whitebridge.

breezer1

Postby breezer1 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:58 pm

i guess you are right that it does depend what time of day, but i like early morning, and that is when its the most dangerous, yes its good you can ride without traffic ie cars/trucks but children and dogs are unpredictable,and the amount of fast bike riders in the morning is a worry, thats why i take to the road, in the mornings and the track is too cold at least out on the bypass you are in the warm sun, but i do ride the track on the way home for the shade 8)

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu May 10, 2012 12:59 pm

breezer1 wrote:i guess you are right that it does depend what time of day, but i like early morning, and that is when its the most dangerous, yes its good you can ride without traffic ie cars/trucks but children and dogs are unpredictable,and the amount of fast bike riders in the morning is a worry, thats why i take to the road, in the mornings and the track is too cold at least out on the bypass you are in the warm sun, but i do ride the track on the way home for the shade 8)
Well, Breezer, the reason you feel the cold is because you are as skinny as a rake! You need a good feed old mate so you end up looking like me! :D

I reckon the biggest problems with the track are (a) too many peds and riders refuse to understand the idea of the word "shared" (b) too many weekend warriors think it is a Tour stage and (c) have little regard for the dividing line, preferring to force oncoming riders to slow - sometimes even stop - and move off the track.

Also, the peds like us to give the bell a bit of a ding from a few metres back yet most of us seem to lazy or too fixated to bother reaching a thumb out to the bell. How lazy is that?

Anyway, I'm hitting the track on Sunday with Mrs Monsoon. It will be her first ride back since breaking her kneecap when she fell near old Redhead station in March last year.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

breezer1

Postby breezer1 » Sun May 13, 2012 9:45 am

gorilla monsoon wrote:

Well, Breezer, the reason you feel the cold is because you are as skinny as a rake! You need a good feed old mate so you end up looking like me! :D
Anyway, I'm hitting the track on Sunday with Mrs Monsoon. It will be her first ride back since breaking her kneecap when she fell near old Redhead station in March last year.
happy riding big fellow :lol: i rode the bypass into newy, much better than the cold fernleigh track and all the traffic on it! :wink:

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Sun May 20, 2012 7:26 am

Just getting ready to go to the track now. Meeting a couple of workmates there and going for a pedal before kicking-back to watch V8 Supercars this afternoon. A good day, I reckon.

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:35 am

Been on the track a bit lately...can't believe how many grump f.....s are out there! I said hello to every rider and walker, got about 4 responses!

newie

Postby newie » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:22 pm

The Walrus wrote:Been on the track a bit lately...can't believe how many grump f.....s are out there! I said hello to every rider and walker, got about 4 responses!
It seems to be that it is so well-used these days that most people have given up on the hello or friendly nod. I quite often get into my own little world along there and don't say hi to people, although I often will when I pass another bike. It is a bit strange that people don't respond to a hello though - I always will. But I have had it happen a few times lately around town too. A "morning" as I pass is met with a strange look. I sometimes wonder whether they don't actually hear me properly and think I am telling them off or something. On the other hand, lately on the track I have had a few good chats to various random people.

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:43 am

Awesome news in todays paper. Council looking to extend the Belmont end to meet up with the Swansea path so it will be continuous from Swansea to Adamstown.

In the coming years budget!

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/12720 ... ke/?cs=391

That would take it from 15km to about 25km I think.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:10 pm

Not too many definites in that story, more possibilities than anything. Personally I reckon council has it wrong. Rather than connecting to Swansea it should be connecting to the existing Warners Bay shared path at the northern end of the lake. That path should be extended west to Toronto and south-east (ish) to meet up with Fernleigh.
At the other end Newcastle City Council should be extending the track from Adamstown into the city centre. Of course, with a property developer for mayor that is unlikely to happen.
We can only hope though.

ningnangnong

Postby ningnangnong » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:31 pm

Would be fantastic if they could connect it to the shared path around the lake, but I imagine that would be much more difficult than just simply going down to Swansea.

Either way, any extension of the track would be awesome!

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:02 pm

Fair point I suppose. It seems to me that most shared paths are viewed by councils as recreational devices rather than transport links. I sometimes wonder how many people would cycle along Fernleigh and into Newcastle or outer suburbs (as an example) if a shared path went all the way into the Hunter Street Mall area.

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:37 pm

Seems crazy to me, they only need 2 segments to complete Adamstown to Newcastle CBD on a path.

From Adamstown gates to the one just near Hunter Stadium

Then from show ground to the one near the Tech at Tighs hill.

There are a few short "challenging" sections in each but both are doable.

Getting it over to the Warners bay path would be a major challenge!

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:08 pm

Scarfy96 wrote:Getting it over to the Warners bay path would be a major challenge!
They could build parts out over the lake like a mini Seacliff Bridge. They have already done a few hundred metres like that so it is very possible. Right now LMCC and the State Government are wasting wads of money doing unnecessary roadwork on the Toronto-Morriset stretch of road and on The Esplanade at Speers Point Park.

Maybe those few millions could have been diverted into something more useful - like PSP upgrades and connections.

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:15 pm

Is there any way that the storm water drains could be used?

I mean they seem to be made for the job although I appreciate during wet weather its not possible but most people dont ride when its crazy wet weather anyway! Surely there is a way to make dual use of the drains?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:43 pm

The Walrus wrote:Is there any way that the storm water drains could be used?

I mean they seem to be made for the job although I appreciate during wet weather its not possible but most people dont ride when its crazy wet weather anyway! Surely there is a way to make dual use of the drains?
"Hey kids, never play in Stormwater drains... Bt it's ok to ride your bike there if they aren't wet"

Good to think outside the box, but I don't think this one is such a good idea.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:03 pm

bychosis wrote:
The Walrus wrote:Is there any way that the storm water drains could be used?

"Hey kids, never play in Stormwater drains... Bt it's ok to ride your bike there if they aren't wet"

Good to think outside the box, but I don't think this one is such a good idea.
I know what you mean of course, but they seem to sit there doing nothing for most of the time and they are 'sort of' ready made for the task. I'm not suggesting its a free for all but some clever town planning to make use of them. Just because everyone was told not to play in them as kids doesnt mean that it cant be changed or re-thought through...that was then and this is now, things change as in more cars and bikes are on the road.

bradey_boy

Postby bradey_boy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:14 pm

A little diversion... How annoying would I be towing my little bruiser in the Chariot trailer on a Sunday. The bike becomes a little long and wide and would hate to get people off side if it's crowded out there!

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:06 am

bradey_boy wrote:A little diversion... How annoying would I be towing my little bruiser in the Chariot trailer on a Sunday. The bike becomes a little long and wide and would hate to get people off side if it's crowded out there!
It's for everyone to enjoy...

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:23 pm

bradey_boy wrote:A little diversion... How annoying would I be towing my little bruiser in the Chariot trailer on a Sunday. The bike becomes a little long and wide and would hate to get people off side if it's crowded out there!
No more annoying than anyone else towing a little trailer and if you keep left as a courtesy then who could complain? It's not like Fernleigh is a Tour stage ------- although a few still like to think of it as that.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:30 am

Track made front page of the Newcastle Herald this morning. Peds complaining about too many cyclists on it. Cyclists complained about loose dogs and peds who don't GAF.

greatapoc

Postby greatapoc » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:53 am

Careful with your eyes while reading that article and especially the comments, they may just roll straight out of your head.

This one is worrying (how it got approved is anyones guess):

Wilshire101
The biggest problem are the lycra-clad d**kheads thundering along the path like they're in the Olympics. I'd be carrying a big stick to go through their front spokes.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:13 pm

Yes, the guy is basically admitting to premeditated assault.
Never mind, the noise will die down after this weekend's Loop the Lake. That is my guess as to where it all started, lots of people using Fernleigh Track for training (self included) in the LtL lead-up.

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:59 am

It amazes me what abuse the Herald lets through some times on their comments. Of course, they are happy with flame wares on their comments, justifies the article.

Expect at least another week of it yet, not just LTL but also Sparke Helmore triathlon the week after, plenty training for that.