M5 Safety Alert Thread

marnold72

Re: M5 Safety Alert Thread

Postby marnold72 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:57 pm

Hi Folks,
I have ridden the M5 from River Road (AT) Revesby to the CBD the last 2 days (29/9 & 1/10).
I have ridden all the way along to the bike exit just before the tunnel entrance.
Riding to the city I have found to be fine, there is about 100 meters of baracades on the King Georges Road exit.
I havent found this to be too problematic and given that its in one of the exit lanes the traffic hasn't been too bad in terms of its moving speed.
I have been riding at 8am in the morning, so the traffic has been banked up well before then anyway :-)

On the way home from the CBD its a bit of a different story, at the Bexley Rd on ramp there are signs on the closest telegraph pole to the ramp (yellow signs) stating that the shoulder is closed to cyclists and to use the shared path.
I then have rode the shared path but a fair way along but the path then is also closed as well and there are signs saying to use "local streets"
I think its due to retaining wall work related to the work on the shoulder.
Today on my trip home I rode through Narwee and jumped back on the shared path at Penshurst Road and got back on he M5 proper (AT) Belmore Road.
I'll snap some photos next time I have the phone out.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:02 pm

At least for eastbound, I think there's a small sign on the left-hand side near the start of the Belmore Rd exit at Riverwood (the last you can take before KGR). Exceedingly easy to miss it though. I don't regularly use the Bexley Rd on-ramp, except when cycling, so don't know if there's anything better there.

It's probably difficult to put barricades across the shoulder, because some fool motorist will drive into them and cause a chain-reaction stack that closes
the M5 for half a day. But really, a "cyclists must exit" addition to the Belmore Rd sign and changing of the "cyclists cross here" sign along the ramp to "cyclists must exit"
would be really helpful. Additionally, the bicycles signs painted on the shoulder between Belmore Rd and Bexley Rd should be blacked out until the work is done ... just so
an errant cyclists isn't falsely reassured. IIRC, the "cross here" signs are still there, as are the painted signs on the shoulder
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:26 pm

Drove on the M5 just this weekend and i'd avoid it until the work has been done as the shoulders have been closed at the KGR on/exit ramp in both directions. Leaving the only possible place to ride is in the actual left lane itself which will have you mingling with trucks and cars flooring it trying to get up to speed.
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:24 pm

Emailed them today and it sounds like the work at KGR won't be finished until early 2017 :shock:

Anyone done the alternative route as marked in the PDF below?

Edit: the no access between KGR and Bexley also appears to be "permanent" according to the PDF :evil:
Thank you for your enquiry.

The King Georges Road Interchange Upgrade is the first phase of the NSW Government’s Westconnex project and is managed by contractor Fulton Hogan Pty Ltd. The works are estimated for completion early 2017. The eastbound and westbound shoulders will be closed from Belmore Rd ramps to King Georges Rd Ramps and through to the M5 East during this time. A cyclist detour route has been implemented which is shown in the following link http://www.westconnex.com.au/documents/ ... pgrade.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More information can be found at the project website http://www.westconnex.com.au/explore_th ... hange.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

SteveTheTiger

Postby SteveTheTiger » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:07 pm

Latest update on alternatives to M5 shared paths through Beverley Hills/Kingsgrove
http://www.westconnex.com.au/documents/ ... sgrove.pdf

Saro28

Postby Saro28 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:19 pm

Update on KG Rd on ramp. There is still some work at the intersection of on ramp approach from Beverly Hills. So small section of barricades remain closing bike/break down lane. After that the bike lane is completed with all barricades removed.
Work should be completed soon
Fight till the end n never give up. Cadel Evans 2012

Saro28

Postby Saro28 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:54 pm

And a late follow up. East and west bound is limited to King G Rd on/off ramps. Speed zone is 100kph. Ride safe, be careful crossing entry,exit ramps.
Fight till the end n never give up. Cadel Evans 2012

nmelser

Postby nmelser » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:47 pm

I'm planning on riding out to campbelltown stadium next saturday to watch the tigers play. I live in Dulwich Hill. I'll probably get the train back home. But I'm wondering what condition the M5 is in at the moment going westbound? Is construction impacting on the bike space? I've never been on the M5, or any big highway before, is it okay? I'm fine on busy inner west roads, not sure if it is stupid to attempt an M5 trip or not. If it isn't in good riding condition at the moment, is there an alternative to getting out there? Thanks for your time.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:18 am

The shoulder is still closed between Bexley Rd and King George's Rd. Detour is via local streets. The open part is fine for riding but be very careful crossing on and off ramps ... Lookout for idiots making last second turns.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:28 am

Also you will need to use the footpath on the bridge crossing the Georges River between Moorebank Rd and the Hume Hwy. You'll see why when you get there.

The rest of the ride down to the Stadium is pretty good.

Pity you'll ride all that way to see the Tigers lose. :-)

Kev.

nmelser

Postby nmelser » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:49 pm

Yeah, I saw the road is closed up until King George's, the back streets seem fine for that section.

Other sections don't have roadworks impacting on the shoulder?

Will be very careful on the exits.

I saw the George's river pedestrian path on google maps, but is it obvious when you're riding? It looks like it could be a sign that could be missed.

Also, would it be stupid to ride home after the game? It would be dark, I have lights. I figure I might need to ride the frustration of another loss off. But won't if it is too risky.

Finally, Is the M5 a ride you guys enjoy? Or is it just the speediest way home? Slightly dubious about the thought of 100km/h trucks racing past. I'm keen to try distance hwy runs, though.

Thanks for your assistance.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:00 am

When the M5 was open between Riverwood and Bexley North, it was a regular weekly ride for me and I found it more comfortable than riding on most roads. You get a lane to yourself mostly (rare to have a breakdown in the shoulder lane). A truck or car passing you at 50 kph on a backstreet is every bit as capable of killing you as one at 100 kph on the motorway. Visibility and clearance on the motorway give everyone a bigger margin for error. If you ride this section towards the city in morning peak hour, you'll be passing traffic for most of the way so the threat is even less. Just have to be wary of traffic accelerating onto the off-ramps.
WombatK

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:39 pm

The M5 is by far and away the safest section of road you'll ride on. As wombatK has stated, you get a whole breakdown lane to yourself. just watch out for debris. And yes, it's fast. Averages of up to 40km/h are not unusual.

When you cross the Moorebank Rd on ramp heading west, there is a side path on the left that is really easy to see. The breakdown lane ends soon after that and the end of the lane is quite visible so you wont miss it.

As for riding home in the dark, a lot of my rides a year or so ago were at 4:30am along there, so darkness isn't a problem so long as your lighting is up to the job - both front and rear.

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:56 pm

Road from Chatswood to Ingleburn today to see my mum. Haven't rode on the M5 for at least a year.

It's still a very good ride even with the shoulder closures at Bexley. Just means you have to take the shared path from Bexley to Belmore road where you can jump on the M5 shoulder again.

But one thing I don't miss are the debris...
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

troiks75

Postby troiks75 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:38 pm

An old thread but.....

Has anyone done the M5 lately? have been thinking about riding from the CBD to Campbelltown

fdawg

Postby fdawg » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:24 pm

troiks75 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:38 pm
An old thread but.....

Has anyone done the M5 lately? have been thinking about riding from the CBD to Campbelltown

I only ride in a fairly restricted locus of the M5, between Wattle Grove (i.e. Heathcote Road exit) and the M7 Cycleway. I prefer to drive to the M7 cycleway, but sometimes I either don't have the car or I get a weird notion in my head about the satisfaction of riding from my doorstep and not relying on a car to go for a bike ride (stupid way of thinking in SW Sydney). Today was one such day, left home at 9.30ish, it's a fairly brief 7 km along the M5 to the M7 cycleway. Lots of gravel and bits in the shoulder, but I've somehow never had a puncture. The passenger in a passing car stuck his head out a window and yelled at me to "get a real vehicle!". What makes him think that a bloke on an expensive carbon fibre road bike wouldn't have a nicer car than him? (I don't, but that's not the point). Anyway, dodged some of the larger chunks of debris and it was otherwise uneventful on the way out.

The ride home featured probably the single most terrifying incident I have experienced on the road. Somewhere after the M7 to M5 merge, a car crept up behind me and squeezed past, half in the shoulder and half in the lane, beeping at me as it did so, and then almost causing an accident with the other cars. It passed me with centimetres to spare. I don't know why it was in the shoulder - either weaving through traffic and they ended up there, or they ran out of road after the M7 merge and had been driving along in that bit (I've noticed a lot of drivers leave it to the last moment to merge).

Anyway Troiks, if you are an adrenaline junkie - and in my opinion that's one of the big draws of road cycling - go for it!

troiks75

Postby troiks75 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:50 am

fdawg wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:24 pm
troiks75 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:38 pm
An old thread but.....

I only ride in a fairly restricted locus of the M5, between Wattle Grove (i.e. Heathcote Road exit) and the M7 Cycleway. I prefer to drive to the M7 cycleway, but sometimes I either don't have the car or I get a weird notion in my head about the satisfaction of riding from my doorstep and not relying on a car to go for a bike ride (stupid way of thinking in SW Sydney). Today was one such day, left home at 9.30ish, it's a fairly brief 7 km along the M5 to the M7 cycleway. Lots of gravel and bits in the shoulder, but I've somehow never had a puncture. The passenger in a passing car stuck his head out a window and yelled at me to "get a real vehicle!". What makes him think that a bloke on an expensive carbon fibre road bike wouldn't have a nicer car than him? (I don't, but that's not the point). Anyway, dodged some of the larger chunks of debris and it was otherwise uneventful on the way out.

The ride home featured probably the single most terrifying incident I have experienced on the road. Somewhere after the M7 to M5 merge, a car crept up behind me and squeezed past, half in the shoulder and half in the lane, beeping at me as it did so, and then almost causing an accident with the other cars. It passed me with centimetres to spare. I don't know why it was in the shoulder - either weaving through traffic and they ended up there, or they ran out of road after the M7 merge and had been driving along in that bit (I've noticed a lot of drivers leave it to the last moment to merge).

Anyway Troiks, if you are an adrenaline junkie - and in my opinion that's one of the big draws of road cycling - go for it!
haha thanks mate, i am definitely keen to give it a go at least once........... early on a sunday morning might be best

fdawg

Postby fdawg » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:05 pm

Enjoy! Here's some actual advice:
* Vehicles won't generally be indicating when exiting, so it's best to cross further up, ideally in the spot with the bike painted on rather than earlier.
* Drivers will often slow down and flash their lights to let you cross on the entry ramps. If you're like me this is a guarantee you'll stuff up clipping in as you cross.
* Between Moorebank and Liverpool you will need to cross the Georges river, it's a bit blink and you'll miss it but you need to duck into the narrow fenced path on the side of the bridge, there's no shoulder on the bridge westbound. Then once you get to the other side of the bridge, you will be at the Liverpool exit.

What follows is a bit speculative and maybe someone else can chime in with more expertise:
* You can take this Liverpool exit onto the Hume highway to ride in the leftmost lane and then continue left onto Campbelltown Road either all the way to Ctown or by joining the Hume Motorway proper, or you can continue in the shoulder on the M5. However, if you take the latter option, you are supposed to exit at Beech road/the M7 exit and not continue as the M5 turns into the Hume (there's a no bike sign here) - I think the reason for this is that you would need to cross two lanes of traffic where Campbelltown road joins the Hume.
* If you want to get onto Camden Valley Way, I recommend taking the M7 exit rather than Beech road. The M7 exit will get you straight onto the M7 shared path which is nice, and then you just turn left to go up to Camden Valley Way.

Personally, I am moving from Holsworthy to Leumeah in a few weeks, which has me thinking a lot about this stuff, and in particular how best to get back from the M7 shared path to Leumeah without having to deal with too much traffic and intersections.

fdawg

Postby fdawg » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:33 pm

Actually, looking at it more closely, maybe you do want to take the Beech road exit, then go straight through the CVW intersection past Bunnings and continue on Beech Road to where it joins Campbelltown road. Just note that the traffic can get quite backed up waiting at the lights at the intersection of Beech road and Camden Valley Way.

You can also take the M7 cycle path exit, ride up to CVW, turn left onto the road and then follow that a short distance to where you get a bike path that runs alongside the road exit of M7 to CVW and takes you down to join the Hume (sorry if that's confusing).

troiks75

Postby troiks75 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:42 pm

fdawg wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:33 pm
Actually, looking at it more closely, maybe you do want to take the Beech road exit, then go straight through the CVW intersection past Bunnings and continue on Beech Road to where it joins Campbelltown road. Just note that the traffic can get quite backed up waiting at the lights at the intersection of Beech road and Camden Valley Way.

You can also take the M7 cycle path exit, ride up to CVW, turn left onto the road and then follow that a short distance to where you get a bike path that runs alongside the road exit of M7 to CVW and takes you down to join the Hume (sorry if that's confusing).
Once again thank you very much, excellent info. My Mum lives in Glenfield so may check it out this weekend. Not do the ride but have a look at the options