Fernleigh cycling track

Bunged Knee

Re: Fernleigh cycling track

Postby Bunged Knee » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:57 pm

How many bikes will you take it to train? If it`d have 4 car train, then it`d have 2 bike hooks, 6 car train, 3 bike hooks, or 8 car train, 4 bike hooks. One bike hook on every 2nd carriages.

It`s a bit annoying to have move the bikes every time someone walks thru the carriages. Need bike friendly interurban trains.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:32 pm

Agree its a bit annoying, the Newcastle trains are the older ones that don't have a lot of space
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

newie

Postby newie » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:56 am

Keep in mind also that the train service between Sydney and Newcastle is really slow. Not all the trains stop at Adamstown either. It is a much quicker trip to drive. If you are planning on doing it on one day, you're looking at something like over 6 hours on the train, with potentially two changes each direction. Have a close look at the timetable first.

If you are up to it I would be tempted to make a weekend away of it. Newcastle is a great town with plenty to do, especially for kids. The beaches are sparkling at this time of year. The new Anzac Memorial walk is impressive. The Newcastle museum is free and has a good little hands on science section for the kids. The art gallery is only small, but is free so fine for a quick 15 minute pop-in. There are lots of other shared paths around the harbour and lake, perfect for younger riders. If the weather is good, there are plenty of good outdoor cafes and parks for picnics. Blackbutt reserve has some nice bush walks, playgrounds, BBQs and an animal reserve.

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:07 am

The Central Coast has some good riding and lovely spots as well if you wanted to break up the drive
Never underestimate the power of ignorance

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:48 am

I've taken the train to Newcastle several times, all before they killed the train line. Stayed somewhere near the CBD. Didn't take bikes. Looks like its ridable to the start of Fernleigh from accommodation that's walkable to the CBD

Getting a bit off topic with the central coast but there's a bike path that starts somewhere near Wyong, hugs the lake and finishes in The Entrance. Could do staying Sat night in The Entrance, I'd need to fit a front carrier to the BSO as their's a child seat on the back, so can't use a back pack. I've got some panniers I've never used
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

OldBloke

Postby OldBloke » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:08 am

Another cycle route you could try which is good for littlies is the Throsby Creek cycleway. Park at Islington Park, Tighes Hill, opposite the TAFE, and ride into Newcastle along Throsby Creek and the harbour foreshore. Its a flat ride of about 10km or so, there is only one road crossing (minor street) that doesn't have lights, there are three playgounds along the way, plenty of places in Newcastle to eat, you can continue on past Nobby's and Newcastle beaches, or ride out the breakwall past the lighthouse.

If you wanted to make a weekend of it there are plenty of places to stay in Newcastle CBD.

Another possiblity would be to catch the train to Hamilton (it no longer goes all the way into Newcastle, thank the Libs) and then its a short ride to the start of the Throsby Creek cycleway. It is fairly busy around Hamilton, Islington and Tighes Hill, but with littlies you can ride on the footpath.

OB

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:36 pm

I Should add, if you are at the Belmont end of the track, you can drop in on Matt Hall Racing and go for an extreme adventure in an aerobatic plane.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:19 pm

OldBloke wrote:Another cycle route you could try which is good for littlies is the Throsby Creek cycleway. Park at Islington Park, Tighes Hill, opposite the TAFE, and ride into Newcastle along Throsby Creek and the harbour foreshore. Its a flat ride of about 10km or so, there is only one road crossing (minor street) that doesn't have lights, there are three playgounds along the way, plenty of places in Newcastle to eat, you can continue on past Nobby's and Newcastle beaches, or ride out the breakwall past the lighthouse.

If you wanted to make a weekend of it there are plenty of places to stay in Newcastle CBD.

Another possiblity would be to catch the train to Hamilton (it no longer goes all the way into Newcastle, thank the Libs) and then its a short ride to the start of the Throsby Creek cycleway. It is fairly busy around Hamilton, Islington and Tighes Hill, but with littlies you can ride on the footpath.

OB
I live near the Adamstown end of the track and ride into town a lot. Depending exactly where you might stay, it should be pretty easy/safe with children to get to the track. There is a shared cycle path for a large part of the route and a road or two you might need to use pedestrian crossings...it's an easy 15 minute ride or so for you on your own.
Never underestimate the power of ignorance