Quiet Roads?

ShanDog

Quiet Roads?

Postby ShanDog » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:49 pm

I was just wondering if anyone knows if there are places to ride in Sydney with no cars? I'm not talking back streets though. I would just love to have somewhere I can ride without worrying about cars or pedestrians as such and to just focus on riding and switch off all other thoughts. do we have somewhere like this? Like maybe a very long 'bike only' path somewhere?

stated

Postby stated » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:59 pm

Maybe the m7
what time of the day you ride?

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:43 pm

Well it always varies. yesterday I rode 10:30am till 2pm but sometimes I'll ride early morning, somtimes late afternoon, and occassionaly night. It's whenever I get the urge.

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:57 pm

Sounds like what you're looking for is single track. :wink:

daacha

Postby daacha » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:00 pm

sbra9635,

I noticed you are in the hills district. You can get on the M7 near you and go on the bike track all the way to the Crossroads and back. You'll have done 90+ kms by the time you finish. Early mornings are good but at night the track is lit with a light post every 10 mtrs or so. During the day there is a bit of pedestrian traffic but at other times you'll nearly have it to yourself.

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:15 pm

alchemist wrote:Sounds like what you're looking for is single track. :wink:
Yeah definately does. Unfortunately though, I've traded in my offroad days for a fulltime roadie bike... ah well :o
daacha wrote:sbra9635,

I noticed you are in the hills district. You can get on the M7 near you and go on the bike track all the way to the Crossroads and back. You'll have done 90+ kms by the time you finish. Early mornings are good but at night the track is lit with a light post every 10 mtrs or so. During the day there is a bit of pedestrian traffic but at other times you'll nearly have it to yourself.
That sounds pretty good. I'm gonna have to look into that one. I'm at the far end of the hills district away from the M7 but its nothing a quick car trip can't fix. I'm guessing the surface can't be all that bad either because it's quite new isn't it. Cheers.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:21 pm

A good section of the road to Kernell would probably meet your requirement.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:45 pm

Yeah M7 is well worth it,I travel from Crows Nest to use the cycle path...90k's loop of bike path,no people during the week and zero cars!.
Also you could head up to Galston / Berowa Gorges...across to Bobbin Head,all pretty quiet during the week.

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:26 pm

Now I'm keen more than ever to check out the M7

Mikesbytes, where's kernell? and the road to it?

Bluerider

Postby Bluerider » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:20 pm

Tues/Wed nights (AT) Homebush are virtually car free, nice smooth roads,good street lights and lots of fun.

Kurnell is right next to the airport where the refinarys are.
His Felt Carbon F5C ' 07.....
Giant MTB
Hers Cell MTB
Kids Mongoose x 2 Tricycle x 1

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:37 pm

sbra9635 wrote:Now I'm keen more than ever to check out the M7

Mikesbytes, where's kernell? and the road to it?
You head around the back of the airport and then take either the bike path or a series of back streets to Captain Cook bridge then follow the bike route all the way to where Captain Cook landed in Aus.

Check out the RTA maps for details.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:33 am

Dunc Gray Velodrome ?
May have the odd motorcycle but definately no cars

sandman

Postby sandman » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:36 am

I'd have to say the M7 cycle track is very good ( in comparison to the general roads anyway). You can ride from Seven Hills to Prestons, not sure how long that is, googlemaps can help there.

I generally ride out from Penrith to Rooty Hill, get onto the track and go and see my folks at Quakers Hill or head down to the McCafe at Prestons for a coffee.

Equally, the Sydney Regatta Center at Penrith has a 5km circuit that is mainly flat which is an excellent track to build up speed upon.

I hope to head out around 6:00am this Sunday up the Blue Mountains, at that time o the morning, there are very few cars though the trip home can be a little "wild" on the narrow bits, especially with trucks.

Cheers..Pete