Parramatta river cycle way

Hergest

Re: Parramatta river cycle way

Postby Hergest » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:12 am

The signage should have been done when the job was first completed. Some new signs were put up but the old ones were left and the new signs were ambiguous. It's got nothing to do with tradies being able to pick jobs but everything to do with poor organisation at the completion of a contract. Putting up the correct signage as a separate job was probably billed at a few thousand dollars rather than as part of the original contract. This bit of path has been needed for over 20 years, It's what they should have done with our rate monies years and years ago.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:30 pm

Got email from CAMWEST that had forwarded to let someone know that PVC at 2 locations will be closed on Monday 12th between 6.30am and 3pm. No full info provided.

Detour between Macarthur Street via Thomas Street and to Victoria Rd via Marsden Street.

Might have to do this temporary route,
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:35 pm

More than $10 million has been allocated to the Escarpment Boardwalk out of the State Government’s Cycling Infrastructure Fund, and construction is expected to be completed in early 2019.

Where possible, construction of the project will be in parallel with Transport for NSW’s Transport Access Program upgrade of the Parramatta Ferry Wharf to minimise impacts to ferry customers, as well as surrounding businesses and residents.

NSW Treasurer Dominic Perrottet said funding set aside in the NSW State Budget, to be delivered on Tuesday 19 June, would help build the foreshore path.

More info in this link

MISSING LINK OF PARRAMATTA RIVER FORESHORE PATH TO BE BUILT IN THE CBD.

Much better than going over the Gasworks bridge after mid`19 and need 1 more to go of the Subiaco Creek to Uni without going thru the current new route at an unknown date.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

mmel

Postby mmel » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:17 pm

The crossing at McArthur Street bugs me.
I've got so many questions regarding its correct usage:
  • Is the path on the western side of the road considered a bike path? My gut feel says no, it just isn't free enough of obstructions to be signed off as one?
  • Are cyclists supposed to turn onto the road only from the end of the bike path when heading westbound?
  • Can I be riding northbound on McArthur street and turn right onto the bike path via the crossing? If not, what is the correct, legal procedure for entering the bike path from that direction? Pull to the side of the road, dismount and cross as a pedestrian?
I feel I can do no right regarding this section of road. I have been beeped and hollered at whether I've dismounted to cross, not dismounted to cross, turned stright left onto McArthur St.. I can't seem to win.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:07 am

mmel wrote: [*]Is the path on the western side of the road considered a bike path? My gut feel says no, it just isn't free enough of obstructions to be signed off as one?
[*]Are cyclists supposed to turn onto the road only from the end of the bike path when heading westbound?
[*]Can I be riding northbound on McArthur street and turn right onto the bike path via the crossing? If not, what is the correct, legal procedure for entering the bike path from that direction? Pull to the side of the road, dismount and cross as a pedestrian?
The western path along the gasworks bridge is marked on various maps as a cyclepath. It provide the link from Rydalmere to the southern side of the Parramatta river.

You'd dismount on the bicycle and cross the pedestrian crossing and then continue on along the path on the gasworks bridge.

For entering the bike path from McArthur st, if there were no cars around, you could possibly turn right onto the bike path at the pedestrian crossing (legal Im not sure) otherwise it would be quite dangerous as oncoming traffic would not expect you to make a right turn at the pedestrian crossing.

You could jump on to the shared path at Macarthur / George St and ride along to the crossing. Then dismount and cross the pedestrian crossing.

The times I have ridden across this, or on to Macarthur st, I haven't had a problem.

mmel

Postby mmel » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:12 am

tez001 wrote:The times I have ridden across this, or on to Macarthur st, I haven't had a problem.
You're probably right. I think I'm just dirty about this part because the rest of the pathway is so nice now! Can't wait for the proposed extensions.

elden.mcd

Postby elden.mcd » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:02 pm

"The Gasworks Bridge underpass, accessed via George Street, will be permanently closed to traffic towards the end of April or into May. It will be used as a site compound. When work is finished, the underpass will become an expanded and landscaped public park area along the Parramatta River Foreshore Reserve." - April update from the Parramatta Light Rail Project to residents.

That'll be one less black spot on the PVC! The underpass crosses the cycleway and traffic has always swung through without indicating or slowing down.

SteveTheTiger

Postby SteveTheTiger » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:46 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:More than $10 million has been allocated to the Escarpment Boardwalk out of the State Government’s Cycling Infrastructure Fund, and construction is expected to be completed in early 2019.

Where possible, construction of the project will be in parallel with Transport for NSW’s Transport Access Program upgrade of the Parramatta Ferry Wharf to minimise impacts to ferry customers, as well as surrounding businesses and residents.
So when will this be completed? Has anyone seen any work?

elden.mcd

Postby elden.mcd » Thu May 02, 2019 3:31 pm

The ferry wharf has just been closed for replacement, it's possible they've been waiting for that to start. On the other hand, Anthony Albanese, on the campaign trail, announced today "A Shorten Labor Government will invest $6.2 million in Parramatta to improve access for cyclists and pedestrians along the Parramatta River and also undertake revegetation works on the Parramatta River along these shared paths. ... A new river level connection between Rangihou Reserve and Charles Street Weir with pedestrian connections to Macarthur Street and Stewart Street." That sounds a lot like the Escarpment Boardwalk to me.

Campaign press release here

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:54 pm

A hugely dangerous man-trap has been placed at either end of the works being carried out near Archer Creek at the western end of Meadowbank Park.

These are comprised of speed bumps that are unusually high and steep, placed at pretty close to typical wheel-to-wheel distances, and are very much guaranteed to unseat any cyclist who fails to see the signs and dismount.

They were installed last week, and were not there for at least a week after the path narrowing hoardings had been erected - and no additional signage was erected when they were installed. Two cyclists riding at night about 100m ahead of me crashed after the lead cyclist failed to notice the new additions. Luckily, they were travelling slowly and not seriously injured, and luckily their crash prevented me from going the same way. Others might not be so lucky, and a serious injury will occur if these remain in place.

I very much doubt that these comply with the standards for shared cycleway or footpath construction and they can not be legal. They are also a huge obstacle anbd tripping hazard to parents with strollers, mobility scooters and pedestrians.

But until Ryde Council takes some action to rectify the threat, please be very careful. You don't want to spend the next year or so recovering from a broken hip or shoulder.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:30 pm

From BikeNorth newsletter
Intermittent Closure of Subiaco Creek Boardwalk
City of Parramatta is undertaking urgent maintenance on Subiaco Creek boardwalk.
To fix the issue with the decking, there will be interruptions at Subiaco Creek.

Works are scheduled from 12 December and users will be subject to minor delays, we appreciate your patience and understanding.

12-24th December, and 6-10th January.

Access will be maintained during the works, but managed (stop/go people) and there will be delays.

Alternative access is available via Pike Street and Thomas Street throughout the duration of the project.

Please have patience and be kind to the workers, managed access is the only feasible way we can undertake the works!

Mark Crispin

Senior Transport Planner | City Strategy

02 9806 5632 | 0438 054 971

City of Parramatta
126 Church Street, Parramatta NSW 2150

PO Box 32, Parramatta, NSW 2124

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:16 pm

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:21 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:16 pm
Holy crap! Never seen that car park flooded before and I work right near there. :shock: :!:

That would take that carpark totally out of action I think - the entrance to it is at the ground floor (under the bridge). I've never seen the cycleway that much underwater either.

I hope the carpark and basement of my building are not flooded. :shock:

There is another twitter feed with video from inside the carpark:
https://twitter.com/ClrDonnaDavis/statu ... 4999563265

And this from Bridge Street Sydney:
https://static.ffx.io/images/$zoom_0.51 ... 89ab5b2bad

I've never seen Bridge Street looking that bad before. And I used to work there for a very, very long time. :shock:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:22 am

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/cas ... 545de.html

They are going to try and finish off the missing part of the cycle way. I say try, because even though something is announced doesn’t mean it will happen. And if it does, the government can very well rip it up as well.

roberto73

Postby roberto73 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:03 am

And so can the regular floods. I think they started on this a couple of years ago but the preliminary works around the cliffs got swept away.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:48 pm

roberto73 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:03 am
And so can the regular floods. I think they started on this a couple of years ago but the preliminary works around the cliffs got swept away.
That's what I thought too. I mean look at the posts a bit further before yours.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:38 am

Section of the path between Silverwater Rd and just before the ferry wharf (where the toilet block is) has been closed off for works, so you need to detour around on John st. Note that it appears half of the road has been blocked off for cyclists and its a two way path (with one side of the road for one way traffic)

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:17 pm

tez001 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:38 am
Section of the path between Silverwater Rd and just before the ferry wharf (where the toilet block is) has been closed off for works, so you need to detour around on John st. Note that it appears half of the road has been blocked off for cyclists and its a two way path (with one side of the road for one way traffic)
I was wondering about that when I rode through there on Monday and saw the fencing - thanks for the update

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:36 pm

tez001 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:38 am
I understand they are building a separate path for cyclists, to separate bikes and others along this section of the river. A few signs saying "pedestrians keep left, and respond to bells or verbal alerts" would be a lot cheaper.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:00 am

The seperated cycle path and pedestrian path at Eric Primrose Reserve is now open.
Workers were removing all of the temporary fencing this morning when I went through

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:57 pm

Rode this new section yesterday afternoon. There were more pedestrians on the dedicated bike-only path than the pedestrian-only path!

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:55 pm

Some people are f__ked in the head.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:34 am

tez001 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:00 am
The seperated cycle path and pedestrian path at Eric Primrose Reserve is now open.
Workers were removing all of the temporary fencing this morning when I went through
A new section? What was the need for this new section? I didn't think the old one was a problem and didn't have any issues with pedestrians along there in all the times I rode through there before this was built.

Seems like a waste of money that could have been better spent to expanding the cycleway further elsewhere.

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:16 am

It'd be good for the Spring Cycle. I know how much you love that event ...

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:29 am

AndrewCowley wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:16 am
It'd be good for the Spring Cycle. I know how much you love that event ...
If it's the bit of path I think it is, that was already plenty wide enough. More work needs to happen to make this project a reality:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/unt ... 566q4.html

That's of more use than fixing things that were fine already. However it is from a Labor aligned think-tank, so the chances of it going anywhere are about zero. Here is the full report:

https://mckellinstitute.org.au/research ... bour-city/
Last edited by g-boaf on Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.