M5 Safety Alert Thread

NhiTrac

Re: M5 Safety Alert Thread

Postby NhiTrac » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:02 pm

gauchoracer wrote:Greetings M5 travelling folks,
Noticed this week that the shoulder under the heathcote Rd overpass, Eastbound, has only half, if not less, than the shoulder room of the rest of the M5..
Maybe the width of two painted lines.... :shock:
I have not ridden this week, but when i do, i think i will take the off ramp, and cross at the lights, and then get back on the M5..
Suggest that you all take care...
Max...
I havent ridden this week either. But if you see something that is obviously dangerous, just shoot an email to the M5 widening team and whack "Danger" in your subject. Everytime I've done that they've had someone out within 24 hours to investigate and its usually fixed the same night if not the next day or two at most.

Have to give them credit for that bit.
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:58 am

There is room on the left hand side of the concrete barrier under Heathcote Rd.
Suggest you go that side instead of the other.

On another note - beware of the narrow shoulder between Fairford Rd and Belomore Rd tavelling east. They have layed that loose crap all over the shoulder and then sprayed tar over it to help hold it down, just prior to resurfacing it sometime in the next few days (at least thats ny guess).

Unless you want to ride on that type of surface, the ridable shoulder is only a foot wide at best.

Cheers.

Kev.

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:00 pm

Anyone ridden the M5 lately? I almost rode from Revesby to Campbelltown, but decided not to as I know there's been a lot work with the widening and I haven't driven on it for awhile, thus didn't know the current state of the shoulders.

Thanks.
Ht: 182cm | Wt: 84kg | Bikes: Felt AR1 2016, Felt B2 2013
Sucessful Trades --> files.dward.us/Cycling/BNA-Trades.txt

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:32 pm

I did the entire length of it last week and it's fine. Widening project finished a while ago.

Ps when you get to the Crossroads you need to take the exit, go down past Bunnings and Costco then back onto the Hume.
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:57 pm

NhiTrac wrote:I did the entire length of it last week and it's fine. Widening project finished a while ago.

Ps when you get to the Crossroads you need to take the exit, go down past Bunnings and Costco then back onto the Hume.
Thanks for the info.

So once you get off at the Crossroads you rejoin at Moorebank ave or Heathcote?

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:36 am

Which crossroads are you talking about haha?

I'm talking about this one. Assuming you're heading to Campbelltown from Revesby, you take the Beech Road exit and follow that all the way to Campbelltown Road where you join back onto the Hume then you can go all the way to Campbelltown.

And for the return trip, you can just stay on the Hume/M5 all the way back to Revesby without having to take any detours.

Hope that helps.
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

Saro28

Postby Saro28 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:41 pm

Good map.
Yep Use Beech rd exit M5, follow Beech all the way to Cambelltown rd, turn right and return onto Hwy. Camden Valley Way has an extensive cycleway heading west for a variation/deviation
Fight till the end n never give up. Cadel Evans 2012

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:18 pm

NhiTrac wrote:Which crossroads are you talking about haha?

I'm talking about this one. Assuming you're heading to Campbelltown from Revesby, you take the Beech Road exit and follow that all the way to Campbelltown Road where you join back onto the Hume then you can go all the way to Campbelltown.

And for the return trip, you can just stay on the Hume/M5 all the way back to Revesby without having to take any detours.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the response. I didn't see this reply.

My worry was more from Revesby to Beach Rd. Is there an issue with the shoulder from the Beach exit to the Campbelltown rd junction?
I must look next time I drive there, although that could be awhile away.

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:46 pm

Saro28 wrote:Good map.
Yep Use Beech rd exit M5, follow Beech all the way to Cambelltown rd, turn right and return onto Hwy. Camden Valley Way has an extensive cycleway heading west for a variation/deviation
Thanks!
Yes Camden Valley Way has come a long way! In the last 2 years of road work.

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:21 pm

DaveQB wrote:
Is there an issue with the shoulder from the Beach exit to the Campbelltown rd junction?
I must look next time I drive there, although that could be awhile away.
There is no shoulder once you've taken the exit onto Beach Road but that's not an issue. It's mostly quiet with slow traffic because of red lights. Just claim the lane until you're on Campbelltown Road where the shoulder starts and joins the Hume again.
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:07 pm

Anyone riding M5 thru Beverly Hills, M5 web stated that shoulders will be closed from 9/8/15 to 28/02/17 for King George`s Road Interchange project.

http://www.m5motorway.com.au/about-m5/roadwork-alerts
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Saro28

Postby Saro28 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:38 pm

Thanks BK
I've seen the barricades going west prior to King G Rd, do you know if it's the same happening eastbound? I haven't driven along there for a while.
So we will need to use the cycle path from Bexley North/Kingsgrove up to KG rd and on ramp to go west

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:01 pm

I never ride on M5 and have no car. Don`t know of eastbound. I got told by friend that he heard of M5 closure for bikes.
So I looked for it and found the M5 web info.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

GRider2192

Postby GRider2192 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:00 pm

This segment is currently blocked and has no access.

https://www.strava.com/segments/5747076" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shame, i really enjoyed this segment riding through the S's.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:43 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:Anyone riding M5 thru Beverly Hills, M5 web stated that shoulders will be closed from 9/8/15 to 28/02/17 for King George`s Road Interchange project.

http://www.m5motorway.com.au/about-m5/roadwork-alerts
Nothing on that link... but there is this:

http://www.westconnex.com.au/documents/ ... y_2015.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cyclists on the M5 South-West Motorway and M5 East Motorway

From 9 August 2015, cyclists who currently ride on the shoulder of the M5 South-West Motorway will be detoured off the
motorway at Belmore Road. Detours will be via either the shared path on the southern side of the motorway or via
Hannans Road. Fixed signage will be put in place on the motorway as well as changes to road markings.
Cyclists travelling west on the M5 East Motorway will be detoured at Bexley Road, onto the shared path on the southern
side of the motorway. They will be able to join the motorway at Belmore Road.
While it says from 9 August, I last rode that section on Sunday 10th August and there were no detours at those points.
Was a bit squeezy riding just east of the KGR on-ramp shoulder, due to barrier encroachment, but there was still
more room than you get on lots of other roads.

Haven't ridden the alleged bike path on the south side of M5 from Belmore Rd to KGR for probably 2 years or so, but
my memory is that it's a really woeful option ... with narrow uprooted paths and some aggro magpies to boot.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:57 pm

Road the entire length of the M5 today starting from Bexley North and did not see any closures. There were some barriers in place along KGR but as mentioned, theres still more than enough to ride safely there.
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:50 pm

Thanks for that NhiTrac
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Saro28

Postby Saro28 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:15 pm

ALERT ALL.... DO NOT attempt............. west bound shoulder is closed where the barricades are before KG rd. Only use bike path from Bexley Rd to KG rd.

I 'm not sure about east bound, but expect this to be an issue too.

Spread the word..........

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:43 pm

Saro28 wrote:ALERT ALL.... DO NOT attempt............. west bound shoulder is closed where the barricades are before KG rd. Only use bike path from Bexley Rd to KG rd.

I 'm not sure about east bound, but expect this to be an issue too.

Spread the word..........
100% agree ... drove past it on Thursday and the barriers had been moved out leaving less than 50 cm of shoulder for a 100m or more just before the west-bound exit to King Georges
Rd. Probably even less shoulder than you get on the Southern Cross Drive overpass just as it ramps up from General Holmes Drive. And maybe 5 to 10 times more trucks and B-doubles trying to blast past at 100 kph rather than the 80 kph allowed on SCD.

I don't understand why the vehicular limit has not been dropped back to 80 kph in view of the lack of shoulders.
WombatK

thomas1987

Postby thomas1987 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:48 pm

Can someone please post a google maps/streetview link of exactly where the bike lanes are closed? I am planning to ride from Bankstown Airport to the Cooks River cycleway via bike path along the M5 that runs from Salt Pan Reserve to Bexley North Station. Will I be affect be this closure? If so what are the alternative paths? I've not ridden in these area before so I will appreciate some advice. Thanks

Saro28

Postby Saro28 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:07 pm

Hi Thomas

the bike paths aren't affected.
currently as above the motorway is not suitable west bound from Bexley rd to King G's Rd

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/Bexl ... 35!1m0!3e0

Saro28

Postby Saro28 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:37 pm

As I drove my car onto the 5 from Bexley Rd today I saw a Hand Cycle being propelled along. In awe I gave a toot and a thumbs up. And then I remembered the closed break down lane. So I stopped up ahead in the truck/rest area and waited for the rider. I got his attention to let him know what's ahead. He's said he knows he was there on Saturday and went through it. With a quick chat and introduction I offered to assist his safe passage using my car. All good, all clear and safe past the KG Rd off ramp.
Hats off to Todd Philpott, Australian Olympic Champion. Please do a search

Can we assist Todd at all? His training/race rig runs singles and he told me last week he had 3 punctures. That's 3 tyres gone. To most of us we step off and get it sorted with a new tube and away. To him it's a full $100 replacement to complete training and get home and he is in a chair.
So for all riders of the 5, I suggest we continue to notify the M5 Authority to have the break down lane swept more frequently than it currently is.

This is about Todd, you and all cyclists who ride. United we stand.

Warin

Postby Warin » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:08 pm

Think the NRMA do free wheel chair repairs ... don't know what they'd think of a single...

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:58 pm

Driving through on Tuesday 29th, the west-bound shoulder from King Georges Rd has now dissappeared for the first 200m or so alongside the west-bound off-ramp.
There might be about 30 cm of shoulder left.

Tangling with lead-foots accelerating onto the west-bound M5 is 200% not for the feint-hearted. Unlike the east-bound closed area, congestion rarely calms the west-bound
on-traffic (might even inflame more than a fair proportion of them. If you're not in a wheelchair yet, I wouldn't risk it. And with all respect to Todd, I would even recommend against it for a wheelchair athlete.

If you do come to grief, it's officially closed to bicycles and you'd be left trying to run an argument about inadequate notice. I wouldn't like to be your lawyer.
WombatK

Saro28

Postby Saro28 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:23 pm

stupid me had to run the gauntlet today about 12pm, wound it up to max and got a lucky break. I knew it was there but was up near the truck bay when I remembered. I didn't notice any signs about "no bikes" or anything else for that matter. I did see it's 80kph until after roadworks. There really should be a definitive " no bikes allowed barricade" before Bexley Rd on ramp, and west of KG rd on ramp also.
Yep yr in the traffic which means 100% flat out. I'm driving into the airport and back so I'll check signage both ways tomoz.