M5 Safety Alert Thread

NhiTrac

Re: M5 Safety Alert Thread

Postby NhiTrac » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:40 pm

Do you mean riding over the bridge that crosses the M5 via a right turn and connects to the M7? There is still a bike crossing sign in place as soon as you're on the Beech Road exit so that you can cross to the M7 exit so I assume so. No concrete walls or anything of that nature.

The arrangements I described where you don't take the exit, are there to stay. Their first response was with the below which prompted my recommendations around having new and clearer signs put in place. Hope that helps :D

Cyclists are directed to take the exit at the M7/Beech Road off ramp as shown in the attached image. This sign is not an optional route it is compulsory.

The next stage of construction at this location will make this route more complicated and dangerous for a cyclist not following the designated route, we ask that you follow the signage to avoid all risk. If you find that the signage at this location is not clear, we are open to your feedback and will look at additional options to safely direct cyclists around this area.
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:08 pm

That sign has always been there. When i was living at Mt Annan I tended to ignore it but, after driving that road on Saturday, I wouldn't be caught dead continuing on the M5 past Beech Rd while construction is happening. There is simply not enough room.

I do believe you can take Beech Rd then cross at some lights to jump on the M7 shoulder - been a while since I did that though so not too sure of the way.
2010 BMC SLC01

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:49 am

For those who commute the M5 towards the tunnel (East bound) - be advised that with the roadworks, the shoulder between Fairford Rd and KGR is now very narrow, and there is a lot of debris (mainly gravel and stuff) for long stretches.
Whilst it isn't deep enough to grab a wheel, I suspect a few punctures will occur due to it.

Can't wait to see what awaits me this afternoon for the return journey.

Cheers,

Kev.

Saro28

Postby Saro28 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:24 pm

Hey Kev,
and then there's the illuminated sign near Belmore Rd underpass that reduces the lane to half, and the cops who park in the same sort of positon. Both into work and home today the cops were parked in the lane, he was under the bridge in the shadow and I'm riding into the sun.
Fight till the end n never give up. Cadel Evans 2012

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:01 pm

Saro28 wrote:Hey Kev,
and then there's the illuminated sign near Belmore Rd underpass that reduces the lane to half, and the cops hide behind it. Both into work and home today the cops were parked in the lane, he was under the bridge in the shadow and I'm riding into the sun.
It's likely a nice little earner - there is a newly introduced 80 kph limit just where motorists might have gotten used to being able to accelerate back to 110.
It's gotta be catching lots out, given how often I've noticed the HWP with mobile camera milking that spot over the last week or so. And it's not even
end of month quota time.

Thanks for the Heads-Up about debris Kev - I hadn't noticed much of a problem last weekend, but maybe it's gotten worse.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:47 am

Kudos to the M5 crew, who must have run a sweeper over the breakdown lane sometime between yesterday morning and this morning, for today there was very little debris. :D

I was going to send them an email yesterday to request a clean up, but never got around to it.
Maybe they are monitoring this thread :?: :?: :?:

Speaking the HWP on the M5 - they were having a great time yesterday afternoon catching all the breakdown lane runners who were trying to avoid the jam due to the truck crash near Belmore Rd. Saw 2 peeps getting booked for that as I rode past them.

I wish they'd get out there more often to catch these idiots.

Kev.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:58 am

Kev365428 wrote: I wish they'd get out there more often to catch these idiots.

Kev.
+100. I love it when I see them doing that.

I think there's been less debris on the M5 since construction started - that maybe they've been a
bit more diligent about sweeping it. So not surprised it was fixed pretty quickly. Definitely a good
thing to have fixed quickly given we've now got much less width in which to dodge debris.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:02 am

+1

Kev.

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:35 pm

For those who travel westbound on the M5, be aware that there is literally no shoulder for you to ride on as you pass underneath the M7 southbound merging lanes at Casula.

I'm not sure how long it has been like this, as I go through Holsworthy on Moorebank Ave now, but when I drove down there on Saturday, I was amazed that they have moved the concrete barriers into their current position.

I didn't notice if there was a sign informing cyclist to take the M7 exit and then use Beech Rd to rejoin the Freeway further on, but that would be my advice if you are travelling towards Campbelltown.

Cheers,

Kev.

hannos

Postby hannos » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:02 pm

Kev365428 wrote:For those who travel westbound on the M5, be aware that there is literally no shoulder for you to ride on as you pass underneath the M7 southbound merging lanes at Casula.

I'm not sure how long it has been like this, as I go through Holsworthy on Moorebank Ave now, but when I drove down there on Saturday, I was amazed that they have moved the concrete barriers into their current position.

I didn't notice if there was a sign informing cyclist to take the M7 exit and then use Beech Rd to rejoin the Freeway further on, but that would be my advice if you are travelling towards Campbelltown.

Cheers,

Kev.
When I was living at Mt Annan, I used to ride that road.
There has, as far as I know, always been a sign telling cyclists to take the exit Beech Rd exit. I am assuming this is because you would then have to cross 2 lanes of the M7,which could be considered dangerous.
I always ignored the signs but with the roadworks going on and the amount of space available, Beech Rd exit is by far the best route.
2010 BMC SLC01

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:27 pm

Where'd you move to?

Kev.

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:33 pm

Gymea Bay.
2010 BMC SLC01

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:18 pm

Ah noooooooooo.

A Shire person!!!

Did the lobotomy hurt?
You know that you are not allowed to apply sunscreen to your neck now, don't you?

I'm originally from the Shire, so I'm allowed to say these things. lol.

Kev.

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:02 pm

Kev365428 wrote:For those who travel westbound on the M5, be aware that there is literally no shoulder for you to ride on as you pass underneath the M7 southbound merging lanes at Casula.

Cheers,

Kev.
Yup see my post at the top of this page. They (M5 folks) said that it would be like that permanently and we (cyclists) are instructed to take the Beech Road exit.

It actually makes no difference to my commute in terms of time, however it is 1 million times more safer.
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:31 am

Ah, now that I scroll to the top of the page, I remember that post NhiTrac. :oops:

Kev.

hannos

Postby hannos » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:13 am

Kev365428 wrote:Ah noooooooooo.

A Shire person!!!

Did the lobotomy hurt?
You know that you are not allowed to apply sunscreen to your neck now, don't you?

Kev.
So am I!
I've moved back home and don't miss a single thing about living in Mt Annan :twisted: :lol:
2010 BMC SLC01

rogan

Postby rogan » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:42 pm

hannos wrote:
Kev365428 wrote:Ah noooooooooo.

A Shire person!!!

Did the lobotomy hurt?

Kev.
So am I!
I've moved back home and don't miss a single thing about living in Mt Annan :twisted: :lol:
Used to live down that way. Summer at Mt Annan/Narellan. It's hot today. It was hot yesterday. It will be hot tomorrow. Beach is 1 hour+ away. No pool. You're hot, and you're gonna stay hot...

Till winter, when the wind will whip off the Southern Highlands and your grass will die of exposure. I remember standing on Campbelltown station one morning. It was minus 3, with a massive southerly. :shock: :? I didn't think it could get so cold in Sydney. The coldest I have ever been. It was overcast, but not raining, which is a shame, coz I reckon it would have fallen as snow.

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:19 am

My first 3 days of commutes this year resulted in 8 punctures, all along the M5.

Sent an email to them saying that the breakdown lanes in both directions needed sweeping, as I was fast running out of tubes.

This reply came back 36 hours later.

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for your email to the M5 West Widening Team regarding the debris along the shoulders of the motorway.

This section of the motorway was swept on Sunday night but as a result of your email we have swept the westbound carriageway again today, the eastbound carriageway should be reswept in the coming days.
Our fleet of sweepers regularly sweep both carriageways, we will continue to monitor this area but please let us know if you still encounter debris along the motorway in the future.

Thanks again for your email, please call the community information line on 1800 986 933 if you would like more information regarding the widening of the M5 South West Motorway.

Kind regards,

M5 West Widening Team

Pretty impressed by the rapid response, and the committment to re-sweep again.
Kudos to the M5 team.

Kev.

MREJ

Postby MREJ » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:12 pm

Kev, how is the motorway with all the roadwork going on? I've been reluctant to use it for safety reasons, what with the barriers, changing lanes, and narrow breakdown lanes in places
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:49 am

It's a little tight in places - namely heading west just after you cross the Henry Lawson Drive off ramp. The barrier is placed a little close to the lane marking for my liking, but it's still about a metre wide (maybe a bit more), and it only lasts for about 15 meters or so.
Also heading west, between River Rd and about 300m before the HLD off ramp, they have errected a concrete barrier about 1.5 metres away fromt he traffic lane, so it's also a little tight.
Heading east they have just put a concrete barrier going up the hill towards the River Rd off ramp which goes all the way to the off ramp. It makes the crossing of the ramp a little more difficult, becase of the narrowness of the lane and the reduction in distance and available time to kead check for traffic. You need to be on your toes a bit for that one.

All things considered, I still find it to be the safest 18km of my 39km commute. I have many more issues with the suburban and semi-rural roads that I have to navigate each day.

In other places it's pretty good, where the available lane for cyclists is 10 metres wide or more.
The only other issue is the amount of debris that accummulates in the narrower breakdown lanes now.

Cheers,

Kev.

MREJ

Postby MREJ » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:07 am

Thanks Kev. I think I'll saddle up the pony again. I can get off at River Rd anyway, as my ride finishes at East Hills.

In general, I agree that the M5 is relatively safe. It's the suburban corners and roundabouts that are the biggest worry.

Marcus
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:00 am

Kev365428 wrote:... The only other issue is the amount of debris that accummulates in the narrower breakdown lanes now ...
This.

It is a universal hindrance to cycle commuting, whether it be on main arterials such as the M5 or normal roads such as Old Prospect Rd. It would be great if councils would use their street sweeping trucks occasionally in these situations. Even bicycle paths could do with some form of sweeping.

While I only cycle in Sydney while on holidays, the same problems are encountered here in Melbourne. And I find at times when you avoid the cycle lane/path due to debris this is when MM's tell you to get in the lane/path. I'm sure they wouldn't enjoy driving their bogan-mobiles in such conditions lest they get a scratch/puncture!

maDKient

Postby maDKient » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:52 pm

michael_w wrote:
Kev365428 wrote:... The only other issue is the amount of debris that accummulates in the narrower breakdown lanes now ...
This.

It is a universal hindrance to cycle commuting, whether it be on main arterials such as the M5 or normal roads such as Old Prospect Rd. It would be great if councils would use their street sweeping trucks occasionally in these situations. Even bicycle paths could do with some form of sweeping.

While I only cycle in Sydney while on holidays, the same problems are encountered here in Melbourne. And I find at times when you avoid the cycle lane/path due to debris this is when MM's tell you to get in the lane/path. I'm sure they wouldn't enjoy driving their bogan-mobiles in such conditions lest they get a scratch/puncture!
The side debris is the worst, the sole reason why I stopped commuting on the M5. Too many punctures.

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:55 am

To all those that get off at the Bexley exit, the gate is spring loaded and will close itself so don't push it so hard that you jam it open! And if you do jam it open, close the bloody gate!!!
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

gauchoracer

Postby gauchoracer » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:49 pm

Greetings M5 travelling folks,
Noticed this week that the shoulder under the heathcote Rd overpass, Eastbound, has only half, if not less, than the shoulder room of the rest of the M5..
Maybe the width of two painted lines.... :shock:
I have not ridden this week, but when i do, i think i will take the off ramp, and cross at the lights, and then get back on the M5..
Suggest that you all take care...
Max...
Rule No 1: Have Fun.
07 Avanti Blade Comp.
08 Teschner Piuma SL.
10 Norco Storm MTB.